What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 32 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #1086
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
thats what i thought. lol but its only about a 20 minute drive. so i may go check them out.

i have done anything in the garage this week because its been blistering hot. but payday im gonna send your rack out. and yeah yeah i know your not in a hurry! lol
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #1087
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
thats what i thought. lol but its only about a 20 minute drive. so i may go check them out.

i have done anything in the garage this week because its been blistering hot. but payday im gonna send your rack out. and yeah yeah i know your not in a hurry! lol
That close, they are well worth checking out.

But I'm not in any hurry.......
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #1088
Road Trip!

Not sure if ill get her done tonight cause I'm sweating balls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120703_184431.png
Views:	51
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	57475  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #1089
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
That looks pretty good, one piece of steel bent up?

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #1090
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX

I can answer this one for him since he's m.i.a. at the moment...yup and I can tell you it's the sencond one he did lol...
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #1091
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

I can answer this one for him since he's m.i.a. at the moment...yup and I can tell you it's the sencond one he did lol...
Lol nice! I need to do something like that since I can't find my 5 speed plastic trim ring and boot. At the moment I'm using my sod trim with a 01 style shifter boot. Doesn't quite fit right.

I also have the complete dash, steering column, rear seats, front seats(already installed) carpet center console from a 2001 stang(black).

I've been throwing around the idea of swapping the dash, center console and carpet in my fox.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #1092
Filibuster

Quote:

Lol nice! I need to do something like that since I can't find my 5 speed plastic trim ring and boot. At the moment I'm using my sod trim with a 01 style shifter boot. Doesn't quite fit right.

I also have the complete dash, steering column, rear seats, front seats(already installed) carpet center console from a 2001 stang(black).

I've been throwing around the idea of swapping the dash, center console and carpet in my fox.
That sounds cool like another thread you should start on the install..uhh I have the driver side seat belt from a 99 haha..
Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #1093
Road Trip!

Quote:

i know where there is some good info on putting sn95 dash in a fox
Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #1094
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

That sounds cool like another thread you should start on the install..uhh I have the driver side seat belt from a 99 haha..
Lol, too much work for me. I'm sure I could probably give it a go but I don't like trying to fit pieces of puzzles lol

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #1095
Road Trip!

Quote:

yeah i fabbed the radio delete a while back. and yes steve the first bend was a failure! lol i just put my wideband in it.

i have the sensor installed, gauge mounted. and all wired up. i didnt mount the radio delete back in yet. i dont have a clue how to calibrate the gauge. the instruction show how to calibrate it through a data logger. and it is all over the place! even though the needle isnt in the right spot, it is all overmthe place. ima try to post a vid in a minute.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Quote:

the boot was like 10$ off ebay. i had the trim laying around and just stapled it together. bent the sheet metal and used some crinkle paint so it matches the dash.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #1096
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Gonna' have to put some AC in the shop......or get some depends?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #1097
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Gonna' have to put some AC in the shop......or get some depends?
right. trust me i have thpught about it! lol (not the depends)
Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #1098
Road Trip!
Supporter

Found some free Data Logging and Configuration Software on AEM website.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #1099
Road Trip!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #1100
Filibuster

Or just do like I used to pull the al bundy and put a kiddy pool out front and take a dip when you get all schweaty!..true story lol
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #1101
Road Trip!

Quote:
Or just do like I used to pull the al bundy and put a kiddy pool out front and take a dip when you get all schweaty!..true story lol
haha. i do have a full size pool though! lol which i didnt even open yet.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Found some free Data Logging and Configuration Software on AEM website.
how can i use the software? how would i hook it up to the gauge without any fancy equiptment?

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

before i thouroughly read the directions. i thought i could just use a volt meter and use the output and chart to set the needle in the right spot.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #1102
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
haha. i do have a full size pool though! lol which i didnt even open yet.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

how can i use the software? how would i hook it up to the gauge without any fancy equiptment?

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

before i thouroughly read the directions. i thought i could just use a volt meter and use the output and chart to set the needle in the right spot.
I don't really know, but I'm assuming there is some way to connect it to a laptop?
You may be able to use a voltmeter.
Give me the model number/name of the gauge and I'll see if I can't find some instructions, so I can be of more help to you.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #1103
Road Trip!

this one

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AVM-30-5130/?rtype=10
Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #1104
Road Trip!
Supporter

Well crap!It looks like to be able to use the gauge to connect to a Laptop and actually log the data, you have to buy a data logger of course for another $350-$370. There is no reason they couldn't have made it so you could plug it into a Laptop and do the same thing with some software. Fn jerks! Anything to bleed more money from you.

On the other hand redneck ingenuity will prevail.
Your suggestion of using a multi-meter will work ok I believe.
You may want to source a small 0-5 volt digital gauge and mount it permanently beside your Wideband gauge for future reference and accuracy monitoring.

I didn't actually see anything that said you have to calibrate the gauge. Maybe that is only for use with the data logger?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #1105
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well crap!It looks like to be able to use the gauge to connect to a Laptop and actually log the data, you have to buy a data logger of course for another $350-$370. There is no reason they couldn't have made it so you could plug it into a Laptop and do the same thing with some software. Fn jerks! Anything to bleed more money from you.

On the other hand redneck ingenuity will prevail.
Your suggestion of using a multi-meter will work ok I believe.
You may want to source a small 0-5 volt digital gauge and mount it permanently beside your Wideband gauge for future reference and accuracy monitoring.

I didn't actually see anything that said you have to calibrate the gauge. Maybe that is only for use with the data logger?
well to change the color plate you have to pull the needle. and there is no key or anything on the shaft to line the needle back up. so basically once i pulled it, its not calibrated anymore. i am not to worried about data logging. it would be cool. but i just want to make sure its accurate.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #1106
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
well to change the color plate you have to pull the needle. and there is no key or anything on the shaft to line the needle back up. so basically once i pulled it, its not calibrated anymore. i am not to worried about data logging. it would be cool. but i just want to make sure its accurate.
Just check against your voltmeter and refer to the chart like you said and you should be able to get your gauge back in calibration.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #1107
Road Trip!

i just need to know which wire to check then. would it be the actual output wire that would go to the data logger?

if you need i can snap a pic of the instructions. it will only take a sec.?

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

the chart that it shows is off a laptop. but i would think it would be the same concept
Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #1108
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
i just need to know which wire to check then. would it be the actual output wire that would go to the data logger?

if you need i can snap a pic of the instructions. it will only take a sec.?

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

the chart that it shows is off a laptop. but i would think it would be the same concept
The instructions I found for the 5130 shows the white wire as being the positive and the brown wire the negative for the data logging connections. You would use them to check voltage too.

You may want to put some female bullet connectors on there and cap them off with some small vacuum caps for future use and to keep them from shorting out.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #1109
Road Trip!

ok sweet, thanx. i will let you now in the next couple days how it works out. even though its not calibrated itmsure does move alot. but i also didnt let the sensor warm up like the directions say.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

i had the same idea. i was thinking of finding a 2 wire female plug and flush mounting it next to the gauge, like you suggested for a volt meter/gauge.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #1110
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
ok sweet, thanx. i will let you now in the next couple days how it works out. even though its not calibrated itmsure does move alot. but i also didnt let the sensor warm up like the directions say.
I put some more advice in the post above and JIC you didn't see it in your instructions, it says to never start the engine with the sensor installed and the gauge not powered up.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #1111
Road Trip!

Quote:

I put some more advice in the post above and JIC you didn't see it in your instructions, it says to never start the engine with the sensor installed and the gauge not powered up.
no i didnt see that. how could that happen when the gauge is hooked to ignition?

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

i just read through again and seen the do not start without power thing. that shouldnt happen since its hooked to ignition. i just wonder what would happen if i did this. maybe throw readings off?

i will say the hardest part of the install was tracking down my hole saws! lol my 3 year old was actually a great help. he held the flash light. fetched connectors from a drawer by himself. fetched the drill. he is a regular ol apprentice! he made me proud today. he even held the negative lead on my meter while i tested wires!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #1112
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
no i didnt see that. how could that happen when the gauge is hooked to ignition?

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

i just read through again and seen the do not start without power thing. that shouldnt happen since its hooked to ignition. i just wonder what would happen if i did this. maybe throw readings off?

i will say the hardest part of the install was tracking down my hole saws! lol my 3 year old was actually a great help. he held the flash light. fetched connectors from a drawer by himself. fetched the drill. he is a regular ol apprentice! he made me proud today. he even held the negative lead on my meter while i tested wires!
I wonder if they mean the battery power and not the ignition signal?
It would probably back feed and damage the gauge I would guess.

Hole saws.........yeah I have a set of those and several special sizes, God only knows where I put them last though.

That's really cool that he helps you like that at that age.
My youngest daughter was my helper.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #1113
Road Trip!

Quote:

I wonder if they mean the battery power and not the ignition signal?
It would probably back feed and damage the gauge I would guess.

Hole saws.........yeah I have a set of those and several special sizes, God only knows where I put them last though.

That's really cool that he helps you like that at that age.
My youngest daughter was my helper.
im trying to get him into cars why hes young. and he loves being in the garage.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #1114
Road Trip!

ok i calibrated the wideband. it was a little bit of a pain because there is a rubber gasket that touches the face plate and clear lense. well once you set the needle and try to tighten the cover back on the face plate will spin. but besides that the technique we talked about worked great.

i already notice one thing i dont like. when i rev it, the gauge spikes all over the place. mostly when i let off. i dont know if this is normal. but when i did that with my meter on the output wires, it didnt spike like the actual gauge was.

on a side note. i ran the motor for only about 2-3 minutes. the sensor says about 30 second warm up for accuracy. so with that said the whole time i was running at about 12.8 - 13 afr. i think thats pretty good being i didnt adjust anything since i had the gauge.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #1115
Road Trip!
Supporter

Hmmm, I wonder if you have a small leak in the exhaust before the sensor?

That would show up more when you let off the gas as that is when it would suck in the outside air.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #1116
Road Trip!

Quote:
Hmmm, I wonder if you have a small leak in the exhaust before the sensor?That would show up more when you let off the gas as that is when it would suck in the outside air.
Idk. I will check though to be sure. I definitely haven't noticed any major leaks. It's wierd though cause I don't see the voltmeter spike any where near as much as the gauge. It stays within a half volt. But the gauge jumps up 4-5 units(?).
Old 07-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #1117
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Idk. I will check though to be sure. I definitely haven't noticed any major leaks. It's wierd though cause I don't see the voltmeter spike any where near as much as the gauge. It stays within a half volt. But the gauge jumps up 4-5 units(?).
Maybe it's just the gauge and vibrations from the car then?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #1118
Road Trip!

Idk. Did you check out the short bad quality video I posted yesterday? It was before calibration. But even though its not in the right spot you can see the spike

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

I still don't even have the radio delete panel screwed back in yet. I'm sure once I drive some more and play with it I will have some better info.

I'm not gonna adjust any tuning until I put the carb spacer on. Because it says it draws extra fuel. So I'm curious to see what its gonna do.

I am happy that I'm pretty close to a good a/f r. I'm not sure if I should start the logging process yet? Or should I wait until my next parts on. Regardless I would at least lime to drive it first to get the most accurate readings

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I just read somewhere on an import forum that lean spiking is normal on the gauge during deceleration. Since the fuel is cut off so fast , but is still air to be moved.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #1119
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Idk. Did you check out the short bad quality video I posted yesterday? It was before calibration. But even though its not in the right spot you can see the spike

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

I still don't even have the radio delete panel screwed back in yet. I'm sure once I drive some more and play with it I will have some better info.

I'm not gonna adjust any tuning until I put the carb spacer on. Because it says it draws extra fuel. So I'm curious to see what its gonna do.

I am happy that I'm pretty close to a good a/f r. I'm not sure if I should start the logging process yet? Or should I wait until my next parts on. Regardless I would at least lime to drive it first to get the most accurate readings

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I just read somewhere on an import forum that lean spiking is normal on the gauge during deceleration. Since the fuel is cut off so fast , but is still air to be moved.
Yes, I saw the video and the spike.
The panel not being fastened may have some effect on it.
Yes I would log it before the new parts just to see where it is at and what effect they have on it.
It makes sense that it would spike after the fuel was cut off.
Just concentrate on what it does under power and ignore the rest I suppose.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #1120
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yes, I saw the video and the spike.
The panel not being fastened may have some effect on it.
Yes I would log it before the new parts just to see where it is at and what effect they have on it.
It makes sense that it would spike after the fuel was cut off.
Just concentrate on what it does under power and ignore the rest I suppose.
Ok good. I agree with all. I'm not gonna log just yet until I have actually driven it. And I wanna double check it one more time to be sure I have it set right. I also want to install a means of checking it like we talked about. Then I will definitely log before new parts installation. I am curious the. hanges it will make also.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT