What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 48 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #1646
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Interesting seeing how much you can really tweak a/f with the wideband!..im just so used to tweaking carbs on how well it idles and how strong it pulls and get a good wiff of exhaust to see if your runnin rich lol...
Anyways whenever I rejetted I always started air screws at a ”stockish” setting as it would be irrelevant where they were before being that the fuel rate is changing. But this is just how I've always done it and I always seemed to get them dialed in.
But then I never had a wideband and that's like having a cheat code!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #1647
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Interesting seeing how much you can really tweak a/f with the wideband!..im just so used to tweaking carbs on how well it idles and how strong it pulls and get a good wiff of exhaust to see if your runnin rich lol...
Anyways whenever I rejetted I always started air screws at a ”stockish” setting as it would be irrelevant where they were before being that the fuel rate is changing. But this is just how I've always done it and I always seemed to get them dialed in.
ya ya so what, im a cheater.

anyways. a perfect atmospheric a/f thingy mo bobber would be 14.1:1. most people say tune to around 13:1ish. i think that is for safety reasons. i am gonna rejet regardless but i wonder if it hurts anything to be a little high? i know it can lead to detonation but im not getting any, even with base timing set to 16* with 21* of advance. gotta love aluminum heads!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #1648
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Up
Down
Down
LH Button
Up
Red+Blue
Turn n cough

There's your cheat code
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #1649
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Up
Down
Down
LH Button
Up
Red+Blue
Turn n cough

There's your cheat code
that reminds meof a code i used to use on the original nintendo. i cant think of the darn game though. up down up down left right left right a b a b select start. lol what was that damn game?
Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #1650
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

that reminds meof a code i used to use on the original nintendo. i cant think of the darn game though. up down up down left right left right a b a b select start. lol what was that damn game?
Contra!!!!! Also the name of a deftones song if I remember right

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #1651
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX

Contra!!!!! Also the name of a deftones song if I remember right
yes! lol thats it. i must have typed that code a million times when i was little.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #1652
Filibuster

Quote:

Up
Down
Down
LH Button
Up
Red+Blue
Turn n cough

There's your cheat code
Lol @ turn n cough..

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Quote:

yes! lol thats it. i must have typed that code a million times when i was little.
I wish they had trophies or achievements back then because contra was one of my favs and in the beginning I used the code but after multiplajillion times of playing I used to beat the game with just the 3 fu©kin lives you start with!..
I would so get back into gaming if my ps3 wasn't in need of a brain transplant!..I do have 360 but ain't got s#it fer games..
Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #1653
Road Trip!

Quote:

Lol @ turn n cough..

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

I wish they had trophies or achievements back then because contra was one of my favs and in the beginning I used the code but after multiplajillion times of playing I used to beat the game with just the 3 fu©kin lives you start with!..
I would so get back into gaming if my ps3 wasn't in need of a brain transplant!..I do have 360 but ain't got s#it fer games..
I may have a spare brain. I have to check if I still have it. My last ps3 my son wedged 6 discs in. It still works but doesn't eject games. Besides that its perfectly fine. But I don't remember if I still have it or not.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #1654
Filibuster

Quote:

I may have a spare brain. I have to check if I still have it. My last ps3 my son wedged 6 discs in. It still works but doesn't eject games. Besides that its perfectly fine. But I don't remember if I still have it or not.
What I need is the old fat ps3. so I can take my hard drive out and put it in the new one. I have way to much s+!t on mine that I can't lose!. And in the mean time ill send mine out to be fixed for $150. Worth it to me cause I have the reverse compatable, 4 usb, 3 memory card slot version that's hard as hell to find.
Plus it's my goddamn blu-ray player!!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #1655
Road Trip!

whats wrong with your?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #1656
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

What I need is the old fat ps3. so I can take my hard drive out and put it in the new one. I have way to much s+!t on mine that I can't lose!. And in the mean time ill send mine out to be fixed for $150. Worth it to me cause I have the reverse compatable, 4 usb, 3 memory card slot version that's hard as hell to find.
Plus it's my goddamn blu-ray player!!
60gb backwards compatable ftw!! I have the same exact one still goin strong (knock on wood)

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote:
whats wrong with your?
I'm gonna assume the YLOD(yellow light of death)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #1657
Filibuster

Quote:
whats wrong with your?
Quote:

60gb backwards compatable ftw!! I have the same exact one still goin strong (knock on wood)

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

I'm gonna assume the YLOD(yellow light of death)
Revised 80gb reverse compatible muhuhahaha!!!...
And the fans won't stay running so it shuts down before it burns itself up..and yes a quick yellow before it shuts down so YLOD. Mine did last 5-6 strong years while my friends 360s were goin down left,and right!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #1658
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

Revised 80gb reverse compatible muhuhahaha!!!...
And the fans won't stay running so it shuts down before it burns itself up..and yes a quick yellow before it shuts down so YLOD. Mine did last 5-6 strong years while my friends 360s were goin down left,and right!
You lucky SOB! Nah it's cool, when I got mine the 80 gig wasn't backwards compat. At the time so I got the 60gb because I have almost 100 ps1 and ps2 games combined lol! Plus I don't have high speed where I live so the HD still has like 30-40 gigs left on it heh.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #1659
Filibuster

Quote:

You lucky SOB! Nah it's cool, when I got mine the 80 gig wasn't backwards compat. At the time so I got the 60gb because I have almost 100 ps1 and ps2 games combined lol! Plus I don't have high speed where I live so the HD still has like 30-40 gigs left on it heh.
Nice I prolly have about 15 ps and ps2 games, but about 40ps3 games and 35-40 blu-ray and an *** load of music and pics stored on my HD I think I have about 20GB left on it..I have 2 movies on it also. Nice thing about ps3 over 360 is how easy it is to store/rip music from ANYTHING and it compresses the music files more then the 360 so it doesn't use as much memory as fast.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #1660
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

Nice I prolly have about 15 ps and ps2 games, but about 40ps3 games and 35-40 blu-ray and an *** load of music and pics stored on my HD I think I have about 20GB left on it..I have 2 movies on it also. Nice thing about ps3 over 360 is how easy it is to store/rip music from ANYTHING and it compresses the music files more then the 360 so it doesn't use as much memory as fast.
Yup, I have one of the original 360s with the 20gb HD, seemed like the HD was full before I really ever put anything on it!

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #1661
Road Trip!

i havent turned my ps3 on in months. i also dont really store anything on them either. i have all my music backed up on an my pc and exteral hd. but damn i see why u want your hd back. that must suck.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #1662
Filibuster

Quote:

Yup, I have one of the original 360s with the 20gb HD, seemed like the HD was full before I really ever put anything on it!
I waited for the black e 250GB elite to come out before I bought a 360 as I believe they had enough time to fix there fuk ups lol..plus it's wifi and touch button like my ps3
Old 08-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #1663
Road Trip!

reverse compatible means it plays ps1 and 2 games? cause the one i have thats broke does
Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #1664
Filibuster

Quote:
i havent turned my ps3 on in months. i also dont really store anything on them either. i have all my music backed up on an my pc and exteral hd. but damn i see why u want your hd back. that must suck.
Quote:
reverse compatible means it plays ps1 and 2 games? cause the one i have thats broke does
Yeah it suxs asses cause I backed it up on my laptop then it took a shaz!.. And yes reverse compatible means exactly that. They only did that for a short time...how,many usb ports does yours have 2 or 4?..
Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #1665
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yeah it suxs asses cause I backed it up on my laptop then it took a shaz!.. And yes reverse compatible means exactly that. They only did that for a short time...how,many usb ports does yours have 2 or 4?..
idk. lemme see if i can find it cause i dont know much about them. i usually didnt use more than one controller so idk. im betting its not the same as yours but worth a shot
Old 08-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #1666
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

I waited for the black e 250GB elite to come out before I bought a 360 as I believe they had enough time to fix there fuk ups lol..plus it's wifi and touch button like my ps3
I've been wanting a new 360 for a while just can't justify getting one since I rarely play the one I have, last game(s) I bought for it was red dead redemption and forza 3. Red dead is just flippin awesome I love that game, also love forza 3 since they have a 93 foxbody cobra which I have purchased and it's maxed out. It fun to watch the computer race with it because everytime it comes to a corner it goes into a tail spin because the engine is a stock car engine I think lol

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #1667
Road Trip!

it was right there in my closet. but yeah its only got 2 usb ports
Old 08-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #1668
Filibuster

Quote:

I've been wanting a new 360 for a while just can't justify getting one since I rarely play the one I have, last game(s) I bought for it was red dead redemption and forza 3. Red dead is just flippin awesome I love that game, also love forza 3 since they have a 93 foxbody cobra which I have purchased and it's maxed out. It fun to watch the computer race with it because everytime it comes to a corner it goes into a tail spin because the engine is a stock car engine I think lol
Gears of war was the whole reason for justifying my 360! MOTHER F**KING LOVE GEARS!!!..
But on the other hand ps3 has GOD OF WAR!..GODDAMN EPIC!!!..sorry about all the yelling lol.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Quote:
it was right there in my closet. but yeah its only got 2 usb ports
Dan....oh im mean GAY!..lol
Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #1669
Road Trip!

Quote:

Gears of war was the whole reason for justifying my 360! MOTHER F**KING LOVE GEARS!!!..
But on the other hand ps3 has GOD OF WAR!..GODDAMN EPIC!!!..sorry about all the yelling lol.
god of war FTW i didnt play it on the ps2 but i got the disk that all the old ones and then of course the new one was totally f'n sick.
oh. its ok to yell hear. the op doesnt care.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Dan....oh im mean GAY!..lol[/QUOTE]<------
Old 08-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #1670
Filibuster

Quote:

god of war FTW i didnt play it on the ps2 but i got the disk that all the old ones and then of course the new one was totally f'n sick.
oh. its ok to yell hear. the op doesnt care.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Dan....oh im mean GAY!..lol
<------ [/QUOTE]

I played gow from the beginning I even have the gow psp that came with gow chains of olympus..it's the only one I've never beaten cause of the damn auto save im at a spot with no life and no magic and a thousand d-bags I gotta murder.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #1671
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
<------
I played gow from the beginning I even have the gow psp that came with gow chains of olympus..it's the only one I've never beaten cause of the damn auto save im at a spot with no life and no magic and a thousand d-bags I gotta murder.[/QUOTE]

I have the same psp!!!! Lmao!! I almost bought the HD collection GOW game but didn't, I god however get the ultimate edition GOW 3

Yes gears of war is off te chain! I have all 3 titles, can't wait for judgement!

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #1672
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
ok. fixed the fuel leak. and did some tuning. and now i have a few questions.

it took 2 complete turns out on the air screws to get the best a/f i could. the best i could get was about 14.8:1 i could get it a hair better but it would stumble a hair when i rev. so once i got it to that point i ran the screws back in a little. so its obvious i need to rejet. also the a/f is a bit higher at idle then it is during revs.

A. when i got a better a/f i lost a couple pounds of vacuum. now i only have about 10 lbs of vacuum. is it better to go to the factory air bleed settings with higher vacuum, then rejet at that locotaion? i checked the screws originally before i farted with them and they were exactly 1 turn out, so i know for referance.

B. does it hurt to have a high a/f ratio if its not causing detonation? because it is really running great.
A. I used the air bleeds to fine tune the fuel delivery of a relatively small (for engine size) 750 Holley on my old 429. I actually ended up buying a bunch of brass allen set screws with the correct threads from McMaster Carr along with a set of very small orifice drill bits and making up my own set of bleeds to tune with. You probably lost vacuum because of your carb tuning. I forget exactly how and why I tuned like I did, but the book should tell you about them, as that's where I originally got my info and I couldn't get the carb just right until I did the air bleeds.

B. No it won't hurt, as long as it does not detonate and you observe no blistering of the plugs you should be ok.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #1673
Road Trip!

A. Well its like with either way I adjust them I lose vacuum to better the a/f that's why I'm thinking that the air bleeds where probably fine the way they were. So I'm probably gonna reset the air bleeds and rejet so hopefully I can get the best vacuum. And honestly without the wideband this fine tuning I'm doing now probably wouldn't even been doing. But then again I may also not have had a perfect tune. But I'm enjoying it and actually think its kinda fun.

B. So if its ok to be high on the a/f ratio. Is it more hp. Cause obviously that's what I'm gonna shoot for. For instance , is the perfect 14.1:1 gonna make more power than the safe 12.8:1? Or is this just something that's gonna need to be track tested?

With the size carb I have and the spacer saying I will need to decrease jet size, I'm kinda suprised a little that I still need to increase jet size.

One more thing. I am using the digital gauge over the needle. The needle on the gauge is actually really jumpy and more tricky to read. Also the digital meter just seems way more accurate. You can also actually watch the volts go up and down with the lope of the cam.

One more thing. Is my lower vacuum related to the spacer? Could it be that I possibly changed the location of where the vacuum was pulling from? Or anything else like that? Oh and sorry for the questions I'm still reading the book. I just enjoy learning and like picking your brain.lol
Old 08-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #1674
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
A. Well its like with either way I adjust them I lose vacuum to better the a/f that's why I'm thinking that the air bleeds where probably fine the way they were. So I'm probably gonna reset the air bleeds and rejet so hopefully I can get the best vacuum. And honestly without the wideband this fine tuning I'm doing now probably wouldn't even been doing. But then again I may also not have had a perfect tune. But I'm enjoying it and actually think its kinda fun.

B. So if its ok to be high on the a/f ratio. Is it more hp. Cause obviously that's what I'm gonna shoot for. For instance , is the perfect 14.1:1 gonna make more power than the safe 12.8:1? Or is this just something that's gonna need to be track tested?

With the size carb I have and the spacer saying I will need to decrease jet size, I'm kinda suprised a little that I still need to increase jet size.

One more thing. I am using the digital gauge over the needle. The needle on the gauge is actually really jumpy and more tricky to read. Also the digital meter just seems way more accurate. You can also actually watch the volts go up and down with the lope of the cam.

One more thing. Is my lower vacuum related to the spacer? Could it be that I possibly changed the location of where the vacuum was pulling from? Or anything else like that? Oh and sorry for the questions I'm still reading the book. I just enjoy learning and like picking your brain.lol
B. Leaner will make more power up to a certain point, BUT! you will need to keep an eye on engine temp and spark plugs to make sure you don't go to lean. If it stumbles when you punch it, but runs ok when you lean it out, then you may need to increase squirter size, pump shot or use a more aggressive pump cam. Keep tinkering reading and learning and you will get the hang of it in no time. Just keep and eye on those spark plugs and make sure you are not blistering them.

The lower vacuum could very well be the spacer if it is introducing air at a faster rate then there will not be as much suction/vacuum in the intake.

Using the digital gauge is probably a better way to do it. Most people wouldn't go to the trouble and just use the gauge, but you are thorough enough and smart enough to want to see the real results, so you get the added benefit of the meter readings over them to tune your engine.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #1675
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

B. Leaner will make more power up to a certain point, BUT! you will need to keep an eye on engine temp and spark plugs to make sure you don't go to lean. If it stumbles when you punch it, but runs ok when you lean it out, then you may need to increase squirter size, pump shot or use a more aggressive pump cam. Keep tinkering reading and learning and you will get the hang of it in no time. Just keep and eye on those spark plugs and make sure you are not blistering them.

The lower vacuum could very well be the spacer if it is introducing air at a faster rate then there will not be as much suction/vacuum in the intake.

Using the digital gauge is probably a better way to do it. Most people wouldn't go to the trouble and just use the gauge, but you are thorough enough and smart enough to want to see the real results, so you get the added benefit of the meter readings over them to tune your engine.
Cool. I will keep an eye on the plugs for sure.

What I meant about the sucker affecting the vacuum is. Since my gauge is hooked up to the intake makes my readings lower because off the now larger plenum volume. Where it is now actually vacuuming more at the carb but the gauge isn't seeing it because its in the intake. Because from what I understand the sucker should pull more vacuum. So with all that said should I hook my vacuum gauge to the carb?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #1676
Road Trip!

A perfect plug. But they only have a couple hundred miles on them tops. But a very hard couple hundred miles!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120817_173338.png
Views:	52
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	64292  
Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #1677
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
A perfect plug. But they only have a couple hundred miles on them tops. But a very hard couple hundred miles!
Yup, they do look good. I kinda didn't like changing plugs on my 302's I had. It was kinda tough.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #1678
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

Yup, they do look good. I kinda didn't like changing plugs on my 302's I had. It was kinda tough.
You should change the plugs in a stang with gt40p heads. I have to run 98 mountaineer plugs and those suckers aren't cheap, cant run your normal 302 spark plugs

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #1679
Road Trip!

changing plugs are a breeze in mine. a benifit of being carbed?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3703535364.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	64299  
Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #1680
Pete Jones
Regular

Passenger side no problem....drivers side...gotta remove my header to change the plugs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1178008228.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	64300  

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT