stroker kits - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
stroker kits

Just wondering what's the biggest stroker kit u can buy for a 302 and where is a good place to buy from?
workmail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Re: stroker kits

DSS , 363 ci I believe
Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
DSS , 363 ci I believe
Won't work with a standard 302 block though.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

347 for a stock block.
Look on our site sponsor's websites for pricing.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Cool thanks but another question if I was to get that big of a kit can I still run my gt40p heads or would I have to change them over and what else would I need besides the kit?
Mostly looking at if its better to buy a kit and build my motor or buy a crate motor already done
Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

depends on what kinda HP your trying to make , ultimately gt40p heads would hinder any real HP #'S , They're probably good for 325-350 HP tops
Old 10-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
depends on what kinda HP your trying to make , ultimately gt40p heads would hinder any real HP #'S , They're probably good for 325-350 HP tops
Buy the stoker kit. It's wayyyyy cheaper. My 347 made 417 rwhp NA. As for rwhp numbers for your GT40p heads, I recommend getting them ported n polished run a decent intake n cam and you could put down around 350 rwhp.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So whould the trickflow toped kit work with the big of a stroker kit or would that need special work? What would be the best heads to run?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by workmail21
So whould the trickflow toped kit work with the big of a stroker kit or would that need special work? What would be the best heads to run?
Yes it will work. I run trick flow intakes with a port n polish. AFR heads with a "mild"polish and a custom made can buy Trickflow
Old 10-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So my best options is get the kit and new heads which is still cheaper than a crate motor thanks guys ur a big help im thinking about buying a new raw block too
Old 10-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yup you'll save thousands man

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Maybe throw some forged internals of you have the money just incase you decide to put some boost to it
Old 10-19-2011, 12:06 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by workmail21 View Post
So my best options is get the kit and new heads which is still cheaper than a crate motor thanks guys ur a big help im thinking about buying a new raw block too
If you are wanting to SC/TC later, consider getting the Boss 302 block and the forged internals.
Then you will have a bottom end that will handle almost anything you want to throw at it.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
lRS sells the budget blocks.i new they had the regulars internals really cheap,but recently slowstang had mentioned that they have a budget block with forged internals.http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Forged-Pistons .that block with a good top end kit and or s/c or turbo would be a great combo to make some good safe hp.then you could use the rest of the parts off your motor. would be relativly cheap. just my 2 cent.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:21 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
lRS sells the budget blocks.i new they had the regulars internals really cheap,but recently slowstang had mentioned that they have a budget block with forged internals.1979-95 Mustang 5.0L 302 Economy Short Block with Forged Pistons, Accepts Roller Cam at LRS - Same Day Shipping! .that block with a good top end kit and or s/c or turbo would be a great combo to make some good safe hp.then you could use the rest of the parts off your motor. would be relativly cheap. just my 2 cent.
They really should not advertise that block as being suitable for forced induction.

Quote:
The cylinder bores are machined the minimum amount to bring them in to spec, between .030" & .060". All bores will be the same
size. If a cylinder cannot be bored back to true, then a sleeve will be
installed so that the block can still be serviceable.

**This engine is considered a performance application and is not covered by any manufacturer's warranty.**
That last bit in bold should serve as a reliability Warning! and boring a stock 5.0 block to .060 is just not recommended because it weakens the block considerably.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

They really should not advertise that block as being suitable for forced induction.

That last bit in bold should serve as a reliability Warning! and boring a stock 5.0 block to .060 is just not recommended because it weakens the block considerably.
+1
where I'm from any over .030 is junk and more trouble then it's worth, being new blocks are cheap and junk yard motors are are cheap.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So if I don't plan any turbo or s/c this block would b ok for a stroker kit and build?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:55 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by workmail21 View Post
So if I don't plan any turbo or s/c this block would b ok for a stroker kit and build?
No. It is a short block assembly.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:

So I cannot vouch for this block because I have never used it.I agree that 60 over is to much.they say 30 and 60 over blocks.how do you know which one your getting?at 30 over it should still be better than a stock block with forged internals.30 over pistons come with most striker kits right?.I also agree that the block is still the same as stock and 60 over is to much.with a 30 over version of this block you would still not agree to low boost forced induction?also main stud and valley girdles are relativly cheap.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
So I cannot vouch for this block because I have never used it.I agree that 60 over is to much.they say 30 and 60 over blocks.how do you know which one your getting?at 30 over it should still be better than a stock block with forged internals.30 over pistons come with most striker kits right?.I also agree that the block is still the same as stock and 60 over is to much.with a 30 over version of this block you would still not agree to low boost forced induction?also main stud and valley girdles are relativly cheap.
You wouldn't know what you are getting until it arrives on your doorstep.
If you could be assured of getting a .030 block then it may be ok for low boost applications.
The only "forged" components I saw were the pistons. They are using a stock reground crankshaft and likely the stock rods too, so it is not an ideal "boost" compatible package and I wouldn't by any means say it is "better" than a stock block with forged internals. A stock block with "forged internals" would have the pistons, rods and crankshaft forged which makes it a better, stronger engine for forced induction purposes.

The way they highlight, "**This engine is considered a performance application and is not covered by any manufacturer's warranty.**" causes me some concern about the build quality and quality of the components used. This is nothing against LRS, but who knows who the builder is? I have just seen too many junk engines turned out over the years by remanufacturers to blindly trust any of them.

The main and valley girdles are going to cost you around $500 if you use the DSS main girdle system and the Valley Girdle Pro. Which is roughly 1/3 of the cost of this shortblock.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:

You wouldn't know what you are getting until it arrives on your doorstep.
If you could be assured of getting a .030 block then it may be ok for low boost applications.
The only "forged" components I saw were the pistons. They are using a stock reground crankshaft and likely the stock rods too, so it is not an ideal "boost" compatible package and I wouldn't by any means say it is "better" than a stock block with forged internals. A stock block with "forged internals" would have the pistons, rods and crankshaft forged which makes it a better, stronger engine for forced induction purposes.

The way they highlight, "**This engine is considered a performance application and is not covered by any manufacturer's warranty.**" causes me some concern about the build quality and quality of the components used. This is nothing against LRS, but who knows who the builder is? I have just seen too many junk engines turned out over the years by remanufacturers to blindly trust any of them.

The main and valley girdles are going to cost you around $500 if you use the DSS main girdle system and the Valley Girdle Pro. Which is roughly 1/3 of the cost of this shortblock.
That sux you wouldn't actually know what your getting until you recieve it.it seem like a marketing gimmick. Thanx for turning the light on.an inexperienced shade tree like myself thought that looked like a good deal.I guess the saying "you get what you pay for"comes to mind.

---------- Post added at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 AM ----------

So, where does the extra 1000$ come in over the standard budget block if your only getting forged pistons extra?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
That sux you wouldn't actually know what your getting until you recieve it.it seem like a marketing gimmick. Thanx for turning the light on.an inexperienced shade tree like myself thought that looked like a good deal.I guess the saying "you get what you pay for"comes to mind.

---------- Post added at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 AM ----------

So, where does the extra 1000$ come in over the standard budget block if your only getting forged pistons extra?
That's for Ben.
You know Ben don't cha'?

Ben Dover

That's called a "Polishing the Turd" deal.
If it looks or sounds good enough someone will buy it even though it stinks.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:

That's for Ben.
You know Ben don't cha'?

Ben Dover

That's called a "Polishing the Turd" deal.
If it looks or sounds good enough someone will buy it even though it stinks.
Haha , that's a good one.ill keep an eye out for polished turds from now on.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Myth busters proved a turd can be polished to a pretty decent shine!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Lmao .the did to.literally.I'm sure it still stunk though.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #25
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Lion poop if I remember correctly!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT