Project - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Project

Hey everyone, Allen here.
I've been a member of the site for a while now but rarely post.
A lot of the questions that I had about my old 'Stang were pretty much already answered. I figured it would be better to search the forum myself rather than keep asking the same questions that get asked like twice a week..haha

I am starting this thread to tell you all about my new project. Well, it's really just for me to show progress and keep up with what's going on. I created an album with some very recent pictures. The details are in the description. You can find that here:
Mustang Evolution - NeedSomeMods's Album: '94 Project

I'm hoping to complete everything by around..yesterday. Haha I'm really excited about it and want everything to be finished already including body work & paint, but realistically it will take a little while to get everything gutted and transplanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Good job man
Old 10-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks racr. I do have a few things I'm uncertain about if anyone wants to give me their opinions.

1) I know the v8 is going to put a lot more pressure on the unibody than the v6 ever could. Should I make subframe connecters or other chassis stiffening mods a necessity or will I be fine?

2) The wheels on the donor car need to be repainted/refinished/powdercoated/whatever. All four tires need replacing as well. I really like the style and think they would look great but would they be worth it?

3) The leather shifter boot and handle need to be replaced. AM sells Steeda Tri-ax short throw shifters in combination with a nice-looking handle for a discounted price. Would you consider that to be a good investment?

4) A while back, I had the v6 rearend swapped out for an 8.8" out of a 01 GT. The speedo is off and I'm not sure what the best way to fix it would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
You could get subframe connectors and some better control arms to help strengthen your car up and will also reduce crow hopping, and now days seems like it's cheaper replacing something that repairing it. You can get with a wheel shop in your area and see what they think. And yeah they have shifter and bezel kits with the boots for pretty cheap, I know lmr has them, to me the little stuff like that really helps a car stand out
Old 10-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I need a serious loan to get everything done the way I want to..too bad I'm 19 with no credit. It will be done though.

Another thing, the computer is stock. No chip, tuner, or anything. With all the intake, exhaust, and especially cam, I don't know how well it's going to drive. The BAMA chip is towards the top of the shopping list.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Project

im doin 6 to 8 conversion on a 96.

1) a 6cyl and 8 cyl chassis are the same. subframe connectors are always a good idea, even on a 6cyl. they help the suspension work better, not just stiffening the frame. also be sure to swap your rear sway bar for a v8 if u havent already, u can get away with the springs, but u definatley wanna swap the sway bar, even a foxbody gt/v8 sway bar will fit

4) there is a speed sensor in the back of the transmission, it has a single 8mm or 10mm bolt holding it in. you can order one from ford or autozone, or you can get one for a couple of bucks or "free 99" from the junk yard. you need to get one from a car that has the same gear ratio as the rear end you transplanted.

pcm>>>
i just fukd up a newly built motor with the wrong pcm. so make sure u run a 94gt-95gt harness with the same 94-95gt pcm. if you run a fox body pcm, make sure u run a fox body harness. they all will plug in together but the grounding is different. so dont mix and match them just cause the plugs r the same

to answer your question... the stock sn95 pcm will work fine. im running .529 lift with 30lbs inj and 11psi of boost. runs and idles like a sewing machine. obviously it lopes, but no surging idle or anything crazy.

just make sure you run an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and the correct injector size for the application and u shouldnt have any issues.

hope this helps and good luck

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks svtlx.

A "good idea" and a necessity are two different things. Being on a budget, that makes subframe connectors move down the list a little bit. Thanks for the info.

I had planned on swapping all harnesses, computer and all. Should be no problem at all.

Speed sensor. Alright. Do you think I should swap the 94 GT rear end so everything would mesh correctly or stick with the 01? Both stock with relatively equal miles.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods View Post
Thanks svtlx.

A "good idea" and a necessity are two different things. Being on a budget, that makes subframe connectors move down the list a little bit. Thanks for the info.

I had planned on swapping all harnesses, computer and all. Should be no problem at all.

Speed sensor. Alright. Do you think I should swap the 94 GT rear end so everything would mesh correctly or stick with the 01? Both stock with relatively equal miles.
with the rear end u should go with best gear ratio i.e. 373 or 355 or what ever u perfer...for the gear ratio get the right speedo correction gear.
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Mystang50, I believe that the stock gear ratio is the same between 94-04 GTs, and probably other years too. I'm not worried about changing the gears themselves.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #10
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Thanks svtlx.

i dont think it really matters. the '01 rear end is a tiny bit wider i believe, but u will b happier wit the stance n the end. if the '01 is in already just leave it.

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 10-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was thinking. I'll either sell it, or save it to be fully built with locking differential, 3.73s, fancy pair of axles, etc.

What can I say, I have dreams. Haha

Should I drain the manual and put fresh fluid in it?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mystang50, I believe that the stock gear ratio is the same between 94-04 GTs, and probably other years too. I'm not worried about changing the gears themselves.
yeah idk 4 sure but my 95 had 327 in it and every body thouth it had 273 in it so...u never know!!lol

and that is one hell of a find with that mustang u found...PROPS!!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Craig is a good friend of mine. (he doesnt realize I just use him for his list)
Old 10-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm having someone come help me with the swap. He has access to any tool he would need and has a 96 GT that he converted from auto to stick himself. He's a mustang guy and he has the experience.

The plan is to start tomorrow morning. I have a nice digital camera I can use to gather evidence

Btw, did I mention he's the brother of the guy that I bought the car from?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys, look what I just found.
This car just keeps getting better and better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111004_084238.png
Views:	155
Size:	448.0 KB
ID:	32431  
Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

During my 15 minute break from work I figured I'd give everyone an update on today's progress.

Both cars were towed to my driveway (thanks to my brother and his truck.) By the time we got both cars off the truck and lined up it was about 10am.
4 1/2 hours later the 3.8/auto are lifted out of the car.
We had planned on swapping the pedals today but the guy helping me had an emergency/had to help someone out.
The goal for tomorrow is to have pedals swapped, and the GT motor/trans sitting in the v6 body.

I will upload all the pictures from today in the album when I get off work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20111004_214519.png
Views:	199
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	32464   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111004_214624.png
Views:	179
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	32465  

Name:	ForumRunner_20111004_214749.png
Views:	151
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	32466  
Old 10-05-2011, 06:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up Re: Project

Quote:
During my 15 minute break from work I figured I'd give everyone an update on today's progress.

Both cars were towed to my driveway (thanks to my brother and his truck.) By the time we got both cars off the truck and lined up it was about 10am.
4 1/2 hours later the 3.8/auto are lifted out of the car.
We had planned on swapping the pedals today but the guy helping me had an emergency/had to help someone out.
The goal for tomorrow is to have pedals swapped, and the GT motor/trans sitting in the v6 body.

I will upload all the pictures from today in the album when I get off work.
looking good!!good progress
Old 10-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Almost complete!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Looking incredible
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20111008_145336.png
Views:	182
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	32690  
Old 10-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Can't wait to see that bad boy in action.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

HOLY CRAP. It's. Alive.
Still pretty rough though.
The IAC is screwed up somehow, but it will be fixed tomorrow.
A few vacuum hoses need adjusting as well.

I seriously could not beleive how freakin' loud it was. Granted, there are no cats, and there are a few exhaust leaks (will soon be fixed) but wow.

I will record a post a video and more pictures when I come out of shock.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #22
Titus Wadicus
Regular

freakn awsome.... we may have to get brent to start our own "conversion" section under svt cars...lol

Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Well I guess God's trying to teach me a lesson on patience with this project...

Throttle cable adjusted, TPS, IAC, all hooked up. Went on the first drive today, and it was great. Then, my mechanic friend took it for a spin..
Punched it hard in second, to third, then everything shut down. Pulled over to discover the fuel pump wasn't engaging. Assuming that the original v6 fuel pump crapped out, we got it back to the house, dropped both gas tanks and switched them (along with GT fuel pump).
Nothing.

Checked fuses and one of them was blown. Put in a new one, blew at first attempt to start. Second try with new fuse, same result.. Theres a short somewhere that had to be found. Praying that I dont have to get a new fuel pump..
I guess I can't be too upset. I knew from the beginning that there would be a few variables in the mix like this.

Going to a more experienced mechanic tomorrow..
Hopefully be 100% good-to-go then.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Project is 99% complete.
Short was being caused by two wires by the TPS that had melted together..fixed now.
Other than the short 5 hour shift I worked today, I haven't stopped driving this car since 4 pm yesterday.. still getting used to the manual

Only issue I'm having now is that the car struggles idling at first start-up. It gets better after about a minute and I've come to the conclusion that the stock computer is having to relearn and readjust because of the cam.

Seeing as how this is my daily driver, it's a problem that needs to be fixed. Has anyone else had this problem?

Would a BAMA chip from American Muscle do the trick? Does it need to be dyno-tuned?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
94-95 ECU? If so they can be finicky to mods especially cams. Dyno time and a program usually clear it up. Have herd of people using ECU's from certain fox cars, pins and such have to be moved though. Could be something simpler though...

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Looks bad *** though btw
Old 10-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, it's the computer from the 94 GT. Throwin a code once it gets going, which is just because of the lack of cats and EGR.

Dyno time would be ideal, but the chip from AM would be cheaper.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

No cats shouldn't bother it(mines fine), but when I took the EGR off(my old 95) it wouldn't throw a code unless I drive it a little ways let's say a couple miles. If I just started the car and let it run no codes. It's how I got it inspected lol

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

I had a tuner w/ selector cable for sale on here w/ no hits. my step father probably has it in eBay by now.. SCT too...

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Ya a canned tune is 'ok' I'd suggest the and dyno time to make it right..
Old 10-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Getting exhaust work done right now. I'm having to go on an unexpected trip with my mother this weekend and she "can't handle the exhaust fumes". Understandable, considering it was cut off just after the mufflers.
Discovered a few exhaust leaks, so they are making me a new H-pipe.
The flowmasters I have aren't the "correct" mustang style, but an offset inlet, center outlet design.
Being this is very budgeted, I'm just going to keep using them.
This makes it a lot harder to make stock style tailpipes fit, so continuing to cut costs, piping is being rerouted to be dumped just behind the rear tires.
That way, all exhaust fumes will exit the vehicle and my mom (who is paying for this) will be happy.

Now, to find a shifter boot in the next hour or two...
Anyone know of a good way to cover it up and still be able to shift? Lol.

How much for the SCT and selector cable? That sure would be nice.
I think I'm going to save up for a good dyno tune though.

My savings has pretty much been depleted thanks to this car.

Worth it.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I had it listed Here for $100, it will have to be programed for your mods. It came out of my automatic. I do not know if that matters...??
Old 10-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Pissed....

Finished the exhaust, sounds great.
Left the shop to do some more errands, and I start seeing smoke.

Long story short, my radiator just exploded....

Fantastic.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

That sucks man...
Old 10-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Get it under control????
Old 10-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Should've updated sooner.
Radiator problem seems to have been taken care of. After letting everything cool down, inspected everything and it was all in one piece; no cracks anywhere. Went to check fluid and the cap was completely loose. The only thing I can think of is that it didn't get tightened down and completely sealed, so when the pressure built up it popped off.

Refilled the reservoir, tightened cap (all the way) and started up.
Temp gauge hasn't gone a hair past the middle of norm since.

We ended up taking my car on the trip and 200 miles later, still running strong!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Awesome! Glad to hear it bro!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You will defiantly want to get a dyno tune cause the 94-95 ecu's don't like mods such as a cam and not having the egr plugged up and working properly the 94-95 ecu's are awesome for tuning have a lot of different perimeters you can tune for and when you get it tuned they can delete the egr system out of the equation! Dyno tune would be the best so you can get the most power and best drivability out of you set-up! I have a 94 gt myself and about to get it dyno tuned and my egr is removed as well and the check engine light comes on on me and I am getting tired of that little light being on haha
98 GT- Full PI swap, 93 tune, 3:73 gears,off-road h-pipe,flows, ported plenum and spacer, mac cai, lowered on eibach springs and eibach shocks and struts,spec stage 2 clutch, pro 5.0 shifter

94gt-H,C,I exhaust, eibach suspension--SOLD
Kyle94GT302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT