E7 heads or Gt40 heads? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Qwik Four Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 882
E7 heads or Gt40 heads?

Alright, I plan on bustin a hondas ***. I'm not sure what can I have in my car. But it's an early 80s 5.0 that was converted to a roller motor. I've got 1.72 roller rockers on it. The early 80s motors didn't have e7 heads, but that's what the previous owner put on the car. So my question is...should I go with gt40 heads over the e7s? I know the gt40 heads are better and I can pick them up off of an old explorer in a junk yard. But I know the combustion chambers and stuff on the two heads are different. So what do y'all think I should do?
Qwik Four Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: E7 heads or Gt40 heads?

e7 heads have 69cc cumbustion chambers. so basicly u got enough room to run a like a "x" cam (.542 lift) with no modifications to the pistons. and i think a bit larger than that if u wanted. also, u could run up to 14-15 degrees of base timing.

gt40 heads have 57 or 58cc cumbustion chambers. your limited on cam selection, like under .529 lift cause the cumbustion chambers are smaller. however, u could get pistons with deeper valve reliefs if u wanted to run a larger cam. on the upside, u will have a bit more compression which will give u a few horses. but u cant run more than 12 degrees of base timing or those puppies will start pingn.

hope this info helps your selection
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Qwik Four Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
e7 heads have 69cc cumbustion chambers. so basicly u got enough room to run a like a "x" cam (.542 lift) with no modifications to the pistons. and i think a bit larger than that if u wanted. also, u could run up to 14-15 degrees of base timing.

gt40 heads have 57 or 58cc cumbustion chambers. your limited on cam selection, like under .529 lift cause the cumbustion chambers are smaller. however, u could get pistons with deeper valve reliefs if u wanted to run a larger cam. on the upside, u will have a bit more compression which will give u a few horses. but u cant run more than 12 degrees of base timing or those puppies will start pingn.

hope this info helps your selection
Yeah. It does. Thanks. But I don't know what cam is in it, so I can't tell.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

What about these?

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/2592527997.html
Qwik Four Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blb97stang

Yeah. It does. Thanks. But I don't know what cam is in it, so I can't tell.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

What about these?

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/2592527997.html
Where you at in NC?
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: E7 heads or Gt40 heads?

not a bad deal at all.

u can put the heads on, clay the pistons, and see if the valves touch. if they do, u need a smaller cam.

also, if u got name brand headers they wont fit those heads. all of those cheaper $100 ebay headers will fit. or u could spend 225 on sum bbk swap headers. i got sum stainless steel ones for $110shipped... they r waay better than my ceramics and dont warp.

just thought i would mention the headers. ask the guy selln the heads if he's got headers to fit those heads
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Qwik Four Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Where you at in NC?
I'm in rock hill sc.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
not a bad deal at all.

u can put the heads on, clay the pistons, and see if the valves touch. if they do, u need a smaller cam.

also, if u got name brand headers they wont fit those heads. all of those cheaper $100 ebay headers will fit. or u could spend 225 on sum bbk swap headers. i got sum stainless steel ones for $110shipped... they r waay better than my ceramics and dont warp.

just thought i would mention the headers. ask the guy selln the heads if he's got headers to fit those heads
Alright then.
Qwik Four Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Gt40 heads- approx 65cc
Gt40p- approx 59-61cc

I run bbk shorty headers on my p heads with no clearance problems except on #7 cyl. And that's not too bad.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
Gt40 heads- approx 65cc
Gt40p- approx 59-61cc

I run bbk shorty headers on my p heads with no clearance problems except on #7 cyl. And that's not too bad.
I have the same heads and I'm running the cheap summit brand shortys and I have the same clearance issue which isn't a big deal.they sell high heat wire booties or a nice wire seperator job can cure the problem.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

I have the same heads and I'm running the cheap summit brand shortys and I have the same clearance issue which isn't a big deal.they sell high heat wire booties or a nice wire seperator job can cure the problem.
I only paid 100 for mine off CL which made my wallet happy because I was about to order a set of new ones.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Can't beat that!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
stampde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manalapan
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,880
Re: E7 heads or Gt40 heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
not a bad deal at all.

u can put the heads on, clay the pistons, and see if the valves touch. if they do, u need a smaller cam.

also, if u got name brand headers they wont fit those heads. all of those cheaper $100 ebay headers will fit. or u could spend 225 on sum bbk swap headers. i got sum stainless steel ones for $110shipped... they r waay better than my ceramics and dont warp.

just thought i would mention the headers. ask the guy selln the heads if he's got headers to fit those heads
I used GT40P heads before with BBK Long tubes for regular 5.0 heads , and they DO WORK , just 1 spark plug on each head is a little hard to get too , I think I had to use a wrench to get them out because a socket hit the tubes , but you can get them out with a wrench
__________________
2011 GT Auto
stampde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde

I used GT40P heads before with BBK Long tubes for regular 5.0 heads , and they DO WORK , just 1 spark plug on each head is a little hard to get too , I think I had to use a wrench to get them out because a socket hit the tubes , but you can get them out with a wrench
also have to watch for the wires sitting on headers but not a big deal
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

also have to watch for the wires sitting on headers but not a big deal
It is when you melt 3 sets...
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

It is when you melt 3 sets...
I haven't melted any yet.get some high heat wire protectors.lol.or the 90* wire ends work better.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
I had some, they just didn't grip the plugs tight and shifted. I use the mad wires with straight ends and one I ordered with a 90 for cyl 7 with a heat shield on it.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #16
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
I had some, they just didn't grip the plugs tight and shifted. I use the mad wires with straight ends and one I ordered with a 90 for cyl 7 with a heat shield on it.
You could alway just squeeze the end of the wire a little bit with plyers and it should tighten up.
The mad wires come with the heat shield on them already? If so that would be nice.I may look into that.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

You could alway just squeeze the end of the wire a little bit with plyers and it should tighten up.
The mad wires come with the heat shield on them already? If so that would be nice.I may look into that.
No I bought it separate.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #18
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

No I bought it separate.
ah.
something like this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...P7HSJ5X0SCQR44
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Yes except mine is white and most autoparts stores sell them in pairs. here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1701059220.png
Views:	2448
Size:	904.9 KB
ID:	33781  
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cylinder heads 89white GT 1979-1995 Mustang GT 15 09-13-2011 11:12 AM
Can you put Cobra heads on a GT Mustang? FORDGT14 1996-2004 Mustang GT 12 09-13-2011 11:06 AM
Cumbustion chamber size Mustang1968kr 1979-1995 Mustang GT 2 08-23-2011 12:51 PM
Best Heads For An 02 GT 504 Stang Rida 1996-2004 Mustang GT 5 08-21-2011 04:21 PM
got some new heads cam question workmail21 1979-1995 Mustang GT 6 07-11-2011 10:09 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



04:39 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.