starting slow - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
starting slow

Now that I have actually been driving my car it has a slow starting issue.I thought I had it fixxed .before I had a header leak that was pointed right at the starter.I fixxed that and it seemed to be fine.now that I've been driving it further distances the stupid demon is back.not as bad as it used to be.anyways I'm pretty sure its the ground wire.there is only 1 wire hooked up to the starter in the back.there is what looks to be a ground hooked to a bolt on the bell housing side but its not hooked up to anything else.so my question is can I just hook that wire to a chasis bolt.or should I run a nice new wire from the battery?thanx in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111017_164555.png
Views:	84
Size:	554.4 KB
ID:	33167   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111017_164629.png
Views:	89
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	33168  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111017_164652.png
Views:	79
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	33169   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111017_164709.png
Views:	77
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	33170  

dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Oh yeah,it starts great when its cold.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: starting slow

You should have a battery ground directly to the engine and another to the body or frame from the engine.
The hard starting when it gets hot sounds like your starter windings are going bad or your exhaust is heating up the starter.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
I do have a both of those grounds. The battery to engine ground I even just recently replaced.I just wasn't sure if the starter needed its own.
That was my suspicion since it only does it when its hot.the problem improved after I fixxed my header leak but didn't fix.
It always still starts it just cranks slower when warm.
Thanx again TH
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: starting slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I do have a both of those grounds. The battery to engine ground I even just recently replaced.I just wasn't sure if the starter needed its own.
That was my suspicion since it only does it when its hot.the problem improved after I fixxed my header leak but didn't fix.
It always still starts it just cranks slower when warm.
Thanx again TH
You're Welcome
The slow cranking when warm means the windings are going.
The header leak probably damaged the winding's insulation and now whenever the starter heats up they are shorting out.
Do you have the newer model (94-95 I think) "mini" starter?
If not that's what I would replace it with.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You're Welcome
The slow cranking when warm means the windings are going.
The header leak probably damaged the winding's insulation and now whenever the starter heats up they are shorting out.
Do you have the newer model (94-95 I think) "mini" starter?
If not that's what I would replace it with.
no i dont.i have the big one.i think its still the factory or factory replacement one.i definatly want to put the small one on.it will have more header clearance and be easier to install.that top bolt is a mother to get off the starter especially with shorty headers.my last round and it when i did the clutch the top bolt was stripped out and i had a heck of a time getting it off.i finally used a flexible die grinder attachment and was barely able to get it cut off.when i pulled the bell housing out i extracted it then.i almost thought about replacing it then.now i kick my self in the but.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: starting slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
no i dont.i have the big one.i think its still the factory or factory replacement one.i definatly want to put the small one on.it will have more header clearance and be easier to install.that top bolt is a mother to get off the starter especially with shorty headers.my last round and it when i did the clutch the top bolt was stripped out and i had a heck of a time getting it off.i finally used a flexible die grinder attachment and was barely able to get it cut off.when i pulled the bell housing out i extracted it then.i almost thought about replacing it then.now i kick my self in the but.
That's always the way. Hindsight is always 20/20 they say.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starting problem chuck andres 1979-1995 Mustang GT 13 10-11-2011 08:24 AM
Starting issues GunMetalBullet 2005-2010 Mustang GT 6 08-06-2011 11:24 PM
Different Starting Problems milkrun49 2011-2014 Mustang GT 3 07-15-2011 03:19 PM
Starting Issues bradh2414 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 25 07-14-2011 09:43 PM
Starting my hunt for my next mustang! sonic04edge General Mustang Discussion 16 07-12-2011 08:03 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:08 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.