Mustang cutting off - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Mustang cutting off

Alright, my car just started doing this about a week ago. The other day after school...i cranked my car up, let it sit there, and then knocked the choke off of it after about a minute like always. And i was going somewhere, id been driving it for about 5 minutes, and then it just cut off at the red light while idling. I tried to crank it back and it would turn over and run for maybe a half second, if that. So i sat there for about ten seconds, and it finally cranked when i tried it again. I revved it to about 2000-2500 and it was kinda sputtering also. Its carbed. And today it cut off again after i knocked the choke off of it. I tried cranking it again, and it wouldnt crank. So i sat there for about a minute and then it cranked. And it sputtered again while i held it at about 2000. My dad said its probably the fuel filter going into the carb. Ive had it since last december so im guessing that could be it. What do you guys think?
Qwik Four Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Mustang cutting off

Yes your dad is probably right, it sounds like you are running out of fuel.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, took the fuel line off of the car, and there isnt a filter going into the carb. So im guessing its a factory fuel filter?

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Yeah, i took his word for it. But i was just getting other suggestions lined up incase that wasnt it.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

So ites either a fuel filter more than likely, because even when i get on it, it barely sputters and then it gets up and goes. But he was also telling me his 69 z28 used to do the same thing. It'd be sitting there and then it'd just cut off, and wouldnt crank back until a few minutes later. Turns out it was a loose wire on his started. It would turn over, but it was just a loose power wire. So its probably the fuel filter or maybe the power wire? The fox bodies came with a factory fuel filter along the frame or something, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blb97stang View Post
Okay, took the fuel line off of the car, and there isnt a filter going into the carb. So im guessing its a factory fuel filter?

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Yeah, i took his word for it. But i was just getting other suggestions lined up incase that wasnt it.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

So ites either a fuel filter more than likely, because even when i get on it, it barely sputters and then it gets up and goes. But he was also telling me his 69 z28 used to do the same thing. It'd be sitting there and then it'd just cut off, and wouldnt crank back until a few minutes later. Turns out it was a loose wire on his started. It would turn over, but it was just a loose power wire. So its probably the fuel filter or maybe the power wire? The fox bodies came with a factory fuel filter along the frame or something, right?
Yes, they came with a filter located right in front of the fuel tank.
The carb may have a sintered bronze filter located behind the fitting the fuel line screws into.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Yes, they came with a filter located right in front of the fuel tank.
The carb may have a sintered bronze filter located behind the fitting the fuel line screws into.
There's a filter where the fuel line goes into, when you look into the carb. But he said that's not it. It's a vertical filter and it doesn't even filter all the gas because it's really small and gas could go around.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
There's a filter where the fuel line goes into, when you look into the carb. But he said that's not it. It's a vertical filter and it doesn't even filter all the gas because it's really small and gas could go around.
The sintered filter on the carb (if that is what it has) is backed up by a spring.
If you let it get totally plugged up the fuel pressure will eventually overcome the spring and you will end up with all kinds of debris getting pumped into your carb, which can cause no end of problems.

If you have a regular filter that screws into the carb, then gas should not be able to "go around" it.

Can you get some pics of what you have?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The sintered filter on the carb (if that is what it has) is backed up by a spring.
If you let it get totally plugged up the fuel pressure will eventually overcome the spring and you will end up with all kinds of debris getting pumped into your carb, which can cause no end of problems.

If you have a regular filter that screws into the carb, then gas should not be able to "go around" it.

Can you get some pics of what you have?
Tomorrow. Yes.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Are you still using the factory in tank electric fuel pump? (yes the factory 4 cylinder electric pump will run a 5.0 with a adjustable regulator)I saw in your profile it's a 4 cylinder converted to 5.0, there should be a filter right in between the tank and the rear axle. Also check all your grounds to make sure none as loose or just hanging there.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't get pics today. But I'm not sure..haven't checked the fuel pump. It does have a toggle wired to it though. I believe it's an aftermarket one?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Pete Jones
Regular

Do you have a return line hooked up? If not you could be burning your pump up. What's your fuel pressure when it's running fine and then what is it when it starts messing up?

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 10-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Didn't get pics today. But I'm not sure..haven't checked the fuel pump. It does have a toggle wired to it though. I believe it's an aftermarket one?
If the toggle switch is wired direct, there is a good chance that the switch is defective and loosing contact.
Wiring through a switch directly is never a good idea.
They cannot withstand the constant current flow and heat up leading to failure.
They should always be used with a relay that has contacts rated for the amperage draw of the load that is placed on them.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yes but that doesn't make sense for this situation. It just started doing it after owning it ten months. And it basically only does it when it runs for like 10 minutes or less.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yes but that doesn't make sense for this situation. It just started doing it after owning it ten months. And it basically only does it when it runs for like 10 minutes or less.
Well, it would be easy to test.
Next time it does that check for voltage on both sides of the switch.

I had one (50A) direct wired to an electric fan once that had that problem.
It was really erratic and didn't really follow any sequence of events.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well, it would be easy to test.
Next time it does that check for voltage on both sides of the switch.

I had one (50A) direct wired to an electric fan once that had that problem.
It was really erratic and didn't really follow any sequence of events.
Well..I'd have to take the panel off that's above your knees. And screws are holding it on and I probably won't have time. Lol
Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well..I'd have to take the panel off that's above your knees. And screws are holding it on and I probably won't have time. Lol
Then, prepare for it beforehand by removing the panel, take out the switch and let it dangle or fasten it temporarily to something else.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It shouldn't just do it when it idling if it's the toggle. It should do it even while going. But come to think of it, when I had to take all they off this past weekend to get the cluster out...it started doing it. I had everything off of the dash, I connected the toggle, and went to the end of my driveway to see if the cable was spinning, and while sitting at the top of my driveway idling, it did it for the first time. Wouldn't crank back. So I let it roll back into my garage, which took about 20 seconds, and it cranked fine. A connection may be loose though on the toggle.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

You definitely have a loose connection or something similar happening.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You definitely have a loose connection or something similar happening.
Yeah. I'll check it out this weekend.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Any luck??
Old 10-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well, yesterday i took the plugs out, cleaned them, and put them back in, checked the wires on the starter, and its still doing it. So today i bought a new distributor cap and rotor button, put them on, cleaned the contacts on the plug wires, and still.....it cranks up...and it runs a bit rough when i hold the gas down, and it idles for about 5 seconds and then dies. Its a carbed car, what else can it be? Fuel filter, fuel pump?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #21
Pete Jones
Regular

Check your fuel pressure, also since it was converted before you got it, make sure there's a return line hooked up(think you can by a regulator with that option on it) else if it is your FP, you might burn up the next one as well. If u want start by changing the fuel filter between the axle a tank. That don't do it, check your fuel pressure. Also probably wouldn't hurt to check your fuel inertia switch. Could be messing up as well.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 10-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Fuel inertia switch? Wheres that? I dont think my fuel pump is burning up... I cranked it up tonight and had my brother stand in front of it while the hood was up and they said they saw a spark... And him and my dad are pretty smart on cars, so since ive done everything else...the next thing im gonna do is replace the 8mm plug wires with ford racing 9mm ones.. Maybe the silicone inside melted and is causing a shortage. Im changing plug wires and im gonna check fuel filter next. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

So now im guessing it HAS to be the old 8mm plug wires. Theyre a few years old and i think the silicone inside has melted and started shorting out inside the wire. Waiting to get some money to get new plug wires, and a new coil/ignition wire.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blb97stang
So now im guessing it HAS to be the old 8mm plug wires. Theyre a few years old and i think the silicone inside has melted and started shorting out inside the wire. Waiting to get some money to get new plug wires, and a new coil/ignition wire.
You really need to do the filter first, if the wires were shorting out it would run rough under throttle and idle fine for the most part.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #25
Pete Jones
Regular

If you lived closer I could have given you a set of 8mm wires that were only on my car for maybe 2 months before I put my gt40p heads on and had to switch to 90 degree msd's

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 10-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
You really need to do the filter first, if the wires were shorting out it would run rough under throttle and idle fine for the most part.
Thats what it does.....

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
If you lived closer I could have given you a set of 8mm wires that were only on my car for maybe 2 months before I put my gt40p heads on and had to switch to 90 degree msd's
Oh. Lol. Dang. Im still gonna switch to 9mm ones.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Okay, i checked the ground wires on the starter, cleaned the spark plugs, installed a new distributor cap and rotoary button, and installed a new fuel filter. It cranks up, idles, and runs rough when you give it the gas.. The only other thing i could think of that it would be is the plug wires. Im replacing those next. It just started doing this when i took part of the dash out, and when i took the cluster out. But its carbed...so there arent really any wires that go to the cluster or to the bezel that controls how it runs. Maybe a wire came loose from my ignition switch or maybe ones loose. Ever since i took the cluster out...its ran rough and only got worse. What are some good brand reliable 9mm plug wires? Also, any other ideas of what it can be?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Bump. Help. Refer to previous post. ^
Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Help..
Old 10-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

No need for the 9mm wires. But if you're set on them the ford racing wires will work and they are around $40 from AM.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
No need for the 9mm wires. But if you're set on them the ford racing wires will work and they are around $40 from AM.
+1
Old 10-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Yeah, i heard the 9mm ones were better than the 8mm ones. But yeah, those were the wires i was looking at getting.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blb97stang

Yeah, i heard the 9mm ones were better than the 8mm ones. But yeah, those were the wires i was looking at getting.
That doesn't always hold true with wire size. Go to jegs and look at the descriptions of the different wires. They have 7mm wires that are better than most, but you pay for it.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #33
Road Trip!
Supporter

Larger diameter wires are "supposed" to offer more insulation to prevent arcing or crossfiring.
However the quality of the wire usually has more to do with that than the thickness of the insulation.
I always look for good quality wires that offer the lowest ohm per foot rating as possible. The lower ohm ratings allow the wire to more efficiently transfer the power to your spark plug.

The last set I bought are the Thundervolt 50 plug wires, but have not installed them yet so I cannot truthfully vouch for their quality or efficiency.
They look good on paper, but real world will put them to the ultimate test.

MSD also makes a low ohm plug wire. I have used their wires in the past and they always held up and performed well.

I have also used the Ford Racing plug wires. They are considerably cheaper than other brands and they do work well. However I have found that they do "break down" (deteriorate) quicker than other name brands when exposed to high underhood temperatures.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #34

Region: Florida
In Florida I have to replace my wires every 6 months or so with the heat. It causes the exact annoying problem you are mentioning. I would suspect the timing of removing the cluster is just a coincidence. Good luck!
JVINCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, i talked to my one of my cousins whos a mechanic, and he described the problem before we even said anything...and he said its the fuel pump not pushing out enough pressure when the cars running.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT