What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 29 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #981
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

I also ran across this info if it is needed.

"OK, this I know for sure on a 15x7 rim 4 lug, the bolt circle diameter / backspace is 4.25 inches with an offset of .88 with a tire size of P225/60VR/15. If the 16 inch rims your talking about like the 5 star ponys are the same size rim as the SVO Mustang rims, they would be a 5 bolt pattern 16x7 rim, the bolt circle diameter / backspace would be 4.50 inches with an offset of 1.75, and a tire size of P225/50VR/16. Maybe this will help you out a little better with the rim sizes you are looking for. These sizes came straight out of a FORD Factory manual, so I know that these sizes are correct. Joe @ Mustanggt.org"
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #982
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

No, I don't think that would be a good idea.
Seven inches is too much difference and it will pull the sidewalls up leaving you only a small contact patch in the center of the tire tread.

I did some searching to, because I was just sure in my mind they were 8", but I was wrong, they are 7".

I did find this: - Here -
Here is a basic guideline for backspacing for fox-body wheels:

7" width - 4.5" backspace

8" width - 5-5.5" backspace

9" width - 6" backspace

10-10.5" width - 6.5" backspace
nice info. which was pretty much what you was thinking to.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #983
Road Trip!

after much and much searching. i think im gonna go with those summit wheels. i was hoping to find some under 100$ but not a biggie.jegs has some identical, but with there name on it for the same price. but may as well just do one purchase.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

i was gonna mess with the vacuum thing today. then i decided to wait until i get the gauge. i am realyy curious how much im off. i bet its quit a bit. i am excited cause i have been wanting it since i upgraded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #984
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
after much and much searching. i think im gonna go with those summit wheels. i was hoping to find some under 100$ but not a biggie.jegs has some identical, but with there name on it for the same price. but may as well just do one purchase.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

i was gonna mess with the vacuum thing today. then i decided to wait until i get the gauge. i am realyy curious how much im off. i bet its quit a bit. i am excited cause i have been wanting it since i upgraded.
I think those wheels are probably your best choice. If you have time some diligent searching may turn up a used set for cheap.

I'm excited to see your results from the wideband too. I wish it had worked out like I planned before, but my finances have taken a definite turn for the worse over the last several weeks. 1-800-CRYBABY eh?

We should probably try to work you up some type of tuning log sheet to keep track of your changes. Be thinking about what all you would like on it and I can put one together in Word, Excel or PDF format for you.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #985
Road Trip!

Quote:

I think those wheels are probably your best choice. If you have time some diligent searching may turn up a used set for cheap.

I'm excited to see your results from the wideband too. I wish it had worked out like I planned before, but my finances have taken a definite turn for the worse over the last several weeks. 1-800-CRYBABY eh?

We should probably try to work you up some type of tuning log sheet to keep track of your changes. Be thinking about what all you would like on it and I can put one together in Word, Excel or PDF format for you.
That sounds good. I have already been thinking about what I want to log. Tell me what you think.

Current: af, fuel pressure, timing, vacuum,idle, temperature, dated

Adjustments: af(after adjusted), fuel pressure, timing,idle, idle air screw,

These are basically the only means of tuning I have. So I figure I can jot down the current settings each time. And then the adjustments I made. Then finally the results. I think the categories I listed should about cover it. Anything else you can think of? Maybe humidity? And of course I am only gonna log whenever my a/f gets out of wack, and I need to adjust.

Maybe on the sheet, we can have a double box under each category. One for current, and one for adjusted?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #986
Road Trip!
Supporter

Sounds good, I can't think of anything else at the moment, but if I do I'll add it to the document.
You can have it however you want.

MS Excel document ok?
That will be the easiest to make it up in and if you have a laptop you could just enter it directly into the sheet.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #987
Road Trip!

Quote:
Sounds good, I can't think of anything else at the moment, but if I do I'll add it to the document.
You can have it however you want.

MS Excel document ok?
That will be the easiest to make it up in and if you have a laptop you could just enter it directly into the sheet.
Yes that will be fine. Thanx
Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #988
Road Trip!

check deposited. ordering tomorow. i get summit orders next day. now i got some work to do. not including the tie rods and steering shaft.

i read somewhere about the spacer being made of different materials for different uses. the one i posted is plastic. is that fine? or is that more track only. i think i need aluminum. then also i just get 2 carb gaskets?

i dont know if you remember me modifying my throttle bracket before? but im gonna have to space that up to probably.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #989
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
check deposited. ordering tomorow. i get summit orders next day. now i got some work to do. not including the tie rods and steering shaft.

i read somewhere about the spacer being made of different materials for different uses. the one i posted is plastic. is that fine? or is that more track only. i think i need aluminum. then also i just get 2 carb gaskets?

i dont know if you remember me modifying my throttle bracket before? but im gonna have to space that up to probably.
Spacers are made of many different materials, usually to isolate the carb from heat.
Plastic will be fine and you will need two gaskets. One 4-hole and one open center.
Be sure they don't come with the spacer before you order some.

Sorry, I don't remember the bracket mod very well, but I hope that's just a minor inconvenience. I know how little things can turn out sometimes.

You just concentrate on what you really want to do first. I'm in no hurry whatsoever for the rack.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #990
Road Trip!

Quote:

Spacers are made of many different materials, usually to isolate the carb from heat.
Plastic will be fine and you will need two gaskets. One 4-hole and one open center.
Be sure they don't come with the spacer before you order some.

Sorry, I don't remember the bracket mod very well, but I hope that's just a minor inconvenience. I know how little things can turn out sometimes.

You just concentrate on what you really want to do first. I'm in no hurry whatsoever for the rack.
when i say i will get something to someone i dont like it to take forever. thats just the guy i am. speaking of steve is probably wondering where his ds loop is! lol soon if you read this steve.

my throttle bracket from my old offey didnt bolt up. so i had to cut the base off and weld a new one on it. i can probably just make some 1" spacers and longer bolts though. no bigggie.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #991
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
when i say i will get something to someone i dont like it to take forever. thats just the guy i am. speaking of steve is probably wondering where his ds loop is! lol soon if you read this steve.

my throttle bracket from my old offey didnt bolt up. so i had to cut the base off and weld a new one on it. i can probably just make some 1" spacers and longer bolts though. no bigggie.
I know, you are much like me in that respect, but take your time anyways.

Oh yeah, that refreshes my memory. It shouldn't be very difficult to do.
I have used the long "hanger nuts" (not the correct name I'm sure) and small pieces of threaded rod to make studs and used those to space things up. It provides a strong base and gives it a "mechanical" look too.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #992
Road Trip!

Quote:

I know, you are much like me in that respect, but take your time anyways.

Oh yeah, that refreshes my memory. It shouldn't be very difficult to do.
I have used the long "hanger nuts" (not the correct name I'm sure) and small pieces of threaded rod to make studs and used those to space things up. It provides a strong base and gives it a "mechanical" look too.
you talking about the long threaded nuts? well they are nuts but really long? if so i have done that to. i also use small pieces of pipe etc.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #993
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
you talking about the long threaded nuts? well they are nuts but really long? if so i have done that to. i also use small pieces of pipe etc.
Yes, that's them. Stand off or coupling nuts is what I think they are called.

Here's the Log sheet, see what you think.
Attached Files
File Type: xls DreamStangs Tuning Log Sheet.xls (25.5 KB, 109 views)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #994
Road Trip!

perfect. i even found an app to view and edit on my ipad. i was just goona do it through my computer. but i just love my ipad haha. but yeah i think that is perfect!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3449331399.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	55893  
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #995
Road Trip!
Supporter

We got something to go right for once.

One of these days I'm going to have to give in and try to get updated with all of the current technologies.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #996
Road Trip!

Quote:
We got something to go right for once.

One of these days I'm going to have to give in and try to get updated with all of the current technologies.
Yes you will. My arms are getting tired from twisting yours! Lol. I'm ordering today when I get home.

You know honestly. The reason I use mobile devices so much. Mostly iPad when I get home. Is because the speed and ease of it. I can fully boot my iPad up, get on ME, or google search something and be done doing what I have to do in under a minute sometimes. I couldn't even have my login screen on my computer open as fast as I can do all that. But that could be the reason I am such an ME addict. If tv goes to commercial I can go through everything in like 20 seconds, so I'm constantly openening it up.
(More twisting) lol
Old 06-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #997
Road Trip!
Supporter

Therein lies the differences. I'm not all that mobile myself.
My computer stays on 24/7 and just goes into low power mode if I'm not on it for a specified time.
I hate telephones of both types, rude, intrusive machines that demand your attention.
Every time one rings around me it runs the risk of becoming plastic powder.
I love large computer screens so I can see without squinting. Using a 23" now.
I watch TV & movies, DVDs on my computer.
I contact and interact with friends and relatives on my computer.
Did I mention that I do almost everything on my computer?

Right now my only interest in a small computer, is finding one I can mount in the dash of my car, that I can use to run the PMS software dashboard and log my engine info.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #998
Road Trip!

Quote:
Therein lies the differences. I'm not all that mobile myself.
My computer stays on 24/7 and just goes into low power mode if I'm not on it for a specified time.
I hate telephones of both types, rude, intrusive machines that demand your attention.
Every time one rings around me it runs the risk of becoming plastic powder.
I love large computer screens so I can see without squinting. Using a 23" now.
I watch TV & movies, DVDs on my computer.
I contact and interact with friends and relatives on my computer.
Did I mention that I do almost everything on my computer?

Right now my only interest in a small computer, is finding one I can mount in the dash of my car, that I can use to run the PMS software dashboard and log my engine info.
Tooshay! Lol. I mostly use my comp for copying DVDs and stuff I can't do on my iPad. In my house since I have 4 kids. I have 5 laptops, 4 iPods,fancy cells, 2 ipads, 2 ps3s, 2 xboxs, 2 wiis, and 3 flatscreens! You can say I love all gadgets! Lol.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

I ordered everything I mentioned. Rims, super sucker, and wideband. Since its late and weekend I will receive on Monday.yay
Old 06-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #999
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Tooshay! Lol. I mostly use my comp for copying DVDs and stuff I can't do on my iPad. In my house since I have 4 kids. I have 5 laptops, 4 iPods,fancy cells, 2 ipads, 2 ps3s, 2 xboxs, 2 wiis, and 3 flatscreens! You can say I love all gadgets! Lol.
---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------
I ordered everything I mentioned. Rims, super sucker, and wideband. Since its late and weekend I will receive on Monday.yay
We are at 2 PCs, 7 laptops, 3 Tvs and I don't even know how many iPads, iPhones, iPods, XBoxes and Wiis.

The only time I mess with or get to see them is when someone asks, "Can you fix this?"

It's definitely a gadget world nowadays.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #1000
Road Trip!

Quote:

We are at 2 PCs, 7 laptops, 3 Tvs and I don't even know how many iPads, iPhones, iPods, XBoxes and Wiis.

The only time I mess with or get to see them is when someone asks, "Can you fix this?"

It's definitely a gadget world nowadays.
gadget world it is!

oh i forgot to mention the sucker came with gaskets. i will just need longer bolts. and im willing to bet i can dig up 4- 5/16 bolts in my bins that will work.

i think i am gonna mount the wideband right in the middle of the radio delete i made. should be a painless install, i hope.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #1001
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
gadget world it is!

oh i forgot to mention the sucker came with gaskets. i will just need longer bolts. and im willing to bet i can dig up 4- 5/16 bolts in my bins that will work.

i think i am gonna mount the wideband right in the middle of the radio delete i made. should be a painless install, i hope.
I was thinking that it should come with gaskets, but some manufacturers will try to ream you for every penny they can. If your bolt collection is anything like mine (and I'm betting it is) you can probably find almost everything you will need.

That will be a good place for it.

I have a pillar pod for 3 gauges, so I plan to put the fuel pressure, boost and wideband gauges in that......unless I change my mind again.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #1002
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Dang guess I'm lost in time I have 1 36in tv that's 2 ft deep and a original nintendo lol and 1 iPhone lol I do have a laptop but it's collecting dust somewhere in my house lol. I did however just invest in a blueray player lol.
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #1003
Road Trip!

Quote:

I was thinking that it should come with gaskets, but some manufacturers will try to ream you for every penny they can. If your bolt collection is anything like mine (and I'm betting it is) you can probably find almost everything you will need.

That will be a good place for it.

I have a pillar pod for 3 gauges, so I plan to put the fuel pressure, boost and wideband gauges in that......unless I change my mind again.
im thinking of saving space on my pillar for volt and oil pressure, which i dont have yet.

and yes i usually dont have to by bolts. unless i need a mass quantity. i bet the difference in my bolt collection to yours, is yours is organized. lol my bins are more like packed small drawers. lmao

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78
Dang guess I'm lost in time I have 1 36in tv that's 2 ft deep and a original nintendo lol and 1 iPhone lol I do have a laptop but it's collecting dust somewhere in my house lol. I did however just invest in a blueray player lol.
well a blue ray is a start! lol
Old 06-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #1004
Registered Member
Regular

But I did just get my summit order in that contained my pushrods and duel piller arm pod with digital oil and temp gauge
Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #1005
Road Trip!

Quote:
But I did just get my summit order in that contained my pushrods and duel piller arm pod with digital oil and temp gauge
well that is definitly more important than the gadget upgrades. priorities first!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #1006
Registered Member
Regular

Yes sir lol

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

And with watching back to the future today and y'all making me feel old by not have gadgets I fixed me a coke float lol
Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #1007
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yes sir lol

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

And with watching back to the future today and y'all making me feel old by not have gadgets I fixed me a coke float lol
Lol.

Back to the future has gadgets in the cars! Best of both worlds.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #1008
Registered Member
Regular

Including the best mod you can put in a car lol the flux capacitor lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-871809971.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	56009  
Old 06-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #1009
Road Trip!

Quote:
Including the best mod you can put in a car lol the flux capacitor lol
as long as you can pull 1.2 jiga watts out of your charging system!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #1010
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

as long as you can pull 1.2 jiga watts out of your charging system!
Marty!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #1011
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Marty!
haha. classic
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #1012
Road Trip!
Supporter

I'd like to go back to the past, say early 60's with what I know now.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #1013
Road Trip!

Quote:
I'd like to go back to the past, say early 60's with what I know now.
you can take me with you!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #1014
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
you can take me with you!
Heck yeah! If we could find a machine shop and a couple of cars we liked, I bet we could make some cash at the races.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #1015
Lorraine's driver

Regular

It really would be awesome to start over again and adjust my heading, steer clear of a few things, but only if I can end up where I'm at now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT