What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 45 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #1541
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Ok, I'm back for a while anyways. Whaaaattttssss Uuuuuuppp fellas!
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #1542
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Yay.. I feel like we should a welcome home.party or something. Lol
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #1543
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
There he is damn I had to read all those post took me a min..

Old 08-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #1544
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Hey man, glad your back!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #1545
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Ok, I'm back for a while anyways. Whaaaattttssss Uuuuuuppp fellas!
Welcome back sunshine!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #1546
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
I feel like the theme song from Cheers should be playing

Sometimes you gotta go where everybody knows your name, and their always glad you came

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #1547
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX
I feel like the theme song from Cheers should be playing

Sometimes you gotta go where everybody knows your name, and their always glad you came
Lmao! Maybe we should edit the name of the thread to cheers
Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #1548
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Lol!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #1549
Road Trip!
Supporter

Thanks guys, it's a relief to get my PC functioning enough to get back here. I missed talking with ya'll.
I had numerous admin duties to do and a bunch of threads to go through and I ended up staying up all night working at that and trying to get my internet links and stuff back on the browser. I'm not to sure I like this Windows 8, but you guys with smart phones will probably love it. Cheers!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #1550
Road Trip!

Quote:
Thanks guys, it's a relief to get my PC functioning enough to get back here. I missed talking with ya'll.
I had numerous admin duties to do and a bunch of threads to go through and I ended up staying up all night working at that and trying to get my internet links and stuff back on the browser. I'm not to sure I like this Windows 8, but you guys with smart phones will probably love it. Cheers!
I haven't kept up to speed on the windows. I have vista, live, and xp on my PCs. Is 8 the newest one? Just wondering cause I think here soon I may give my desktop to the kids and get a new laptop.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #1551
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

I haven't kept up to speed on the windows. I have vista, live, and xp on my PCs. Is 8 the newest one? Just wondering cause I think here soon I may give my desktop to the kids and get a new laptop.
Yup windows 8 just came out, I built myself a new "gaming" desktop back in feb. and bought windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I don't know if I would like windows 8 or not.

Before I built my own I used a laptop with vista and a desktop with xp. So far I really like windows 7, if I really wanted to I could upgrade to windows 8 for under 100. I dabble in computers a lil bit

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #1552
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX

Yup windows 8 just came out, I built myself a new "gaming" desktop back in feb. and bought windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I don't know if I would like windows 8 or not.

Before I built my own I used a laptop with vista and a desktop with xp. So far I really like windows 7, if I really wanted to I could upgrade to windows 8 for under 100. I dabble in computers a lil bit
Ever since windows 95 I would always not like the newest one until after the small learning curves kick in, which isn't usually to long. I'm sure once I play with whatever I get I will be fine. I used to be pretty good with them. But since I got my iPad I don't use my pc to much.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #1553
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I don't use my laptop too much cause of my iPad too. Love it, just wish they would quit having a slappy fight over flash support.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #1554
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
I don't use my laptop too much cause of my iPad too. Love it, just wish they would quit having a slappy fight over flash support.
That is the one reason I like my android more than Ios. But atleast I can view PDF files now. When I first got my iPad you couldn't.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #1555
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I bought mine when the iPad 2 came out. It had more power grunt grunt grunt At that time I figured that would get it worked out. Now, I don't think it will ever support flash.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #1556
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Yes, 8 is the newest. I don't like it much because of the "smart phone" like "desktop" and interaction system. I've done what I can to get it to work more like Win 7, which is my favorite by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post

Win 8 for desktops and maybe laptops isn't out yet that I know of, but it is only supposed to cost around $40 from what I have read so far. What I'm using is the Win 8 consumer preview. They also have a Win 8 Release Preview out, if you want to try it click the preceding link for a download ISO that you can burn to disk to install it. I'm willing to try it as long as I can still revert portions of it back to Win 7 style, otherwise I won't be much interested in it.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #1557
Road Trip!

hey trojan. when you made that excel doc for me. we didnt even think about adding a log for jet sizes. if i attach the doc here are you able to edit it and add that? i can use the document just fine. but imdont have much experience with it. i cant figure out how to make the bixes around it. lol i know you have been busy lately. so if it takes a while thats fine. i want to log the last time i ran it and today. i dont know if you saw my write up thread or not but 25* makes a huge difference.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #1558
Road Trip!

ok. here is the result of 25*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3433171515.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	63271  
Old 08-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #1559
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Can you do a WOT in any gear and obtain the results needed to fine tune for A/F?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #1560
Road Trip!

