What it takes for forced induction and much more... - Page 8 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #246
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: what it takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
so i did have it running long enough to put a timing light on to see if its advancing.i didnt look at the tac or anything but i goosed it a little bit,maybe 3000-3500 and it looks like its actually retarding a couple of degrees.wouldnt it run like crap in the high rpms?because it doesnt. so this got me thinking.i wonder if the btm is actually retarding just a little bit by default,or maybe when i had the knob on it was cranked all the way up(which it was when i tested it with copressed air) which is just enough to let it ****** since there is no vacuum holding it when the boost is not there.hmmm....

any thoughts besides the obvious i need a msd dizzy?
Ole' Murphy always pops up when you're having fun.

Yeah, it would run crappy if it's retarding much at higher RPMs.
The more initial advance you have the lesser that effect would be though.

The BTM may be retarding it a bit.
Can you completely disconnect or disable that aspect of the box to check?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #247
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
i dont think so.i may hook the knob up and fiddle with it a bit and see if i get a change.and then unhook it again.when i had that box repaired msd had told me that if anyone opens the box ever they will not touch/repair it.so i wouldnt want to try any type of bypassing.all those components are internal,except the knob which is basically a resistor.

but thats what throws me off.is that it runs so good.i can take the rpms up above 4 k and let off ,then on the way back down goose it again and it responds flawlessly.alot of times when the tune is off a hair on a carb setup and you do this it will stumble or spit a bit.but a msd dizzy will be my next purchase anyways to be sure.also when i had the light on there it was at the time my belt was slipping and squelling.since i was not charging good that may have thrown of my test a bit.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #248
Road Trip!
Supporter

No I definitely wouldn't take it apart.I thought they might have included a way to disable that function externally.

Is your ECU for a manual or an automatic?
I'm not sure what triggers them but some auto trans ECU's will pull out timing right before a shift. If they are triggered by RPM and you have an auto ECU that might be what you are seeing and why it doesn't seem to affect your engine otherwise.
Grasping at straws here so don't take anything to literally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #249
Road Trip!

I'm not sure what ecu is in there but its pretty much disabled with the carb setup.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Which is why I am questioning how my dizzy advances.I'm not sure what the previous owner put in .and what dizzy is right for a carb setup.I've read articles before on the conversion and i think it requires different dizzy.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #250
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I'm not sure what ecu is in there but its pretty much disabled with the carb setup.
Hahaha! I knew that.
I must be getting tired.

But, if it is still in place, connected and you are using the EFI distributor.....?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #251
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Hahaha! I knew that.
I must be getting tired.

But, if it is still in place, connected and you are using the EFI distributor.....?
I pulled the numbers off of it and I had mixed results.I came up with it being efi.but the casting numbers say its from an 84.

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Yeah I figured you knew that.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Oh theres no spout connector hooked to it.tomorrow ill snap a pic.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #252
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I pulled the numbers off of it and I had mixed results.I came up with it being efi.but the casting numbers say its from an 84.

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Yeah I figured you knew that.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Oh theres no spout connector hooked to it.tomorrow ill snap a pic.
No spout, then there is no computer control, so that theory is busted.
Is the distributor advance controlled by weights or vacuum then?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #253
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Jumping in here, but sounds like to me your losing vacuum in the higher RPM's. Possibly a leak somewhere? Maybe a split in the side of a vacuum line?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #254
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Jumping in here, but sounds like to me your losing vacuum in the higher RPM's. Possibly a leak somewhere? Maybe a split in the side of a vacuum line?
His car is converted to carb and it appears from a test he did that it is retarding the timing a bit. We are trying to figure out what is controlling the timing advance if he does not have an EFI controlled distributor and computer.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #255
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

His car is converted to carb and it appears from a test he did that it is retarding the timing a bit. We are trying to figure out what is controlling the timing advance if he does not have an EFI controlled distributor and computer.
Then nothing is controlling it. If it were staying at let's say 10* then start revving the engine and the timing didn't advance as the RPM's built, wouldn't it look like it was retarding with the light on it? Had a carb on my 87, but I also had a vacuum advance dist as well. I don't understand how its been drivable up till now w/o a vacuum dist or the ECU controlling it.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #256
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Then nothing is controlling it. If it were staying at let's say 10* then start revving the engine and the timing didn't advance as the RPM's built, wouldn't it look like it was retarding with the light on it? Had a carb on my 87, but I also had a vacuum advance dist as well. I don't understand how its been drivable up till now w/o a vacuum dist or the ECU controlling it.
No it shouldn't look like it was retarding with the light on it.
If it is locked in at 10 degrees, it should stay right there.
They will run with the timing advance locked out, just not as well as they could.
I think when he gets his timing advance sorted out he is in for a pleasant HP gain.

All of my carbed cars were either mechanical or vacuum advance.
When I ran full MSD ignition I locked the distributor advance and let the MSD control the timing advance, but my experiences with that was so many years ago I don't recall exactly how I did it to tell you the truth.

Maybe he can get some help and just record the timing he sees with a timing light at say every 1000 RPM. That should give an idea of what is going on.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #257
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I had an older Ford dist I believe with the vacuum port facing out where the ignition module would have been. I believe(but could be wrong) that my vacuum was coming straight off the carb.
If the timing is moving(either way) something is controlling it some how.

Dreamstang do you know if it(timing) was advancing properly before you added the MSD box or any other recent mods? If you know it was, troubleshooting it will be narrowed down and you can find it by elimination. I trouble shoot machines for a living
Old 03-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #258
Road Trip!

No I never checked it before the box was installed.I wish I would have.

It's def not a vacuum advance dizzy.there is nowhere on it to hook up vaccine.there is however a module on the side.I will take a pic of it later.before I started checking it I assumed it was mechanical advance.

Thanx for chiming in.the more the merrier.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #259
Road Trip!

Ok so I snapped some pics of the dizzy.it does seem to have a blocked off plug on it.is that where a spout connector would hook to? It does look like a factory style block off but I can't be certain.also it has an ignition module on it.
It's a motorcraft unit.so if previous owner put a earlier model stock unit on it,it would need to be an earlier model.the question is the earlier models like 84:
A -shouldn't have a spout connector?
B- used a normal ignition modul?
C- used mechanical or vacuum advance?

I am gonna get a msd unit but I just want to know for sure what's going on.its alway so hard figuring out what someone else did.I bought the car from my father inlaws for 500$.he was gonna fix it up but dosnt have a garage and the project ended up being more than he thought.anyways the car was passed around to 2 other owners before him and it sat at his house for 2-3 years.so long story short he didn't know chit about the car.

Ok so next question.the pressure gauge that came with the duel feed line didn't work,so I thought.I wasn't thinking and already got a new one.it didn't work also.so I got to thinking ,do I need to block the return line to accurately read the pressure? And if that's the case, won't it change when I unblock the line? If that's what's got to be done I may look into getting some kind of valve so I can block an unblock the return easily.

Sorry for the story book and mountain of questions.lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120302_185522.png
Views:	116
Size:	523.5 KB
ID:	42300   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120302_185553.png
Views:	125
Size:	390.6 KB
ID:	42301  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120302_185606.png
Views:	115
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	42302   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120302_185620.png
Views:	113
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	42303  

Old 03-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #260
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I believe in 84 the auto's had TB EFI, if I had to guess I'd say that's the case. I know I don't have pics of my old one but the base for the cap was blue and there was no module on it. I didn't do the swap to carb, but I helped and have no idea where the dist was sourced from at all.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #261
Road Trip!

did you see on the first pic , the right side it looks to be a blocked off plug in?did yours have 1 or 2 plug in spots?the ignition module is the only harness on it. does your 95 have a similar module on it?one thing that is wierd is that the module is really close to my upper radiator hose which hints to me that its not an 88. my car was originaly an auto but it has been converted also.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

i was trying to get my video up but my phone distorts to much.i always have trouble getting qualit sound.my neighbors gonna try with his phone here in a little bit.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #262
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Mine(carbed) had two wires I think, no plug. In 94 they moved the spout and module under the air box. Fox cars had them on the dist. For vacuum there was a piece on it that looked like a over grown EFI fuel regulator, sorry for the crude description lol
Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #263
Road Trip!

ok thanx,yeah i fogot they move the spout
Old 03-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #264
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok so I snapped some pics of the dizzy.it does seem to have a blocked off plug on it.is that where a spout connector would hook to? It does look like a factory style block off but I can't be certain.also it has an ignition module on it.
It's a motorcraft unit.so if previous owner put a earlier model stock unit on it,it would need to be an earlier model.the question is the earlier models like 84:
A -shouldn't have a spout connector?
B- used a normal ignition modul?
C- used mechanical or vacuum advance?

I am gonna get a msd unit but I just want to know for sure what's going on.its alway so hard figuring out what someone else did.I bought the car from my father inlaws for 500$.he was gonna fix it up but dosnt have a garage and the project ended up being more than he thought.anyways the car was passed around to 2 other owners before him and it sat at his house for 2-3 years.so long story short he didn't know chit about the car.

Ok so next question.the pressure gauge that came with the duel feed line didn't work,so I thought.I wasn't thinking and already got a new one.it didn't work also.so I got to thinking ,do I need to block the return line to accurately read the pressure? And if that's the case, won't it change when I unblock the line? If that's what's got to be done I may look into getting some kind of valve so I can block an unblock the return easily.

I'd like to see what's inside the distributor too?
It appears that you are still using the TFI module in some way and that means some type of computer controller.
Don't be overly concerned about the E4 on the distributor housing. That just means that was the year they engineered/designed that housing. It could have been used for numerous years afterwards if they had a big stock of them.

Be back with more info.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #265
Road Trip!

ok give me a bit and ill go get a pic of the inside.also i checked with a light again it retards exactly 2 *
Old 03-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #266
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
did you see on the first pic , the right side it looks to be a blocked off plug in?did yours have 1 or 2 plug in spots?the ignition module is the only harness on it. does your 95 have a similar module on it?one thing that is wierd is that the module is really close to my upper radiator hose which hints to me that its not an 88. my car was originaly an auto but it has been converted also.
That appears to be a fuel octane adjustment rod.
See pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TFI Dist.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	42310  
Old 03-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #267
Road Trip!
Supporter

If they used the 84 or maybe 85 Mustang Dura-Spark II ignition your wiring should look somewhat like this.

Can you trace the wires coming out of the distributor and see where they go?
Maybe make you a drawing for future reference.
We need to determine what they did so we can get you the correct MSD distributor later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	84-85 Must Dura Spark II.gif
Views:	1895
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	42313  
Old 03-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #268
Road Trip!

Inside
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120302_195047.png
Views:	105
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	42314   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120302_195106.png
Views:	108
Size:	568.9 KB
ID:	42315  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120302_195145.png
Views:	107
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	42316  
Old 03-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #269
Road Trip!

i just found this
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...comparison.gif

this is the link the the home page which im sure u could of figured that out but it looks like a good link for your sticky
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/
Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #270
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Inside
Ok, I don't see any type of advance mechanism and it has a pickup coil or PIP, so a module, computer or something else is controlling the timing events.
Time to trace some wires.
You must have a Duraspark module mounted somewhere?

Quote:
i just found this
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...comparison.gif

this is the link the the home page which im sure u could of figured that out but it looks like a good link for your sticky
Mustang FAQ - Wiring & Engine Info

I have that one in there already.
The Ford Fuel Injection, now called Old Fuel Injection link in there, also has a lot of diagrams and info.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #271
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
You should not have to block the return line if it is controlled by the regulator.
It shouldn't return all the time, just when you get over the pressure limit you set.
Maybe it isn't working properly?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #272
Road Trip!

Quote:

Ok, I don't see any type of advance mechanism and it has a pickup coil or PIP, so a module, computer or something else is controlling the timing events.
Time to trace some wires.
You must have a Duraspark module mounted somewhere?

I have that one in there already.
The Ford Fuel Injection, now called Old Fuel Injection link in there, also has a lot of diagrams and info.
i dont have anything else hooked with the distributor.thats would explain why im not advancing.the ****** is very minor im thinking more and more that the btm is causing this.when i took the knob off i had it on the highest setting possible.im gonna play with it and see if i get a change.i will still double check if theres something else hooked to it but im 95% sure there isnt

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Quote:

You should not have to block the return line if it is controlled by the regulator.
It shouldn't return all the time, just when you get over the pressure limit you set.
Maybe it isn't working properly?
i havent installed the new regulator yet.when i did the first fire up it took a mnute to prime the fuel lines,but i didnt know that was it and put my original setup on.so as of now im not sure what the pressure is suppose to be.i left the new rubber lines long cause i wasnt sure where i was gonna mount it.i plan on doing that in the next couple days.so maybe its the configuration and the gauge will work once i get that all hooked up then.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

since my sound quality on my phone is poor i had my neighbor take the video.he is in the process of uploading the video.so hopefully ill have it posted soon

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

ok here it is finally.still phone quality but at least it dosnt distort as bad as my phone.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #273
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
i dont have anything else hooked with the distributor.thats would explain why im not advancing.the ****** is very minor im thinking more and more that the btm is causing this.when i took the knob off i had it on the highest setting possible.im gonna play with it and see if i get a change.i will still double check if theres something else hooked to it but im 95% sure there isn't

i havent installed the new regulator yet.when i did the first fire up it took a mnute to prime the fuel lines,but i didnt know that was it and put my original setup on.so as of now im not sure what the pressure is suppose to be.i left the new rubber lines long cause i wasnt sure where i was gonna mount it.i plan on doing that in the next couple days.so maybe its the configuration and the gauge will work once i get that all hooked up then.
Weird?
What do the distributor TFI module wires connect to?
Tell me by wire color if you can, then maybe I can find out exactly which module it is and we can discern how it is or isn't working.

For a carbed engine I believe the fuel pressure is supposed to be 5-8 psi.
If you don't have anything regulating the bypass, then the majority of your fuel is going straight back to the tank, but evidently the pump moves enough fuel to run the engine.
That would also explain the lack of pressure.

Car sounds good in the video.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #274
Road Trip!

The harness
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120302_221205.png
Views:	110
Size:	607.0 KB
ID:	42332  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #275
Road Trip!

Ok first pic the harness
Next those wires are in the plastic conduit under the red wires
Next it goes into the big plastic conduit and either splits into one of these harnesses I never removed or goes into the firewall
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120302_221332.png
Views:	90
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	42333   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120302_221555.png
Views:	101
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	42334  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120302_221612.png
Views:	99
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	42335  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #276
Road Trip!

when i bought the car the carb conversion was never complete.there was wires vacuum lines etc. all over the place.its really got me thinking that its the factory dizzy and ot hooked to anything thats would control it.

what do ou think about this distributor?it is pretty good priced.and it looks as if i would just have to unhook the trigger wire on the btm and then hook the dizzy to the magnetic pickup harness on the btm.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8582/?rtype=1

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

oh yeah, i havent metioned a good ol thank you in a while
Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #277
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
when i bought the car the carb conversion was never complete.there was wires vacuum lines etc. all over the place.its really got me thinking that its the factory dizzy and ot hooked to anything thats would control it.

what do ou think about this distributor?it is pretty good priced.and it looks as if i would just have to unhook the trigger wire on the btm and then hook the dizzy to the magnetic pickup harness on the btm.
MSD Ignition 8582 - MSD Billet Distributors - Overview - SummitRacing.com
I think you are probably right.
I guess they just fed switched 12 volts into it and the PIP grounds it to signal the coil when to fire. I can't think of any other way it could work.

That's a good distributor choice.
Mine is a similar model, but designed to work with the factory EFI system.
At least you will know what's powering your ignition for sure when it's connected up and they are more accurate than stock distributors.
With the mechanical advance, you may have to lock that out for the BTM to work.
Check with MSD to be sure.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #278
Road Trip!

ok thats a good idea.i was gonna order tomorow.but i think ill wait till moday so i can talk to them.plus i may need to find out if i need the magnetic pickup harness. what do u mean lock out the mechanical advance?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #279
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
ok thats a good idea.i was gonna order tomorow.but i think ill wait till moday so i can talk to them.plus i may need to find out if i need the magnetic pickup harness. what do u mean lock out the mechanical advance?
You lock the mechanical advance in place inside the distributor.
Then if your MSD Box/BTM is capable it will handle your timing advance and ******.
The procedure is in this manual - MSD 8582 Distributor Instruction Manual

The P/N 8860 harness will allow you to directly connect your MSD box and the distributor without any other splices.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #280
Road Trip!

Im gonna get to bed now.ill read through that and the btm maual over the weekend.if my btm is capable of advancing,there's no way of getting it to do that now with my current dizzy? Or will that function only work with the msd units? Sorry for so many questions but I'm not that familar with performance type ignition systems. And thanks again.my car wouldn't be were it is now without you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT