What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 13 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #421
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Those holes are meant to be covered I think. The small hole in the one water jacket area slows down the water flow so it has time to pick up the heat out of the head I believe. I checked those against other gaskets and they appear to be the same.

I researched the 1011-2 gaskets and found this statement:

That may explain why they didn't hold if your heads were not grooved. Without a groove the wire ring held the head up too high and it would not seal the water jackets properly.

Try the 9333PT1 gaskets instead or have your heads grooved to accept the 1011-2 gaskets.
I'll check the heads when I get home in about 20 mins.but that is wierd because that gasket set was the one that trickflow recommends. but ill look here soon and see if they are grooved.thanx for the info, you may be onto something.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Did Jay have his grooved? I believe he has stock heads.

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

No my heads are not grooved.good call.I may try the others.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #422
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I'll check the heads when I get home in about 20 mins.but that is wierd because that gasket set was the one that trickflow recommends. but ill look here soon and see if they are grooved.thanx for the info, you may be onto something.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Did Jay have his grooved? I believe he has stock heads.

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

No my heads are not grooved.good call.I may try the others.
Maybe Trick Flow forgot to impart that information, or possibly the info I found is incorrect? I don't know for 100% sure, but it makes sense as to why they would leak if the groove is needed and you don't have one in your heads.

No Jay did not have his grooved. He tried the MLS gaskets and they didn't hold probably because he had stock heads and block. The MLS require a certain machined finish to work properly. The 9333 gaskets are what his tuner recommended and used on his car.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #423
Road Trip!

Quote:

Maybe Trick Flow forgot to impart that information, or possibly the info I found is incorrect? I don't know for 100% sure, but it makes sense as to why they would leak if the groove is needed and you don't have one in your heads.

No Jay did not have his grooved. He tried the MLS gaskets and they didn't hold probably because he had stock heads and block. The MLS require a certain machined finish to work properly. The 9333 gaskets are what his tuner recommended and used on his car.
Sweet.thanx man.it makes a lot of sense to me to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #424
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Sweet.thanx man.it makes a lot of sense to me to.
You're welcome, but be sure to double check what I tell you please. A lot of times I'm going from memory and it has been known to be incorrect.

I would feel terrible if something I shared was wrong and it cost you money or grief.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #425
Road Trip!

Quote:

You're welcome, but be sure to double check what I tell you please. A lot of times I'm going from memory and it has been known to be incorrect.

I would feel terrible if something I shared was wrong and it cost you money or grief.
Don't sweat it.I always triple check all information I receive from anyone.if I screw it up again its my fault. I am on my way to the local speedshop right now.and I bring my gaskets with.I also may call summit or something to double check. Thanx again.I will let you know what they said to.and Mayne tomorrow I will start wrenching.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #426
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Don't sweat it.I always triple check all information I receive from anyone.if I screw it up again its my fault. I am on my way to the local speedshop right now.and I bring my gaskets with.I also may call summit or something to double check. Thanx again.I will let you know what they said to.and Mayne tomorrow I will start wrenching.
Wish I could do more to help you.
IF, I ever win the lottery or come up with that million dollar idea (big IF there), my friends on here will benefit too.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #427
Road Trip!

Ok.got back from the speed shop.I got Lucky and got a really smart dude.he proceded to tell me a story about his first head job on a sbf.he didn't use thread sealant on the bottom bolts the first 4 times.and everytime he had issues.anyways I am leaning toward me not using thread sealant on the bottom bolts is the problem.that was actually the first question he asked me.any ways he also said he uses the same gasket I had at least 20 times on all sorts of heads.and they are the ones I want.so I asked him about the ring.he said you do not use these gaskets on grooved heads.the ring is actually a "crush ring". It is specifically designed to crush around .039" when the bolts are torqued.the locwire gaskets do require grooves though. I didn't even say anything and by a quick glance at what I had in my hand the guy says " ah you need some 1011-2s".I was pretty impressed with his knowledge and feel confident that I will get it this time.the only problem with this dude is he is in the middle of dropping an ls1 in his Fox.

But anyways the next couple of days I'm gonna wrench a little here and there and get er done.I picked up some cheap oil, new filter, intake gasket, and coolant also.

The only other problem I'm not sure if I mentioned yet or not, is when I pulled the dizzy I am starting to see a little wear on the dizzy gear.if you remember I rigged up a bushing.it may or maynot be ok, but I don't want to take a chance and I am going to order that.I wasn't getting any vibrations or anything and it may even be caused from water getting on it.the gear was actually a little rusty from the coolant that got in there.but I don't wanna risk it.I spin the motor over by hand and checked the cam gear and it looks great.

P.s. I'm hoping for you to win that lotto. . Thanx again Trojan.I really appreciate all the info you give me.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Oh yeah.I forgot to mention.since the rings are crush rings they can only be torqued down once so there was no way of using them again no matter how good they looked.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #428
Road Trip!
Supporter

I read that information about the gaskets here - Jegs - in the overview, but I guess they are maybe talking about 3 different gaskets? Kind of confusing to me. Sorry

I'd go ahead and get the gear you need just to be safe.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #429
Road Trip!

no reason to be sorry.i really thought you were on to something and i can see how that can be confusing.but hey i feel like i learned a little bit about gaskets through this mess anyways.now i just cant wait to hear it fire again.i dont even care if i dont get to drive it for a while.but i will feel better once i hear that baby purr again.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #430
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have been following this thread since the beginning and i'm excited to see what the outcome is. hope you figure it all out and its relatively simple.
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #431
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack
I have been following this thread since the beginning and i'm excited to see what the outcome is. hope you figure it all out and its relatively simple.
Thanx for the encouragement! I will probably start wrenching a little tonight.and I may have found a dizzy gear on another forum.so hopefully that works out.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #432
Registered Member
Regular

that's great!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #433
Road Trip!

Ok bout got deck prepped
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120403_170142.png
Views:	61
Size:	481.3 KB
ID:	45858  
Old 04-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #434
Road Trip!

Calling it a night.I'm pooped.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #435
Road Trip!

Progress
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120403_213020.png
Views:	54
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	45870  
Old 04-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #436
Registered Member
Regular

looking good man! where you from i'm in Ohio?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #437
Road Trip!

north west in. valparaiso

thanx

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

i really took my time prepping the deck more than ever just cause i was so paranoid.lol but i got the heads,intake,carb, and valve train buttoned up.now i have to bolt up the headers dizzy and accesorys.i already have my throttle bracket on.my fuel line is just one hose that needs to be hooked up.so to sum it up i got just a couple hours of work. once i get my new dizzy gear she should be ready....again!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #438
Registered Member
Regular

heck ya man! you should video you're first fire up
Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #439
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack
heck ya man! you should video you're first fire up
I will.I technically already have it from before I blew the gasket. But I will anyways.I like taking videos.lol
Old 04-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #440
Road Trip!

Do I need to wait till I'm ready to fire and prelube the valve train again?or can I dump some oil on there and seal up the valve cover while I wait to get my gear.the rockers where still oily.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #441
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Do I need to wait till I'm ready to fire and prelube the valve train again?or can I dump some oil on there and seal up the valve cover while I wait to get my gear.the rockers where still oily.
Squirt some oil on the friction points and button it up. It won't be any worse than normal start ups IMO.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #442
Road Trip!

Ok good.I'm gonna take a break today anyways.when I first started it last time I didn't get one tick.I used almost a quart on each side in an oiled can.but anyways I got all vacuum,fuel, and water lines on.all accessories are on.headers on.throttle cable on.all wires and grounds hooked up.I can't do a whole lot more till I get my gear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120404_173802.png
Views:	63
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	45943  
Old 04-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #443
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
good progress man,i have read up on this thread also,so i wish you the best of luck aswell
bad_little_pwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #444
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_little_pwny
good progress man,i have read up on this thread also,so i wish you the best of luck aswell
Thanx man.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #445
Road Trip!

Hey, after I drained my oil the other day.I noticed that it did not have any coolant in it.my coolant also did not have any oil in it.so i left the oil in the pan to see if maybe it would separate or the water would rise.and nothing.I would have thought how much water was in the valve cover, I would have seen something in the oil.

Is this strange?
Did I possibly turn the motor off fast enough that it didn't circulate into the pan?

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Another thing I was wondering.I don't have a PVC.on one valve cover I have a breather.the other I just have an oil filler tube.could the be related somehow?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #446
Road Trip!

I wonder if something happened to the oil pump? When I get off work I am gonna put a socket on the shaft to verify.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #447
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Hey, after I drained my oil the other day.I noticed that it did not have any coolant in it.my coolant also did not have any oil in it.so i left the oil in the pan to see if maybe it would separate or the water would rise.and nothing.I would have thought how much water was in the valve cover, I would have seen something in the oil.

Is this strange?
Did I possibly turn the motor off fast enough that it didn't circulate into the pan?

Another thing I was wondering.I don't have a PVC.on one valve cover I have a breather.the other I just have an oil filler tube.could the be related somehow?
That's strange. Maybe the coolant followed the head studs up and it only got into the valve cover area?
The coolant/water will go to the bottom of the pan as it is heavier than the oil.
At any rate that is a good thing! Lessens the chance for bearing damage.

Quote:
I wonder if something happened to the oil pump? When I get off work I am gonna put a socket on the shaft to verify.

If you have an old distributor you can use them to prime/check the oil pressure.
Without a distributor base in place it may not seal off and produce any pressure.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #448
Road Trip!

Quote:
That's strange. Maybe the coolant followed the head studs up and it only got into the valve cover area?
The coolant/water will go to the bottom of the pan as it is heavier than the oil.
At any rate that is a good thing! Lessens the chance for bearing damage.

If you have an old distributor you can use them to prime/check the oil pressure.
Without a distributor base in place it may not seal off and produce any pressure.
I'm wondering if it locked up, is what made the dizzy gear worn.I will be happy if it feels like it spins good.

The bolts that go into the water jackets are the lower bolts and they are on the outside of the head.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

So I need to actually dump the oil pan and see if the water is on the bottom?I was thinking that water would be on top. Oops.lol
Old 04-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #449
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I'm wondering if it locked up, is what made the dizzy gear worn.I will be happy if it feels like it spins good.

The bolts that go into the water jackets are the lower bolts and they are on the outside of the head.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

So I need to actually dump the oil pan and see if the water is on the bottom?I was thinking that water would be on top. Oops.lol
Make sure it will pump oil. If it locked up it may have twisted off something internally to where it will spin, but not pump. Not very likely maybe, but possible?

Even on the outside the coolant may have followed the stud up. Once again, not very likely, but you never know.

Yes, any water/coolant will be on the bottom.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #450
Road Trip!

Ok.drained the oil out of my catch pan.couldn't really see anything but maybe a small trace in the bottom but it wasn't clear enough to be certain.

I put oil in it and put in my old dizzy.now keep in mind it has no gear on it.I can only spin it over by hand slowly.so its hard to tell.but I do hear a wierd noise.I attached a video. I did also use a drill and at higher speeds you can't hear the noise.

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Ok.this could be a false alarm.lol. I realized that I was spinning the dizzy clockwise.hopefully I wasn't tearing it up.but anyways when I spin the dizzy counterclock wise it sounds clean.and I am pretty sure I can hear oil moving.but no way I could spin it fast enough to get oil flowing.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #451
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok.drained the oil out of my catch pan.couldn't really see anything but maybe a small trace in the bottom but it wasn't clear enough to be certain.

I put oil in it and put in my old dizzy.now keep in mind it has no gear on it.I can only spin it over by hand slowly.so its hard to tell.but I do hear a wierd noise.I attached a video. I did also use a drill and at higher speeds you can't hear the noise.

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Ok.this could be a false alarm.lol. I realized that I was spinning the dizzy clockwise.hopefully I wasn't tearing it up.but anyways when I spin the dizzy counterclock wise it sounds clean.and I am pretty sure I can hear oil moving.but no way I could spin it fast enough to get oil flowing.
You should be able to spin it fast enough with a drill to get the oil flowing.
It would be worth your time to be sure.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #452
Road Trip!

haw do i spin the dizzy with a drill?

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

nevermind i see.

1 min

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

ok.i still have one valve cover off.when i spin the dizzy with the drill: it took a minute but oil started coming out of the top of the rr's.it definitly wasnt spraying oil.it was slowly filling up the top of the arms.so to me thus is good.i know my drill spins alot slower than my motor.

i guess i tend to think about things to much.but i like to be sure.and i was still baffled a little bit about everything.and this seemed like it could have been a scenario.

while im out here with no gear.ughhhh! i guess i will start tackling my gauge pod,wiring,and new speedo cable ive had laying around.

thanx for the input as always!

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

oh yeah.on the plus side of things we just discovered the best way to prelube the valve train.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #453
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
haw do i spin the dizzy with a drill?

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

nevermind i see.

1 min

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

ok.i still have one valve cover off.when i spin the dizzy with the drill: it took a minute but oil started coming out of the top of the rr's.it definitly wasnt spraying oil.it was slowly filling up the top of the arms.so to me thus is good.i know my drill spins alot slower than my motor.

i guess i tend to think about things to much.but i like to be sure.and i was still baffled a little bit about everything.and this seemed like it could have been a scenario.

while im out here with no gear.ughhhh! i guess i will start tackling my gauge pod,wiring,and new speedo cable ive had laying around.

thanx for the input as always!

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

oh yeah.on the plus side of things we just discovered the best way to prelube the valve train.
Yep, Anytime my car sits for very long I pre-lube it this way.
I have a small gear pump that I will be adding to do that so I don't have to pull the dizzy.
I will also use it to cool down the SC after engine shutdown.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #454
Road Trip!

ok.i may have found a cheaper option after hours of searching.mallory makes a steel gear that is .467. i found this information on corral.http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...utor-gear.html the one i am talking about is MAA-29418. what you think?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #455
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
ok.i may have found a cheaper option after hours of searching.mallory makes a steel gear that is .467. i found this information on corral.Part Number for 1985 GT Steel Distributor Gear ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum the one i am talking about is MAA-29418. what you think?
Looks like it should work to me.

Here it is on Summit's website - MAA-29418

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT