What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 16 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #526
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack
haha indeed i just started my maf conversion and my gt40 upper and lower and by started i'm mean i finally pulled it into the garage. haha. and i forgot to order gaskets for the lower intake as well as valve cover gaskets so now the wife is a little upset that i have to spend a few extra $ but what can ya do. i like how you did your sfc they look good
Good luck with your conversion. Yeah everytime I get into a project there is always something forgotten or extra needed.I think its damn near impossible to always have everything ready when you dig in.that's just part of the game I think.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #527
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
gear came in today. yay!! she is back alive.all the new gauges work good.ran like a champ the first crank of the key.now hopefully the water stays out of the oil.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #528
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
gear came in today. yay!! she is back alive.all the new gauges work good.ran like a champ the first crank of the key.now hopefully the water stays out of the oil.
Fantastic!
I wish you the best of luck.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #529
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Fantastic!
I wish you the best of luck.
thanx. i just hope that it doesnt leak now.i couldnt take it for a ride cause now im in driveshaft loop mode.and the car is still on the jack stands.

i need to get on nhra later and check out the rules for the loop.i figure if im gonna make it, i may as well make it to spec.since i plan on running slicks when i go it will be required.i did start cutting some parts at work when i slow already.luckily i live by a hillbilly track because a 5 point cage is required at 13.49 in a vert.and im hoping i can beat that.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #530
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
gear came in today. yay!! she is back alive.all the new gauges work good.ran like a champ the first crank of the key.now hopefully the water stays out of the oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

thanx. i just hope that it doesnt leak now.i couldnt take it for a ride cause now im in driveshaft loop mode.and the car is still on the jack stands.

i need to get on nhra later and check out the rules for the loop.i figure if im gonna make it, i may as well make it to spec.since i plan on running slicks when i go it will be required.i did start cutting some parts at work when i slow already.luckily i live by a hillbilly track because a 5 point cage is required at 13.49 in a vert.and im hoping i can beat that.
+5.0!!!...to all of this!!...
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #531
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

+5.0!!!...to all of this!!...
the best + there is! haha
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #532
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: what it takes...

I'm pretty sure that if you make it like the Lakewood model and use 3/8" bolts where they are shown holding the loop together that it will be NHRA legal.

BUT, it never hurts to check and be sure.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #533
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
2 x 1/4 which is what i already started cutting. mounted 6" from the front of the shaft.im gonna try to make it just like the the one you showed me.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #534
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
This is a preview for you Steve. You notice I made enough for 2 loops?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120418_170002.png
Views:	39
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	47527  
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #535
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
This is a preview for you Steve. You notice I made enough for 2 loops?
...looks good!...did it invole a large hammer and a pipe?..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #536
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
nope. it required a memory of my buddy having a flat stock roller.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #537
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Like with the 3 rollers?...
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #538
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Yeah.they sell them at harbor frieght.it has 3rollers on it.and you roll the steel in and out to form it.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #539
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Yeah.they sell them at harbor frieght.it has 3rollers on it.and you roll the steel in and out to form it.
And your fingers if you roll too far one drunken night
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #540
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Ahhh good o'l hatbor freight!...ive not been there yet but a friend of mine goes alot and I do see alot of good deals on toys there
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #541
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX

And your fingers if you roll too far one drunken night
Haha.true

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Ahhh good o'l hatbor freight!...ive not been there yet but a friend of mine goes alot and I do see alot of good deals on toys there
I love that place!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #542
Registered Member
Regular
 
captain78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 851
Nice job on subframes. Real nice. Now I just need to find my Lakewood loop I bought 10 years ago and never used lol.
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #543
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Nice job on subframes. Real nice. Now I just need to find my Lakewood loop I bought 10 years ago and never used lol.
thanx cap. you have the loop trojan posted huh? thats sweet.

thats funny, our suspension is coming along almost identical and at the same time.lol
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #544
Registered Member
Regular
 
captain78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 851
Lol I did have it. Not a clue as to were it's at lol. Just gotta find it. But yea with the exception the DSL is all that I have left to get for under my car. Until car is complete. Once it's complete. Imma prolly start on front suspension. Ya know prolly new k member tubular a arms coil overs maybe a 5 lug conversion with rear disk conversion coil over conversion in back. Torque arm. Possibly. TKO 600. Lots of stuff I wanna do. But not nessasity ATM
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #545
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Lol I did have it. Not a clue as to were it's at lol. Just gotta find it. But yea with the exception the DSL is all that I have left to get for under my car. Until car is complete. Once it's complete. Imma prolly start on front suspension. Ya know prolly new k member tubular a arms coil overs maybe a 5 lug conversion with rear disk conversion coil over conversion in back. Torque arm. Possibly. TKO 600. Lots of stuff I wanna do. But not nessasity ATM
That would be nice setup. I'm not gonna do much up front. I changed the struts and sway bar end links already.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #546
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
And your fingers if you roll too far one drunken night
Note: Did that once, only pinched the tips though. I can pretty much guarantee after one time you won't ever do that again, whether you are drunk or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78 View Post
Lol I did have it. Not a clue as to were it's at lol. Just gotta find it. But yea with the exception the DSL is all that I have left to get for under my car. Until car is complete. Once it's complete. Imma prolly start on front suspension. Ya know prolly new k member tubular a arms coil overs maybe a 5 lug conversion with rear disk conversion coil over conversion in back. Torque arm. Possibly. TKO 600. Lots of stuff I wanna do. But not nessasity ATM
On the K-Member, Please consider going the extra expense and getting the Maximum Motorsports K-Member if you plan to drive it on the street. No other manufacturer will certify theirs for street use and I don't want any of my friends (or even enemies) injured or killed because of a failure.


P.S. We just gotta' win a lottery or something so we can all go on a parts buying binge.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #547
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
This is a preview for you Steve. You notice I made enough for 2 loops?
Those look great!
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #548
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Those look great!
Thank you sir!

I agree with the k member statement. You can just tell mm k member is very beefy.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #549
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Thank you sir!

I agree with the k member statement. You can just tell mm k member is very beefy.
You're welcome.


Yes, it is heavier than others, but they designed it to take the pounding a street driven car will give it and remain intact.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #550
Registered Member
Regular
 
captain78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 851
I was planning on MM K member. I like there products
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #551
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Do I need some kind of PVC or evap system. I am still a little baffled by what happened.I never did see coolant in the oil.do you think there is any way that from all the cold short runs it did that maybe that was just serious condensation build up? All I have to ventilate is 1 breather on 1 valve cover. I just have this hunch that's not enough.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #552
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Do I need some kind of PVC or evap system. I am still a little baffled by what happened.I never did see coolant in the oil.do you think there is any way that from all the cold short runs it did that maybe that was just serious condensation build up? All I have to ventilate is 1 breather on 1 valve cover. I just have this hunch that's not enough.
Yes, no, maybe. You should have some way to ventilate the crankcase.
It may very well have been a serious condensation build up, especially if it has been really humid when you were running it.
For an open venting system with no PCV valve to provide vacuum, a breather on each valve cover is probably a wise move. Or, an old smog pump could be used to fab up a crankcase vacuum system. Crankcase vacuum is a good thing as it promotes better sealing of the seals, gaskets and piston rings.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #553
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yes, no, maybe. You should have some way to ventilate the crankcase.
It may very well have been a serious condensation build up, especially if it has been really humid when you were running it.
For an open venting system with no PCV valve to provide vacuum, a breather on each valve cover is probably a wise move. Or, an old smog pump could be used to fab up a crankcase vacuum system. Crankcase vacuum is a good thing as it promotes better sealing of the seals, gaskets and piston rings.
What I was thinking of doing is.running a pipe from my oil filler tube , mitered into my my exhaust so its angled toward the back of the car.it would (hopefully) use the exhaust as a vacuum without running any gunk back it the intake like it would if I ran it from intake vacuum. Does that sound like it would work?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #554
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
What I was thinking of doing is.running a pipe from my oil filler tube , mitered into my my exhaust so its angled toward the back of the car.it would (hopefully) use the exhaust as a vacuum without running any gunk back it the intake like it would if I ran it from intake vacuum. Does that sound like it would work?
Maybe, drag racers use that type of system all the time.
The only issue may be that it might only vent for you at higher RPM ranges because of the muffler's restriction/i.e. back pressure in the exhaust system.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #555
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Essentially there is less crankcase pressure at low rpms anyways huh? So that shouldn't be to big of a deal?

The easiest way for me would be to just change the fill tube for another breather. But I just didn't know if that was adequate.

Will driving for a while cure any moisture problems?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #556
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Essentially there is less crankcase pressure at low rpms anyways huh? So that shouldn't be to big of a deal?

The easiest way for me would be to just change the fill tube for another breather. But I just didn't know if that was adequate.

Will driving for a while cure any moisture problems?
Yes, that is true.
You could get one of those air cleaner mounted PCV filters and run a hose from the fill tube to it. That would provide you with some vacuum, but also it would cause oil film deposits in the breather and carb that would need to be cleaned out periodically.


A good long drive should clear up any condensation in the engine.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #557
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yes, that is true.
You could get one of those air cleaner mounted PCV filters and run a hose from the fill tube to it. That would provide you with some vacuum, but also it would cause oil film deposits in the breather and carb that would need to be cleaned out periodically.

A good long drive should clear up any condensation in the engine.
Ok cool. Thanx. You always have good advice.

You think its ok to drive it as is for now till I get this tooken care of? I was planning on taking it for a spin tomorrow.well actually today, but it rained.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #558
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Ok cool. Thanx. You always have good advice.

You think its ok to drive it as is for now till I get this tooken care of? I was planning on taking it for a spin tomorrow.well actually today, but it rained.
You're welcome.


Yes, I think you will be ok taking a drive. Enjoy!
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #559
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Went for my drive. And it was wonderful!!!!! I took it for about 35 miles total. This was the furthest I have driven it since all the upgrades. During the cruise I stopped to make a few adjustments including idle, shifter spring, adjustable fan controller. But I think I have it dialed in real nice. After I got comfortable I opened it up pretty good. It was impressive.

And for the subframes. It doesn't even feel like the same car. I have heard some people say that they can barely tell the difference. But idk if because mine is a vert, but it is like night and day. I am very pleased. Of course it takes bumps like a tank now. But I expected that.

I also pulled the valve cover breather and it looked clean. So no water problem yet. I attached some pics for the help of it since I finally had a chance to clean her up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120421_161817.png
Views:	47
Size:	586.6 KB
ID:	47765   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120421_161848.png
Views:	42
Size:	616.6 KB
ID:	47766  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120421_161906.png
Views:	44
Size:	697.8 KB
ID:	47767  
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #560
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Nice! Glad to see you got it going. Fingers crossed for no more hiccups!
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:09 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.