trouble shooting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
mystang50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,201
trouble shooting

has anyone on here experienced a bad spark plug wire but where it dont miss but it pings...(well best way to describe sound is rocks shaking in a tin can) when i romp on it when it is hot outside...this has been happing for long time a whole year or so...timing is advanced cuz freind thought that was mabye prob but no, while running tha high octane gas........or it could posibly be running lean??the senser that screws into cai inlet tube dont have teflon tape..or any kind of sealer..but not to losse but could air still creep in there..it dont knock like that every day jus some days it does it some dont..only does it when in high rpm when gas pedel is stuck to floor..and it also seems like when its pinging it aint at full potential...

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
has anyone on here experienced a bad spark plug wire but where it dont miss but it pings...(well best way to describe sound is rocks shaking in a tin can) when i romp on it when it is hot outside...this has been happing for long time a whole year or so...timing is advanced cuz freind thought that was mabye prob but no, while running tha high octane gas........or it could posibly be running lean??the senser that screws into cai inlet tube dont have teflon tape..or any kind of sealer..but not to losse but could air still creep in there..it dont knock like that every day jus some days it does it some dont..only does it when in high rpm when gas pedel is stuck to floor..and it also seems like when its pinging it aint at full potential...
i did replace wires awhile ago and romped the hell out of it and didnt do it...later that day took it jus for a cruise and it started missing, one fell of and got melted on boot and on wire but not exposed..what do yall suggest?? change wires and seal that sensor? and hopefully that'll fix it.......cant really explain sound but pretty close to what i explaind...i did to try to recode sound but car in general is to loud...:>...
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: trouble shooting

Your timing is advanced to far.
Eventually you will burn a hole in a piston if you leave it that way.
I would reset the timing to less advance as soon as possible.
Try 2 degrees less than what it is now.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
mystang50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,201
Re: trouble shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Your timing is advanced to far.
Eventually you will burn a hole in a piston if you leave it that way.
I would reset the timing to less advance as soon as possible.
Try 2 degrees less than what it is now.
no i dont think so...it did it befor we advance it...didnt advacne it too far
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: trouble shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
no i dont think so...it did it befor we advance it...didnt advacne it too far

Yes it is advanced to far.
What you are hearing is detonation or preignition of the fuel mixture.
If you advanced it even more, then you made it worse.
Even 1-2 degrees can make a difference.
Your car do what you wish.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
mystang50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,201
Re: trouble shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Yes it is advanced to far.
What you are hearing is detonation or preignition of the fuel mixture.
If you advanced it even more, then you made it worse.
Even 1-2 degrees can make a difference.
Your car do what you wish.
if timing was to far wouldnt it do it all the time??
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
jhagan1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 648
My $ is on TH. He's pretty sharp.
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: trouble shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
if timing was to far wouldnt it do it all the time??
Not necessarily.
Different air temperature and humidity levels could make enough difference.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: trouble shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagan1980 View Post
My $ is on TH. He's pretty sharp.

Thanks for the support.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Beav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Kansas
Posts: 565
Re: trouble shooting

I agree, it is too far advanced. There is no way you should have advanced the timing when it was already pinging. Pinging will eventually destroy an engine, you really need to solve this...

T M has given you excellent advice...
__________________

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: trouble shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav View Post
I agree, it is too far advanced. There is no way you should have advanced the timing when it was already pinging. Pinging will eventually destroy an engine, you really need to solve this...

T H has given you excellent advice...
Thanks for the verification and backing me up.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Your timing is advanced to far.
Eventually you will burn a hole in a piston if you leave it that way.
I would reset the timing to less advance as soon as possible.
Try 2 degrees less than what it is now.
I agree it's too advanced (I did that with my mustang but disnt have a timing light so set it by ear bad idea i know then it started making similar noise so I out premium in it and it stopped just been too lazy to bring it back down) You can have other bad things happen then just burn a hole in the piston!!
__________________
1994 Mustang GT
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
There should be marks, line them back up... Like.. Last year!! You'll be shopping rebuild kits soon...
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A/C trouble Exodus1021 2011-2014 Mustang GT 2 10-12-2011 04:09 PM
DTC Trouble MustangMafia97 1996-2004 Mustang GT 11 10-02-2011 09:31 PM
Rear end trouble Dgerow12 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 15 09-08-2011 04:59 AM
Display pic trouble shazzsk89 General Car Discussion 1 08-20-2011 11:04 AM
Engine trouble! 99ford 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 7 08-03-2011 12:52 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:24 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.