need more power, whats the advantages/disadvantages or turbo's/supercharger's? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #1

Region: Missouri
need more power, whats the advantages/disadvantages or turbo's/supercharger's?

i know about the gains and etc. but is there any other things i should take into consideration? i plan on getting the programmer first and see how much that helps and traction control bars, but it just seems like with all the stuff done to my car it should have more power. also with the 303 cam it has it tends to idle up to 1700-1900 and stay around there more than it should, is there any fix for this? oh also on the supercharger/turbo setup, is the price difference worth the extra or? open to any ideas on power increases, its a 94 with a 306, any ideas would be great thanks
Exoticgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Re: need more power, whats the advantages/disadvantages or turbo's/supercharger's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoticgene View Post
i know about the gains and etc. but is there any other things i should take into consideration? i plan on getting the programmer first and see how much that helps and traction control bars, but it just seems like with all the stuff done to my car it should have more power. also with the 303 cam it has it tends to idle up to 1700-1900 and stay around there more than it should, is there any fix for this? oh also on the supercharger/turbo setup, is the price difference worth the extra or? open to any ideas on power increases, its a 94 with a 306, any ideas would be great thanks
First, read my sticky post at the top of the forums about SC & TC.
Supercharger will be cheaper, but they are a bit harder on the engine because of the belt drive and side loading the crank.
Unless you wnat to get into the internals of the engine you will need to keep the boost low around 6-8 psi max.

You will need to tune your car and take care of any issues it may have before installing any type of power adder.
You should also run a compression check on all of the cylinders to verify they are in good shape.
If you don't have one yet, go ahead and buy a good Chilton or Haynes manual for your car. Get one that has all of the wiring diagrams in it.

Once you have the manual, come and see me and we will see if we sort out what the issues are.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Stroke you motor to a 347. Cheaper, more reliable
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #4

Re: need more power, whats the advantages/disadvantages or turbo's/supercharger's?

would the 6-8 psi be very noticable or would it be a waste of time? i would like to sc it but if it costs that much and wont help that much, harrison has a brand new turbo that he doesnt use i could prob get pretty cheap, but id have to get all the excess stuff that goes with it so it would prob be a pain in the rear.

what kind of options are you talking about in the internals? it has almost everything replaced inside and out, prob not the best but i made a list of all the stuff and it added up to over 8k worth of reciepts of little stuff here and there.

also what about the compression test and wiring? where would i go about getting that done and the wiring what should we need to check on that? possible its causing my idling problem?

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Greene View Post
Stroke you motor to a 347. Cheaper, more reliable
i was debating on that definately, would the power be noticablely different between the 306 vs 347? or would it be better to just add a little more and sc or turbo?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoticgene
would the 6-8 psi be very noticable or would it be a waste of time? i would like to sc it but if it costs that much and wont help that much, harrison has a brand new turbo that he doesnt use i could prob get pretty cheap, but id have to get all the excess stuff that goes with it so it would prob be a pain in the rear.

what kind of options are you talking about in the internals? it has almost everything replaced inside and out, prob not the best but i made a list of all the stuff and it added up to over 8k worth of reciepts of little stuff here and there.

also what about the compression test and wiring? where would i go about getting that done and the wiring what should we need to check on that? possible its causing my idling problem?

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

i was debating on that definately, would the power be noticablely different between the 306 vs 347? or would it be better to just add a little more and sc or turbo?
Add some good heads,cam, intake. You can make near 400 whp NA
Old 09-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #6

well so far i have a trickflow intake, trick heads, 303 cam, i mean its ok but nothing like i expected, would those be interchangeable with the 347 kit or would i have to change it up a bit?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

That would work. Stroke it out trust me. You'll make 375 whp with that combo
Old 09-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #8

will everything interchange? or what all else would i need? and whats the price run on those and are they a pain to put in?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
You can pick up a compression tester at your local auto parts store shouldn't cost that much.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #10

alright ill check into that, hopefully bobby has one so i dont have to buy one lol, so if its getting bad compression or a leak this will cause? power loss and the car not to run correctly?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:

Yes, you will definitely "notice" the 6-8 psi.

Check on the turbo size and price.
Some of the rice burner turbos are pretty small and it may not be adequate for your use. Turbos are much more complicated to install, but they will ultimately provide you with more power and they are easier on your engine.

If you read the SC-TC post like I said and followed the link in that thread, you'll see that you can put together a turbo system for about 2K.

Compression test, buy a tester they are not that expensive and do it yourself.

Wiring? I don't remember any wiring issues.

Internals - For a safer build in a SC/TC scenario you should use forged pistons, rods and crankshaft. Along with a main stud girdle, windage tray and a valley girdle to keep it all together when using a stock engine block.

P.S. A 347 in my book is just not worth the expense and they are not more reliable by any means. If anything they are weaker because you have bored the cylinders weakening the block and the rod ratio puts more pressure on the sides of the pistons and bores which is never a good thing.

If you are thinking along those lines then consider instead of getting a 351W and rebuilding it. Most of your external parts will fit except the lower intake, oil pan and headers. You will get a much stronger block and if you want to stroke it you can go up to 427 cubic inches for some real torque and horsepower.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Compression test is just gonna tell you what kinda shape your motor is in.you shouldnt use a power adder if you motor is not in good shape.
Your surging idle could be a number of things.get your book like TH suggested and I'm sure he could help you with that.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
alright ill check into that, hopefully bobby has one so i dont have to buy one lol, so if its getting bad compression or a leak this will cause? power loss and the car not to run correctly?
I had one, loaned it out, forgot who and it never came home.
Doodle probably has one we can use if we need it.
Off subject - Where are your tools?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
I had one, loaned it out, forgot who and it never came home.
Doodle probably has one we can use if we need it.
Off subject - Where are your tools?
i got my box and all my tools in the basement and dads house so noone would try to steal them, hmm well i guess from all the comments ill probably just forget it all and put traction bars on it and stop there. everything else sounds like its taking away from the car or too much for me to tackle.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Compression test is just gonna tell you what kinda shape your motor is in.you shouldnt use a power adder if you motor is not in good shape.
Your surging idle could be a number of things.get your book like TH suggested and I'm sure he could help you with that.
alright, thanks for the info.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
i got my box and all my tools in the basement and dads house so no one would try to steal them, hmm well i guess from all the comments ill probably just forget it all and put traction bars on it and stop there. everything else sounds like its taking away from the car or too much for me to tackle.

NOPE, I can't accept that decision.

That's a defeatist attitude.
Decide what you want to do, then work and learn to make it happen.
You will learn that anything is possible if you want it bad enough to work for it.
That attitude has served me well over the years and you yourself know the problems and trials I have had to overcome.
YOU...CAN...DO...IT!

I will help you do yours and you will supply the muscle to help me get mine done, deal?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #16

Quote:
NOPE, I can't accept that decision.

That's a defeatist attitude.
Decide what you want to do, then work and learn to make it happen.
You will learn that anything is possible if you want it bad enough to work for it.
That attitude has served me well over the years and you yourself know the problems and trials I have had to overcome. YOU...CAN...DO...IT!
yes you've overcome more than anyone should have to, well the only thing i know is i want more power for sure. the thing i dont know is which way to go, going to the internals seems as if i wont be able to drive my car for several months and will cost more than ill ever have. the sc sounds like the best idea but if its only 6-8 psi it seems like thats alot of money for a small gain. i guess ill just have to flip a coin and go from there, either way i go there will be good and bad effects. on the other hand, i guess theres always a suzuki gsxr 1000 that could satisfy my power needs lol. the 351 idea sounds good but im sure id have to do alot of altering and once again i wouldnt be able to drive it for along time. i looked up some sc and tc kits but they have like 100+ pieces to them i dont see how they could ever be put on in less than a month or two, but ill just read into it some more when i have a little more time to fool around.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
yes you've overcome more than anyone should have to, well the only thing i know is i want more power for sure. the thing i dont know is which way to go, going to the internals seems as if i wont be able to drive my car for several months and will cost more than ill ever have. the sc sounds like the best idea but if its only 6-8 psi it seems like thats alot of money for a small gain. i guess ill just have to flip a coin and go from there, either way i go there will be good and bad effects. on the other hand, i guess theres always a suzuki gsxr 1000 that could satisfy my power needs lol. the 351 idea sounds good but im sure id have to do alot of altering and once again i wouldnt be able to drive it for along time. i looked up some sc and tc kits but they have like 100+ pieces to them i dont see how they could ever be put on in less than a month or two, but ill just read into it some more when i have a little more time to fool around.
Ok, first thing. Let's find you a "CHEAP" beater that you can drive when your Mustang is down for improvements.
Then we will concentrate on the small stuff and get it tuned as well as we can without a tuner.
Then you save up and buy a tuner, then start buying the parts you need to SC or TC as you can afford them.
See where I'm going?
That is what I have done and I am within 2-3 parts of having everything I need for my SC install.
Aaaannnddd....after that I'm doing full suspension and brakes.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering from our conversation here, Gene is my nephew and he is named after my brother and I's dad who was killed in an accident when we were very young, so I have to and want to help and guide him as I see fit.
That doesn't mean we don't want anyone else's advice or ideas though.
We appreciate your interest and ideas very much.
TH
Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #18

ahh i didnt see the last part of your reply, but yes i will definately help you with yours, if i can do that it will give me a better understanding of how the parts go on/work so ill know what i have to look forward too
Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
Road Trip!

You could always get another block and build it slowly . Then when its ready swap it out.you can even buy new blocks that already have forged internals.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Ok, first thing. Let's find you a "CHEAP" beater that you can drive when your Mustang is down for improvements.
Then we will concentrate on the small stuff and get it tuned as well as we can without a tuner.
Then you save up and buy a tuner, then start buying the parts you need to SC or TC as you can afford them.
See where I'm going?
That is what I have done and I am within 2-3 parts of having everything I need for my SC install.
within 2-3 parts? wow what are you lacking to get it done? and ya i have my ranger i can drive while my car is being worked on. wow your doing suspension and brakes too? so basically your gonna have a new car sitting on them wheels and tires lol. nothing wrong with that at all though, id like to see you get it back on the road ive had alot of people ask me about it and when your going to get it out again. im suprised michael felten actually is talking good about my car, i figured he would of said his powerstroke could of taken it like he does about everything else in town

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Quote:
You could always get another block and build it slowly . Then when its ready swap it out.you can even buy new blocks that already have forged internals.
ya thats true, might be something to look at in the future. i bet they cost a pretty penny for forged internals with the block
Old 09-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #21
Road Trip!

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Forged-Pistons

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

See where I'm going?

P.S. In case anyone is wondering from our conversation here, Gene is my nephew and he is named after my brother and I's dad who was killed in an accident when we were very young, so I have to and want to help and guide him as I see fit.
That doesn't mean we don't want anyone else's advice or ideas though.
We appreciate your interest and ideas very much.
TH
+1
Old 09-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #22

Quote:
1979-95 Mustang 5.0L 302 Economy Short Block with Forged Pistons, Accepts Roller Cam at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

+1
thats not too bad at all, i figured it would cost 2500+ thanks for the link
Old 09-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #23
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
within 2-3 parts? wow what are you lacking to get it done? and ya i have my ranger i can drive while my car is being worked on. wow your doing suspension and brakes too? so basically your gonna have a new car sitting on them wheels and tires lol. nothing wrong with that at all though, id like to see you get it back on the road ive had alot of people ask me about it and when your going to get it out again. im suprised michael felten actually is talking good about my car, i figured he would of said his powerstroke could of taken it like he does about everything else in town

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

ya thats true, might be something to look at in the future. i bet they cost a pretty penny for forged internals with the block
I'm lacking the fuel pump, the methanol injection and the MAP sensor and boost meter I'm going to use.
Yes it will be pretty much a new car, but modified to suit my likes.

When WE get it out, everyone will know it.
Once it is tuned right we have a couple of Camaros and a Vette or two to challenge at the track.
2850 pounds with 550-600 hp should give us a sporting chance eh?

Those powerstrokes are tough and can make some power, but so can we and we don't weigh near as much. I wouldn't let anything negative he says bother me one bit. Plus, he's not likely to spend the money it would take to be competitive with us.

The 351W is the idea I like best and I have been looking for a deal on one for some time now for myself. Good things come to those who are patient and dilligent. Doodle can help us with the machine work and he might have a line on some good deals on the forged parts we will need.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
1979-95 Mustang 5.0L 302 Economy Short Block with Forged Pistons, Accepts Roller Cam at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

+1
Thanks man!
I appreciate your help and input.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #25
Road Trip!

No prob.just throwing ideas out. I think 351 idea is best also.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Lucky nephew to have an ace like yourself on his side
Old 09-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #26
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
No prob.just throwing ideas out. I think 351 idea is best also.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Lucky nephew to have an ace like yourself on his side
In my current, crippled up condition, I'm lucky to have him to help me too.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #27
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
here is my two cents...

idle surge... 9 outa 10 times itsa fuel issue. wut size injectors do you have? for that combo you need at least 24lbs injectors, and fuel pressure should be set around 42-42.5psi. if not, your just abusing the i.a.c., it will never catch up.

trojanhorse and block weakening...
dude, wuts your deal with block punching, his motor is already punched "0.30" over. if he strokes it, 0.30 pistons is wut comes in the kit anyway, wether itsa 347 or 331. "0.60" is dangerous territory, and "0.40" is the limit for anything that makes good power for a block that is expected to have good d.d. reliabilty
point is, .30 isnt that much and its industry standard for any engine rebuild. im mentioning this cause i think we talked bout this in other threads. the way you state things will make ppl think theyre motor is a ticking time bomb if theyre motor gets punched.

boost....
a stock internal (standard stroke) 302 should have no problem handling up to 15psi without main or lifter valley girdles. that equates to approx. 500-550 at the wheels. anything more than 15lbs and the main and lifter valley girdles are the game changers. but theyre not really expensive.

a 4.6 mod motor taps out at 6-8psi on stock internals. but definatley not a pushrod 302 motor. i ran 11psi on a motor punched .40 over for past five years frequently seeing 6250rpm with stock internals and standard stroke...... and totaly off subject, but with a 7.5 rear end a frpp trac-lok to boot. i got a couple other friends who run stock internal 302's w/12-13psi and have never had issues, and are reliable d.d. cars

again, just my two cents...

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

advantages/disadvantages.....
mo power, mo power, mo power!!! is the advatages...

premium fuel only, 30lbs (@9-10 psi or more) and larger injectors, and crappy fuel milage are the disadvantages.

5-6psi of boost will increase your fuel milage and have you at about 100% volumetric efficiency in the cylinders. when you get to 10psi or more you'll start to lose fuel milage cause of the injector size and it being a obd1 system to boot. that's y the cobras' got the 6speed transmissions, those guys arent *****n bout fuel milage even though they rock 42-60 and larger injectors with well over 15lbs of boost and can run a 4.10 gear and still see 23-26 highway.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
dude, wuts your deal with block punching, his motor is already punched "0.30" over. if he strokes it, 0.30 pistons is wut comes in the kit anyway, wether itsa 347 or 331. "0.60" is dangerous territory, and "0.40" is the limit for anything that makes good power for a block that is expected to have good d.d. reliabilty
point is, .30 isnt that much and its industry standard for any engine rebuild. im mentioning this cause i think we talked bout this in other threads. the way you state things will make ppl think they're motor is a ticking time bomb if they're motor gets punched.
My "deal" is that the 302 stock block is a weak block from the very beginning. They are called "Thin Henry's" for a reason. The thin wall casting techniques used to cast the block are not conducive to high horsepower, high stress builds.
Personal experience, I have seen at least a half a dozen of these blocks fail when subjected to elevated horsepower levels. The most drastic failure I witnessed split right down the middle of the block.
I have over 30 years worth of experience in using, abusing and sometimes destroying these little engines, so I feel qualified to offer my opinion. That doesn't mean anyone has to listen to or follow my suggestions.

All engines are ticking time bombs, the stock block 302 is even more so when the pressure is applied. It is a well known fact that these blocks distort badly at high HP levels.
I have also owned 302s that have remained stock and lasted in excess of 200k miles.
So they are good little engines, but you have to be aware of their capabilities and not stress them to the extreme.

I don't intend to "scare" anyone away from what they want to do.
I'm just trying to make sure they understand the consequences and limits they should adhere to.

I'm really sorry if my posts about the weakness and instability of the 302 offend you.
That is not my intention I assure you.
But I will stand behind what I believe and have said about the 302.
I have both seen and proved to myself what their capabilities are.

Now all of that being said, my current project is to try and get 550-600+ HP out of a stock block 5.0 and make it live for a reasonable amount of time. DSS claims their main support system will support the stock block up to 650 HP. Being from MO, I have to see that for myself.

Oh yeah, Thanks for your .02.
Peace.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #29
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
My "deal" is that the 302 stock block is a weak block from the very beginning. They are called "Thin Henry's" for a reason. The thin wall casting techniques used to cast the block are not conducive to high horsepower, high stress builds.
Personal experience, I have seen at least a half a dozen of these blocks fail when subjected to elevated horsepower levels. The most drastic failure I witnessed split right down the middle of the block.
I have over 30 years worth of experience in using, abusing and sometimes destroying these little engines, so I feel qualified to offer my opinion. That doesn't mean anyone has to listen to or follow my suggestions.

All engines are ticking time bombs, the stock block 302 is even more so when the pressure is applied. It is a well known fact that these blocks distort badly at high HP levels.
I have also owned 302s that have remained stock and lasted in excess of 200k miles.
So they are good little engines, but you have to be aware of their capabilities and not stress them to the extreme.

I don't intend to "scare" anyone away from what they want to do.
I'm just trying to make sure they understand the consequences and limits they should adhere to.

I'm really sorry if my posts about the weakness and instability of the 302 offend you.
That is not my intention I assure you.
But I will stand behind what I believe and have said about the 302.
I have both seen and proved to myself what their capabilities are.

Now all of that being said, my current project is to try and get 550-600+ HP out of a stock block 5.0 and make it live for a reasonable amount of time. DSS claims their main support system will support the stock block up to 650 HP. Being from MO, I have to see that for myself.

Oh yeah, Thanks for your .02.
Peace.
lol, im not offened at all. im just sayn that the way you state things will have sum of the less mechanicaly inclined or experienced ppl here think that theyre 302 is junk and unreliable if it needs to be punched for a rebuild. ppl n here have a tendacy to take a piece of info and run with it if u know wut i mean. there's a few of us making 500rwhp reliable hp on stock internals punched up to .40 (im not a fan of .40 though). dss makes great blocks from wut i hear. im not saying your wrong, just that the way u state stuff may make sum ppl lose sleep in regards to their power plant.

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 09-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #30
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
lol, im not offened at all. im just sayn that the way you state things will have sum of the less mechanicaly inclined or experienced ppl here think that theyre 302 is junk and unreliable if it needs to be punched for a rebuild. ppl n here have a tendacy to take a piece of info and run with it if u know wut i mean. there's a few of us making 500rwhp reliable hp on stock internals punched up to .40 (im not a fan of .40 though). dss makes great blocks from wut i hear. im not saying your wrong, just that the way u state stuff may make sum ppl lose sleep in regards to their power plant.
I understand.
Maybe you are correct and I tend to go overboard a bit.
I'll try to refrain, but no promises.

You making that 500 HP on the stock crank and rods?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #31
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
I understand.
Maybe you are correct and I tend to go overboard a bit.
I'll try to refrain, but no promises.

You making that 500 HP on the stock crank and rods?
456rwhp, so i gueese its n the neighborhood at the crank... and 7.5 rear end (street tires only)... i like to break the rules

Old 09-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #32
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
456rwhp, so i gueese its n the neighborhood at the crank... and 7.5 rear end (street tires only)... i like to break the rules
You are definitely pushing the envelope and an exception to the rule.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
My choice would be the 351 swap. Instantly more cubes than stroking and a stronger block imo. While there is gonna be some downtime to change things over to mount it in the car, you can take your time and build the engine right and still be cruising your stang. I can post a link to the instructions on a 351 swap but I'm sure Trojan has one already Good luck!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #34
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
My choice would be the 351 swap. Instantly more cubes than stroking and a stronger block imo. While there is gonna be some downtime to change things over to mount it in the car, you can take your time and build the engine right and still be cruising your stang. I can post a link to the instructions on a 351 swap but I'm sure Trojan has one already Good luck!
Go ahead and post the link, there is no such thing as too much information when it comes to engine swaps.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #35

Quote:
here is my two cents...

idle surge... 9 outa 10 times itsa fuel issue. wut size injectors do you have? for that combo you need at least 24lbs injectors, and fuel pressure should be set around 42-42.5psi. if not, your just abusing the i.a.c., it will never catch up.

point is, .30 isnt that much and its industry standard for any engine rebuild. im mentioning this cause i think we talked bout this in other threads. the way you state things will make ppl think theyre motor is a ticking time bomb if theyre motor gets punched.

boost....
a stock internal (standard stroke) 302 should have no problem handling up to 15psi without main or lifter valley girdles. that equates to approx. 500-550 at the wheels. anything more than 15lbs and the main and lifter valley girdles are the game changers. but theyre not really expensive.

a 4.6 mod motor taps out at 6-8psi on stock internals. but definatley not a pushrod 302 motor. i ran 11psi on a motor punched .40 over for past five years frequently seeing 6250rpm with stock internals and standard stroke...... and totaly off subject, but with a 7.5 rear end a frpp trac-lok to boot. i got a couple other friends who run stock internal 302's w/12-13psi and have never had issues, and are reliable d.d. cars

again, just my two cents...

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

advantages/disadvantages.....
mo power, mo power, mo power!!! is the advatages...

premium fuel only, 30lbs (@9-10 psi or more) and larger injectors, and crappy fuel milage are the disadvantages.

5-6psi of boost will increase your fuel milage and have you at about 100% volumetric efficiency in the cylinders. when you get to 10psi or more you'll start to lose fuel milage cause of the injector size and it being a obd1 system to boot. that's y the cobras' got the 6speed transmissions, those guys arent *****n bout fuel milage even though they rock 42-60 and larger injectors with well over 15lbs of boost and can run a 4.10 gear and still see 23-26 highway.
hmm thats alot of info, so i have a 306 with 24lb injectors, trick heads/intake, some newer internals, so that would be able to hold up to the psi then? sounds like it would be debatable to try that, thanks for all the input and info

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
ive been thinking of this option all day lol, will the suspension and the front end be able to handle a 351 in it though? seems like i might have to try and do alot of add ons for it to work, im not sure but thats how it seems. but the power gain seems like it may be worth it in the end

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT