What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 33 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #1121
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Ok good. I agree with all. I'm not gonna log just yet until I have actually driven it. And I wanna double check it one more time to be sure I have it set right. I also want to install a means of checking it like we talked about. Then I will definitely log before new parts installation. I am curious the. hanges it will make also.
A small digital voltmeter would be ideal.
Maybe check McMaster-Carr and other electrical metering suppliers or use a round auto gauge to match what you have if you can find one that goes 0-5 volts.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #1122
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Yo, subscribed, but not trolling - unless a "that's what she said" fits somewhere
Old 07-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #1123
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Yo, subscribed, but not trolling - unless a "that's what she said" fits somewhere
That would probably fit in, in numerous places throughout this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #1124
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

That would probably fit in, in numerous places throughout this thread.
Lol.yes it may.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #1125
Road Trip!

the best i can come up with is a digital panel meter. http://www.virtualvillage.com/mini-r...01480-182.html

they are all over ebay. they are the only kind i can find that goes to 0 volt. i just need to make sure the power feed is 12 volt. and that it is small enough to fit and not look gaucky. but they are cheap.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #1126
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
the best i can come up with is a digital panel meter. Mini Red LED DC 100V Digital Voltage Volt Panel Meter

they are all over ebay. they are the only kind i can find that goes to 0 volt. i just need to make sure the power feed is 12 volt. and that it is small enough to fit and not look gaucky. but they are cheap.
Here's an even cheaper one. DC Voltage Panel Meter
I think it has 12 volt connection to power the gauge and two other wires to read whatever you monitor. You might want to check that and be sure before you buy though. Any DC Voltage Meter should read from 0-whatever is specified for the upper end.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #1127
Road Trip!

Quote:

Here's an even cheaper one. DC Voltage Panel Meter
I think it has 12 volt connection to power the gauge and two other wires to read whatever you monitor. You might want to check that and be sure before you buy though. Any DC Voltage Meter should read from 0-whatever is specified for the upper end.
yes thats how most that i have looked at wire up. not all of the meters go to 0. and i couldnt find any auto type gauges that did either. all automotive gauges are usually 8-16 volt range. and it has to be digital to get the .1 volt accuracy. our panel builder guy showed me these type of gauges. when i searched ebay there was over 7000 hits! lol so there is a good selection. the one you posted looks good. i just want to make sure of the size of any before i buy on payday. if i would have originally known i was gonna use this i wouldve off set the wideband in the radio delete panel. so thats why i want a small one so it dont look funny. i like everything symetrical and even. lol
Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #1128
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I'm gonna go to page 1 and try to get caught up here, if that's cool. I'm trying to educate my brain some.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #1129
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
I'm gonna go to page 1 and try to get caught up here, if that's cool. I'm trying to educate my brain some.
you better get a cup of coffee! there is definitly alot of brain storming in this thread mixed with alot of unique problems and fun chit chat. happy reading.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #1130
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

you better get a cup of coffee! there is definitly alot of brain storming in this thread mixed with alot of unique problems and fun chit chat. happy reading.
Right on! The brain storming is the cool part. Hope you guys don't mind. I know I'm still a noob here. I'm ready Had my evening cup a joe already
Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #1131
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Right on! The brain storming is the cool part. Hope you guys don't mind. I know I'm still a noob here. I'm ready Had my evening cup a joe already
i would be more than happy if anything in my thread could help someone learn or come up with any ideas etc. it is public so anyone is more than welcome to read as much as they want. i know i sure learned alot from this process!

looks like coffes gone so you should be good.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #1132
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
yes thats how most that i have looked at wire up. not all of the meters go to 0. and i couldnt find any auto type gauges that did either. all automotive gauges are usually 8-16 volt range. and it has to be digital to get the .1 volt accuracy. our panel builder guy showed me these type of gauges. when i searched ebay there was over 7000 hits! lol so there is a good selection. the one you posted looks good. i just want to make sure of the size of any before i buy on payday. if i would have originally known i was gonna use this i wouldve off set the wideband in the radio delete panel. so thats why i want a small one so it dont look funny. i like everything symetrical and even. lol
Every Digital DC voltage meter I ever installed at the Power Plant I worked at had the ability to go from 0 to whatever the upper limit was, but those were expensive industrial panel mount meters, so maybe that's the difference.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #1133
Road Trip!

well. most of the panel type meters go to 0 i guess. but some dont. but the auto type gauges dont.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

after azure mentioned reading the whole thread, i went back and read some pages. man do i ask alot of questions! lol
Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #1134
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
well. most of the panel type meters go to 0 i guess. but some dont. but the auto type gauges dont.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

after azure mentioned reading the whole thread, i went back and read some pages. man do i ask alot of questions! lol
Yeah, I've got to many different mechanical and electrical systems running around in my head and it's easy to get them mixed up sometimes.

Asking questions is how you learn. I drove the local mechanics nuts before we got the internet.

Gotta' crash, TTYL.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #1135
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yeah, I've got to many different mechanical and electrical systems running around in my head and it's easy to get them mixed up sometimes.

Asking questions is how you learn. I drove the local mechanics nuts before we got the internet.

Gotta' crash, TTYL.
all right man. nighty night!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #1136
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
I wonder if TH watches antique roadshow before he passes out?...or wheel of fortune maybe?...lol...jk TH
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #1137
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
I wonder if TH watches antique roadshow before he passes out?...or wheel of fortune maybe?...lol...jk TH
Lol, no I think if he watched the antique roadshow he would be like the grandma and roommates from the movie Grandmas Boy lol j/k

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #1138
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX

Lol, no I think if he watched the antique roadshow he would be like the grandma and roommates from the movie Grandmas Boy lol j/k
I think he watches The Benny Hill show.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #1139
Road Trip!

Quote:
lol. thats funny, i dont care who you are.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #1140
Road Trip!
Supporter

Ahhuh, I see how it is.

No Antiques Road Show and I hate Wheel of Fortune, but I loved to watch me some Benny Hill back when it was on.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #1141
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Ahhuh, I see how it is.

No Antiques Road Show and I hate Wheel of Fortune, but I loved to watch me some Benny Hill back when it was on.
Ha! I was hoping that didn't come across the wrong way.

By the way, your tech sticky's Rock TH! It certainly makes me miss having a fox even more.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #1142
Road Trip!

called about slicks on craigslist. meeting him sunday. they are brand new never mounted. 125$
Old 07-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #1143
Filibuster

Quote:
called about slicks on craigslist. meeting him sunday. they are brand new never mounted. 125$
What kind?..
Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #1144
Road Trip!

good year. they are only 8" wide. so they will fit much better.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #1145
Filibuster

Quote:
good year. they are only 8" wide. so they will fit much better.
Those will prolly fit on your old rims wont they?...
Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #1146
Road Trip!

my old rims and new rims are pretty much identical. i only bought the rims so i can have track rims that i can swap whenever i want without having to worry about mounting.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #1147
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Ha! I was hoping that didn't come across the wrong way.

By the way, your tech sticky's Rock TH! It certainly makes me miss having a fox even more.
With me you never have to be worried about that. I can take a joke and lots of ribbing.
I only get mad when someone gets mean and nasty with me.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #1148
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
What a bargain! You scored good on those.
P.S. If they are "age hardened" there are ways to deal with that.

Quote:
my old rims and new rims are pretty much identical. i only bought the rims so i can have track rims that i can swap whenever i want without having to worry about mounting.

That's an excellent idea and one I intend to copy if I'm ever able to race again.
We did it back in the day too, but were usually stuck using heavy steel wheels as the aftermarkets were to expensive for most of us to afford to buy two spares for our slicks.
Ahh, the good old days, I'm sure glad they are over.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #1149
Filibuster

Quote:

That's an excellent idea and one I intend to copy if I'm ever able to race again.
We did it back in the day too, but were usually stuck using heavy steel wheels as the aftermarkets were to expensive for most of us to afford to buy two spares for our slicks.
Please explain the ”age hardened” and how to fix this!..cause my m/t's are sittin at my parents garage ans am thinkin they're gettin ”aged”..
Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #1150
Road Trip!

Quote:

lol.

i have a nice cordless snapon impact and lightweight aluminum jack. i plan on taking my tools and swapping at track after i do some passes on street tire.

p.s. you will race again. let the force be with you. damn it. i cant quit star wars referencing! arghh

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Quote:

Please explain the ”age hardened” and how to fix this!..cause my m/t's are sittin at my parents garage ans am thinkin they're gettin ”aged”..
im curious also
Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #1151
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Ok, I will try.
Slicks and tires in general are made of basically un-cured rubber. Any tire and slicks especially, left sitting for long periods of time will begin to "cure" or harden. To combat this and bring some useful life back to the tire they make "treatments" for the tires.
One of these is Formula V Traction Treatment. Properly applied it will revitalize the tire for better traction and increased life.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #1152
Filibuster

Quote:

Ok, I will try.
Slicks and tires in general are made of basically un-cured rubber. Any tire and slicks especially, left sitting for long periods of time will begin to "cure" or harden. To combat this and bring some useful life back to the tire they make "treatments" for the tires.
One of these is Formula V Traction Treatment. Properly applied it will revitalize the tire for better traction and increased life.
Ok I get it...thinkin I have to get this v traction stuff..thanks..
Ps...isn't jeopardy on right now?..lol
Wait no it's prolly the price is right old school stuff with bob barker on vhs ain't it?..haha..
Old 07-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #1153
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Ok I get it...thinkin I have to get this v traction stuff..thanks..
Ps...isn't jeopardy on right now?..lol
Wait no it's prolly the price is right old school stuff with bob barker on vhs ain't it?..haha..
All right, just remember about paybacks Steve.

I think you will like the Formula V. It does work very well and has rejuvenated numerous old slicks for me and my cousin.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #1154
Filibuster

Quote:

All right, just remember about paybacks Steve.

I think you will like the Formula V. It does work very well and has rejuvenated numerous old slicks for me and my cousin.
Right on!...damn paybacks are a beyatch!..
Old 07-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #1155
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:

Ok, I will try.
Does that work on any "rubber"?

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT