What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 21 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #701
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

I can return return the bolts I got and get the carriage bolts...it makes sense and it'll look cleaner!...ok now for my brain fart...the ubolts uhh you talkin about using them to connect the ds loop to the sfc's?...if ya need some ill pick those up too...just let me know sizes n junk!..
I already have u bolts. I'll setup a quick mock up to show u when I get home shortly.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #702
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

I already have u bolts. I'll setup a quick mock up to show u when I get home shortly.
Roger that cracker jack!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #703
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Something like this. Except the u bolt will be through the bracket not on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120427_153011.png
Views:	52
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	48429   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120427_153029.png
Views:	51
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	48430  

dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #704
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Something like this. Except the u bolt will be through the bracket not on it.
Ok cool..thats what I was thinking...
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #705
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

Ok cool..thats what I was thinking...
If you prefer your loop to be welded in that is no problem either. I just remember you said something about being able to remove. So I will leave that up to you. Either way is just as easy. I think I will u bolt mine in.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #706
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
I think ubolts will do just fine..in case of it getting mangled it'll be easier for me to remove/replace..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #707
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
i agree with that.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #708
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
i agree with that.
Is 3/8 x 1 1/2 ok?..they dont have 1 1/4 carriage bolts here..

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

Is 3/8 x 1 1/2 ok?..they dont have 1 1/4 carriage bolts here..
Meh...I think im gunna try somewhere else they dont have stainless...
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #709
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
as long as the not threaded area isnt bigger than 1/2" it will work. the parts bolting up add up to 1/2" thickness.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #710
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Found'em...they didnt sell them individually so I got an extra 10 if ya need them....it was actually cheaper then the hex head bolts!..

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

And they only look to be about 1/4` deep..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #711
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Found'em...they didnt sell them individually so I got an extra 10 if ya need them....it was actually cheaper then the hex head bolts!..
Sweet. Well maybe I will use them then.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #712
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Seems nobody had 1 1/4 just 1 1/2 I wonder if carriage bolts dont come in 1 1/4?...wierd..??..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #713
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
That is possible. I know regular bolts do come in 1 1/4
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #714
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Yeah the first one I got were 1 1/4...cool thing is I met this guy who said he has lots of fox body parts for sale 347 stroker,some after market heads (dont remember what brand) new cobra R hood,cobra wheels!...all out of my price range,but he has a few small things I need!..and he said he has a little kit to stop the infamous window clatter when you shut the door?...ever heard of this?..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #715
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
road trip bonus!

no i havent. but my windows clatter bad. and they dont line up very well.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #716
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Yea wasn't that many there maybe about 15-20 cars
That's because it's in the middle of nowhere. can't wait till I can make it to a midnight madness event out there.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Thanks everyone, it's all good, no serious issues detected or found.

Now all of you have to keep putting up with me for a while longer.
Glad to hear everything checked out ok.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #717
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Glad to hear everything checked out ok.
Thanks, 93.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #718
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Ok I put this in the at track section, but I figured I would here to. My buddy gave me a couple old motorcycle helmets. I was wondering if it was ok to use at the track. They say dot on them. I didn't know if they expire and are to code.

And I was also wondering what size rim I should get. And if they will fit. The slicks I am getting are 15/10/27.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120430_160146.png
Views:	39
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	48801  
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #719
Registered Member
Regular
 
captain78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 851
27-10-15s you should be able to use an 8-10in wide rim. As for the helmets technically should be SNELL approved as well as DOT.
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #720
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
27-10-15s you should be able to use an 8-10in wide rim. As for the helmets technically should be SNELL approved as well as DOT.
Thanx. That's what I needed
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #721
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
27-10-15s you should be able to use an 8-10in wide rim. As for the helmets technically should be SNELL approved as well as DOT.
+1 on SNELL, I'll probably never go fast enough in my car to need the helmet heh.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #722
Registered Member
Regular
 
captain78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 851
13.99 you need a helmet
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #723
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
13.99 at a normal track. lol. steve knows what im talking about. i would also need a cage at 13.49 but hopefully they dont care. but i dont see snell anywhere on my helmets so they are probably no good. plus they are really old. im gonna have to see if i can burrow else where. i did find this info on the one helmet. http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...tCategoryCode=

i am hoping i can hit high 12s but honestly i have no clue what im gonna do.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #724
Registered Member
Regular
 
captain78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 851
Lol well if that's the case it might be good enough lol kinda like my track lol they had a guy running high 12s wearing a half shell Harley helmet lol
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #725
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
13.99 at a normal track. lol. steve knows what im talking about. i would also need a cage at 13.49 but hopefully they dont care. but i dont see snell anywhere on my helmets so they are probably no good. plus they are really old. im gonna have to see if i can burrow else where. i did find this info on the one helmet. http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...tCategoryCode=

i am hoping i can hit high 12s but honestly i have no clue what im gonna do.
Yeah I know what you're talkin bout
Im sure they'd say somethin eventually,but if anything they might just say you need it next time..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #726
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: what it takes...

Check your track and see what rules they follow IHRA or NHRA, then you can look up the SA specification in the appropriate rule book.OR, they may have their own rules for bracket cars like captain78 said and what you have will work fine.


P.S. Go ahead and put a bar in that thing so you don't skin your head up. You can probably do a bolt in bar that "could" be removed when not needed if you didn't mind the hassle.
IMO, convertibles should come with factory bars. We had to retrieve a person from under a flipped over convertible when I was on the Fire Dept/EMT squad. It was not a pretty sight and that was one of the three bad wrecks that made me decide I just couldn't deal with seeing people all torn up and dead anymore. The other two were an airplane crash and a high speed impact and fire. I liked helping people, but I just couldn't take it anymore, so after 18 years of service I called it quits.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #727
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Check your track and see what rules they follow IHRA or NHRA, then you can look up the SA specification in the appropriate rule book.OR, they may have their own rules for bracket cars like captain78 said and what you have will work fine.

P.S. Go ahead and put a bar in that thing so you don't skin your head up. You can probably do a bolt in bar that "could" be removed when not needed if you didn't mind the hassle.
IMO, convertibles should come with factory bars. We had to retrieve a person from under a flipped over convertible when I was on the Fire Dept/EMT squad. It was not a pretty sight and that was one of the three bad wrecks that made me decide I just couldn't deal with seeing people all torn up and dead anymore. The other two were an airplane crash and a high speed impact and fire. I liked helping people, but I just couldn't take it anymore, so after 18 years of service I called it quits.
i feel you. and if i decide to go to the track more than once it will be top priority. but i basically just want to see what it does. you got to remember i may have(and do) have a car seat in the back. that is why im trying to avoid the bar. but i do appreciate your concern.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #728
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
i feel you. and if i decide to go to the track more than once it will be top priority. but i basically just want to see what it does. you got to remember i may have(and do) have a car seat in the back. that is why im trying to avoid the bar. but i do appreciate your concern.
Even more reason to have one. Design it around the car seat. With your fabbing skills I don't think you will find it too hard to do.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #729
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Tooshay.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #730
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Tooshay.
Sorry to keep bugging you about that, but after seeing that wreck it has made me paranoid. Every time I see a convertible the memory of it pops into my head.


P.S. Same goes for anyone else with a convertible. Seriously consider a rollover bar, please.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #731
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Sorry to keep bugging you about that, but after seeing that wreck it has made me paranoid. Every time I see a convertible the memory of it pops into my head.

P.S. Same goes for anyone else with a convertible. Seriously consider a rollover bar, please.
i have honestly been thinking about it. i was actually showing some of my buddies some that lrs had. i think there is a good chance that i will get one. but the first time at the track i will not have it. no reason to apologize. i take your advice very seriously.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #732
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Picked up my tires today. Now to find some rims. I sure hope they fit cause they look pretty big.not bad for free huh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120502_191325.png
Views:	57
Size:	567.2 KB
ID:	49045   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120502_191350.png
Views:	50
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	49046  

dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #733
Filibuster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Picked up my tires today. Now to find some rims. I sure hope they fit cause they look pretty big.not bad for free huh?
Freebies!!!....I actually got my m/t et streets for $100 each installed...they guy that does my exhaust had a step son who wrecked his fox and the tires were all he had left of it...
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #734
Registered Member
Regular
 
captain78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 851
Nice what size are they
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #735
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

Freebies!!!....I actually got my m/t et streets for $100 each installed...they guy that does my exhaust had a step son who wrecked his fox and the tires were all he had left of it...
nice. thats a good deal. i got these from my cousin. he races quit a bit. he must have a pile of about 100 of them. but we are always hooking each other up with stuff. i can also get them mounted for free. my father inlaw works at a tire shop. i just need to find a good deal on some rims.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

10-27-15
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:26 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.