What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 31 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #1051
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

Side loading like uneven tire pressure on the launch?..
probably getting squirley?sliding to the side
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #1052
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
i am gonna get my tires mounted till saturday. my father in law works at a tire shop on sats. he usually does me for free. i cant wait to see them on there! im not gonna put the springs on yet till track day. but i will probably have to jack her up a bit.
Damn man i really wanna go..when you gunna make it there?..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #1053
Road Trip!

Quote:

Damn man i really wanna go..when you gunna make it there?..
ummm... idk yet. it is still gonna be a little bit. im guessing 1-2 months. maybe sooner though. i am definitly gonna plan ahead. so i will let you know at least a week or 2 in advance. hopefully you wont have to see me get spanked by the gto!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #1054
Filibuster

Quote:

ummm... idk yet. it is still gonna be a little bit. im guessing 1-2 months. maybe sooner though. i am definitly gonna plan ahead. so i will let you know at least a week or 2 in advance. hopefully you wont have to see me get spanked by the gto!
Lol..i have faith with the slicks you can take him..though it might take some practice launching and gettin your 60ft perfected..but if I go ill run with ya a couple times for practice just to build your confidence..hell ill race the gto too!!

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

And I prolly wont run with my m/t streets as I have a fear of breakin somthin with them:/
Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #1055
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Side loading like uneven tire pressure on the launch?..
No, like the car sliding sideways.
The Cragars were known to fail in those scenarios and in fact one of my best friends from high school was killed when one of his front Cragar rims broke off after he ran off the road then turned quickly trying to correct the skid. His front rim broke, dug into the ground and flipped the car into a barrel roll throwing him out and crushing him under the car.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #1056
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Spanked by a GTO...............NEVAH!
We might have to hide some NAWS on that Stang.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #1057
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The Cragars were known to fail in those scenarios and in fact one of my best friends from high school was killed when one of his front Cragar rims broke off after he ran off the road then turned quickly trying to correct the skid. His front rim broke, dug into the ground and flipped the car into a barrel roll throwing him out and crushing him under the car.
thats terrible man. sorry to hear that.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Quote:

Spanked by a GTO...............NEVAH!
We might have to hide some NAWS on that Stang.
haha. the ls2 is no joke. he is my best friend. its over 400 hp stock. he has hurst shifter, spintech exhaust, and cai. its fonna be tough to beat that. those cars run real low 13s from the factory! but the worst thing is he talks alot of smack. i always tell him hes 23k in and i am 9k. so he should be twice as fast, right?!? lol
Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #1058
Filibuster

Quote:

Ouch...that sucks..I lost a friend in high school due to a rollover in a pickup,but it was just a blowout in a turn that rolled the truck and threw her out the passenger side..she wasn't wearing a belt..I've worn a seat belt ever since..
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #1059
Road Trip!

Quote:

Ouch...that sucks..I lost a friend in high school due to a rollover in a pickup,but it was just a blowout in a turn that rolled the truck and threw her out the passenger side..she wasn't wearing a belt..I've worn a seat belt ever since..
last week my good friend rolled his ranger on the highway doing about 65-70. he was wearing a belt, luckily. but as he rolled towards the driver side he stuck his hand on the ground to catch himself. he tore it up pretty good. serious nerve and tendon damage. its pretty nasty. he is gonna be out of work for at least 6 months.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #1060
Filibuster

Quote:

last week my good friend rolled his ranger on the highway doing about 65-70. he was wearing a belt, luckily. but as he rolled towards the driver side he stuck his hand on the ground to catch himself. he tore it up pretty good. serious nerve and tendon damage. its pretty nasty. he is gonna be out of work for at least 6 months.
Just saw the pic eek!!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #1061
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
thats terrible man. sorry to hear that.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

haha. the ls2 is no joke. he is my best friend. its over 400 hp stock. he has hurst shifter, spintech exhaust, and cai. its fonna be tough to beat that. those cars run real low 13s from the factory! but the worst thing is he talks alot of smack. i always tell him hes 23k in and i am 9k. so he should be twice as fast, right?!? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Thanks, that was a long time ago. I was 17 when it happened and I've never forgotten him or the accident.

I had a good friend who was the same way. Anything to get under my skin.
When you race that GTO pull out all the stops. Remove anything and everything you do not need to lighten the car as much as possible, a little racing fuel or AV gas and crank up the advance as much as you can. Check your brakes and make sure they are not dragging any, use a lightweight lithium grease to pack your front wheel bearings for less rolling resistance, remove the sway bars to drop the weight. If possible use nitrogen to fill your slicks so they don't over inflate from the heat. Over fill the front tires slightly to lessen rolling resistance. Run with as little fuel in the tank as you can to lose some more weight........and anything else you can think of.

Oh yeah, take carb jets and accelerator pump nozzles so you can tune for the track.

Steve, I have done like you and worn my seat belt most of the time since the accident too.
Sorry for your loss I know how bad that hurts.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #1062
Road Trip!

Quote:

Thanks, that was a long time ago. I was 17 when it happened and I've never forgotten him or the accident.

I had a good friend who was the same way. Anything to get under my skin.
When you race that GTO pull out all the stops. Remove anything and everything you do not need to lighten the car as much as possible, a little racing fuel or AV gas and crank up the advance as much as you can. Check your brakes and make sure they are not dragging any, use a lightweight lithium grease to pack your front wheel bearings for less rolling resistance, remove the sway bars to drop the weight. If possible use nitrogen to fill your slicks so they don't over inflate from the heat. Over fill the front tires slightly to lessen rolling resistance. Run with as little fuel in the tank as you can to lose some more weight........and anything else you can think of.

Oh yeah, take carb jets and accelerator pump nozzles so you can tune for the track.

Steve, I have done like you and worn my seat belt most of the time since the accident too.
Sorry for your loss I know how bad that hurts.
Good tips. I'm on it!

I usually wear my seat belt cause I hate the dinger. But after recent events, I'm on the band wagon.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #1063
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Good tips. I'm on it!

I usually wear my seat belt cause I hate the dinger. But after recent events, I'm on the band wagon.
And please do wear those belts. I've convinced myself that it would be really stupid to die because I didn't wear a seat belt when it is right there waiting every time I get in a vehicle. I'm going with the 5-point harness in my Mustang and regardless of how much a PITA it will be to put on and take off I will wear it every time I operate the car as will any passengers in the one remaining seat beside me.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #1064
Road Trip!

Mounted slicks on rims. They don't fit on car. They hit inner fender and outer fender. Lol. The outside will clear with those springs you(th) gave me. The inside hopefully can be massaged with a bfh. If not I will have to vet a spacer.

They are really baloony. They still measure 12" across, even though they say 10" right on the side. Do I have some type of cheater slick or something?

When the sun goes down a little I'm gonna check the coils on the explorer.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #1065
Filibuster

Quote:
Mounted slicks on rims. They don't fit on car. They hit inner fender and outer fender. Lol. The outside will clear with those springs you(th) gave me. The inside hopefully can be massaged with a bfh. If not I will have to vet a spacer.

They are really baloony. They still measure 12" across, even though they say 10" right on the side. Do I have some type of cheater slick or something?

When the sun goes down a little I'm gonna check the coils on the explorer.
Do you still have them on the car?..i'd like to see a pick Damnit!..
Old 06-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #1066
Road Trip!

Quote:

Do you still have them on the car?..i'd like to see a pick Damnit!..
i couldnt get them all the way on!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #1067
Filibuster

Quote:

i couldnt get them all the way on!
Gay..
Old 06-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #1068
Road Trip!

Quote:

Gay..
Yeah. They measure 12" wide. Idk
But a bfh, stock springs, and if I have to wheel spacers.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #1069
Road Trip!
Supporter

12"! I didn't think they would go over 10" to 10.5"?

There is an article in the Useful Info on how to "massage" the inner fenders.
Double check the outside clearance and roll the lip if you need to, so you don't cut the tires when your weight shifts on take off and under power.

P.S. Those aren't "wrinkle walls" are they? That might explain why they ballooned out like you said.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:01 AM   #1070
Road Trip!

Quote:
12"! I didn't think they would go over 10" to 10.5"?

There is an article in the Useful Info on how to "massage" the inner fenders.
Double check the outside clearance and roll the lip if you need to, so you don't cut the tires when your weight shifts on take off and under power.

P.S. Those aren't "wrinkle walls" are they? That might explain why they ballooned out like you said.
Yes, they are wrinkle walls.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #1071
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yes, they are wrinkle walls.
Then that's why they ballooned out. The sidewalls are pretty soft and flexible on those, but if everything works right you get a good "slingshot" effect when you launch.

P.S. Mark the tire and rim with a bit of white paint or something, so you can make sure the rim isn't slipping or spinning inside the tire.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #1072
Road Trip!

Quote:

Then that's why they ballooned out. The sidewalls are pretty soft and flexible on those, but if everything works right you get a good "slingshot" effect when you launch.

P.S. Mark the tire and rim with a bit of white paint or something, so you can make sure the rim isn't slipping or spinning inside the tire.
Good idea. I'll mark them. If they decide to spin on the rim, then I may run some screws in them.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #1073
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Good idea. I'll mark them. If they decide to spin on the rim, then I may run some screws in them.
If you need to do so, here is a spacing gauge idea that you could easily fab.

Wheel & Tire Screw Drilling Gauge
Old 06-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #1074
Road Trip!

Quote:

If you need to do so, here is a spacing gauge idea that you could easily fab.

Wheel & Tire Screw Drilling Gauge
Perfect!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #1075
Road Trip!

I don't know if you can see the amount of balloon from the pic. I can get a better one if needed. But I'm worried if its gonna be worth it to clearance these things. As I may not be able to drop the pressure very low.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120701_210628.png
Views:	64
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	57228  
Old 07-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #1076
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I don't know if you can see the amount of balloon from the pic. I can get a better one if needed. But I'm worried if its gonna be worth it to clearance these things. As I may not be able to drop the pressure very low.
I don't know for sure and I'd hate to guess and be wrong for your sake, but under acceleration they should get taller and skinnier.

Where you would run into problems is the beginning and end of the run.
If you can manage 1/2" to 1" clearance on each side of the tire you may be ok.

P.S. There's always the "air shock" cure.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #1077
Road Trip!

Quote:

I don't know for sure and I'd hate to guess and be wrong for your sake, but under acceleration they should get taller and skinnier.

Where you would run into problems is the beginning and end of the run.
If you can manage 1/2" to 1" clearance on each side of the tire you may be ok.

P.S. There's always the "air shock" cure.
Air shocks . Lol
I had some of those on my 84 olds tornado. Lol it was the pimp mobile. Haha.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #1078
Road Trip!
Supporter

I wasn't sure you were old enough to remember those.

They would help the rubbing issue, but they would also prevent weight transfer.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #1079
Road Trip!

Quote:
I wasn't sure you were old enough to remember those.

They would help the rubbing issue, but they would also prevent weight transfer.
Ill be 30 this year. So when I was young was when they were going out. Some adjustable coil overs would be better. Muhahaha
Old 07-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #1080
Road Trip!

so i been researching the tire dilema. i think i am gonna post my slicks up in the classifieds for a trade. i paid nothing for them. so hopefully i can score some good, used, smaller drag radials or slicks for an even trade.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #1081
Filibuster

Good idea!...save you some cash and the hastle of fittin those monsters under there..
Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #1082
Road Trip!

Quote:
Good idea!...save you some cash and the hastle of fittin those monsters under there..
Yeah for sure. Right now with the balloon from side wall to side wall measures over 12" ! With the thin sidewalls of the wrinkle wall. It would be dangerous if I get a rub at high speeds.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #1083
Road Trip!
Supporter

Very good idea and much safer too.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #1084
Road Trip!

ever heard of goodyear factory slicks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1166326090.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	57386  
Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #1085
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
ever heard of goodyear factory slicks?
I think it is just a misuse of words.
All Goodyear slicks are "factory" slicks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT