throttle cable? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

Region: Canada
throttle cable?

Hey guys, this is gonna be a very noob question. It's my first mustang, so I don't have a clue. It could be because I'm learning manual in the car as well. Anyways to the point now, when I go into first gear and move the car, I find it very hard to do it smoothly, the car always jumps everytime I go into first gear, is the pedal suppose to feel very tight when I press it? Sorry guys I know its a very bad question.
88foxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: throttle cable?

you probably have an aftermarket clutch which is stiffer and harder to learn as there is a much smaller gap in between neutral and in gear fully vs a stock style clutch. It will take getting sued to. The jumping is mainly due to not enough gas, try a bit more gas even though the rpms will be higher you can learn the sweet spot.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88foxstang View Post
Hey guys, this is gonna be a very noob question. It's my first mustang, so I don't have a clue. It could be because I'm learning manual in the car as well. Anyways to the point now, when I go into first gear and move the car, I find it very hard to do it smoothly, the car always jumps everytime I go into first gear, is the pedal suppose to feel very tight when I press it? Sorry guys I know its a very bad question.
Are you talking about the throttle or the clutch?

The title says "throttle cable", but your post sounds more like a "clutch" issue.

If you are talking about the throttle cable, then it may have a bur on it or be pinched somewhere.
If you are talking about the clutch then SpectorV has you covered.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #4

Region: Canada
It's more of the throttle cable I'd think because I find it Very hard to push down the gas pedal, its tighter than usual, maybe its suppose to be like that? No matter what when I start off in first gear my car literally launches because its very hard to push lightly on the pedal. It is my first mustang and I'm not used to it because I used to drive an Integra.

I'm thinking its the cable but maybe its something else?
88foxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88foxstang View Post
It's more of the throttle cable I'd think because I find it Very hard to push down the gas pedal, its tighter than usual, maybe its suppose to be like that? No matter what when I start off in first gear my car literally launches because its very hard to push lightly on the pedal. It is my first mustang and I'm not used to it because I used to drive an Integra.

Check your cable return spring.
Maybe someone installed one that is to heavy.

Moving up to a more powerful car and learning to drive a manual at the same time will take a bit of learning and adjustment.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

I had a problem with this when i got mine, it would suck and i would look stupid. I just stuck it out and became one with my clutch. I just learned to cope with it, but i also knew that nothing was wrong with mine. Also i have a hurst shifter. Now i can do my cluch/gas combo so good it wont do that.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88foxstang

I know what you're talking about...mine does the same thing and I've driven standards my whole life! I think it's the throttle cable but not sure yet as I haven't had time to check into it.
On mine it feels like you have to put like 15lbs of pressure on the gas peddle just to get it to move and and went it does move it's real choppy, feels like it's hanging on something. Shifting from first to second letting off the gas doesn't drop the rpm's like it should either so I'm almost positive it the throttle cable!!!
86gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

open the hood and manually open/close the throttle body if its tight or not easy there is your problem else is in the cable some where
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT