Mustang cutting off - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Re: Mustang cutting off

Its an in tank fuel pump, and it has a toggle switch to cut it on and off... whats a good fuel pump? Could i go back with a factory fuel pump, or an aftermarket electric one? Which one out of these should i get? Not looking to break the bank, but i want a good quality fuel pump. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...&storeId=10151
Qwik Four Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #37

Region: Florida
That link brought up the search form but not the actual pump, but if your engine is mostly stock or maybe a couple bolt ons, I would just go with a stock Walbro (or whatever other brand Advanced or Autozone is selling). You can also get slightly higher output intank pumps for not a whole lot more money if you feel it is necessary but a stock replacement will probably work just fine.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

2 other things:

1. How old are your wires? If they are over a year I would still change them.

2. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? I'd tap the line and check it under load to see if a fuel pressure drop is actually what is happening before investing in a pump and going through the work of dropping the tank.

And one more obvious tip, if you are dropping the tank, try to do it with as little gas in there as possible cause of the weight.
JVINCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Curious as to how your set up is done with an in tank pump. Either way I have read in several places that the Holley blue pump is the one to get for efi to carb set ups. You definitely need a fuel pressure gauge if you don't already have one.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #39
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
Curious as to how your set up is done with an in tank pump. Either way I have read in several places that the Holley blue pump is the one to get for efi to carb set ups. You definitely need a fuel pressure gauge if you don't already have one.
More than likely just ran through an adjustable fuel regulator mounted on the firewall or inner fender then the line running into the carb, possibly with a blockoff plate where the block fuel pump would be unless it's the efi engine whereas the hole was never cast into the block. It's pretty easy to do actually.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
The blue is the bomb! Comes with the regulator and all!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #41
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

The blue is the bomb! Comes with the regulator and all!
It's priced well to.I plan on getting it for my s/c install.I haven't used one but I think it will keep up.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. And yeah, the link was for you guys to tell me which you think i should get? Ill look into the holley blue if you guys think it would do good for my setup. How much do they run? Im getting a new fuel pump wednesday. The plug wires were on the car when i got it last year in december, so theyre probably a little more than a year old or maybe 2 years, but they looked clean and kinda new back then. I also need to change it from a 735 cfm to about a 650, is what i heard.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

And im pretty sure its an in tank pump...maybe mounted on the top of the tank, havent looked yet. But i think its an in tank pump.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

And also...my car was originally a 4 cylinder, then had about a 82-85 motor put in. And those already came carbed.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

What should the gph be? Im seeing holley blue fuel pump 70 gph pumps, 110 gph pumps, etc.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #43
Road Trip!

The 110 is pretty big but that is what I'm gonna use.the 70 will keep up with a pretty good size n/a motor.
The 110 runs about 125 give or take with regulator.
I'm not sure on the 70.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
The 110 is pretty big but that is what I'm gonna use.the 70 will keep up with a pretty good size n/a motor.
The 110 runs about 125 give or take with regulator.
I'm not sure on the 70.
Price is kind of a concern for me because the fuel pump is going to be a birthday present. And also, when i do get a fuel pressure gauge, what other gauge should i get? I want to get an a-pillar gauge pod for it, not the kind that goes below the heat and ac controls.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

1979-93 Mustang 2 1/16" Single Gauge Pillar Pod by ProPod at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
Auto Meter Pro-Comp Ultra-Lite Mustang Fuel Pressure Gauge - Mechanical at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

How are these?
Old 10-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

I wouldn't run a fuel pressure gauge inside of the car. It could be a dangerous idea if it starts to leak. I would get a cowl with gauge pods and run it there.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #46

Region: Florida
Just get a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone for testing purposes (I think they may even have one for free with their loaner program), it's not the same style gauge as you see installed in cars like an Autometer, it's more of a tool. That way you don't have to go through the expense of installing a permanent gauge if money is tight right now. That will at least give you an idea if the pump is where your problems are originating. Also, the plug wires can go bad from the inside, not necessarily the outside so they may look ok at first glance while still having an issue.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Also, I think that the factory 5.0 efi pump was 88 liters per hour and those cars were 225 hp so that will give you a roughy idea of your fuel needs. Remember, people run the stock pump with some bolt-ons so it will be adequate up to at least 250-275 I'd say. Anyone else is welcome to weigh in on pump size to hp requirements as I'm not an expert in that department.
JVINCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #47
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVINCE
Just get a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone for testing purposes (I think they may even have one for free with their loaner program), it's not the same style gauge as you see installed in cars like an Autometer, it's more of a tool. That way you don't have to go through the expense of installing a permanent gauge if money is tight right now. That will at least give you an idea if the pump is where your problems are originating. Also, the plug wires can go bad from the inside, not necessarily the outside so they may look ok at first glance while still having an issue.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Also, I think that the factory 5.0 efi pump was 88 liters per hour and those cars were 225 hp so that will give you a roughy idea of your fuel needs. Remember, people run the stock pump with some bolt-ons so it will be adequate up to at least 250-275 I'd say. Anyone else is welcome to weigh in on pump size to hp requirements as I'm not an expert in that department.
Nope, they won't loan you a fuel pressure gauge, I've tried and they told me no, at least that's around here might be different elsewhere who knows

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 10-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #48
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
I wouldn't run a fuel pressure gauge inside of the car. It could be a dangerous idea if it starts to leak. I would get a cowl with gauge pods and run it there.
I agree, that's just to dangerous.

You could get an isolator for the mechanical gauge or an electric fuel gauge for in car use, but they are considerably more expensive than just a mechanical gauge.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I changed the fuel pump.. It would still cut off after 1-3 minutes of running, took it up the driveway and when I was coming back down, it started to like jump, so I just put it in neutral, and when I parked it, I let it run for about 5 minutes, sounded fine. Cut it off, cranked right back up. Buy it's still acting up. My dad tapped on the carb while it was running, incase the floats might be sticking or I'd there's trash in there. Maybe need to rebuild the carb? Any more ideas?
I've now replaced:
-distributor cap
-rotary button
-fuel pump
-fuel filter
Old 11-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

I took some videos today to show what its doing. Watch them and let me know what you think. It has a new fuel pump/assembly, fuel filter, distributor cap, and rotary button. Cleaned and checked all the plugs. And its still doing it.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Strange indeed. Any other symptoms? Test the battery and alternator? Almost seems like its losing electrical power.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #52
Pete Jones
Regular

That is definately odd. Do you smell a lot of gas fumes once you do that and it dies?

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 11-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #53
Road Trip!

what about the coil?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Strange indeed. Any other symptoms? Test the battery and alternator? Almost seems like its losing electrical power.
Yeah I know. And we've checked the battery and alternator. They're good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX
That is definately odd. Do you smell a lot of gas fumes once you do that and it dies?
Well...yeah. But it's no more gas then I've smelled before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
what about the coil?
Thought about that. Not sure if it's bad or not.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #55
Road Trip!

your either losing fuel or spark. a coil is pretty cheap.doesnt hurt to get a new one anyways.you can even pick up an msd one at autozone cheap.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
your either losing fuel or spark. a coil is pretty cheap.doesnt hurt to get a new one anyways.you can even pick up an msd one at autozone cheap.
+1! You are probably using a vacuum distributor, but if not a faulty ignition mod on the distributor can cause issues like this. Bad/loose grounds are also a source of problems like this.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Alright. Ill look at those. Msd or pertronix? My dads cousin is a mechanic and he's coming tomorrow or either Monday to look at it. He thought at first that the fuel pump wasn't supplying fuel. So now that we've replaced the fuel pump, he thinks it could be the carb. Maybe the jets sticking?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blb97stang
Alright. Ill look at those. Msd or pertronix? My dads cousin is a mechanic and he's coming tomorrow or either Monday to look at it. He thought at first that the fuel pump wasn't supplying fuel. So now that we've replaced the fuel pump, he thinks it could be the carb. Maybe the jets sticking?
Jets may be clogged. Floats can stick. Cleaning jets should be pretty straight forward. MSD will always be my choice if given a choice have been using there ignition parts for a long time and have never had an issue. Pertronix maybe fine too but I have never used them. Maybe someone else could chime in on that.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

We bought a fuel pump and assembly for 110 because the little red piece on the return line on my original assembly fell off and got stuck in the tank...and we also bought just a fuel pump for 106. I'm taking the fuel pump back tomorrow and gettin the 106 back and going to buy a coil. Opinions on accel super stock coils? That's what I have on there now. Idk if they have msd. I didn't see msd on the site for advance auto parts.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
We bought a fuel pump and assembly for 110 because the little red piece on the return line on my original assembly fell off and got stuck in the tank...and we also bought just a fuel pump for 106. I'm taking the fuel pump back tomorrow and gettin the 106 back and going to buy a coil. Opinions on accel super stock coils? That's what I have on there now. Idk if they have msd. I didn't see msd on the site for advance auto parts.
The advance auto here sells MSD. And they actually stock a lot of their parts. I have met ppl that swear by Accel parts, personally don't have much exp with them. My 87 had a n Accel coil but I changed it to MSD. You distributor has a vacuum advance not electronic?

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

They may not want to take back the fuel pump being its an electrical part. If you put an in tank pump down in gas then remove it the evaporating gas can ruin the seals in the pump.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

It was never in the gas. Lol. And yes, it's a vacuum.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
It was never in the gas. Lol. And yes, it's a vacuum.
Good! Should be ok. They may still hassle you about an electrical return.!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

I'll just put em in a headlock and demand a refund.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #64
Road Trip!

did you ever get that fuel pressure gauge?that will definately help eliminate a few things.
here is a way to test coils http://autorepair.about.com/od/troub...l-test-ohm.htm

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Quote:
I'll just put em in a headlock and demand a refund.
sometimes it takes a good headlock to get things done.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Yep lol. That link helps alot. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

It's fixed. It was the coil. Went to the store..had 33 dollars in gas in it..and it was all pouring out of the hole for the float. So I came home..jacked it up..gotta go back tomorrow and get another float assembly. The seal was leaking.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #67
Road Trip!

Glad to hear!
Old 11-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #69
Road Trip!

No problem.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Glad to hear its back up and going.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT