What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 64 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #2206
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I no laughy. My mig is small to. If its thicker than 1/4 I use my 200 amp miller stick welder.

No not much recognition besides I get stuck welding every single set of girders... Yay... Not..lol

Creating stuff like we do at least is rewarding none the less. And cool to. Haha.

Anyways I also have some pics of some recent cranes I have done. The first 4 are a small dinky automated plc controlled thingy.
And the rest are an 80 ft long 25 ton overhead. I do all the fitting welding conduit work etc. I even do a little basic wiring sometimes like disconnector and gear boxes, but not the serious stuff unless someone makes me a cheat sheet. Lol
Yeah, it's rewarding and we get to experiment on their dime I suppose.
We never got anything either.

Those cranes are neat, I may need a small version to suspend me over my engine bay, since my neck doesn't bend much anymore.

I was taking classes on PLCs and touch control systems when the aholes fired me because of my injuries. Oh well, their loss, now they have no one to work on their new PLC controlled systems and will have to pay $100+ an hour for the repairman/programmer to drive from 8 hours away.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #2207
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post

Those cranes are neat, I may need a small version to suspend me over my engine bay, since my neck doesn't bend much anymore.

I was taking classes on PLCs and touch control systems when the aholes fired me because of my injuries. Oh well, their loss, now they have no one to work on their new PLC controlled systems and will have to pay $100+ an hour for the repairman/programmer to drive from 8 hours away.
That is too bad, for many reasons. But, having someone with machine operation experience that can program automation is a major benefit. Too bad they didn't see that.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #2208
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
That is too bad, for many reasons. But, having someone with machine operation experience that can program automation is a major benefit. Too bad they didn't see that.
Well they don't call this little town @sshole city for nothing. We have the largest concentration in the nation.
That's just a minute portion of all the different things I was doing for them.
GIS Mapping, DNR compliance and forms, helping other dept's with their reports and fabbing stuff for them..............etc., etc..
I also had several different plant government reports to fill out yearly. I just heard a few weeks ago they couldn't figure them out and were going to be fined because they were late.
Karma's working for me now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #2209
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post

Well they don't call this little town @sshole city for nothing. We have the largest concentration in the nation.
That's just a minute portion of all the different things I was doing for them.
GIS Mapping, DNR compliance and forms, helping other dept's with their reports and fabbing stuff for them..............etc., etc..
I also had several different plant government reports to fill out yearly. I just heard a few weeks ago they couldn't figure them out and were going to be fined because they were late.
Karma's working for me now.
Ha! Sometimes it comes back around.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #2210
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Well I guess I will have to build you a crane.

Have you seen those creepers that you lay on you belly over the engine bay? That may work good for you.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #2211
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Here's his latest run from wednsday night, his brother is driving the car. 4.10s, ram clutch, slicks, 4 cyl trans, stock cam, injectors, heads. Has some intake on it and full exhaust. Pretty amazing to see how fast it runs.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #2212
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX
Here's his latest run from wednsday night, his brother is driving the car. 4.10s, ram clutch, slicks, 4 cyl trans, stock cam, injectors, heads. Has some intake on it and full exhaust. Pretty amazing to see how fast it runs.

Very nice. With the 4cyl trans and 4.10s that first gear is probably almost pointless. Lol
Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #2213
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:

Whaaat in the what?!...12.8's! With basically gears and intake?!...call ripley cuz I don't fukin believe it lol
does he have weight reduction?..suspension??..warp drive??
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #2214
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post

Awesome!!! What was his 60ft times? I bet they kick butt.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #2215
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66

Whaaat in the what?!...12.8's! With basically gears and intake?!...call ripley cuz I don't fukin believe it lol
Unfortunately that trans isn't strong. But its geared pretty crazy. With his combo its probably similar to 4.30-4.56s
Old 09-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #2216
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:

No reduction, all factory interior, oh it might have drag shocks on it but still. Yes I've seen the car, heard it idling and it sounds like a plain Jane 5.0. Looks the part too.

Still has the factory oil pressure sensor hooked up lol. It was crazy to see 12.8 he was running 13.00 flat with 3.55s, I still stand here scratching my head wondering how in the eff he's running that fast. He does have frame ties and I think torque boxs welded also. Factory k member up front.

He basically used all the leftover parts his brother said weren't good enough for his and pretty much proved him wrong. His brother had a 351w car running 12.5 so now that his car is basically all stock runnin 12.8's I'd say that's pretty good.

Right now his bro is finishing up his new car with on3 performance turbo kit and tuning it at around 11 lbs. should be a beast

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #2217
Filibuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

Unfortunately that trans isn't strong. But its geared pretty crazy. With his combo its probably similar to 4.30-4.56s
Yeah they have the....wait for it.......tiny input shaft pfffffhehehe

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Quote:

No reduction, all factory interior, oh it might have drag shocks on it but still. Yes I've seen the car, heard it idling and it sounds like a plain Jane 5.0. Looks the part too.

Still has the factory oil pressure sensor hooked up lol. It was crazy to see 12.8 he was running 13.00 flat with 3.55s, I still stand here scratching my head wondering how in the eff he's running that fast. He does have frame ties and I think torque boxs welded also. Factory k member up front.

He basically used all the leftover parts his brother said weren't good enough for his and pretty much proved him wrong. His brother had a 351w car running 12.5 so now that his car is basically all stock runnin 12.8's I'd say that's pretty good.

Right now his bro is finishing up his new car with on3 performance turbo kit and tuning it at around 11 lbs. should be a beast
Just all the more reason to love these old 5.0's
Old 09-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #2218
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well I guess I will have to build you a crane.

Have you seen those creepers that you lay on you belly over the engine bay? That may work good for you.
Yes, I may have to get one of those, it would probably help. The issue is that my neck no longer moves very far in any direction. To far up or down quickly brings on severe headaches. A while back I almost blacked out just taking a shower, when I bent over to wash my lower legs and feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post

Nice runs, great traction control. There are stock, albeit "tweaked" Mustangs running 10's out there too. I think one of the guys at MM&FF mag has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Yeah they have the....wait for it.......tiny input shaft pfffffhehehe

That's what she said!
Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #2219
Road Trip!

I used my lunch time and made some progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120908_114220.png
Views:	52
Size:	564.1 KB
ID:	67718   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120908_114235.png
Views:	59
Size:	500.0 KB
ID:	67719  

Old 09-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #2220
Road Trip!
Supporter

Nice job!

Log all the measurements and dimensions, you may get lots of orders after it's done.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I read somewhere a while back that the fill/check plug should actually be 1" higher than the factory put it.
May want to check that out before you drill and weld for it.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #2221
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Good work dream! TH is right, there will be orders.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #2222
Road Trip!

Thanx guys. But this bad boy is gonna stay one of a kind. lol
Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #2223
Filibuster

Quote:
Ooooo purrrdy
Old 09-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #2224
Road Trip!

Quote:
Nice job!

Log all the measurements and dimensions, you may get lots of orders after it's done.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I read somewhere a while back that the fill/check plug should actually be 1" higher than the factory put it.
May want to check that out before you drill and weld for it.
Why would the drain plug need to be higher? Is that just a safe measure incase its not properly located?

Also I'm thinking 1/2 npt should be sufficient for a fill and drain plug? That should be big enough to fit the end of a bottle in.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #2225
Filibuster

WWii days at a park just down the street from my apt. they had weapons demonstrations, a recreation battle, allied and axis camps ect ect.
most of the vehicles were original or authentically restored. Oh and a bunker bar
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120908_134107.png
Views:	52
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	67738   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120908_134207.png
Views:	49
Size:	826.8 KB
ID:	67739  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120908_134251.png
Views:	40
Size:	1,003.2 KB
ID:	67740   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120908_134439.png
Views:	41
Size:	786.1 KB
ID:	67741  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120908_134517.png
Views:	46
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	67743  
Old 09-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #2226
Road Trip!

Quote:
WWii days at a park just down the street from my apt. they had weapons demonstrations, a recreation battle, allied and axis camps ect ect.
most of the vehicles were original or authentically restored. Oh and a bunker bar
im betting you spent alot of time at the bunker bar.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #2227
Filibuster

Quote:

im betting you spent alot of time at the bunker bar.
Whaaa me?..nooooo..it opened at noon so I only had two lol..
Old 09-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #2228
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Why would the drain plug need to be higher? Is that just a safe measure incase its not properly located?

Also I'm thinking 1/2 npt should be sufficient for a fill and drain plug? That should be big enough to fit the end of a bottle in.
I honestly don't remember what I read about it.
I think I ran across it looking up those photos you posted a while back, but darned if I can find it now.

Yeah 1/2" pipe should be plenty big enough.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #2229
Road Trip!

Quote:

I honestly don't remember what I read about it.

Yeah 1/2" pipe should be plenty big enough.
cool. i will do some googling. im not gonna add the holes probably until i get the main body weldered up.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

oh yeah. i peeked at those flowmaster videos. makes you kinda wonder how a flow test really compares to real world? i mean i can see a high cfm muffler flowing well. but does that give it a good scavenging affect? i would ease my mind if i seen some good dyno results. and not being an suv muffler compared to a race magna flow. lol
Old 09-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #2230
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
cool. i will do some googling. im not gonna add the holes probably until i get the main body weldered up.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

oh yeah. i peeked at those flowmaster videos. makes you kinda wonder how a flow test really compares to real world? i mean i can see a high cfm muffler flowing well. but does that give it a good scavenging affect? i would ease my mind if i seen some good dyno results. and not being an suv muffler compared to a race magna flow. lol
I found it! At least I know I wasn't imagining it now.

Quote:
This Differential cover is a 1 piece Plate steel cap 3/8" (.375") thick bent 8 ways then welded to a 1/2" ring. The fill plug is a generous 3/4" ID for easy fill and oil level check, it is located 1" above where the factory "Should" have put it in a stock vehicle to account for Pinion adjustment.
From here - Ford 8.8" 3/8" Differential Cover - RuffStuff Specialties

Yeah, there are so many variables to consider that I now think my Choice of Dynomax may not have been as good an idea as I first thought. At this point I don't know what to think just yet.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #2231
Road Trip!

Quote:

I found it! At least I know I wasn't imagining it now.

From here - Ford 8.8" 3/8" Differential Cover - RuffStuff Specialties

Yeah, there are so many variables to consider that I now think my Choice of Dynomax may not have been as good an idea as I first thought. At this point I don't know what to think just yet.
ahhh.. to acount for pinion adjustment. also may not be a bad idea for when hard launching either.

the other day when googling about mufflers. i did see a thread somewhere that showed dyno results. it just didnt have the better flowmaster mufflers. i dont remember what series it used though. but anyways i believe the dynomax ultraflow was either the top, or one of the tops. so i still believe that its one of the best hp makers on the market.

my big issue, is the flowmaster not flowing theory seems to be one of those internet myths. there arent to many real facts to back it up. especially havent found anything on the 10 series, which is what i use. it reminds me alot of the internet backpressure talk. i am by no means saying that flowmaster is the best way to go. just would like to see someone that actually had some facts.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

also i know there is alot more to it than this. but i have a strong belief that the sound of a muffler accounts for something. for instance if the muffler is louder, that is because more exhaust is coming out of it. the 10 series have a sound that is similar to that of straight pipes, except has a little better tone. if the sound is that close to the sound of not even having a muffler, it cant be to restritive. now these theorys arent taking into account scavenging and echoes etc etc. but i still believe that sound means something.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #2232
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
ahhh.. to acount for pinion adjustment. also may not be a bad idea for when hard launching either.

the other day when googling about mufflers. i did see a thread somewhere that showed dyno results. it just didnt have the better flowmaster mufflers. i dont remember what series it used though. but anyways i believe the dynomax ultraflow was either the top, or one of the tops. so i still believe that its one of the best hp makers on the market.

my big issue, is the flowmaster not flowing theory seems to be one of those internet myths. there arent to many real facts to back it up. especially havent found anything on the 10 series, which is what i use. it reminds me alot of the internet backpressure talk. i am by no means saying that flowmaster is the best way to go. just would like to see someone that actually had some facts.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

also i know there is alot more to it than this. but i have a strong belief that the sound of a muffler accounts for something. for instance if the muffler is louder, that is because more exhaust is coming out of it. the 10 series have a sound that is similar to that of straight pipes, except has a little better tone. if the sound is that close to the sound of not even having a muffler, it cant be to restritive. now these theorys arent taking into account scavenging and echoes etc etc. but i still believe that sound means something.
Like Flowmaster says there is a lot more to consider than just how much room temperature air will pass through one. I'm sure the thermal dynamics, acoustics, temperature and a few more things will make a huge difference.

To me the sound is a huge part of why I buy a muffler. That's why I first went with Flowmasters years ago. The Dynomax I also chose because of its sound and advertised flow capabilities.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #2233
Road Trip!

Quote:

Like Flowmaster says there is a lot more to consider than just how much room temperature air will pass through one. I'm sure the thermal dynamics, acoustics, temperature and a few more things will make a huge difference.

To me the sound is a huge part of why I buy a muffler. That's why I first went with Flowmasters years ago. The Dynomax I also chose because of its sound and advertised flow capabilities.
yuppers. flowmaster just has the classic muscle car sound.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #2234
Road Trip!
Supporter

Cousin Mike's Beretta, test and tune almost crash.

Trans line blew apart and oiled the rear tires.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #2235
Road Trip!

Quote:

<a href="

it reminds me of a prostock car. sound and looks.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #2236
Filibuster

Quote:

<a href="
Old 09-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #2237
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
i bet that was a scary ride.

it reminds me of a prostock car. sound and looks.
Yeah, I just got off the phone with him a little while ago, he said it scared him a bit, because unlike his mud truck he couldn't just power out of the slide as there wasn't enough room in the lane. Otherwise the crazy nut would have nailed it again and spun it around or straightened it out.
He's really pissed at Speedway right now because of their braided hose and fitting failure. Cost him the trip to the track, entry fees and trip home for nothing.

I forget the class it's built for but seems like it's Pro something, maybe Sportsman.
Once he gets it sorted out, it will probably be faster than the Pro Stockers.
He's not limited by cubes in his class and he will run a boatload of nitrous through it to boot.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #2238
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Weeeee!!!...good thing he kept it outa the wall!.
Yeah, if it had not happened right when it did and he had more speed it probably would have hit the wall. Kinda made my butt pucker and I was just watching it on the vid.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #2239
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yeah, I just got off the phone with him a little while ago, he said it scared him a bit, because unlike his mud truck he couldn't just power out of the slide as there wasn't enough room in the lane. Otherwise the crazy nut would have nailed it again and spun it around or straightened it out.
He's really pissed at Speedway right now because of their braided hose and fitting failure. Cost him the trip to the track, entry fees and trip home for nothing.

I forget the class it's built for but seems like it's Pro something, maybe Sportsman.
Once he gets it sorted out, it will probably be faster than the Pro Stockers.
He's not limited by cubes in his class and he will run a boatload of nitrous through it to boot.
sportsman sounds right. if he can nail 3 second 1/8 ths then he should definitly be faste than a pro stock. he is close to the power without nitrous.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #2240
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
sportsman sounds right. if he can nail 3 second 1/8 ths then he should definitly be faste than a pro stock. he is close to the power without nitrous.
Yeah, he has yet to make a full throttle, full nitrous pass and it has gone a 4.51, so it will be quick once he's done getting the bugs out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT