What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 55 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #1891
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yes pre-drill and chamfer the holes in the rim on both sides.

No, standard sheet metal screws are not suitable, as they are considerably weaker than the screws intended for the purpose. However it's your choice.
Wheel Rim Screws

You should pre-drill the tire beads too so you don't "force" the screw through the bead possibly separating the layers of rubber, nylon and/or steel cords.

Set up a drill bit with a "stop" such as a layer of tape wrapped around the bit so you do not drill to deep.
got it. good info as always. i am a rookie in this area, so i just want to do it right. thanx again TH.

it just seemed a littke scary drilling into a tire thats aired up. im sure i will be fine though cause, i know my way around a drill.

those kits come with 35 screws. so im guessing 8 screws on each side of rim. or is it 17 on the outside? sorry for the dumb questions...,
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #1892
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
got it. good info as always. i am a rookie in this area, so i just want to do it right. thanx again TH.

it just seemed a littke scary drilling into a tire thats aired up. im sure i will be fine though cause, i know my way around a drill.

those kits come with 35 screws. so im guessing 8 screws on each side of rim. or is it 17 on the outside? sorry for the dumb questions...,
They're not dumb, that's how we all learn.

I would put 8 on each side of the rim.
Use the three leftover for spares if you need them.

P.S. Try to not drill all the way through the bead if you can help it and a bit of tire/tube cement on the screws will help them go in easier and help to seal them if need be.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #1893
Road Trip!

Quote:

They're not dumb, that's how we all learn.

I would put 8 on each side of the rim.
Use the three leftover for spares if you need them.

P.S. Try to not drill all the way through the bead if you can help it and a bit of tire/tube cement on the screws will help them go in easier and help to seal them if need be.
Drilling through the bead was what I was worried about. I have used the tape on the drill bit techinique a hundred times. I just wasn't sure how fast it would punch through the rubber. I would hate to drill through and hit the tube. Maybe I will use a piece of hose that barely slides over the bit to work as a stopper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #1894
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Drilling through the bead was what I was worried about. I have used the tape on the drill bit techinique a hundred times. I just wasn't sure how fast it would punch through the rubber. I would hate to drill through and hit the tube. Maybe I will use a piece of hose that barely slides over the bit to work as a stopper.
A piece of hose would definitely provide better stoppage and protection.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #1895
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Or maybe you could rig up a type of depth gauge like they have on rotary hammers.?..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #1896
Road Trip!

Cool. Thanx for all the advice trojan. Hopefully this week sometime I can make a jig to drill them with. Then get them mounted. I really want to get to the track soon. It's getting late in the season.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #1897
Filibuster

Something like this yo!..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hammer-drill-24058-2450743.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	65547  
Old 08-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #1898
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
My rims are aluminum.. not concrete. Lol. But yeah the stopper is cool.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #1899
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Cool. Thanx for all the advice trojan. Hopefully this week sometime I can make a jig to drill them with. Then get them mounted. I really want to get to the track soon. It's getting late in the season.
Yes it is getting late. But after all the heat, I'm ready for some coolness.
I think your idea of a 15" cardboard circle divided out 8 times will work just fine to mark the rims.
Might want to check the balance after you are done so you don't get any high speed tire shake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post

Gawd! I had hoped to never see one of those things again. I wore out a couple of them when we were installing new engines in the power plant I worked in.

But that is a good idea for a stopper.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #1900
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yes it is getting late. But after all the heat, I'm ready for some coolness.
I think your idea of a 15" cardboard circle divided out 8 times will work just fine to mark the rims.
Might want to check the balance after you are done so you don't get any high speed tire shake.

Gawd! I had hoped to never see one of those things again. I wore out a couple of them when we were installing new engines in the power plant I worked in.

But that is a good idea for a stopper.
yeah i absolutley hate summer! being a welder by trade makes it not so friendly season. full gear and long sleaves when it 95* working with hot stuff all day isnt the funnest thing in the world. im in my 4th fab shop now, and yet to find one with ac. but at least i finally found one with heat for the winter.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #1901
Road Trip!

I went ahead and ordered those rim screws to be safe.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #1902
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I see they are all 3/4" long. Are the wheels ~1/4" thick? Also, I wonder if the screws will have any kind of instructions?

I would have never thought that this is something they do to slicks, but it makes sense. It's cool watching slow-mo video of a top fuel dragster at launch and seeing what the slicks do. You never see them slipping on the wheel.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #1903
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
I see they are all 3/4" long. Are the wheels ~1/4" thick? Also, I wonder if the screws will have any kind of instructions?

I would have never thought that this is something they do to slicks, but it makes sense. It's cool watching slow-mo video of a top fuel dragster at launch and seeing what the slicks do. You never see them slipping on the wheel.
yeah the rim is around 1/4 but i didnt give it an exact measurment. but it should be perfect cause the sidewalls on the slicks are around 5/8" thick.

as for the top fuel fuel guys i love watching the wall crinkle to. whenever im watching any kind of videos like that im always showing my wife. "look at the tires!" lol i also enjoy watching them grow. they get so much taller when they are foing fast. but im pretty sure they are bead locks though.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #1904
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
yeah i absolutley hate summer! being a welder by trade makes it not so friendly season. full gear and long sleaves when it 95* working with hot stuff all day isnt the funnest thing in the world. im in my 4th fab shop now, and yet to find one with ac. but at least i finally found one with heat for the winter.
I have done that too when were were installing all the piping for the engines in the plant. Man, sweating in leather is miserable and smelly by the end of the day. Makes those beers at the end of the day taste great though.
P.S. Heat in the winter is a big plus, keeps you from having to weld something just to stay warm.

Running those generating engines in the summertime was killer too. Temperatures between the engines would reach 135-140 degrees with all the doors and windows open and two 6 foot exhaust fans running. I sure don't miss that I can tell you.

A/C in the shop, You need to move here and work a deal with my cousin Mike to open a fab shop with him in his shop. After years of working with me in the aforementioned plant and sweating in the evenings building race cars and engines, last year he said the hell with it and air conditioned his shop. He's my hero and bestus relative in the whole world!

Quote:
I went ahead and ordered those rim screws to be safe.
Good, I really think that's best and safest. Mike actually sheared off a set of 1/4" sheet metal screws on one of his old drag cars, therefore my reasoning to use only those screws meant for the purpose.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #1905
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

yeah the rim is around 1/4 but i didnt give it an exact measurment. but it should be perfect cause the sidewalls on the slicks are around 5/8" thick.

as for the top fuel fuel guys i love watching the wall crinkle to. whenever im watching any kind of videos like that im always showing my wife. "look at the tires!" lol i also enjoy watching them grow. they get so much taller when they are foing fast. but im pretty sure they are bead locks though.
Yes! It's insane how the tires do that. Is that because of the soft compound?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #1906
Road Trip!

yeah i also worked at an aluminum mill for about 5 years. and it always seemed like they wanted to do all the furnace work in the summer. it would be so blistering hot, a group of us welders would burn one rod each and then switch. you couldnt stay there long enough to burn more than one rod! we did these jobs called hot patches. and it would be when a part of the roof on a blast furnace would fall in. so they would shut down the furnace. and with it still being over 1000* we work on building a form for the repair refractory from the top of the furnace. well since heat rises this intense heat is pooring out of the area you are working on. boy that is one job i do not miss. or the boss either as he was a dick head!

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Quote:

Yes! It's insane how the tires do that. Is that because of the soft compound?
yeah, the combination of soft compound and 8000 hp! :drool:
Old 08-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #1907
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
yeah i also worked at an aluminum mill for about 5 years. and it always seemed like they wanted to do all the furnace work in the summer. it would be so blistering hot, a group of us welders would burn one rod each and then switch. you couldnt stay there long enough to burn more than one rod! we did these jobs called hot patches. and it would be when a part of the roof on a blast furnace would fall in. so they would shut down the furnace. and with it still being over 1000* we work on building a form for the repair refractory from the top of the furnace. well since heat rises this intense heat is pooring out of the area you are working on. boy that is one job i do not miss. or the boss either as he was a dick head!
I got an offer several years back to run the generating plant for an aluminum mill in Iowa.
If my children had been out of school then I would have taken it. It started out a $75k and had great bennies, but the timing just wasn't right.

I can't believe the idiot had you guys up there working on it in those conditions, that's just freaking insane. I bet if OSHA had caught wind of that they would have cooled his jets for him a bit. What was the name of that place, ********-R-Us?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #1908
Road Trip!

Quote:

I got an offer several years back to run the generating plant for an aluminum mill in Iowa.
If my children had been out of school then I would have taken it. It started out a $75k and had great bennies, but the timing just wasn't right.

I can't believe the idiot had you guys up there working on it in those conditions, that's just freaking insane. I bet if OSHA had caught wind of that they would have cooled his jets for him a bit. What was the name of that place, ********-R-Us?
haha. the downtime on that furnace was nearly 40k$ an hour. so not fixxing it was out of the question. it would take days to cool to a more comfortable working temperature. maybe only cools a couple hundred degrees in a day if that. we were fully equipted with all the ppe. just not the gear that made it not suck a$$! lol

really the gig wasnt to bad. it was a great resume builder for me. and i really stuck it to boss when i quit!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #1909
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
haha. the downtime on that furnace was nearly 40k$ an hour. so not fixxing it was out of the question. it would take days to cool to a more comfortable working temperature. maybe only cools a couple hundred degrees in a day if that. we were fully equipted with all the ppe. just not the gear that made it not suck a$$! lol

really the gig wasnt to bad. it was a great resume builder for me. and i really stuck it to boss when i quit!
Ok, you can't just say that without a description, give......
Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #1910
Road Trip!

haha. okay okay. well the mill had another plant. they use to force me to travel there. sometimes for months at a time. well i was the only person in our 20 man fab shop that ran the theodelite and optical level besides the boss.tools we used to align the rolling mills. well we got into it a few times previously about i will never advance anymore if i dont want to travel and blah blah blah. so on this hot out of town job....

i had all the equiptment in my car, and i never showed up. i got a job offer with bags in hand , walking out the door.so quick change of plans! muhahahah. i went that night and dropped the equiptment off and cleaned out my toolbox. he got stuck getting off his lazy a$$ and doing all the work. the plant manager and human resources lady tryed svaral times to get me back. but never!

about 2 years ago he offered me a leadman job. i told him okay. he said it was a hiring freeze but he would pull some strings. well he calls me back and says okay man i got you in. i said nahhh! lol lol stuck it to him again. lol
Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #1911
Filibuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
haha. okay okay. well the mill had another plant. they use to force me to travel there. sometimes for months at a time. well i was the only person in our 20 man fab shop that ran the theodelite and optical level besides the boss.tools we used to align the rolling mills. well we got into it a few times previously about i will never advance anymore if i dont want to travel and blah blah blah. so on this hot out of town job....

i had all the equiptment in my car, and i never showed up. i got a job offer with bags in hand , walking out the door.so quick change of plans! muhahahah. i went that night and dropped the equiptment off and cleaned out my toolbox. he got stuck getting off his lazy a$$ and doing all the work. the plant manager and human resources lady tryed svaral times to get me back. but never!

about 2 years ago he offered me a leadman job. i told him okay. he said it was a hiring freeze but he would pull some strings. well he calls me back and says okay man i got you in. i said nahhh! lol lol stuck it to him again. lol
Ha!..that awesome..JERK
ahh fuk dat guy!!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #1912
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post

Ha!..that awesome..JERK
ahh fuk dat guy!!
Yeah man, sucks being used by your boss. Glad he got it twice!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #1913
Road Trip!

He was the kinda boss, that you would be putting in 16 hours on a job and he would come in at the end of the day like "what the fuk you guys do all day" even though you were setting record breaking time. Fuk that guy.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #1914
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:

Payback, it sure feels good when it is your turn.
You probably prevented or at least encouraged him to NOT be such and *** to future employees anyways.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #1915
Road Trip!

Quote:

Payback, it sure feels good when it is your turn.
You probably prevented or at least encouraged him to NOT be such and *** to future employees anyways.
Yeah I heard I did. He was originally shop foreman/engineer. After I quit they hired a seperate foreman to run the fab shop and slowly pulled some of his rank. He still has some kind of say I have heard, but not like he used to. I also heard he got his a$$ reamed by the big dog.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #1916
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah I heard I did. He was originally shop foreman/engineer. After I quit they hired a seperate foreman to run the fab shop and slowly pulled some of his rank. He still has some kind of say I have heard, but not like he used to. I also heard he got his a$$ reamed by the big dog.
Good enough for him, he earned it.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #1917
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
This looks like a decent car for the price..

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3219095657.html

Great car for a local newbie.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #1918
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000
This looks like a decent car for the price..

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3219095657.html

Great car for a local newbie.
Looks pretty good.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #1919
Road Trip!

TH:Here's what the tramel layout looks like. I got my template made up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120829_112930.png
Views:	54
Size:	613.8 KB
ID:	66061  
Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #1920
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I'd have to change my britches after a trip down the 1/4 with that!

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Quote:
That should work great
Old 08-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #1921
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Quote:
I'd have to change my britches after a trip down the 1/4 with that!

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

That should work great
7.5's convert to around a high 11. In the quarter not bad for $3700

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Reminds me of pizza.. Yummm. Lunch time
Old 08-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #1922
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000

7.5's convert to around a high 11. In the quarter not bad for $3700

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Reminds me of pizza.. Yummm. Lunch time
Man.. now that you say that I prolly could have found a 16" pizza card board. Lol.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #1923
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
This explains everything!

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #1924
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX
Lmao.. I need some sylicone hoses lol
Old 08-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #1925
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
I need to get me one of them manual *** kickin buttons!

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT