Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Engine rebuild option

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  EHP 
#1 ·
Wanting to make my 92 gt have a little more power. I don't know if I wanna rebuild my stock 302 or what. I have a buddy that has a 306 that came out of a 94 gt that said the rod bearing was knocking. Should I buy the 306 or just rebuild mine. I know the 92 had forged pistons so they r a little stronger but I would like to have a 306? What would be the best thing? Is there much difference between a 302 and a 306? Any help would be great. I can probably buy the 306 for just a few hundred dollars.

#2 ·
A 306 is nothing more than a 302 bored .030 over. If you know that your engine is good I would just rebuild it. Have a machine shop check the block bores for square and check the deck for warpage. Take the heads in while your at it and have them check the heads fir warpage too.

#3 ·
Can you actually feel the different between stock and a .030 bore? Would it help if I bored mine out or just leave it 302 and put new rings in it? I plan to eventually buy a SC on it. Is there anything that I need to do to the motor to be able to handle it? Just want a low boost. Nothing major.

#4 ·
Chances are that your cylinders will not be straight to just take a honing, so they will need to be bored. A standard bore is .030 and then you will need oversized pistons and rings at a minimum. If you are going to be boosting it then I would get a completely forged bottom end (pistons, rods, crank). There are several companies out there that offer these kits at a fairly reasonable price. I would talk with your machine shop when you figure out the kit that you want as there may be some machining they will have to do to make it all perfect. If you are mechanically inclined you cab put the engine together, just follow steps in a Haynes or chilton manual when it comes to checking bearing tolerances and ring gaps as well as torque specs. As far as feeling a power differences, well that depends. If your engine was that tired that it needed a rebuild then you will probably feel a little, but nothing like when you throw a charger on it.

#6 ·
Machine work is expensive, I would get the 306 cheap and build it plus your car will still be mobile, it will give you more time to make it right and make sound desicions on the build! We have several kits in stock if you need help or advice give us a call......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.