What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 49 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #1681
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
Plugs aren't to bad.. but man I just did my passenger side header gasket and dam near transformed into hulk trying to get the 3rd from the rear header bolt to thread.. I mean I got pissed. Then took a short break and bam it went in fairly easy. That's how it always goes though.. I'm sure y'all have some stories,

Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #1682
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX
Passenger side no problem....drivers side...gotta remove my header to change the plugs
just take a cutoff wheel and teim about a 1/4 " off the spark plug socket, then use a wrench on the hex shaped part of the socket.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #1683
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

just take a cutoff wheel and teim about a 1/4 " off the spark plug socket, then use a wrench on the hex shaped part of the socket.
Never thought about doin that, that's a pretty good idea! Here's my number 1 cylinder spark plug, maybe about 6-700 miles, couple quarter mile passes too since my heads and intake swap. Still running the stock injectors. I figured I may be running a bit lean but they actually look really good, slight brownish color on the arch.

Running autolite 104 plugs, have to remember that whenever I decide to change them out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2893580398.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	770.6 KB
ID:	64301  

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #1684
Road Trip!

you also maybe able to cut some of the hex part off to. just make sure you dont cut to much off the side that goes on the socket. but hey thats what china sockets are for.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Plugs aren't to bad.. but man I just did my passenger side header gasket and dam near transformed into hulk trying to get the 3rd from the rear header bolt to thread.. I mean I got pissed. Then took a short break and bam it went in fairly easy. That's how it always goes though.. I'm sure y'all have some stories,
yup. thats how it always goes. usually a cold one and a smoke gets my mind back on track.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #1685
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
It will be about the same, but your tuning will be done manually with a carb and it will require some specialized components.
A carb hat or igloo, a blow through carb will be needed with the hat.
An ignition amplifier is always a good idea, as are special irridium fine tip spark plugs to ensure mixture ignition.
You will also have to periodically retune for temperature and humidity changes to keep your engine safe.

To me a carbed engine is much more difficult to tune and maintain than an EFI engine.
I agree,,fuel injection is pretty much done by the computer after its set up..I havent messed with a carb in forever,,I wish everything was fuel injected

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
I agree with the regulator use.

Not working anywhere at the moment. Recovering from 3 crushed disks in my neck. Major surgery, major pain and a PITA.
The nice people I worked for, for 26 years terminated me after I got hurt on the job claiming "workforce reduction".
P.S. They only dream and wish I was that stupid.
I know the pain ,i had 2 disks go out on me,,They fused 5,,but it always hurts,,like a toothache,,even after 7 years,,i guess because of the screws or rods..I heard the neck heals pretty good in mosyt cases though..good luck
Old 08-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #1686
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
you also maybe able to cut some of the hex part off to. just make sure you dont cut to much off the side that goes on the socket. but hey thats what china sockets are for.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

yup. thats how it always goes. usually a cold one and a smoke gets my mind back on track.
Yup, I figure a good half inch to 3/4 cut off of it might suffice. Drivers side header is really close to all the plugs even while running 90 degree plug wires, I still had to run a thermal sleeve on the one wire because it was so close. Maybe I can talk the wifey into letting me get a pair of Mac gt40 long tube headers and h pipe for Christmas

I did the same thing a few times trying to bolt my h pipe back on my car after my 5 spd swap. Always have the one stud that screws out of my passenger side header and it's a pain to try and start by hand.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #1687
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
I don't have any probs changin my plugs

Here's a pic of my friends dakota im gunna smoke at the track lol..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120817_190326.png
Views:	68
Size:	862.5 KB
ID:	64306  
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #1688
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

its got some big nostrils! lol
Old 08-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #1689
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

I smoked a Dakota with my sickly aod at the track when I first went but I don't think it was a r/t....if it was it was slow as hell...street tires and all he would do a burnout each time

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #1690
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
Man, totally understand the hulk transformation. I remember feeling pretty pumped up working on stuff where the little things weren't little for some reason.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Harbor Freight!

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Quote:

Cool hood!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #1691
Road Trip!

harbor frieght FTW. there cheap air tools actually dont work half bad to.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #1692
Filibuster

Hell my maro buddy is getting a collapsable 2ton hoist from H/F for $99!.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #1693
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Ugh, I could spend the better part of a day just tooling around Harbor Freight.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #1694
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Cool. I will keep an eye on the plugs for sure.

What I meant about the sucker affecting the vacuum is. Since my gauge is hooked up to the intake makes my readings lower because off the now larger plenum volume. Where it is now actually vacuuming more at the carb but the gauge isn't seeing it because its in the intake. Because from what I understand the sucker should pull more vacuum. So with all that said should I hook my vacuum gauge to the carb?
Yes, if you wanted to see if the sucker moved more air you would have had to get a reading off the carb vacuum port before and after.
I'm sure it is enabling the carb to pass more air into the engine, but the larger plenum size will as you said possibly result in a lower actual intake vacuum.

Off topic: Sheesh! I'll be glad to get my PC running again. typing on this thing is wearing me slick.

Gained access to one HDD section today, backup file transfer has been running for over 6 hours for 355.4 GB of files. I really need to take the time and see how many of those I REALLY need to keep.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #1695
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yes, if you wanted to see if the sucker moved more air you would have had to get a reading off the carb vacuum port before and after.
I'm sure it is enabling the carb to pass more air into the engine, but the larger plenum size will as you said possibly result in a lower actual intake vacuum.

Off topic: Sheesh! I'll be glad to get my PC running again. typing on this thing is wearing me slick.

Gained access to one HDD section today, backup file transfer has been running for over 6 hours for 355.4 GB of files. I really need to take the time and see how many of those I REALLY need to keep.
Yeah 355 giggers is gonna take a while! And I wouldnt worry about the off topic. There's a lot of that going on.. Lol.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #1696
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah 355 giggers is gonna take a while! And I wouldnt worry about the off topic. There's a lot of that going on.. Lol.
So did I finally get on the same page as you and answer your questions ok?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #1697
Road Trip!

absolutley. i just like to fully understand everything, as im sure you know by now. but thats the fun part about it. thanx again

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

oh and i just ordered a patch kit and jet kit. and tomorow im gonna try to order my tubes. i gotta get this thing track worthy man. good wheather is gonna start disappearing before you know it. after i get these slicks mounted all i have left is seat belts.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #1698
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
absolutley. i just like to fully understand everything, as im sure you know by now. but thats the fun part about it. thanx again

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

oh and i just ordered a patch kit and jet kit. and tomorow im gonna try to order my tubes. i gotta get this thing track worthy man. good wheather is gonna start disappearing before you know it. after i get these slicks mounted all i have left is seat belts.
Check with some of the big time racers at your track. You can sometimes score a good set of racing harness belts for cheap if theirs are outdated. I figure the outdated stuff is better than factory f it isn't damaged or torn up. I get mine from my cuz'.

P.S. My cousin ran the Beretta the other day on a couple of shakedown debugging passes.
Not even full throttle, no nitrous or full 1/8 mile pass and he ran in the 5's at 130 something mph. BUT, he forgot the pin to hold on his chute assembly and when he popped them it ripped them off the car and tore up some stuff and his wing.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #1699
Road Trip!

Quote:

Check with some of the big time racers at your track. You can sometimes score a good set of racing harness belts for cheap if theirs are outdated. I figure the outdated stuff is better than factory f it isn't damaged or torn up. I get mine from my cuz'.

P.S. My cousin ran the Beretta the other day on a couple of shakedown debugging passes.
Not even full throttle, no nitrous or full 1/8 mile pass and he ran in the 5's at 130 something mph. BUT, he forgot the pin to hold on his chute assembly and when he popped them it ripped them off the car and tore up some stuff and his wing.
Wow. That's suprising fast being he didn't use his 700 worth of nitrous. I think He will meat his goal. Especially if he's still debugging. Don't forget we wanna see this beast.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #1700
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Wow. That's suprising fast being he didn't use his 700 worth of nitrous. I think He will meat his goal. Especially if he's still debugging. Don't forget we wanna see this beast.

It launched at a 1.30, but he says it will do it in the 1.10's once it is sorted out.
I got a new camera a while back, so next time I go out to his shop I will try to remember and take it to get some pics and maybe sounds if he has it to where it can be started. I **** you not you can FEEL it in your bones when it runs.
He's also supposed to find me the vid of the engine running in the mud truck.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #1701
Filibuster

Speaking of a/f ratio if ya'll have a chimney starter the best way to get the charcoal burnin fast is

#1 beer
#2....beer
#3 redneck ingenuity
#4 a fukin fan to turbo that mah fuka!..
#5 we grill reeeeal fast!! Haha
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120817_230540.png
Views:	73
Size:	662.4 KB
ID:	64327  
Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #1702
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Speaking of a/f ratio if ya'll have a chimney starter the best way to get the charcoal burnin fast is

#1 beer
#2....beer
#3 redneck ingenuity
Cool pic!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:30 PM   #1703
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post

#1 beer
#2....beer
#3 redneck ingenuity
I can see that the beer is the prime ingredient, just be careful an don't "charcoal" the burgers to badly.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #1704
Filibuster

Quote:

I can see that the beer is the prime ingredient, just be careful an don't "charcoal" the burgers to badly.
Brats, chicken, and some salmon burger thingies for my friends filipino wife haha..trust me though we know know how to grill ya'll!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #1705
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Brats, chicken, and some salmon burger thingies for my friends filipino wife haha..trust me though we know know how to grill ya'll!
YUM! Love the brats and chicken for sure. Enjoy my friend, hope you have a great time.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #1706
Road Trip!

Quote:

It launched at a 1.30, but he says it will do it in the 1.10's once it is sorted out.
I got a new camera a while back, so next time I go out to his shop I will try to remember and take it to get some pics and maybe sounds if he has it to where it can be started. I **** you not you can FEEL it in your bones when it runs.
He's also supposed to find me the vid of the engine running in the mud truck.
I bet. I can't wait to see it. Nothing gets my jollies off like high hp drag cars. Lol.

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

Quote:

#1 beer
#2....beer
#3 redneck ingenuity
^ lmao
Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #1707
Road Trip!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #1708
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
Sounds damn good, what cam are you running?

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #1709
Road Trip!

Quote:

Sounds damn good, what cam are you running?
Thanx man. It's a b303 with 1.72 roller rockers. Which puts it at .516 lift. Well somewhere around there.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #1710
Filibuster

Good news is we're one step closer!..bad news is according to a bunch of peps on the nastyz28 forum small block mounts work with the BB swap...bad news us there ain't no way in hell we can fit headers in there with these mounts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120818_194245.png
Views:	62
Size:	671.9 KB
ID:	64455   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120818_194333.png
Views:	54
Size:	587.4 KB
ID:	64456  

Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #1711
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

Thanx man. It's a b303 with 1.72 roller rockers. Which puts it at .516 lift. Well somewhere around there.
Nice, I shoulda bout that b cam last year when I was doing my intake and head swap

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Good news is we're one step closer!..bad news is according to a bunch of peps on the nastyz28 forum small block mounts work with the BB swap...bad news us there ain't no way in hell we can fit headers in there with these mounts.
As your doctor I would recommend a dose of BFH and a bud light drip STAT!

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 08-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #1712
Road Trip!

Quote:

Nice, I shoulda bout that b cam last year when I was doing my intake and head swap

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

is this a drag only car? if it is then i say go solid. they may help save some space. if not im sure there are some kind of mounts for this application as this definitly isnt the first time this has been done. but anyways good to see some more progress.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #1713
Filibuster

Quote:

Lol!..coronas on tap!.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120818_200332.png
Views:	76
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	64458  
Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #1714
Road Trip!

Quote:

Lol!..coronas on tap!.
my favorite! nice.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Quote:

Lol!..coronas on tap!.
my favorite tape measure. stanley fatmax. i love the whole fatmax line up.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #1715
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Man, that sounds great buddy!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT