What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #36
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Them dirty bastards.at least you have more time to help me .hope you recover good and get back to work so you can get your super charger install completed.I appreciate the help as always.I have been doing lots of studying and I'm sure there will be many posts on this thread.my main goal right now is to get a good game plan and to start making a parts list.as soon as I get my list together which is about there I can start 100$ing my self broke .lol

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Ps : with your wealth of knowledge and experience I'm sure once your healthy again you shouldn't have a problem finding a job
Hahaha! Yes, I can help you more often at least.
My doc told me that injuries like mine are usually governed by a 2-1 scenario.
I was injured with no decent care for 2 years, so it may be 4 years before I'm as recovered as I'm going to get.

It sounds like you have your ducks in a row so to speak and yes the $100sing is about to commence. FUN ain't it?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #37
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
My list
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80573S

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/WND-77-174FSB-1

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-802-1
Not the same pump that was recommended but Alot cheaper and still good for 600+ hp.holley is still a trusted
name.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-5520

I really like those innovate gauges.they are priced very well.I just hope the have matching white face gauges for boost and a/f.I been looking some but haven't got to deep into the gauges yet.

I know ill need to change my spark plugs but ill do that at the local AutoZone.

I have seen some of these parts on Amazon and eBay so hopefully I can strike some deals.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

I will be starting the dreamstang foundation .pm me donate parts or funds. j/k
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #38
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
My list
Holley 0-80573S - Holley Model 4150 Supercharger Carburetors - Summit Racing Equipment

Weiand 77-174FSB-1 - Weiand 174 Powercharger Superchargers - Summit Racing Equipment

Holley 12-802-1 - Holley Blue Electric Fuel Pumps - Summit Racing Equipment
Not the same pump that was recommended but Alot cheaper and still good for 600+ hp.holley is still a trusted
name.

MSD Ignition 5520 - MSD Street Fire CD Ignitions - Summit Racing Equipment

I really like those innovate gauges.they are priced very well.I just hope the have matching white face gauges for boost and a/f.I been looking some but haven't got to deep into the gauges yet.

I know ill need to change my spark plugs but ill do that at the local AutoZone.

I have seen some of these parts on Amazon and eBay so hopefully I can strike some deals.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

I will be starting the dreamstang foundation .pm me donate parts or funds. j/k
I'd recommend using an MSD ignition box that has a boost ****** feature or adding a boost ****** box to what you have chosen.
For spark plugs I would go with a fine tipped irridium plug.
They fire more effectively under pressure.

Is that carb going to be big enough or are you using two of them?
(Two would be !)

P.S. Good luck with the Dreamstang Foundation.
If I were wealthy enough I would donate to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #39
Road Trip!

That carb is specially designed and calibrated for that exact blower.the summit tech also thought it was a great choice.I will look into a better box.that box fits my budget the best.lol.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #40
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
That carb is specially designed and calibrated for that exact blower.the summit tech also thought it was a great choice.I will look into a better box.that box fits my budget the best.lol.
I figured it was, but a 450 is awfully small.
I always ran 600 - 750 Holleys on my N/A 302's.
They may have been a bit large, but with some tuning they performed a lot better than smaller carbs.

If you can fit a box with the ****** function into your budget I think you will end up with a better performing set up. As the boost goes up you need to pull a bit of timing out to prevent detonation and that is the easiest way to do so.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #41
Road Trip!

That is a 750 cfm carb that I posted.I started glancing around and most common boxes like the 6al don't carry the retarded feature.I guess the best thing to do would by a ****** controller.as long as I'm conservative on my timing I will be all right adding that at any time.the sooner the better though performance wise.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Something like this.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850710
Old 10-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #42
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
That is a 750 cfm carb that I posted.I started glancing around and most common boxes like the 6al don't carry the retarded feature.I guess the best thing to do would by a ****** controller.as long as I'm conservative on my timing I will be all right adding that at any time.the sooner the better though performance wise.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Something like this.
Summit Racing SUM-850710 - Summit Racing Street & Strip® 3/3 Stage Boost Proportional ****** Ignition Upgrade Controllers - Summit Racing Equipment
So it is a 750. Brain fart I guess.
You could get the MSD BTM and have both in one box.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #43
Road Trip!

I also forgot to put this on my list
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/GRN-GM-TI7998
Old 10-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #44
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Damn, those are expensive for no more than there is to them.
Don't forget a good fuel filter to install in line before your fuel pump.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #45
Road Trip!

Absolutely.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Damn, those are expensive for no more than there is to them.
Don't forget a good fuel filter to install in line before your fuel pump.
There is a way that I heard is not so hard.pull the pump out and either replace it with a hose or solder a tube in its place.I don't wanna mess with all that though.also with a new pickup tube my factory sending unit should work right? Ive never had a pump off a fox before so I wasn't sure.I only assume its still gonna work.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #46
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Absolutely.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

There is a way that I heard is not so hard.pull the pump out and either replace it with a hose or solder a tube in its place.I don't wanna mess with all that though.also with a new pickup tube my factory sending unit should work right? Ive never had a pump off a fox before so I wasn't sure.I only assume its still gonna work.

Pulling the pump and fabbing my own tube is something I would do, but that's just because I'm a tightwad and won't spend the money for something I can do myself.

Your sending unit should work with it, but I would check to be sure before buying it. It's possible that it is a racing piece with no option for a sending unit.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #47
Road Trip!

Good advice.I would definitely like to save money and I like fabbing stuff up and all.but I searched around for a long time the other day and only found small articles on the subject.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Found a PDF install instructions for the pickup.it should be fine.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #48
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Good advice.I would definitely like to save money and I like fabbing stuff up and all.but I searched around for a long time the other day and only found small articles on the subject.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Found a PDF install instructions for the pickup.it should be fine.
I wouldn't bother with looking for articles or instructions, BUT I have quite of bit of experience doing stuff like that. Just a picture is usually enough to set me in motion. On my 86 GT I looked at all of the torque box repair and strengthening kits available, then went and fabbed up my own version which includes boxing the frame in that area for extra strength and tieing them into the outer sides for even more strength.

Glad you located the instructions. It's nice to know for sure it will work before buying.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #49
Road Trip!

Quote:

I wouldn't bother with looking for articles or instructions, BUT I have quite of bit of experience doing stuff like that. Just a picture is usually enough to set me in motion. On my 86 GT I looked at all of the torque box repair and strengthening kits available, then went and fabbed up my own version which includes boxing the frame in that area for extra strength and tieing them into the outer sides for even more strength.

Glad you located the instructions. It's nice to know for sure it will work before buying.
Im not real experienced in fuel system work.when I first started thinking about it it seemed kinda scary to do it my self.
Making sure the length is correct, using material that would last and however the sock need to attach to the end.just some quick thoughts I had.
Who knows when I get all the rest of the parts and that's all that's left,pockets empty I got the itch plans might change on the fly. ; )
Old 10-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #50
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Im not real experienced in fuel system work.when I first started thinking about it it seemed kinda scary to do it my self.
Making sure the length is correct, using material that would last and however the sock need to attach to the end.just some quick thoughts I had.
Who knows when I get all the rest of the parts and that's all that's left,pockets empty I got the itch plans might change on the fly. ; )
I'm not sure they will include a sock, but as long as you have a good filter like we spoke about earlier you should be good to go.

As for material, most of the factory stuff is just steel.
For attachment, I would and have completely removed the factory fuel suction tube and just bend up and weld in a new line using measurements from the factory pieces.
Plans are made to be changed and modified to fit current wants and needs.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #51
Road Trip!

Just steel huh?i would think you would have to worry about corrosion.I may pull it out before I buy the pickup and check out the job.I appreciate the input and ideas.always appreciated.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #52
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Just steel huh?i would think you would have to worry about corrosion.I may pull it out before I buy the pickup and check out the job.I appreciate the input and ideas.always appreciated.
Yep, just steel. Stainless would have been much better, but it would be harder to weld and more expensive too.

Most of the steel used is galvanized or treated in some way to help prevent corrosion.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #53
Road Trip!

Here's some good info I found that talks about reading spark plugs.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html
Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #54
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Here's some good info I found that talks about reading spark plugs.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Spark plug reading

Good find!
I'll add this to the Useful Information thread.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #55
Road Trip!

after checkimg out and reading about that msd 6a btm.that is definately what i want.it of course raises the budget some but i think it will be worth it.it seems as it could free up a good amount of horse power while keeping your engine safe.i realized that when you mentioned it earlier in the thread but i didnt really see any with some quick searches.(must have been bad google moment). my original plan was to just get a cheaper box and add the seperate ****** controller.but i think all in all i will be getting a better quality box with built in features that i need.also seems that the install would probably be easier with less clutter.
so no need for specifics yet but this kind of box the install seems pretty plug and play huh.i checked out a pdf and it looks like it come with a plug that should just plug in.the tac also hooks up to the box.right now i have my tac hooked up to my coil ground.then all i would have to do is tee off of my boost gauge line and run it to the box. does this sound right. the reason i was asking is since my car has been converted to carb will the plug be the same.it hooks to the distributer plug right?i didnt do my carb conversion myself but if i remember correctly the distributor gets changed during the conversion which would mean my plug may not be the same.if that was the case i could just hard wire it ?or does it get hard wired anyways?
sorry for so many questions just like to know what im getting into.(as you can tell lol)
Old 11-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #56
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
after checkimg out and reading about that msd 6a btm.that is definately what i want.it of course raises the budget some but i think it will be worth it.it seems as it could free up a good amount of horse power while keeping your engine safe.i realized that when you mentioned it earlier in the thread but i didnt really see any with some quick searches.(must have been bad google moment). my original plan was to just get a cheaper box and add the seperate ****** controller.but i think all in all i will be getting a better quality box with built in features that i need.also seems that the install would probably be easier with less clutter.
so no need for specifics yet but this kind of box the install seems pretty plug and play huh.i checked out a pdf and it looks like it come with a plug that should just plug in.the tac also hooks up to the box.right now i have my tac hooked up to my coil ground.then all i would have to do is tee off of my boost gauge line and run it to the box. does this sound right. the reason i was asking is since my car has been converted to carb will the plug be the same.it hooks to the distributer plug right?i didnt do my carb conversion myself but if i remember correctly the distributor gets changed during the conversion which would mean my plug may not be the same.if that was the case i could just hard wire it ?or does it get hard wired anyways?
sorry for so many questions just like to know what im getting into.(as you can tell lol)
Yes, it is mostly plug and play. You may have to buy a harness from them to do that, but it makes it much quicker and easier.
Teeing off from your boost gauge should work just fine.
Yes, they plug into the distributor. You may have to use a wiring diagram for earlier carbureted Mustangs for your connections. Just find what most closely matches what you have.
You can hard wire or they may have the plug in harness you need. You will have to research that and see.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 AM   #57
Road Trip!

Cool.that's what I wanted to know.thanx
Old 11-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #58
Road Trip!

So I was changing my electric fan out and decided to check on how much room the blower belt will take up before I picked out my new fan.I called Holley instead of summit this time because summit told me it had a 3" belt on it.this is a small blower so I wasnt sure of his response.anyways Holley which makes the s/c says that the the s/c is not really designed for my car.but he did say it will work if I use a manual belt tensioner off of a 83-85 v6 model.that is not really a big deal though.he was able to give me the exact dimension for where the furthest point out , being the crank pulley in comparison to the front intake bolt.that measurement is 10".that gives me a hair over 3" to fit a new electric fan.
He was also able to confirm my carb and fuel pump choice as to being a good one.
Just a little update of my research and maybe even a refernce to me or anyone else that may want to do the same thing.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Oh yeah.I will also probably have to steal the throttle linkage off of my Holley 550 cfm carb because the Holley 750 supercharger carb is not vehicle specific and will probably not fit my cable.they should have the same mounting stud though.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #59
Road Trip!
Supporter

Yeah, the Summit guy was way off base.
The SC you picked out has a 10 Rib belt which is made like the factory belt but just a bit wider. I would hazzard a guess at 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" belt width maximum.

Most Holley carbs will accept many different linkages, so you shouldn't have a problem there.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #60
Road Trip!

the only other minor thing that worries me is my underdrive pulleys will probably not work anymore.i forgot to ask but i would guess that the crank pulley that comes with it is probably a new one piece pulley that accepts the s/c and serpentine belt.which means i will probably also need a new serpentine belt and to check my alternater pulley.when i first put my underdrive pulleys on i had a slow charging issue,so i changed the alternator pulley size and belt size.i will most likely have to play that game again.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

a 3" belt is a belt that you may find on an 871 or 671 but not the 174 lol.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #61
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
the only other minor thing that worries me is my underdrive pulleys will probably not work anymore.i forgot to ask but i would guess that the crank pulley that comes with it is probably a new one piece pulley that accepts the s/c and serpentine belt.which means i will probably also need a new serpentine belt and to check my alternater pulley.when i first put my underdrive pulleys on i had a slow charging issue,so i changed the alternator pulley size and belt size.i will most likely have to play that game again.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

a 3" belt is a belt that you may find on an 871 or 671 but not the 174 lol.
Just put your stock pulleys back on.
With the Supercharger you won't need the small benefit provided by the UD pulleys.
I bought a set some years ago and never used them, because I would need an alternator upgrade to do so. Since I purchased my SC I don't ever plan on using them now.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #62
Road Trip!

This looks very interesting:
http://www.atomicefi.com/
Tell me that wouldn't be a bad a** setup for a blown mustang.I'm gonna try to find the price of it.its probably gonna be out of my price range though.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #63
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
This looks very interesting:
Atomic EFI - Atomic makes EFI easier than easy
Tell me that wouldn't be a bad a** setup for a blown mustang.I'm gonna try to find the price of it.its probably gonna be out of my price range though.
I saw a vid on You Tube about it.
If I remember correctly the price was around $2300.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #64
Road Trip!

Quote:

I saw a vid on You Tube about it.
If I remember correctly the price was around $2300.
eek!i was afraid of that.if it was in the 1000-1500 range I may have considered it.I likes like a really simple setup.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #65
Road Trip!

Scored off eBay brand new for 180. It is missing the retarded knob which summit can get me for 70.total cost 250.total savings 140.

Msd btm - check
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111116_220251.png
Views:	72
Size:	542.8 KB
ID:	34486  
Old 11-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #66
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Scored off eBay brand new for 180. It is missing the retarded knob which summit can get me for 70.total cost 250.total savings 140.

Msd btm - check
SCORE!
That was a deal!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #67
Road Trip!

Quote:

SCORE!
That was a deal!
I think people were scared to bid high cause it was missing the knob.but I called to make sure I could get it first.I do have to hurry and get it though cause they have limited stock since they quit making them.msd went to a newer digital box to replace the btm.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:39 AM   #68

Region: Michigan
Good deal but be wary of ebay parts
smilymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #69
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilymike
Good deal but be wary of ebay parts
I am very cautious!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #70
Road Trip!

I should be able to hook up the btm now even though I'm not s/ced yet.I want to make sure it works since it was an eBay purchase.I know it won't ****** the timing and all but the rest of the box should still work similar of a 6al or comparable right?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT