Fox found - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
If you want a good cheap upgrade get the maf housing off of an sn95 mustang and use your meter in it. Cost me 5 bucks from the junkyard and works great. You would have to buy an adapter to go from the housing to the intake as well.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
If you want a good cheap upgrade get the maf housing off of an sn95 mustang and use your meter in it. Cost me 5 bucks from the junkyard and works great. You would have to buy an adapter to go from the housing to the intake as well.
Question: aren't the 96-04 housings bigger then 94-95?
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Question: aren't the 96-04 housings bigger then 94-95?
Yes, mine is off of an 02 gt. Not sure but I think the v6 maf, housings are close to the same size as the 4.6 gt's.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

Yes, mine is off of an 02 gt. Not sure but I think the v6 maf, housings are close to the same size as the 4.6 gt's.
Cool, maybe an upgrade I'll look into. Ty.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jpstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

Yes, mine is off of an 02 gt. Not sure but I think the v6 maf, housings are close to the same size as the 4.6 gt's.
Other than the housing and sensor, what else is needed to make the conversion.
Jpstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
This adapter, I got mine from a local speed shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2012137926.png
Views:	57
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	32837  
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jpstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
This adapter, I got mine from a local speed shop.
Thx for all the help . I'm going to look into it. Does anything have to be done to the computer.
Jpstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpstang

Thx for all the help . I'm going to look into it. Does anything have to be done to the computer.
Nope.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Nope.
+1
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jpstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Nope.
Would a maf sensor off a 91 mustang 4cyl work? Found a guy parting his car out. O guess all I would need is the sensor and the harnest from the sensor.
Jpstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Just realized something, what year is your car? It looks like it is a speed density system car.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Didn't realize it's an 88. You need a maf sensor from a 90-93 5.0 mustang. I don't believe the 4cyl sensor will work. You also need a computer from the 90-93 5.0 car as well to convert to a maf system. You can use a 94-up mustang maf housing off of any model v6 or v8 as an upgrade as well.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jpstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
Just realized something, what year is your car? It looks like it is a speed density system car.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Didn't realize it's an 88. You need a maf sensor from a 90-93 5.0 mustang. I don't believe the 4cyl sensor will work. You also need a computer from the 90-93 5.0 car as well to convert to a maf system. You can use a 94-up mustang maf housing off of any model v6 or v8 as an upgrade as well.
Another newbee question, where's the computer on the car. I know another guy parting out a 90 5.0 but doesn't know anything about them.probably get a great deal
Jpstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #48
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
There are a couple different maf wiring harnesses, make sure you grab the right one. Check your plug ins on the driversside(main harness plug/plugs) and also down by the computer. I've heard of people just getting the maf pigtail and wiring it into the harness and using a maf computer with no probs. Granetelli sells a pigtail kit for under $100 bucks which comes with instructions on how to install. I had it on my 87 gt for a while until I found a factory 89 maf harness that was a direct plug n play for 50 bucks. you can normally find meters all over but like others have said make sure you select the right one for your application.
EDIT: the computer is tucked between the car and the passenger side dash, remove the passenger kick panel and a 10mm socket and rachet to get the plug off the computer. Then you should be able to just pull the computer down and out. Can't remember if there's another small screw you need to take out to slide the comp out or not.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX
There are a couple different maf wiring harnesses, make sure you grab the right one. Check your plug ins on the driversside(main harness plug/plugs) and also down by the computer. I've heard of people just getting the maf pigtail and wiring it into the harness and using a maf computer with no probs. Granetelli sells a pigtail kit for under $100 bucks which comes with instructions on how to install. I had it on my 87 gt for a while until I found a factory 89 maf harness that was a direct plug n play for 50 bucks. you can normally find meters all over but like others have said make sure you select the right one for your application.
EDIT: the computer is tucked between the car and the passenger side dash, remove the passenger kick panel and a 10mm socket and rachet to get the plug off the computer. Then you should be able to just pull the computer down and out. Can't remember if there's another small screw you need to take out to slide the comp out or not.
Yes there is one the holds the computer in the bracket that has to come out before you can take the harness off.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jpstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

Yes there is one the holds the computer in the bracket that has to come out before you can take the harness off.
Awesome thx guys
Jpstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Here is a link to help you out
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...n/viewall.html
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
got my first fox body!! 88foxstang 1979-1995 Mustang GT 18 09-16-2011 11:41 PM
best 4 eyed fox. 82stang224 1979-1995 Mustang GT 16 08-06-2011 10:08 PM
little problems in the fox. 82stang224 1979-1995 Mustang GT 10 07-29-2011 07:11 PM
Looking at trading the fox Qwik Four Six FYI Ads | Recently Listed 13 07-14-2011 12:36 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:53 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.