Quote:
Can you do a WOT in any gear and obtain the results needed to fine tune for A/F?
i dont see why not. my results so far are without driving the car. these are just parked idle+revs. im sure when i take her for a spin they will change. i was gonna take it for a spin today but decided not to. im sure the extremely high a/f isnt a big deal at idle. but at wot it would be. i basically just wanted to start the log since i was getting so much variance from temp change.

the a/f actually was improving quite a bit during revs. that tells me that the issue shouldnt be fuel pump issue. that was an original concern that i had, if my pump would be sufficient. the reason i believe it improves during revs is because it is vacuuming more fuel.

i will get more into the log and what i need to improve/adjust once i take it for a spin. im not gonna do anything until i install my 1" super sucker carb spacer. the spacer actually says to decrease jet size because it will pull more fuel. since i need a little more fuel, maybe i will get lucky. if not there is still no reseason to rejet until i have it installed and can get a better idea of what i need.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #1561
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

i dont see why not. my results so far are without driving the car. these are just parked idle+revs. im sure when i take her for a spin they will change. i was gonna take it for a spin today but decided not to. im sure the extremely high a/f isnt a big deal at idle. but at wot it would be. i basically just wanted to start the log since i was getting so much variance from temp change.

the a/f actually was improving quite a bit during revs. that tells me that the issue shouldnt be fuel pump issue. that was an original concern that i had, if my pump would be sufficient. the reason i believe it improves during revs is because it is vacuuming more fuel.

i will get more into the log and what i need to improve/adjust once i take it for a spin. im not gonna do anything until i install my 1" super sucker carb spacer. the spacer actually says to decrease jet size because it will pull more fuel. since i need a little more fuel, maybe i will get lucky. if not there is still no reseason to rejet until i have it installed and can get a better idea of what i need.
Yes, that would be good about the spacer. I wonder what load does in the mix, bc it can't change the air. So if it's the same air going in, seems like it wouldn't matter. Maybe if you had a ram air setup, maybe that would be another variable to account for. But that is an increase how much, but it's the same air, right? My brain hurts.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #1562
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yes, that would be good about the spacer. I wonder what load does in the mix, bc it can't change the air. So if it's the same air going in, seems like it wouldn't matter. Maybe if you had a ram air setup, maybe that would be another variable to account for. But that is an increase how much, but it's the same air, right? My brain hurts.
These are actually good questions. I can't be sure how to answer that properly. I do know that an engine will detonate more with load. Hmmmm... Once I get better data I will definitely experiment.

This also makes me wonder why I wasn't getting detonation with that high of an a/f. But also like I said this data isn't nothing to get to crazy over yet as I didn't even drive it. I'm just gonna consider this testing equiptment. Lol

Also the sensor says that it needs to be fully warmed up before its accurate. I'm pretty sure it would have been, but not positive.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

You are just like me azure. I feel like the better I understand this stuff the better off I will be and understand other stuff. It really feels good to learn about how our cars operate.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #1563
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
hey trojan. when you made that excel doc for me. we didnt even think about adding a log for jet sizes. if i attach the doc here are you able to edit it and add that? i can use the document just fine. but imdont have much experience with it. i cant figure out how to make the bixes around it. lol i know you have been busy lately. so if it takes a while thats fine. i want to log the last time i ran it and today. i dont know if you saw my write up thread or not but 25* makes a huge difference.
Yes, but I will need the actual file. What you posted is just a .jpg image of it. I had it on my PC, but it is currently locked in the corrupted drive.
Try to right click on the file and email it to me.
Right click, send to, email recipient.
Or in your email client send it as an attachment.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #1564
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yes, but I will need the actual file. What you posted is just a .jpg image of it. I had it on my PC, but it is currently locked in the corrupted drive.
Try to right click on the file and email it to me.
Right click, send to, email recipient.
Or in your email client send it as an attachment.
yes i know. i just didnt want to send it until you were ready. i just figured i would show everyone the current log. i wil send it now. but like i said i know you have been busy so take your time.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #1565
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
These are actually good questions. I can't be sure how to answer that properly. I do know that an engine will detonate more with load. Hmmmm... Once I get better data I will definitely experiment.

This also makes me wonder why I wasn't getting detonation with that high of an a/f. But also like I said this data isn't nothing to get to crazy over yet as I didn't even drive it. I'm just gonna consider this testing equiptment. Lol

Also the sensor says that it needs to be fully warmed up before its accurate. I'm pretty sure it would have been, but not positive.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

You are just like me azure. I feel like the better I understand this stuff the better off I will be and understand other stuff. It really feels good to learn about how our cars operate.
It won't necessarily detonate because of the A/F ratio.
Detonation is caused by pre-ignition of the A/F mixture in the cylinder.
To lean and the engine combustion chamber will heat up and it can get hot enough to literally burn a hole in a piston.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #1566
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
yes i know. i just didnt want to send it until you were ready. i just figured i would show everyone the current log. i wil send it now. but like i said i know you have been busy so take your time.
Sorry, I misunderstood because I did not read carefully and completely.

It won't take but a few minutes, so it's no problem and anything for my friends.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #1567
Road Trip!

Quote:

It won't necessarily detonate because of the A/F ratio.
Detonation is caused by pre-ignition of the A/F mixture in the cylinder.
To lean and the engine combustion chamber will heat up and it can get hot enough to literally burn a hole in a piston.
ok. i do understand the detonation part. but essentially a car shouldnt detonate if it had a perfect af ratio? im sure it still could but not as likely!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #1568
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
This is true for sure! I'm digging the tech talk on both the 5.0 and the 4.6.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #1569
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
ok. i do understand the detonation part. but essentially a car shouldnt detonate if it had a perfect af ratio? im sure it still could but not as likely!
It can still detonate if the timing is advanced to far.
There is a fine point as the piston is coming up that you can still initiate firing of the plug.
If it fires to soon, then it pushes down on the piston as the piston is still coming up and that is the detonation that rattles the engine so hard that you can feel and hear it.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #1570
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

It can still detonate if the timing is advanced to far.
There is a fine point as the piston is coming up that you can still initiate firing of the plug.
If it fires to soon, then it pushes down on the piston as the piston is still coming up and that is the detonation that rattles the engine so hard that you can feel and hear it.
So is load another variable that is needed along with spark advance? When I had my pinging, it seemed to only happen under the greater loads, where you had more traction.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #1571
Road Trip!

gotcha. i know that is the case. i was just kinda figuring if the a/f was right on that situation would be harder to come by. this is a pretty tricky topic! lol

all though when i was trying to adjust earlier. i was real suprised how little the timing affected the a/f mixture. i figured that fixing the a/f was gonna be as easy as retarding the timing a few degrees. but i actually tried about 8* just chits and giggles and it only changed it a littke bit. so that makes perfect sense to your previous statement. good info as alwasy trojan. :good

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

@ trojan. email sent bubby. thanx again. i had already sent it to myself earlier. cause im still figuring out the excel editor app a mcbobber. so its a forward.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #1572
Road Trip!

I'm excell.rookie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1384102120.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	63305  
Old 08-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #1573
Road Trip!

thanx trojan. yours is better. i was trying but im ot very good hahaha. at least i was learning something. you are the man. im gonna load the one u sent in and save it.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #1574
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
thanx trojan. yours is better. i was trying but im ot very good hahaha. at least i was learning something. you are the man. im gonna load the one u sent in and save it.
It just takes time to learn it. It's a very handy program and you can set it up with all kinds of formulas to do just about any type of mathematical equations you can think of, plus a lot of the tuners, widebands and other like components that use data logging can be fed into it through a computer to produce understandable documents and data.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:49 AM   #1575
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
It's a matter of changing the jets in the carb...
Trust me on this you won't get a better a/f without tuning your carb!!
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT