What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 16 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #526
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack
haha indeed i just started my maf conversion and my gt40 upper and lower and by started i'm mean i finally pulled it into the garage. haha. and i forgot to order gaskets for the lower intake as well as valve cover gaskets so now the wife is a little upset that i have to spend a few extra $ but what can ya do. i like how you did your sfc they look good
Good luck with your conversion. Yeah everytime I get into a project there is always something forgotten or extra needed.I think its damn near impossible to always have everything ready when you dig in.that's just part of the game I think.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #527
Road Trip!

gear came in today. yay!! she is back alive.all the new gauges work good.ran like a champ the first crank of the key.now hopefully the water stays out of the oil.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #528
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
gear came in today. yay!! she is back alive.all the new gauges work good.ran like a champ the first crank of the key.now hopefully the water stays out of the oil.
Fantastic!
I wish you the best of luck.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #529
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Fantastic!
I wish you the best of luck.
thanx. i just hope that it doesnt leak now.i couldnt take it for a ride cause now im in driveshaft loop mode.and the car is still on the jack stands.

i need to get on nhra later and check out the rules for the loop.i figure if im gonna make it, i may as well make it to spec.since i plan on running slicks when i go it will be required.i did start cutting some parts at work when i slow already.luckily i live by a hillbilly track because a 5 point cage is required at 13.49 in a vert.and im hoping i can beat that.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #530
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Quote:

thanx. i just hope that it doesnt leak now.i couldnt take it for a ride cause now im in driveshaft loop mode.and the car is still on the jack stands.

i need to get on nhra later and check out the rules for the loop.i figure if im gonna make it, i may as well make it to spec.since i plan on running slicks when i go it will be required.i did start cutting some parts at work when i slow already.luckily i live by a hillbilly track because a 5 point cage is required at 13.49 in a vert.and im hoping i can beat that.
+5.0!!!...to all of this!!...
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #531
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

+5.0!!!...to all of this!!...
the best + there is! haha
Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #532
Road Trip!
Supporter

I'm pretty sure that if you make it like the Lakewood model and use 3/8" bolts where they are shown holding the loop together that it will be NHRA legal.

BUT, it never hurts to check and be sure.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #533
Road Trip!

2 x 1/4 which is what i already started cutting. mounted 6" from the front of the shaft.im gonna try to make it just like the the one you showed me.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #534
Road Trip!

This is a preview for you Steve. You notice I made enough for 2 loops?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120418_170002.png
Views:	39
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	47527  
Old 04-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #535
Filibuster

Quote:
...looks good!...did it invole a large hammer and a pipe?..
Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #536
Road Trip!

nope. it required a memory of my buddy having a flat stock roller.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #537
Filibuster

Like with the 3 rollers?...
Old 04-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #538
Road Trip!

Yeah.they sell them at harbor frieght.it has 3rollers on it.and you roll the steel in and out to form it.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #539
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Yeah.they sell them at harbor frieght.it has 3rollers on it.and you roll the steel in and out to form it.
And your fingers if you roll too far one drunken night

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #540
Filibuster

Ahhh good o'l hatbor freight!...ive not been there yet but a friend of mine goes alot and I do see alot of good deals on toys there
Old 04-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #541
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX

Haha.true

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Ahhh good o'l hatbor freight!...ive not been there yet but a friend of mine goes alot and I do see alot of good deals on toys there
I love that place!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #542
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Nice job on subframes. Real nice. Now I just need to find my Lakewood loop I bought 10 years ago and never used lol.
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #543
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Nice job on subframes. Real nice. Now I just need to find my Lakewood loop I bought 10 years ago and never used lol.
thanx cap. you have the loop trojan posted huh? thats sweet.

thats funny, our suspension is coming along almost identical and at the same time.lol
Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #544
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I did have it. Not a clue as to were it's at lol. Just gotta find it. But yea with the exception the DSL is all that I have left to get for under my car. Until car is complete. Once it's complete. Imma prolly start on front suspension. Ya know prolly new k member tubular a arms coil overs maybe a 5 lug conversion with rear disk conversion coil over conversion in back. Torque arm. Possibly. TKO 600. Lots of stuff I wanna do. But not nessasity ATM
Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #545
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Lol I did have it. Not a clue as to were it's at lol. Just gotta find it. But yea with the exception the DSL is all that I have left to get for under my car. Until car is complete. Once it's complete. Imma prolly start on front suspension. Ya know prolly new k member tubular a arms coil overs maybe a 5 lug conversion with rear disk conversion coil over conversion in back. Torque arm. Possibly. TKO 600. Lots of stuff I wanna do. But not nessasity ATM
That would be nice setup. I'm not gonna do much up front. I changed the struts and sway bar end links already.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #546
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
Note: Did that once, only pinched the tips though. I can pretty much guarantee after one time you won't ever do that again, whether you are drunk or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78 View Post
On the K-Member, Please consider going the extra expense and getting the Maximum Motorsports K-Member if you plan to drive it on the street. No other manufacturer will certify theirs for street use and I don't want any of my friends (or even enemies) injured or killed because of a failure.

P.S. We just gotta' win a lottery or something so we can all go on a parts buying binge.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #547
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Those look great!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #548
Road Trip!

Quote:

Those look great!
Thank you sir!

I agree with the k member statement. You can just tell mm k member is very beefy.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #549
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thank you sir!

I agree with the k member statement. You can just tell mm k member is very beefy.
You're welcome.

Yes, it is heavier than others, but they designed it to take the pounding a street driven car will give it and remain intact.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #550
Registered Member
Regular

I was planning on MM K member. I like there products
Old 04-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #551
Road Trip!

Do I need some kind of PVC or evap system. I am still a little baffled by what happened.I never did see coolant in the oil.do you think there is any way that from all the cold short runs it did that maybe that was just serious condensation build up? All I have to ventilate is 1 breather on 1 valve cover. I just have this hunch that's not enough.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #552
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Do I need some kind of PVC or evap system. I am still a little baffled by what happened.I never did see coolant in the oil.do you think there is any way that from all the cold short runs it did that maybe that was just serious condensation build up? All I have to ventilate is 1 breather on 1 valve cover. I just have this hunch that's not enough.
Yes, no, maybe. You should have some way to ventilate the crankcase.
It may very well have been a serious condensation build up, especially if it has been really humid when you were running it.
For an open venting system with no PCV valve to provide vacuum, a breather on each valve cover is probably a wise move. Or, an old smog pump could be used to fab up a crankcase vacuum system. Crankcase vacuum is a good thing as it promotes better sealing of the seals, gaskets and piston rings.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #553
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yes, no, maybe. You should have some way to ventilate the crankcase.
It may very well have been a serious condensation build up, especially if it has been really humid when you were running it.
For an open venting system with no PCV valve to provide vacuum, a breather on each valve cover is probably a wise move. Or, an old smog pump could be used to fab up a crankcase vacuum system. Crankcase vacuum is a good thing as it promotes better sealing of the seals, gaskets and piston rings.
What I was thinking of doing is.running a pipe from my oil filler tube , mitered into my my exhaust so its angled toward the back of the car.it would (hopefully) use the exhaust as a vacuum without running any gunk back it the intake like it would if I ran it from intake vacuum. Does that sound like it would work?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #554
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
What I was thinking of doing is.running a pipe from my oil filler tube , mitered into my my exhaust so its angled toward the back of the car.it would (hopefully) use the exhaust as a vacuum without running any gunk back it the intake like it would if I ran it from intake vacuum. Does that sound like it would work?
Maybe, drag racers use that type of system all the time.
The only issue may be that it might only vent for you at higher RPM ranges because of the muffler's restriction/i.e. back pressure in the exhaust system.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #555
Road Trip!

Essentially there is less crankcase pressure at low rpms anyways huh? So that shouldn't be to big of a deal?

The easiest way for me would be to just change the fill tube for another breather. But I just didn't know if that was adequate.

Will driving for a while cure any moisture problems?
Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #556
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Essentially there is less crankcase pressure at low rpms anyways huh? So that shouldn't be to big of a deal?

The easiest way for me would be to just change the fill tube for another breather. But I just didn't know if that was adequate.

Will driving for a while cure any moisture problems?
Yes, that is true.
You could get one of those air cleaner mounted PCV filters and run a hose from the fill tube to it. That would provide you with some vacuum, but also it would cause oil film deposits in the breather and carb that would need to be cleaned out periodically.

A good long drive should clear up any condensation in the engine.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #557
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yes, that is true.
You could get one of those air cleaner mounted PCV filters and run a hose from the fill tube to it. That would provide you with some vacuum, but also it would cause oil film deposits in the breather and carb that would need to be cleaned out periodically.

A good long drive should clear up any condensation in the engine.
Ok cool. Thanx. You always have good advice.

You think its ok to drive it as is for now till I get this tooken care of? I was planning on taking it for a spin tomorrow.well actually today, but it rained.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #558
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok cool. Thanx. You always have good advice.

You think its ok to drive it as is for now till I get this tooken care of? I was planning on taking it for a spin tomorrow.well actually today, but it rained.
You're welcome.

Yes, I think you will be ok taking a drive. Enjoy!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #559
Road Trip!

Went for my drive. And it was wonderful!!!!! I took it for about 35 miles total. This was the furthest I have driven it since all the upgrades. During the cruise I stopped to make a few adjustments including idle, shifter spring, adjustable fan controller. But I think I have it dialed in real nice. After I got comfortable I opened it up pretty good. It was impressive.

And for the subframes. It doesn't even feel like the same car. I have heard some people say that they can barely tell the difference. But idk if because mine is a vert, but it is like night and day. I am very pleased. Of course it takes bumps like a tank now. But I expected that.

I also pulled the valve cover breather and it looked clean. So no water problem yet. I attached some pics for the help of it since I finally had a chance to clean her up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120421_161817.png
Views:	47
Size:	586.6 KB
ID:	47765   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120421_161848.png
Views:	42
Size:	616.6 KB
ID:	47766  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120421_161906.png
Views:	44
Size:	697.8 KB
ID:	47767  
Old 04-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #560
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Nice! Glad to see you got it going. Fingers crossed for no more hiccups!

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT