What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 7 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #211
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Getting there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120218_230354.png
Views:	145
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	41090  
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #212
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Getting there
Alright!
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #213
Road Trip!

Calling it a night.painted the accessory brackets
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120219_022543.png
Views:	179
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	41116   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120219_022610.png
Views:	118
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	41117  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #214
Road Trip!

More pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120219_024823.png
Views:	125
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	41118   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120219_024852.png
Views:	223
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	41119  

Old 02-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #215
Road Trip!
Supporter

Nice!

I envy you, I sure wish I was able to work on mine.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #216
Road Trip!

I wasn't trying to rub it in. one day youll be able to.

I just wish I could have fired up last night.there was so much left to do and my back was killing me.I still have to ,lubricate valvetrain,New oil,valve covers, alt and ps pump,fuel lines and reg, carb linkage, then I get to tune it.its all down hill from here.it prob won't take me that long but I just couldn't get her done last night. I'm gonna blame work for making me come in. Lol

I highly recommended the Duplin- colore engine enamel. It comes out of the can a little funny, but the end result is great.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #217
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I wasn't trying to rub it in. one day youll be able to.

I just wish I could have fired up last night.there was so much left to do and my back was killing me.I still have to ,lubricate valvetrain,New oil,valve covers, alt and ps pump,fuel lines and reg, carb linkage, then I get to tune it.its all down hill from here.it prob won't take me that long but I just couldn't get her done last night. I'm gonna blame work for making me come in. Lol

I highly recommended the Duplin- colore engine enamel. It comes out of the can a little funny, but the end result is great.
I know you were not rubbing it in.
Sounds like you are getting close.
Blaming work, works.

If you are using the Dupli-Color cans with the fan spray nozzles, I've found them to be defective at times. Since I usually have a can or two around I just swap out the spray head or the little nozzle itself when I get one that sprays funny.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #218
Road Trip!

Yeah I guess I could have tried swapping them.both the primer and the paint sprayed the same so I guess I just figured it was the paint.at least the end result was good.
U know how when the nozzle of a can gets dirty u can sometimes turn it upside down and it will sorta clean the nozzle?well i tried that trick and the crazy straight jet coming out of the can seemed to mellow down.so basically I sprayed with the can leaning(but not all the way upside down).and I had to stay extra far away.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #219
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah I guess I could have tried swapping them.both the primer and the paint sprayed the same so I guess I just figured it was the paint.at least the end result was good.
U know how when the nozzle of a can gets dirty u can sometimes turn it upside down and it will sorta clean the nozzle?well i tried that trick and the crazy straight jet coming out of the can seemed to mellow down.so basically I sprayed with the can leaning(but not all the way upside down).and I had to stay extra far away.
You can also clean the nozzles if they are plugged with some carb cleaner.
Just take them off and using the little red tube on the carb cleaner, place it over the spray hole and flush them out backwards.
As I'm sure you know the fit is haphazard at best, so be careful not to get it in your eyes.
Doesn't usually take more than one incidence of that happening to convince you to never do it again.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #220
Road Trip!

Well,got her running.still need to clean a few things up under the hood.I didn't get a chance to make a video yet.but she started up on the first try.it runs great.the throttle response is ridiculous! I can already tell it is gonna be pretty nasty compared to before without even driving it.

I got the timing at 15*I may try to get to 17*.I've heard that's the sweet spot with these heads.I am running 93 in it.

I do have a header leak I need to attend to.

Here is a pic.but I will get a better one and a vid in a week or so when I get everything cleaned up and fix the header.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120220_223041.png
Views:	134
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	41300  
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #221
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well,got her running.still need to clean a few things up under the hood.I didn't get a chance to make a video yet.but she started up on the first try.it runs great.the throttle response is ridiculous! I can already tell it is gonna be pretty nasty compared to before without even driving it.

I got the timing at 15*I may try to get to 17*.I've heard that's the sweet spot with these heads.I am running 93 in it.

I do have a header leak I need to attend to.

Here is a pic.but I will get a better one and a vid in a week or so when I get everything cleaned up and fix the header.
Aluminum heads and higher octane fuel will allow for more advance. Go for it!
Note: It will run better, but dirtier too if smog testing is an issue.

Good heads make a world of difference on 5.0 & 5.8 engines. The factory heads just choke them to death. Can't wait to hear it run.

Looks great!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #222
Road Trip!

i appreciate your help big time.i may take it easy on it for a few days.my backs killing me from leaning over the hood and my wife may want some time with me also.lol.when i get back at it i will clean up wiring hook up gauges and all that good stuff.now im dying to see what the 10s sound like on there.

im def gonna try to go 17. right now i am getting no popping,backfiring, or anything.i didnt want to push it to much on first fire up.but ill get it

thanx
Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #223
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
i appreciate your help big time.i may take it easy on it for a few days.my backs killing me from leaning over the hood and my wife may want some time with me also.lol.when i get back at it i will clean up wiring hook up gauges and all that good stuff.now im dying to see what the 10s sound like on there.

im def gonna try to go 17. right now i am getting no popping,backfiring, or anything.i didnt want to push it to much on first fire up.but ill get it

thanx
Definitely do not forget the quality time with the wife.
I have problems with my back too, I found that using a large square of foam (that I cut out of an old baby bed mattress) to lean on when working on the car helps a lot.

Those 10's will be loud.
Just out of curiosity, if you have time and feel like it, maybe try the 10's installed backwards.
I saw on a video how they are made with twin inverted V sections, with the exhaust meant to be blown into the open end of the V's. I just wonder what it will sound and flow like if they are turned around and let the flow be split by the V sections instead.

Just listen close and "feel" for any detonation when advancing your timing. I don't exactly know how to describe the "feel" part for you, but I can feel through the steering wheel and pedals how well my car is performing and I can notice any odd noises or vibrations that are not normal to it. Try lugging the engine down some (Example: Going up a hill in a gear that is a bit too high for it.) once you have advanced the timing to where you think you want it. If it does not detonate, spark knock or ping then, you should be safe.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #224
Road Trip!

oh hey i forgot to tell you that i did not index the plugs.i know it would have been a small gain but i was still going to do it.the reason i didnt was i read that it is pretty much worthless on these particular heads because of there spark plug angle and combustion chamber design.i just thought i would tell u that for future refernce.

also i made my next summit order which consists of : new fuel inline fuel gauge,fuel filter,spark plug booties,plastic conduit. i know this order isnt as exciting as the last but it was needed stuff.lol
Old 02-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #225
Road Trip!

so for the first time i actually pulled the numbers off my dizzy.motorcraft e4ze-12131-aa. and from doing a little research it seams to be an efi dizzy. it runs great and always has.all it has is the one big plug that goes to the module.is this right? do i need a new distributor?there is no where else to plug in a vacuum or other plug into.is there any way that previous owner modified it to work on a carb?i just never really checked it and assumed it was sometype of centrifugal advance or something .but now i just dont know.but like i said it runs great.

what i need to do is check the advance on the timing light.the only problem is my light broke the other day.ill have to burrow one.no biggy though.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #226
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
so for the first time i actually pulled the numbers off my dizzy.motorcraft e4ze-12131-aa. and from doing a little research it seams to be an efi dizzy. it runs great and always has.all it has is the one big plug that goes to the module.is this right? do i need a new distributor?there is no where else to plug in a vacuum or other plug into.is there any way that previous owner modified it to work on a carb?i just never really checked it and assumed it was sometype of centrifugal advance or something .but now i just dont know.but like i said it runs great.

what i need to do is check the advance on the timing light.the only problem is my light broke the other day.ill have to burrow one.no biggy though.
Well the E4 signifies that it is an 84 model housing at least.
As to the internals and how it handles advance, it either works through a computer or an aftermarket ignition box or it doesn't work at all and you are getting no timing advance.

You may be able to pick up a good bit of horsepower by changing it out for an MSD unit that has either centrifugal or vacuum advance features, and that works with the MSD box you have. I would ask MSD which distributor would be best for your combination.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #227
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Well the E4 signifies that it is an 84 model housing at least.
As to the internals and how it handles advance, it either works through a computer or an aftermarket ignition box or it doesn't work at all and you are getting no timing advance.

You may be able to pick up a good bit of horsepower by changing it out for an MSD unit that has either centrifugal or vacuum advance features, and that works with the MSD box you have. I would ask MSD which distributor would be best for your combination.
Ok thanx.I will check into that when the $ comes back around.
As long as its advancing properly now then its not as much a necessity as a good idea?
Just wondering cause if I always had plans for the msd dizzy but not right away.if its advancing now then I will still get it but wait longer.if its not advancing then its moving high up on the list.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #228
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok thanx.I will check into that when the $ comes back around.
As long as its advancing properly now then its not as much a necessity as a good idea?
Just wondering cause if I always had plans for the msd dizzy but not right away.if its advancing now then I will still get it but wait longer.if its not advancing then its moving high up on the list.
Yes, if it is advancing now then you are ok.
You can check by connecting a timing light and slowly revving the engine to see if it advances as the RPM's build.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #229
Road Trip!

So my header leak wasn't actually a header leak.the heads came with 2 plugs that u put in the heads for the pollution pipe.well they were suppose to come with 4.for front and back.I just assumed the 2 go in the back like you normally would with the 5/8 short bolt.I was wrong.at least that's an easier fix than messing with the headers.except now I have to wait for the plugs.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Also do they make some kind of adjustable throttle cable bracket? My bracket that came off my offy doesn't work.I may just see if I can modify or fab one up unless they are real cheap.hmm..
Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #230
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
So my header leak wasn't actually a header leak.the heads came with 2 plugs that u put in the heads for the pollution pipe.well they were suppose to come with 4.for front and back.I just assumed the 2 go in the back like you normally would with the 5/8 short bolt.I was wrong.at least that's an easier fix than messing with the headers.except now I have to wait for the plugs.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Also do they make some kind of adjustable throttle cable bracket? My bracket that came off my offy doesn't work.I may just see if I can modify or fab one up unless they are real cheap.hmm..
I suppose that's so they don't have to specify a right and left head most likely.
I just hate it when you buy something and it isn't complete out of the box.

They used to make adjustable throttle cable brackets. Look on Jegs and Summit websites.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #231
Road Trip!

yeah thats what i was thinking(for left and right).ive been looking and its hard to tell if anything i see will work.i think i will modify the one i got to fit.the hole center on the base is off and need trimmed.then the part that holds the cable needs made closer to the linkage.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #232
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
yeah thats what i was thinking(for left and right).ive been looking and its hard to tell if anything i see will work.i think i will modify the one i got to fit.the hole center on the base is off and need trimmed.then the part that holds the cable needs made closer to the linkage.
The ability to fabricate and adapt are two of a hot rodders most useful abilities.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #233
Road Trip!

Should work now.I welded a new base in it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120228_092830.png
Views:	111
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	42006  
Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #234
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Should work now.I welded a new base in it
That's what I'm talking about.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #235
Road Trip!

Ok so I called trickflow to inform them I was missing the plugs that summit and American muscle said I was missing.they said that they only come with 2 plugs not 4.they said they can't legaly give you the other plugs because emmision laws,blah blah.so I opened the directions that came with the heads and it clearly states "if you decide to use the plugs place them in the BACK of the heads at this time". What the hell am I suppose to do in the front of the head.besides by two more plugs for 20$ and delay my project 2 days.if I would have known both sides of the head leaked I would have put the supplied 2 in the front and used a FREE 5/8 short bolt like we always do in the back.I have a decent bolt bin in my garage , but now I'm forced to fork up another 20$ because of poor instructions.
End of rant
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #236
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok so I called trickflow to inform them I was missing the plugs that summit and American muscle said I was missing.they said that they only come with 2 plugs not 4.they said they can't legaly give you the other plugs because emmision laws,blah blah.so I opened the directions that came with the heads and it clearly states "if you decide to use the plugs place them in the BACK of the heads at this time". What the hell am I suppose to do in the front of the head.besides by two more plugs for 20$ and delay my project 2 days.if I would have known both sides of the head leaked I would have put the supplied 2 in the front and used a FREE 5/8 short bolt like we always do in the back.I have a decent bolt bin in my garage , but now I'm forced to fork up another 20$ because of poor instructions.
End of rant
Look up the new guy from Trick Flow, that's been on here a couple of times and give him hell about it. I think his name starts with Ed.
Or call them back and tell them your 2 plugs were missing if that's how they want to play the game.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #237
Road Trip!

yes i talked to that guy last week.i told him i wasnt impressed with the tiny sticker that came with my purchase.he said he was gonna send me some big decals at no cost.so he seems like a good dude.i already purchased the plugs from summit.and im not worried that much about the 20$ as much as principle.the instruction told me to put them in the back while i didnt know that both sides need plugged.really what they sent me is correct if im using smog.but i just think they need to revise the directions.
anyways i totally would have used your tactic if i didnt already order them.also the reason AM and summit told me there should be 4 plugs is just cause it sounded logical and they didnt know better.they dont package those kits.oh well in the future i will make sure i warn anyone to use the plugs in the front and 5/8 short bolts in the back or purchase more plugs when they order.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #238
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
yes i talked to that guy last week.i told him i wasnt impressed with the tiny sticker that came with my purchase.he said he was gonna send me some big decals at no cost.so he seems like a good dude.i already purchased the plugs from summit.and im not worried that much about the 20$ as much as principle.the instruction told me to put them in the back while i didnt know that both sides need plugged.really what they sent me is correct if im using smog.but i just think they need to revise the directions.
anyways i totally would have used your tactic if i didnt already order them.also the reason AM and summit told me there should be 4 plugs is just cause it sounded logical and they didnt know better.they dont package those kits.oh well in the future i will make sure i warn anyone to use the plugs in the front and 5/8 short bolts in the back or purchase more plugs when they order.
I agree that $20 isn't much, but I'm way to old school to believe 2-plugs are worth that kind of money....unless they are gold plated?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #239
Road Trip!

right i dont either.they are pretty much like helicoils.the inside is threaded also.the accerory bolts will bolt inside the plug so its kind of a necessity.matter of fact that was one of the clues it wasnt a header leak.
they have a slot across them to use a large screw driver on is why i cant take them off the back to put on the front . theres not enough room to get a very large flathead in the back.then my next thought was to use a piece of threaded rod and cut a slot on the end so i can get it in flush and be able to tighten it.but then i would still be missing my accesory bolt. that left me to the choice of buying the "threaded insert".
Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #240
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
right i dont either.they are pretty much like helicoils.the inside is threaded also.the accerory bolts will bolt inside the plug so its kind of a necessity.matter of fact that was one of the clues it wasnt a header leak.
they have a slot across them to use a large screw driver on is why i cant take them off the back to put on the front . theres not enough room to get a very large flathead in the back.then my next thought was to use a piece of threaded rod and cut a slot on the end so i can get it in flush and be able to tighten it.but then i would still be missing my accesory bolt. that left me to the choice of buying the "threaded insert".
If we knew the thread sizes I bet we could have found those on McMaster-Carr and saved you a bit of money. They are good about next day delivery too, if you ever need anything from them.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #241
Road Trip!

Yeah I didn't think about them.oops
I will be happy when I get to take her for a spin though.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #242
Road Trip!

so ups came today when i wasnt home.my 13 year old step daughter was home sick from school and didnt here the truck.so because no one signed for it they didnt leave it.she wasnt old enough to sign anyways.this was at 1:00 ish.they left a note saying that no one signed for it so that cant leave it and that they would be back between 2-5:00.here we are at 8:00 and no plugs.arrghhhh.i have made at least 20 f*** ing orders from summit in the last couple years and never signed for one,including the 1300$ order recently.my step daughters tv that got sent in for warranty got left outside recently.but some 5/8 helicoils need signed for.come on ups or summit or whoever the hell.it was unseasonably warm today and was gonna be a perfect day for a test drive.and its supposed to get real cold tonight and then snow. needless to say i am pissd off.

i got home from work took off my accesorys.and bolted on my throttle cable bracket,that work perfect btw.i was all ready to go.i did all that and was just waiting on the damn truck that never showed up,sometimes it just seems like i cant win.just hopefully it dosnt snow enough to stick and drys up before i get home tomorow.sorry to ramble on again but just wanted to share my bad luck.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #243
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
so ups came today when i wasnt home.my 13 year old step daughter was home sick from school and didnt here the truck.so because no one signed for it they didnt leave it.she wasnt old enough to sign anyways.this was at 1:00 ish.they left a note saying that no one signed for it so that cant leave it and that they would be back between 2-5:00.here we are at 8:00 and no plugs.arrghhhh.i have made at least 20 f*** ing orders from summit in the last couple years and never signed for one,including the 1300$ order recently.my step daughters tv that got sent in for warranty got left outside recently.but some 5/8 helicoils need signed for.come on ups or summit or whoever the hell.it was unseasonably warm today and was gonna be a perfect day for a test drive.and its supposed to get real cold tonight and then snow. needless to say i am pissd off.

i got home from work took off my accesorys.and bolted on my throttle cable bracket,that work perfect btw.i was all ready to go.i did all that and was just waiting on the damn truck that never showed up,sometimes it just seems like i cant win.just hopefully it dosnt snow enough to stick and drys up before i get home tomorow.sorry to ramble on again but just wanted to share my bad luck.
That happens on occasion with shipping delivery companies.
They get drivers dropping off packages just anywhere without a signature, then the package gets stolen or claimed that it never arrived and they get on a kick about getting them signed for again. PITA for us, thank the crooks and thieves for that.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #244
Road Trip!

Well got my parts today.got to finally take it for a spin.it was a very short super beast mode.lol.I can tell its running like a champ.after about 2 minutes into the drive my belt started squelling like crazy.its a little to long.I was hoping it would work but didn't.so now I have to get a belt. Damn murphys law.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #245
Road Trip!

so i did have it running long enough to put a timing light on to see if its advancing.i didnt look at the tac or anything but i goosed it a little bit,maybe 3000-3500 and it looks like its actually retarding a couple of degrees.wouldnt it run like crap in the high rpms?because it doesnt. so this got me thinking.i wonder if the btm is actually retarding just a little bit by default,or maybe when i had the knob on it was cranked all the way up(which it was when i tested it with copressed air) which is just enough to let it ****** since there is no vacuum holding it when the boost is not there.hmmm....

any thoughts besides the obvious i need a msd dizzy?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT