What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 14 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #456
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
haha thanx.im already on it though.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #457
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
haha thanx.im already on it though.
Figured you probably were.
Best of luck to you my friend.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #458
Road Trip!

i made the order a few hours ago.i didnt really have much cash but i oredered anyways.well last night i contacted a old mustang buddy from high school through facebook.and he told me has one.he mic'ed it to make sure it was right.and is gonna mail it to me monday.so i called summit and cancelled my order.he is my savior.lol... yay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #459
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
i made the order a few hours ago.i didnt really have much cash but i oredered anyways.well last night i contacted a old mustang buddy from high school through facebook.and he told me has one.he mic'ed it to make sure it was right.and is gonna mail it to me monday.so i called summit and cancelled my order.he is my savior.lol... yay
That worked out great!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #460
Road Trip!

haha thanx for the user title. lmao
Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #461
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
haha thanx for the user title. lmao
I wondered how long it would take for you to notice it and the answer is - not very.
I can remove it if you decide you don't like it.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #462
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I wondered how long it would take for you to notice it and the answer is - not very.
I can remove it if you decide you don't like it.
It's cool , its pretty funny.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #463
Road Trip!
Supporter

Sub-Frame connectors, pictures and info in links.In some of the pics you can see what I was talking about denting to bend so it fits the floor boards and then welding a plate over the bend to re-strengthen the area.

Link 1 - MM&FF Article, benefits, numerous pics.

Link 2 - Large image from MM.

Link 3 - MM, lowest cost.

Link 4 - MM Kit at AM.

I know you are planning to BYO, but I figured these links in one easy to access place may help.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #464
Road Trip!

yeah for sure.when i get to it these will be good reference. when i built the x bracing i used the old pie technique.i basically cut a slit in the tube.then welded the slot back up.i have used this technique so many times that i am pretty good figuring out the math.but on those small bends it doesnt take much.

what do you use to make the dimple?just hammer it in there?i know the dimples in the picture are probably done on the tubing kinker.i mean tubing bender.lol
Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #465
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
yeah for sure.when i get to it these will be good reference. when i built the x bracing i used the old pie technique.i basically cut a slit in the tube.then welded the slot back up.i have used this technique so many times that i am pretty good figuring out the math.but on those small bends it doesnt take much.

what do you use to make the dimple?just hammer it in there?i know the dimples in the picture are probably done on the tubing kinker.i mean tubing bender.lol
I use a big ball peen hammer when I do bends like that.
Then place the tube under the car, in place and use a bottle jack to make it conform.
You need just enough dimple to start the bend and then finish it with the jack to fit your floor pans.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #466
Road Trip!

gatcha. i will experiment a little if i need to.

when i was on a service job this dude where we were at gave me like 160' of tube.haha so i should be good to go.thanx for the info.now i just have to get her running good.hopefully this gear dont take to long to get here.its coming from florida and im in northern IN.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #467
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
gatcha. i will experiment a little if i need to.

when i was on a service job this dude where we were at gave me like 160' of tube.haha so i should be good to go.thanx for the info.now i just have to get her running good.hopefully this gear dont take to long to get here.its coming from florida and im in northern IN.

160' Dayum what a score!
2-3 days should see it at your door.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #468
Road Trip!

yeah it was.now i just have to figure out what to build next.haha.

2-3 days is what i was thinking.but it will feel like an eternity!!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #469
Road Trip!

Ok I am gonna get into the crazy wiring and gauge install.its a real mess.what I want to do is move my 5" tac wiring over to the msd.and I want to remove some old harnesses.mainly including the salt and pepper shakers and the harness that went to the old module I'm not using anymore.is it ok to just snip these? I have the rest of my wiring figured out but I'm scared to snip stuff even though they are not being used. Here is a pic just so I can do a little before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120409_155155.png
Views:	87
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	46435  
Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #470
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok I am gonna get into the crazy wiring and gauge install.its a real mess.what I want to do is move my 5" tac wiring over to the msd.and I want to remove some old harnesses.mainly including the salt and pepper shakers and the harness that went to the old module I'm not using anymore.is it ok to just snip these? I have the rest of my wiring figured out but I'm scared to snip stuff even though they are not being used. Here is a pic just so I can do a little before and after.
Whenever possible I would trace the wires back to a disconnect point and remove them there.
The salt & pepper connectors could be a resale item as they are known to give trouble. If you can keep the harness intact they'd be worth more maybe?
Various manufacturers make connector pin removal tools if you need to do that. Mine came from Snap On, but there are others available I'm sure.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #471
Road Trip!

Quote:

Whenever possible I would trace the wires back to a disconnect point and remove them there.
The salt & pepper connectors could be a resale item as they are known to give trouble. If you can keep the harness intact they'd be worth more maybe?
Various manufacturers make connector pin removal tools if you need to do that. Mine came from Snap On, but there are others available I'm sure.
Honestly its not worth the effort for me.I have brand new carpet and I hate taking that stupid kick panel off because its so tight.I would rather just snip and take the easy way out.lol. I do only have the car side of the harness anyways.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #472
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Honestly its not worth the effort for me.I have brand new carpet and I hate taking that stupid kick panel off because its so tight.I would rather just snip and take the easy way out.lol. I do only have the car side of the harness anyways.
It's your car and your choice of course, I only offer suggestions and I'm known for taking the most difficult way to do things.

I'd just do one or a few at a time "AFTER" you have the car running so you can start it and be sure none of them affect your engine operation.
Most of the sensors run back through the ECU, not sure how many of those you still use though? And some will feed your gauge panel too.

Maybe turn the ignition on and probe them for any power flow?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #473
Road Trip!

Quote:

It's your car and your choice of course, I only offer suggestions and I'm known for taking the most difficult way to do things.

I'd just do one or a few at a time "AFTER" you have the car running so you can start it and be sure none of them affect your engine operation.
Most of the sensors run back through the ECU, not sure how many of those you still use though? And some will feed your gauge panel too.

Maybe turn the ignition on and probe them for any power flow?
Good idea.I didn't think I was using anything really from the ecu till I unhooked the dizzy and lost my fuel pump.I have aftermarket tac and water.I know the oil sending unit still goes to through.the Speedo is mechanical.I guess if I loose a sensor it will be a good reason to get some more gauges.haha.

I do respect your advice.I do plan on eventually removing the ecu and I will get a little deeper into it.I have a really good electrician buddy that used to be a mechanic that is gonna help me later.my main goal for now is to get my gauges hooked up before I get my gear.so next time I drive it they are all fully functional.but to do that it requires some wire clean up before they get out of control.lol.thanx
Old 04-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #474
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Good idea.I didn't think I was using anything really from the ecu till I unhooked the dizzy and lost my fuel pump.I have aftermarket tac and water.I know the oil sending unit still goes to through.the Speedo is mechanical.I guess if I loose a sensor it will be a good reason to get some more gauges.haha.

I do respect your advice.I do plan on eventually removing the ecu and I will get a little deeper into it.I have a really good electrician buddy that used to be a mechanic that is gonna help me later.my main goal for now is to get my gauges hooked up before I get my gear.so next time I drive it they are all fully functional.but to do that it requires some wire clean up before they get out of control.lol.thanx
More gauges hmmm, my wife has been angry at me for a couple of years now over some gauges.....that I never bought! I cannot convince her that I didn't and she inspects every package I get and goes through my car parts frequently searching for the errant gauges. Of course my stepfather doesn't do anything to help and keeps egging her on every chance he gets. While I sit back and !

I plan to use meters instead of gauges from Auber Instruments.
They are the neatest things I have ran across to date and one meter can provide numerous functions. I have worked out how to use an electrical plug that fits into a 2 1/16" gauge hole to mount them and I like the digital displays for quick, at a glance reading purposes. Check them out when you have time.

You might just take a pin out diagram of the ECU and see what feeds what and go from there?
Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #475
Road Trip!

I always loved the digital face gauges. The reason I picked out the ones I got was mostly because I saw a few stangs with the dash pod.and I knew when I saw it that that's what I wanted.so basically I picked my gauges around the pod.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

That's a funny story btw.Lmao.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #476
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I always loved the digital face gauges. The reason I picked out the ones I got was mostly because I saw a few stangs with the dash pod.and I knew when I saw it that that's what I wanted.so basically I picked my gauges around the pod.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

That's a funny story btw.Lmao.
I like the digitals too. I will probably fabricate a completely new gauge panel for my 86 and just cut out the small rectangular holes to mount the meters in and probably use the Autometer Speedo and Tach to balance it out. I want to keep track of numerous sensors and readings, so it will probably look like an airplane cockpit when it's done. I will add exhaust temps and O2 sensor readings along with fuel pressure, boost pressure, TPS voltage, engine oil temp, and any others that I find useful. You can never have too much info, I hope.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #477
Road Trip!

That's gonna be sweet I bet.I once though about a custom dash.but I thought that may be overboard in my setup.I can't wait to see what my pod looks like all hooked up.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #478
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
That's gonna be sweet I bet.I once though about a custom dash.but I thought that may be overboard in my setup.I can't wait to see what my pod looks like all hooked up.
It'll look great I'm sure. With your attention to detail and talents it couldn't be any less.

The 86 dash is much easier to mod than the 87 and up Mustangs, so my task will be relatively easy and I have a couple of spares to experiment with.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #479
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Even with my practically stock setup I still think about a custom gauge pod!..I always liked the idea of seeing all kinds stuff thats goin on...plus it looks damn cool..imo
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #480
Road Trip!

Ok.got some progress.didnt get it all done but I did: get the pod mounted,all gauge wires hooked up,sensors in engine bay,New Speedo cable hooked up all the wires in engine bay were I want.

Now all I have to do is hook up sensors,hide wires,put head light switches back in dash,then put the last couple pieces of interior back in.

Lots of pics.

I through in my ME bottle opener on a pic.now I did hook up the boost gauge that I previously bought.but I want to use it for the vacuum to help tune the carb if I need.I'm not sure but when I get some extra cash I may get one that says vacuum.or keep it to remind me I need a s/c haha.

All in all I really like the pod.I did have to flapper out 2 of the 3 holes in it to get the gauges in it.but it was a near perfect fit on the dash and fits up perfectly against the cluster.I purchased the pod from summit for 58$.well worth it imo. Ok my book is done. Haha
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120409_200648.png
Views:	61
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	46450   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120409_200711.png
Views:	53
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	46451  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120409_200728.png
Views:	52
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	46452   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120409_200750.png
Views:	50
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	46453  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120409_200805.png
Views:	63
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	46454  
Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #481
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Even with my practically stock setup I still think about a custom gauge pod!..I always liked the idea of seeing all kinds stuff thats goin on...plus it looks damn cool..imo
i agree.i love the way this looks to.i am stoked of the end result.now if i could get the thing running i can go show them off.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #482
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

i agree.i love the way this looks to.i am stoked of the end result.now if i could get the thing running i can go show them off.
Yeah you need that beast runnin!...im sure its right around the corner you seem to have the right amount of attention to detail...this has been a very informative and interesting thread!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #483
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

Yeah you need that beast runnin!...im sure its right around the corner you seem to have the right amount of attention to detail...this has been a very informative and interesting thread!..
thanx. it all started with the super charger idea.....

yeah i like sharing whats going on.i wish i had this app the first couple years of the build it probably would have been running a long time ago.lol
Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #484
Road Trip!
Supporter

Looks great! Like a factory installation.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #485
Road Trip!

Quote:
Looks great! Like a factory installation.
thank you.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #486
Road Trip!

Ok got my tails in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120412_190236.png
Views:	81
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	46883  
Old 04-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #487
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Ok got my tails in.
I've got those same exact tail lights! Except I don't have them on my lx, they came with my 87 gt but idk if I like them well enough or not.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #488
Road Trip!

i think im happy with the look.im not sure how they would look on a different color.but then again i havent really seen them on one.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #489
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Yeah, they do look pretty good on your car. They just didn't look right on a metallic blue gt and I'm not convinced they will look much better on a red lx idk tho :/

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #490
Road Trip!

yeah not blue. but the red maybe up in the air with the red of the inner lense.it might match.but might not.easy enough to try though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT