What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 15 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #491
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
That may just be my project for tomorrow after work.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #492
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
hope it works out.sometimes the best way to see is give it a shot.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #493
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Ok got my tails in.
Looks good on your car.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #494
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Same tail lights i have on my red lx. They look real good on your car man.
Redsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #495
Road Trip!

Thanx guys!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #496
Road Trip!

Well still no gear yet.this is eating me alive.all I want to do is hear my baby run again. so I went ahead and ordered the 32$ Mallory steel gear from summit.I think my old friend may be on some bs. He does have a little past of being like that.

Anyways to keep my mind off of it I think I'm gonna start leveling the car up.l, to prepare more my subframe connectors. Captain has motivated me after seeing his pics.I'm not sure if I will get them on all the way depending if I need anymore parts or not.I have the tube.which is hopefully a good size for my subframe.and I have a nice little selection of 1/8" plate. So I will update later. Then when I get this figured out I will be more than happy to throw a set on steves car to.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #497
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well still no gear yet.this is eating me alive.all I want to do is hear my baby run again. so I went ahead and ordered the 32$ Mallory steel gear from summit.I think my old friend may be on some bs. He does have a little past of being like that.

Anyways to keep my mind off of it I think I'm gonna start leveling the car up.l, to prepare more my subframe connectors. Captain has motivated me after seeing his pics.I'm not sure if I will get them on all the way depending if I need anymore parts or not.I have the tube.which is hopefully a good size for my subframe.and I have a nice little selection of 1/8" plate. So I will update later. Then when I get this figured out I will be more than happy to throw a set on steves car to.
Well, that sux. I think we all have had friends like that though. Promise the moon and never come through.
I'd be willing to bet that your homemade sub-frame connectors will be stronger than the factory made ones. They all pretty much use thin gauge metal and I bet your metal is thicker.
Don't forget to taper off the ends. The main reason for that is to keep you from hanging on anything you might drive over. Of course you probably already know that.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #498
Road Trip!

Pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120416_183930.png
Views:	67
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	47329  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #499
Road Trip!

actually mine may not be the strongest.my tube is actually a little more narrow than the subframe.so i fish plated the one side like normal then the other plate doesnt wrap up the side like it should it just kind of welds to the bottom with a plate.when i do steves i will probably make the right plates so his weld on each side.my fuel line is located right were the one plate welds so i was fine welding it to the bottom.i know its a little kinda lazy short cut.but i believe its nice and strong.the subframe is 2" wide. my tube is 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 by 1/8th.

and actually i didnt think about tapering the ends. oops. but i will.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #500
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
actually mine may not be the strongest.my tube is actually a little more narrow than the subframe.so i fish plated the one side like normal then the other plate doesnt wrap up the side like it should it just kind of welds to the bottom with a plate.when i do steves i will probably make the right plates so his weld on each side.my fuel line is located right were the one plate welds so i was fine welding it to the bottom.i know its a little kinda lazy short cut.but i believe its nice and strong.the subframe is 2" wide. my tube is 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 by 1/8th.

and actually i didnt think about tapering the ends. oops. but i will.
Sweeeet!...yeah I definitely what this!!..and yeah I can see how tapering the ends is a good idea..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #501
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

Sweeeet!...yeah I definitely what this!!..and yeah I can see how tapering the ends is a good idea..
when we do years ill be nice and prepared. so ill let you make any on the spots call for fitment. the only thing i dont know is if your subframe is a little different than mine since i have a vert. butnit should be nice and strong.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #502
Filibuster

Quote:

when we do years ill be nice and prepared. so ill let you make any on the spots call for fitment. the only thing i dont know is if your subframe is a little different than mine since i have a vert. butnit should be nice and strong.
I would imagine mine might only be a little easier as yours probably already has something extra as all you really have is your subframe...hmm I guess we'll see!....

If you watch the beginning of this vid I really like the idea of the floor through subframe connetors...obviously alot more work involved but very cool none the less!..

Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #503
Road Trip!

yeah that is sick!! we could actually do yours however youd like. we couldnt get that crazy in my garage cause it would invlolve my stang finding a place to stay for a while.haha. no but seriously i am cool with however you want to with the resources i have.which is some scrap 1/8th inch plate and tube.i do have some small angle iron and longer bolts(if they are the right ones) to make provisions to connect them to the rear seat bolts.if you have any other ideas ahead of time i scavenge more steel from work.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #504
Road Trip!
Supporter

Steve, the "through the floor" sub-frames are a great idea for a race car and they add strength and provide good solid mounting points for roll cages, seats, etc., but they would be as pain to deal with in a street/strip car. Especially if carpeting over or retaining the rear seats.

I'm more a fan of contouring the sub-frame connectors to the bottom of the floorboards and leaving the interior stock for street/strip cars, but the choice is yours of course.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #505
Filibuster

Yeah I dont think thats the route I would go at the moment too much to deal with for my DD.honestly the subs going through the floor wouldn't really bother me as far as driving with it.my car is anything but luxury...hell id happily drive my car with a 6point cage in it!..

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Quote:
yeah that is sick!! we could actually do yours however youd like. we couldnt get that crazy in my garage cause it would invlolve my stang finding a place to stay for a while.haha. no but seriously i am cool with however you want to with the resources i have.which is some scrap 1/8th inch plate and tube.i do have some small angle iron and longer bolts(if they are the right ones) to make provisions to connect them to the rear seat bolts.if you have any other ideas ahead of time i scavenge more steel from work.
Im all about any simple plan that works the best!...this will be the beginning of my traction issues and subframe connects have got to be one of the first things ive wanted just dont have the tools for the job..my car also suffers from shock tower rust eek!!...that is a bigger plan for a later date but is definitely needed as this winter has molested my car..
Old 04-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #506
Road Trip!

Ok done for now.I got the connectors on.I just need to make the middle piece that mounts to the rear seat bolts.and I'm gonna make a drive shaft loop cause I scored some 10" slicks for free from my cuz.hopefully they fit.I don't want to launch on slicks with no loop.these are by no means the best connectors out there.lol but I feel they should help stiffen my vert up.

If you want Steve we could throw a loop on yours while we are under there.all I'm gonna do is curve a piece of flat bar and weld it to each connector.

So list of stuff to do.
Middle piece for connectors
Ds loop
Also need better exhaust hanger.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #507
Filibuster

Good s#!t!!....I know what you mean not wanting to launch on slicks I have m/t street radials but after a couple lanuches I just felt like I was gunna break somthing:/...so im back to street tires for now..
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #508
Road Trip!

Pics.I also included some of the x bracing I did a while back. The pics aren't of best quality but here they are.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120416_203114.png
Views:	81
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	47339   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120416_203133.png
Views:	80
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	47340  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120416_203206.png
Views:	76
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	47341   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120416_203224.png
Views:	69
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	47342  

Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #509
Road Trip!

i went back again and compared some of the pics that you(th) posted and i think mine mount properly.either way im confident in them. but most of those subframes only have one side plate front and back.that is what i did. for some reason i thought that it was suppose to strattle both sides.and it also seems like some just weld right to the bottom.so i guess i did it normal.haha. i didnt go all the way to the front because my x bracing and all that. but i caught a good portion of the front subframe.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #510
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
i went back again and compared some of the pics that you(th) posted and i think mine mount properly.either way im confident in them. but most of those subframes only have one side plate front and back.that is what i did. for some reason i thought that it was suppose to strattle both sides.and it also seems like some just weld right to the bottom.so i guess i did it normal.haha. i didnt go all the way to the front because my x bracing and all that. but i caught a good portion of the front subframe.
Yours will be fine I'm sure.
I can't really remember, but I don't think mine (Kenny Brown Super Subs) have any plates on the sides at all.
They extend about 6"-8" past the ends of the car frame stubs and I believe they were just welded directly to the car frame stubs.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #511
Road Trip!

ok good.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

this was my very first set ive done.since i kow what i need now i am gonna chop the parts for the next set at work on the shear and saw.it will make it alot faster.

is welding in the drive shaft loop fine? or are they usually boltable?and what size flat bar you recommend?i was thinking 1/4 by 2 welded to the connectors shaped around the ds.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #512
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
ok good.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

this was my very first set ive done.since i kow what i need now i am gonna chop the parts for the next set at work on the shear and saw.it will make it alot faster.

is welding in the drive shaft loop fine? or are they usually boltable?and what size flat bar you recommend?i was thinking 1/4 by 2 welded to the connectors shoed around the ds.
They are usually bolt on to make driveshaft R&R a bit easier.
The 1/4"x 2" flat steel is perfect for them. That's what the old Lakewood loops were made from. They should completely circle the driveshaft to keep it from going up or down.

If you only do one, put it at the front of the driveshaft immediately behind the U-Joint.
That is the most important area. It will keep the shaft from dropping down and pole vaulting the car or from chewing its way through the floorboards and into the driver's area.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #513
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

They are usually bolt on to make driveshaft R&R a bit easier.
The 1/4"x 2" flat steel is perfect for them. That's what the old Lakewood loops were made from.

If you only do one, put it at the front of the driveshaft immediately behind the U-Joint.
That is the most important area. It will keep the shaft from dropping down and pole vaulting the car or from chewing its way through the floorboards and into the driver's area.
yes 1 only want one in the front. i have good access to 1/4 x 2 so i was hoping that was good. but i didnt want to overkill it and add unwanted weight.i will look into bolting or see if i can locate it were its still easy to remove the DS. thanx
Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #514
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
yes 1 only want one in the front. i have good access to 1/4 x 2 so i was hoping that was good. but i didnt want to overkill it and add unwanted weight.i will look into bolting or see if i can locate it were its still easy to remove the DS. thanx
They still make them like I remembered. Lakewood Safety Loop

Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #515
Road Trip!

actully that gives me a good idea. it involves a pipe, hammer, and some flatbar. lol
Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #516
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
actully that gives me a good idea. it involves a pipe, hammer, and some flatbar. lol
Yup!
I tack weld one end to an appropriately sized pipe then heat and hammer till it conforms to what is needed.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #517
Filibuster

Quote:
Pics.I also included some of the x bracing I did a while back. The pics aren't of best quality but here they are.
Good lookin welds there almost like a roll of nickels!...did you have the car sitting on all 4 tires when you welded them?..
Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #518
Road Trip!

actually that was the first idea.

in the pic, we stock these parts at work in different sizes.i just need 2 of them. then either a piece of about 8" pipe and flatten it into an oval.then cut it in half and drill it to match my bracket.or as you said and just conform the center section.or just cut in half a smaller pipe maybe 4" then add the flat section with holes in the middles.hmmm.... so many ideas now. lol. any how this route i could weld the end brackets and just make the middle piece boltable.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #519
Road Trip!

Quote:

Good lookin welds there almost like a roll of nickels!...did you have the car sitting on all 4 tires when you welded them?..
no actually i used a 4' level and made sure that the car was perfectly level.then i made sure that my door that rubs when i open it, still did.haha

actually trojan gave me this idea a while back.and one of my buddies has done it this way.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

and actually this technique did suck a little bit because where the subframe connectors go is actually right where i usully put my jackstands.but i was able to squeez them just in front and back
Old 04-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #520
Filibuster

Quote:

no actually i used a 4' level and made sure that the car was perfectly level.then i made sure that my door that rubs when i open it, still did.haha

actually trojan gave me this idea a while back.and one of my buddies has done it this way.
Ok cool...makes sense!..as does welding the ends of the ds loop and making the center loop removable with bolts...
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #521
Road Trip!

Quote:

Ok cool...makes sense!..as does welding the ends of the ds loop and making the center loop removable with bolts...
dont worry.we will see how my car tracks before we do yours. . lol
Old 04-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #522
Filibuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack

pod? if you mean pair of sub fr. con im interested lol

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

looking good frabri.blah..plooufh udj .... that long word trojan named ya haha jk cant wait to see and hear the finished product
Lmfao
Old 04-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #523
Registered Member
Regular

87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #524
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack

pod? if you mean pair of sub fr. con im interested lol

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

looking good frabri.blah..plooufh udj .... that long word trojan named ya haha jk cant wait to see and hear the finished product
Haha thanx man.for some reason I think this will never be a finished product.lol.one thing always leads to another.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #525
Registered Member
Regular

haha indeed i just started my maf conversion and my gt40 upper and lower and by started i'm mean i finally pulled it into the garage. haha. and i forgot to order gaskets for the lower intake as well as valve cover gaskets so now the wife is a little upset that i have to spend a few extra $ but what can ya do. i like how you did your sfc they look good
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT