Finally got to the track =( - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Thumbs down Finally got to the track =(

Well I got to the track finally and I wasnt to happy with my times it went 14.0 @98.9 1.9 60ft I told to a couple friends and they said that doesn't seem right know it an auto but I expected better then that
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
What was the mods again, I think you had some heads and a cam huh?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Finally got to the track =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang.racr View Post
What was the mods again, I think you had some heads and a cam huh?
My mods are listed in my signature but I have gt40x heads e cam 4.10s built aod 30lb injectors 76mm maf 4.10 gears full exhaust
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Oh okay. Yeah I'm on phone now I figured you would go atleast 13.40s, atleast
Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
It to me like you just need some practice, those times dont sound right for those mods
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shsfresh87 View Post
It to me like you just need some practice, those times dont sound right for those mods
I have bin to the track many times I am leaving at 3,000rpms hooking
Old 10-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I don't know what to tell ya
shsfresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Do you have good tires and or suspension? It's seems like you wouldn't hook leaving at 3000 w/ 4.10s unless you do.maybe you need a good tune.1.9 isn't terrible but it could be a little better.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Are you manually shifting or are you just leaving it in drive or OD?

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
Are you manually shifting or are you just leaving it in drive or OD?
@dreamstang i was using brand new et streets
@90mustanglx i was manually shifting what rpms u think i can bring it to
Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue

@dreamstang i was using brand new et streets
@90mustanglx i was manually shifting what rpms u think i can bring it to
your car quits making power at about 5250. i wouldnt go past that or youll be losing power.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
Pete Jones
Regular

Are you doing the trick with the aod where you go from 1st to drive(let it shift to 2nd) then pull it back down to first(you will still be in second and can build your rpms) then when your ready to shift to third throw it back up into drive? Remember tho, you lose time even if your on the redline and almost to the end of the track by shifting it, best to keep it in the gear until you roll past the beams then shift it up.( dunno how fast it builds rpms tho since I have yet to install my 4.10s)
EDITh and hes about right, I have a stock cam in my car but past 5500 it just feels like it's falling on it's nose so I try to shift it under 5500, plus it makes my engine sound like it's about as tight as it wants to go for the time being heh.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you doing the trick with the aod where you go from 1st to drive(let it shift to 2nd) then pull it back down to first(you will still be in second and can build your rpms) then when your ready to shift to third throw it back up into drive? Remember tho, you lose time even if your on the redline and almost to the end of the track by shifting it, best to keep it in the gear until you roll past the beams then shift it up.( dunno how fast it builds rpms tho since I have yet to install my 4.10s)
EDITh and hes about right, I have a stock cam in my car but past 5500 it just feels like it's falling on it's nose so I try to shift it under 5500, plus it makes my engine sound like it's about as tight as it wants to go for the time being heh.
yea i did the aod trick and i was shifting around 5300
Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well I think it's time to go with a t-5 swap for next season I talk to a couple people with my set up and a 5 speed and he went high 12's so I will start to save and pick up everything bit by bit
Old 10-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well I think it's time to go with a t-5 swap for next season I talk to a couple people with my set up and a 5 speed and he went high 12's so I will start to save and pick up everything bit by bit
What stall do you have?you should be able to launch hard and drop your 60' time with the right stall.its debatable but if you plan in going real fast like low 12s or better,you are probably gonna be better with the auto.if not yeah I agree put the t5 in there.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
What stall do you have?you should be able to launch hard and drop your 60' time with the right stall.its debatable but if you plan in going real fast like low 12s or better,you are probably gonna be better with the auto.if not yeah I agree put the t5 in there.
I have a 3,000 stall converter
Old 10-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:

I have a 3,000 stall converter
That seem about right.hopefully the t5 does the trick.it seems like you got it setup right now though.good luck with the swap.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

SHIFT THAT BI*CH at 6 Grand and stop being a Pu*** Joe
Old 10-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #19
Pete Jones
Regular

I'm running a bigger intake, cai, bbk shorties, h pipe and flows, gt40p heads, stock cam, stock injectors, slipping aod with a shift kit. I was running 15.1 at 94-96 mph manually shifting mine. 60ft was 2 something if I'm remembering right but was told by a guy that races all the time that putting in 4.10s and a 2500 stall would knock off about a second and a half from the time(wether he's right idk). With your setup I would think you would be at least in the mid to low 13s.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 10-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm running a bigger intake, cai, bbk shorties, h pipe and flows, gt40p heads, stock cam, stock injectors, slipping aod with a shift kit. I was running 15.1 at 94-96 mph manually shifting mine. 60ft was 2 something if I'm remembering right but was told by a guy that races all the time that putting in 4.10s and a 2500 stall would knock off about a second and a half from the time(wether he's right idk). With your setup I would think you would be at least in the mid to low 13s.
Yea I thought I would be in the 13's I did have a sct chip that was dyno tuned. Don't know numbers and the chip on me I had to take it out. But I am considering a t5 swap soon i miss driving sticking down shifting and hammering the gas. Everyone I talk to said they had a huge performance gain when they went 5 speed
Old 10-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #21
Pete Jones
Regular

That's also my plan this winter, I've got everything but a good t5, the one I have 3rd gear is messed up

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 10-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue View Post
Yea I thought I would be in the 13's I did have a sct chip that was dyno tuned. Don't know numbers and the chip on me I had to take it out. But I am considering a t5 swap soon i miss driving sticking down shifting and hammering the gas. Everyone I talk to said they had a huge performance gain when they went 5 speed

Have you tried "slingshotting" the convertor on launch?
Bring your RPM's up to about 2K (1K or so less than what your convertor stalls at), then when the lights drop release the brakes and hammer the throttle at the same time. It will take some practice to get the timing just right, but it may help your launch and 60 foot times.

Disregard the tach and shift when you feel the engine quit pulling unless you hit the rev limiter.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's also my plan this winter, I've got everything but a good t5, the one I have 3rd gear is messed up
rebuild that thing i will take a t-5 if the sychros are messed up my buddy owns a trans shop and will rebuild it for free for me
@trojanhorse- no i havent tried slingshotting it though i did think of it when i was at the light today. whats really sad is my car got beat by 90notchback that is stock except x pipe and cat back also was a 5 speed he went the same 1/4 mile time as me. thats why i am leaning towards a t5 swap i can do it no problem at my friends shop its just finding a t5 around here. i think my could wopuld benifit a lot from a 5 speed swap and could get a better e/t
Old 10-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #24
Pete Jones
Regular

Quote:

rebuild that thing i will take a t-5 if the sychros are messed up my buddy owns a trans shop and will rebuild it for free for me
@trojanhorse- no i havent tried slingshotting it though i did think of it when i was at the light today. whats really sad is my car got beat by 90notchback that is stock except x pipe and cat back also was a 5 speed he went the same 1/4 mile time as me. thats why i am leaning towards a t5 swap i can do it no problem at my friends shop its just finding a t5 around here. i think my could wopuld benifit a lot from a 5 speed swap and could get a better e/t
Put it this way, it will go into 3rd just fine. It's the sound it makes when I let out on the clutch I didn't like. Literally sounded like the motor threw a rod through the block it was so loud.

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
Old 10-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #25
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I prefer manual transmissions myself too.
I've just never had much luck with automatics.
To me they are heavy, power robbing, failure prone pieces of equipment.
I saw an article on a new Ford automatically shifted manual transmission a couple of weeks ago. Now that's an idea I could learn to appreciate.

P.S. Somewhere on the net (no idea right now where exactly) I saw a new WC T-5 advertised for $1250. If I run across it again I'll post a link for you.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
I prefer manual transmissions myself too.
I've just never had much luck with automatics.
To me they are heavy, power robbing, failure prone pieces of equipment.
I saw an article on a new Ford automatically shifted manual transmission a couple of weeks ago. Now that's an idea I could learn to appreciate.

P.S. Somewhere on the net (no idea right now where exactly) I saw a new WC T-5 advertised for $1250. If I run across it again I'll post a link for you.
sounds good i bin searching on ebay and craigslist i found a couple on there if they have to be rebuilt or need a little work it doesnt bother me i got big plans for the car next season when winters over build the rear swap out the AOD junk to t5, suspension and if i come across a good enough deal on heads them to. i want my car to be a low 12 second car, now that i dont have a car payment and huge insurance i got the time and money to do it
Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
I got my tremec through autozone, saved on shipping and worrying about getting the core back. You can special order things like that from autoparts stores. After taxes I spent a little over 1300.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

And before you bash me for it I called the distributor to verify...

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
I got my tremec through autozone, saved on shipping and worrying about getting the core back. You can special order things like that from autoparts stores. After taxes I spent a little over 1300.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

And before you bash me for it I called the distributor to verify...
Which Tremec did you get?
Old 10-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
The upgraded tremec t-5 ( 330 ft/lbs) which was good to me. They sent all the documents I requested without a hassle to make sure it was a tremec upgrade vs a standard rebuild.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #30
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
sounds good i bin searching on ebay and craigslist i found a couple on there if they have to be rebuilt or need a little work it doesnt bother me i got big plans for the car next season when winters over build the rear swap out the AOD junk to t5, suspension and if i come across a good enough deal on heads them to. i want my car to be a low 12 second car, now that i dont have a car payment and huge insurance i got the time and money to do it
so u dont have a built aod?.... just an aod? i got a manual valve body 700hp rated aod and its pretty awsome. it dont shift til i tell it to shift.

i got a 25-700 stall converter that flashes at 3k most of the time and i i dont shift out till 6k consistastantly. and i run a 3.45 rear gear.

our set-ups are a bit different, but i would maybe try a manual valve body before swaping over to a t5.

secondly.... what type of suspension are you rockn in the rear?

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx

so u dont have a built aod?.... just an aod? i got a manual valve body 700hp rated aod and its pretty awsome. it dont shift til i tell it to shift.

i got a 25-700 stall converter that flashes at 3k most of the time and i i dont shift out till 6k consistastantly. and i run a 3.45 rear gear.

our set-ups are a bit different, but i would maybe try a manual valve body before swaping over to a t5.

secondly.... what type of suspension are you rockn in the rear?
his car not being built as much as yours. i wouldnt shift at six grand.im sure its not the best on the motor but hes probably gonna start losing power before that.i have seen stock dyno sheets before and the hp drops off a cliff at 5200. i understand that your powerband changes with different mods but all he has is a mild topend.your car is probably built more aggresive than his so it probably does benifit you but it wont benifit him.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #32
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
his car not being built as much as yours. i wouldnt shift at six grand.im sure its not the best on the motor but hes probably gonna start losing power before that.i have seen stock dyno sheets before and the hp drops off a cliff at 5200. i understand that your powerband changes with different mods but all he has is a mild topend.your car is probably built more aggresive than his so it probably does benifit you but it wont benifit him.
actualy, i run ported e7's. standard stroke stock bottom end, and 11psi of boost. same e-303 cam, but i have 1.7 rockers, and my suspension is set-up. just think its more valve body than tranny itself is all im sayn. you can do alot with a built trans

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx

actualy, i run ported e7's. standard stroke stock bottom end, and 11psi of boost. same e-303 cam, but i have 1.7 rockers, and my suspension is set-up. just think its more valve body than tranny itself is all im sayn. you can do alot with a built trans
Agreed.
every engine is different.and the only real way to tell what's best for him is trial and error.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #34
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
just think its more valve body than tranny itself is all im sayn. you can do alot with a built trans
That's very true.
While I'm not a big fan of automatics, the best one I ever owned was a fully built C6 sitting behind a 435 CI engine (bored out 429) in a 69' F150 pickup.

I spent close to $3K on the transmission (mind you this was in the early 80's) which I already owned.
A very good friend of mine helped me build it so the expense was all parts.
We put state of the art (at the time) internals in the trans including hardened shafts, heavy duty clutches and seals, modified governor, etc. etc., and the "piece de' resistance" a fully built manual/auto valve body, all connected with a 3500 RPM 10" stall convertor.

That C6 auto hit the gears like a ton of bricks. With 3.90 gears in the rearend and big ole' mud dawg 38" tall rear tires it would rip off 30-40 feet of rubber when it hit second gear under WOT and 15-20 feet of rubber when it shifted from second to third gear at 95 MPH. Funny thing: Those tires howled like a Coon' Dog when they were spinning.

The trucks glory days saw it just flat outrunning a 70's Vette on the highway (straights only he would catch me in the corners easily) and a fully built 327 Camaro at the strip.

Man I loved that truck back then.
It met its fate one dark, rainy night when the center pin in the rearend broke which ended up locking the rearend up and the truck skidding wildly out of control directly into a telephone pole.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
SHIFT THAT BI*CH at 6 Grand and stop being a Pu*** Joe
lol and yeah I shift my e303 stock headed 5.0 at 6200... Ran a 13.1 on stock 3.08 gears... I was on slicks though...

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT