Mustang Evolution Forum banner

E7 heads or Gt40 heads?

34K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  93slowstang 
#1 ·
Alright, I plan on bustin a hondas ass. I'm not sure what can I have in my car. But it's an early 80s 5.0 that was converted to a roller motor. I've got 1.72 roller rockers on it. The early 80s motors didn't have e7 heads, but that's what the previous owner put on the car. So my question is...should I go with gt40 heads over the e7s? I know the gt40 heads are better and I can pick them up off of an old explorer in a junk yard. But I know the combustion chambers and stuff on the two heads are different. So what do y'all think I should do?

#2 ·
e7 heads have 69cc cumbustion chambers. so basicly u got enough room to run a like a "x" cam (.542 lift) with no modifications to the pistons. and i think a bit larger than that if u wanted. also, u could run up to 14-15 degrees of base timing.

gt40 heads have 57 or 58cc cumbustion chambers. your limited on cam selection, like under .529 lift cause the cumbustion chambers are smaller. however, u could get pistons with deeper valve reliefs if u wanted to run a larger cam. on the upside, u will have a bit more compression which will give u a few horses. but u cant run more than 12 degrees of base timing or those puppies will start pingn.

hope this info helps your selection

#3 ·
svtlx said:
e7 heads have 69cc cumbustion chambers. so basicly u got enough room to run a like a "x" cam (.542 lift) with no modifications to the pistons. and i think a bit larger than that if u wanted. also, u could run up to 14-15 degrees of base timing.

gt40 heads have 57 or 58cc cumbustion chambers. your limited on cam selection, like under .529 lift cause the cumbustion chambers are smaller. however, u could get pistons with deeper valve reliefs if u wanted to run a larger cam. on the upside, u will have a bit more compression which will give u a few horses. but u cant run more than 12 degrees of base timing or those puppies will start pingn.

hope this info helps your selection
Yeah. It does. Thanks. But I don't know what cam is in it, so I can't tell.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

What about these?

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/2592527997.html

#5 ·
not a bad deal at all.

u can put the heads on, clay the pistons, and see if the valves touch. if they do, u need a smaller cam.

also, if u got name brand headers they wont fit those heads. all of those cheaper $100 ebay headers will fit. or u could spend 225 on sum bbk swap headers. i got sum stainless steel ones for $110shipped... they r waay better than my ceramics and dont warp.

just thought i would mention the headers. ask the guy selln the heads if he's got headers to fit those heads

#11 ·
I used GT40P heads before with BBK Long tubes for regular 5.0 heads , and they DO WORK , just 1 spark plug on each head is a little hard to get too , I think I had to use a wrench to get them out because a socket hit the tubes , but you can get them out with a wrench :good:

#6 ·
deadsp0t said:
Where you at in NC?
I'm in rock hill sc.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

svtlx said:
not a bad deal at all.

u can put the heads on, clay the pistons, and see if the valves touch. if they do, u need a smaller cam.

also, if u got name brand headers they wont fit those heads. all of those cheaper $100 ebay headers will fit. or u could spend 225 on sum bbk swap headers. i got sum stainless steel ones for $110shipped... they r waay better than my ceramics and dont warp.

just thought i would mention the headers. ask the guy selln the heads if he's got headers to fit those heads
Alright then.

#8 ·
93slowstang said:
Gt40 heads- approx 65cc
Gt40p- approx 59-61cc

I run bbk shorty headers on my p heads with no clearance problems except on #7 cyl. And that's not too bad.
I have the same heads and I'm running the cheap summit brand shortys and I have the same clearance issue which isn't a big deal.they sell high heat wire booties or a nice wire seperator job can cure the problem.

#9 ·
dreamstang said:
I have the same heads and I'm running the cheap summit brand shortys and I have the same clearance issue which isn't a big deal.they sell high heat wire booties or a nice wire seperator job can cure the problem.
I only paid 100 for mine off CL which made my wallet happy because I was about to order a set of new ones.

#12 ·
stampde said:
I used GT40P heads before with BBK Long tubes for regular 5.0 heads , and they DO WORK , just 1 spark plug on each head is a little hard to get too , I think I had to use a wrench to get them out because a socket hit the tubes , but you can get them out with a wrench :good:
also have to watch for the wires sitting on headers but not a big deal

#16 ·
93slowstang said:
I had some, they just didn't grip the plugs tight and shifted. I use the mad wires with straight ends and one I ordered with a 90 for cyl 7 with a heat shield on it.
You could alway just squeeze the end of the wire a little bit with plyers and it should tighten up.
The mad wires come with the heat shield on them already? If so that would be nice.I may look into that.

#17 ·
dreamstang said:
You could alway just squeeze the end of the wire a little bit with plyers and it should tighten up.
The mad wires come with the heat shield on them already? If so that would be nice.I may look into that.
No I bought it separate.

#19 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.