What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 39 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #1331
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Where is the #1 piston?
It should be at TDC and the cam lobes for that cylinder should be on the base circle of the cam (both valves closed).

Hope those guides aren't "hardened" too, or hogging them out will be difficult.
#1 is tdc. that goes with what I was sayin earlier that when I put the cam in straight up the mark being on the top of the cam gear both intake and exhaust lobes are closed. If I match the the marks up (how they recommend) the intake and exhaust are opening..
Im not going to try and hog out the valve guides. Just going to see if I can run without them or find 3/8's size guides. The weird thing is the old pushrods and guides are 5/16 and nobody can find a BB with guides or rods that aren't 3/8's
FYI this is why everyone runs SB 350's!..you can't mix and match stuff like you can with 350's

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

In the pic with only the pass side head on you can see TDC of #1
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #1332
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I know I'm probably just stating the obvious. But are you sure the #1 cylinder isn't at a different location than what your used to?

Will these work?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRO-70506-8/
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #1333
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
#1 is tdc. that goes with what I was sayin earlier that when I put the cam in straight up the mark being on the top of the cam gear both intake and exhaust lobes are closed. If I match the the marks up (how they recommend) the intake and exhaust are opening..
Im not going to try and hog out the valve guides. Just going to see if I can run without them or find 3/8's size guides. The weird thing is the old pushrods and guides are 5/16 and nobody can find a BB with guides or rods that aren't 3/8's
FYI this is why everyone runs SB 350's!..you can't mix and match stuff like you can with 350's

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

In the pic with only the pass side head on you can see TDC of #1
That's strange, I wonder if there was a difference in years built, camshaft grind or something? Maybe try to determine the firing order of the cam and be sure it matches up to the engine you have?

I'd get the 3/8" guides. Running without may not work out very well, especially if a rocker arm/pushrod loosens up.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #1334
Filibuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
I know I'm probably just stating the obvious. But are you sure the #1 cylinder isn't at a different location than what your used to?

Will these work?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRO-70506-8/
Yeah it's the same #1 cylinder at tdc the harmonic balancer is at 0 inline with the #1
And yeah as I was sayin in the text im sure summit has the 3/8 guide plates just giving it a rest for today.
Oh and if I call summit I should tell them to post a pic of the correct guide plates as those are SB guides or at least not the offset ones for a 454...lol

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Quote:

That's strange, I wonder if there was a difference in years built, camshaft grind or something? Maybe try to determine the firing order of the cam and be sure it matches up to the engine you have?

I'd get the 3/8" guides. Running without may not work out very well, especially if a rocker arm/pushrod loosens up.
Yeah we'll be getting the guides definitely not gunna run without them..
The cam is my only real wonder..but I'd have to guess it's because of an aftermarket cam and stock timing gears?...just have to see of it spits flames out the carb when we crank it lol
Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #1335
Road Trip!

Yeah they should definitely use the right pic. For some of us less eduamacated cats , we rely on them.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #1336
Filibuster

It's like ordering from dennys at 3am all s**tfaced when you just point at a pic and say ”I° WaNt dAt°”
Old 07-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #1337
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
It's like ordering from dennys at 3am all s**tfaced when you just point at a pic and say ”I° WaNt dAt°”
Been there done that lol, the biscuits and gravy at 3am, needless to say they hooked us up with biscuits and gravy, plateth over floweth

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #1338
Filibuster

Love biscuits n gravy

I called summit and talked to a tech and he said the 12 o'clock postition is ok for the cam gear..and got the 3/8” guide plates at the local race shop..both good news!..I guess the 5/16” guides were a truck thing as those engines don't see as much high revving...but the dude at the shop said we probably would've bent the rods with even just a performer cam and 5/16 push rods!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #1339
Road Trip!

I'll have some finished loop pics up here soon after I finish my din din.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #1340
Road Trip!

Well. It's not much different than the other pics. But here it is. All done. Yay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120723_202831.png
Views:	49
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	60507  
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #1341
Filibuster

Sweet...have you had a chance to mount the slicks yet?...the track is calling you now!.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #1342
Road Trip!

I may get some betterpics tomorrow. It's still jacked up and needs some touch up paint. But I started work at 5:00 and working 70 hours a week beside my little camp trip. So stick a fork in because I'm done.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Sweet...have you had a chance to mount the slicks yet?...the track is calling you now!.
No. I spaced it off last weekend and this weeken I was out of town. I can only do it on Saturdays because its free. My father inlaw works at a tire shop but only on satudays.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #1343
Road Trip!
Supporter

That turned out great.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #1344
Road Trip!

thanx.

it had to be exact. i pretty much have no room for error. the bracket squeex(barely) between the connectors and floor pan. the there is about 1/2 to 3/4" clearance all the way aroundmthe driveshaft. then its about a 1/2" away from the tunnel all the around. so thise factors made it a bit tricky. and the lock washers made the job way easier to tighten the carriage bolts.

tomorow im gonna pick up some flux core wire and get some better weld on it. last time i changed my wire imboughtnsome really cheap stuff. and i got what i paid for.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

hey . i was also womdering since i didnt get her off the jacks yet,mi have more like an 1" - 1 1/2" on the top of the loop. and about 2-3 " on the bottom. imwas thinking that should be plenty huh? when i jacked the car up i did it by the pumpkin so the axle would stay properly spacedmto the body.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #1345
Lorraine's driver

Regular

^I was wondering how much clearance you need too.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #1346
Road Trip!

one other thing. i forgot to mention my panel meter came in friday.

@ TH
imremember you asked if only 1 decimal point (tenths) was accurate enough. youmcan actually set it and most panel meters where the decimal point will be. so basically i can set it to read 0-9.99 or 0- 99.9

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
^I was wondering how much clearance you need too.
im hoping and pretty sure that it will be. i pretty much got everything i could out of it.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #1347
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
That turned out great.
Yup, I agree!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #1348
Road Trip!

my son made me proud again. i gave him a 3/8 bolt and had him fetch nuts outmof the bolt bin. he dug through there and threaded each one onto the bolt and got them right. keep in mind he is only 3 years old.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #1349
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
my son made me proud again. i gave him a 3/8 bolt and had him fetch nuts outmof the bolt bin. he dug through there and threaded each one onto the bolt and got them right. keep in mind he is only 3 years old.
Man, that's cool! How does he do in your garage? Do your really need to watch him close, meaning he's not afraid of anything?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #1350
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yup, I agree!
thanx
Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #1351
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
thanx.

it had to be exact. i pretty much have no room for error. the bracket squeex(barely) between the connectors and floor pan. the there is about 1/2 to 3/4" clearance all the way aroundmthe driveshaft. then its about a 1/2" away from the tunnel all the around. so thise factors made it a bit tricky. and the lock washers made the job way easier to tighten the carriage bolts.

tomorow im gonna pick up some flux core wire and get some better weld on it. last time i changed my wire imboughtnsome really cheap stuff. and i got what i paid for.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

hey . i was also womdering since i didnt get her off the jacks yet,mi have more like an 1" - 1 1/2" on the top of the loop. and about 2-3 " on the bottom. imwas thinking that should be plenty huh? when i jacked the car up i did it by the pumpkin so the axle would stay properly spacedmto the body.
It should be, but it might be worth your time to support the body and then move the rearend up and down to it's limits to ensure it won't hit. Sorry, I'm a little late with that tidbit.

Quote:
one other thing. i forgot to mention my panel meter came in friday.

@ TH
imremember you asked if only 1 decimal point (tenths) was accurate enough. youmcan actually set it and most panel meters where the decimal point will be. so basically i can set it to read 0-9.99 or 0- 99.9

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

im hoping and pretty sure that it will be. i pretty much got everything i could out of it.

I knew most panel meters could be set, but I wasn't sure that one could be.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #1352
Road Trip!

Quote:

Man, that's cool! How does he do in your garage? Do your really need to watch him close, meaning he's not afraid of anything?
yeah i have to keep an eye on him. but half the time he was kying under the car with me. i get nervous about that. but i left 2 jacks on it. and jack stands. and i chaulked the wheels. just to be safe.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Quote:

It should be, but it might be worth your time to support the body and then move the rearend up and down to it's limits to ensure it won't hit. Sorry, I'm a little late with that tidbit.

I knew most panel meters could be set, but I wasn't sure that one could be.
yeah if it doesnt fit then im screwed. it pretty much ismabout a half inch from the exaust and a half inch from the top of the tunnel.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #1353
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
That's pretty darn good for a 3 year old.
I bet dad looked like this. That's my boy!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #1354
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Yeah, I love the pic w/ him pushin the slick. I showed my wife and she was...aw that's cute!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #1355
Road Trip!

thanx guys. yes he makes me very proud.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #1356
Road Trip!
Supporter

Hey guys, Looky Here - Alternator Pulley-Clutch

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these to protect my expensive 200 amp alternator.
What's your take on it?
Old 07-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #1357
Road Trip!

Quote:
Hey guys, Looky Here - Alternator Pulley-Clutch

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these to protect my expensive 200 amp alternator.
What's your take on it?
I think it definitely looks like a good investment. Since I got a cheap 3g eBay alternator I probably won't get it. But if I had dropped some nice money on one, for sure I would. Nice.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #1358
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I think it definitely looks like a good investment. Since I got a cheap 3g eBay alternator I probably won't get it. But if I had dropped some nice money on one, for sure I would. Nice.
I have this 200 Amp alternator still NIB waiting to be installed, so I want to protect it for sure.

Since I will have an electric water pump, electric fan, electric pre-lube pump, battery mounted in the rear, the PMS, and MSD ignition, I wanted to be sure my alternator was up to the task. The only "bad thing" so to speak is that you wouldn't believe how heavy this thing is.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #1359
Road Trip!

Quote:

I have this 200 Amp alternator still NIB waiting to be installed, so I want to protect it for sure.

Since I will have an electric water pump, electric fan, electric pre-lube pump, battery mounted in the rear, the PMS, and MSD ignition, I wanted to be sure my alternator was up to the task. The only "bad thing" so to speak is that you wouldn't believe how heavy this thing is.
With your application, I would get it. It would be well worth the expense for peace of mind. I eventually may look into some electric accessories. But so far everything seems to be doing its job.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #1360
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
With your application, I would get it. It would be well worth the expense for peace of mind. I eventually may look into some electric accessories. But so far everything seems to be doing its job.
Yep, your combo is just fine.
You know well how I usually "go overboard" on stuff.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #1361
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yep, your combo is just fine.
You know well how I usually "go overboard" on stuff.
overboard is just fine. your car should be how you want it. and im willing to bet your will be pretty reliable, well depending on how the block holds. lol my lack of overboard is probably just laziness!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #1362
Lorraine's driver

Regular

So this will act similar to the clutch fans in that it will slip some when needed?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #1363
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
So this will act similar to the clutch fans in that it will slip some when needed?
Yes, it slips to keep from over revving the alternator and causing damage to it.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #1364
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Yes, it slips to keep from over revving the alternator and causing damage to it.
Cool! Doesn't look like it would require a larger size belt either. Nice find!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #1365
Filibuster

Got the compcams 3/8” guide plates in and buttoned up the valve train finally..just need a few more little things then maybe will get a chance drop it in this weekend!...”hopefully”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120726_182040.png
Views:	55
Size:	578.6 KB
ID:	61007  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT