Exhaust question!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Exhaust question!!

I have a 89 5.0 with an x pipe and two flowmasters.no cats nothing.some tell me I need back pressure.and some tell I should take off the flows.what should i do??
89 Foxloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Your exhaust is a pretty common exhaust setup.I think your fine.maybe someone else can give you specifics but check this out for a little info. http://www.custom-car.us/exhaust/default.aspx
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks..so I should just take off the flows from what I understood.am I right??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Your flows should be fine.I don't fully understand.you are worried they are restricting you? I think your exhaust is fine just the way it is.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Your mufflers flow better than stock,but still create sufficient back pressure.if anything you should have a small increase in power .maybe or maybe not noticable.and they sound better.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Common misconception is that you need back pressure, you don't. Unless your running high horsepower your flows aren't really hurting you much at all. And here's an article to help you.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
Common misconception is that you need back pressure, you don't. Unless your running high horsepower your flows aren't really hurting you much at all. And here's an article to help you.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html
Nice article!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Exhaust question!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco View Post
I have a 89 5.0 with an x pipe and two flowmasters.no cats nothing.some tell me I need back pressure.and some tell I should take off the flows.what should i do??
No you do not need more back pressure.
That is an old rodders tale that has been disproved numerous times.
If backpressure made more horsepower don't you think racers would have full exhaust on their cars?
No you do not need to remove your flowmasters.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

No you do not need more back pressure.
That is an old rodders tale that has been disproved numerous times.
If backpressure made more horsepower don't you think racers would have full exhaust on their cars?
No you do not need to remove your flowmasters.
So am good the way it is??
Old 09-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco View Post
So am good the way it is??
Yes, you are fine the way you are.
I have pretty much the same exhaust on my car and it works just fine too.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yes, you are fine the way you are.
I have pretty much the same exhaust on my car and it works just fine too.
Alright..thanks..I'll get back to you on the smog pump..
Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Wait I'm confused(imagine that hahaha). So if I don't need back pressure on my street car then why do I need mufflers? Simply to keep the power in a usable range for street driving?

I've un bolted the tail pipes and ran headers and H-pipe and the car ran like a three legged dog. Especially on the bottom it was gutless. Up top really wasn't that much better.

I know on a race/high HP application pipes and mufflers are restrictive, but on a street car it's "useful"? Excluding the noise of course.

Just removing the tailpipes for turn downs on my first GT took me from launching at idle to well over 2k controlling wheel spin. With turn downs I couldn't just stomp the gas and spin, but when it got above 3k I would smoke the tires.

My point is that if back pressure was useless, the common exhaust set up would not include mufflers on street cars with off road exhaust. Again exclude the noise because if the numbers were far apart people would say screw the noise I want the HP..? Please enlighten me as I have the old school mind set if someone could show me otherwise I'll cut the mufflers off mine this week.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Wait I'm confused(imagine that hahaha). So if I don't need back pressure on my street car then why do I need mufflers? Simply to keep the power in a usable range for street driving?

I've un bolted the tail pipes and ran headers and H-pipe and the car ran like a three legged dog. Especially on the bottom it was gutless. Up top really wasn't that much better.

I know on a race/high HP application pipes and mufflers are restrictive, but on a street car it's "useful"? Excluding the noise of course.

Just removing the tailpipes for turn downs on my first GT took me from launching at idle to well over 2k controlling wheel spin. With turn downs I couldn't just stomp the gas and spin, but when it got above 3k I would smoke the tires.

My point is that if back pressure was useless, the common exhaust set up would not include mufflers on street cars with off road exhaust. Again exclude the noise because if the numbers were far apart people would say screw the noise I want the HP..? Please enlighten me as I have the old school mind set if someone could show me otherwise I'll cut the mufflers off mine this week.
Read the article.
A bit of backpressure will improve your bottom end power, but there is not a huge difference. With a custom configured exhaust they actually picked up some power over wide open exhaust.
The point being he had nothing to worry about with his current exhaust on a street driven car.

Of course your car ran like crap when you removed the mufflers.
It wasn't tuned for that kind of exhaust flow.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Exactly my point.
It's important to have the right back pressure and flow for your engine. Which is to say the idea that "you don't need back pressure" is just wrong. Reduced back pressure is ideal for street cars, and for race motors need even less(far less).

Didn't read entire article, but what I did read is pretty good.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Exactly my point.
It's important to have the right back pressure and flow for your engine. Which is to say the idea that "you don't need back pressure" is just wrong. Reduced back pressure is ideal for street cars, and for race motors need even less(far less).

Didn't read entire article, but what I did read is pretty good.
If that is what you tune for (most street cars) then yes, you need a little backpressure.
You could also tune for no backpressure with very similar results.
There is just not enough difference to worry over it either way.

The thing is, unless you can afford a custom tuned/flowed exhaust, the off the shelf varieties will serve very well for street purposes.

Thanks for the discussion, it makes me think and keeps my brain from stagnating.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Lol me too, and I'm learning! 
Old 09-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco
For back pressure all you want is about 2-5 psi for back pressure. You can usually get that from the bends in the exhaust.
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Velocity is often mistaken for back pressure. On most any car now no matter what you do performance wise it needs a new tune. Most cars come tuned to back pressure and taking it away will affect it's low end torque. You can always tune around it and pick up the lost torque and then some.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust