Just came back from deployment, fuel system may be gummed up, not sure what else - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
Just came back from deployment, fuel system may be gummed up, not sure what else

I just got back from a deployment, and my 95 mustang GT wouldnt start. Found a broken battery terminal, replaced them both. Changed the oil, and found some tranny fluid on the ground under the car. Pulled the tranny dipstick, and there was next to nothing on it. Added a quart, which there was probably a little less than a quart on the ground under the car. Checked the gas tank, its about half full. Added some gumout to the tank. Sprayed inside the throttle body with some throttle body cleaner, car started up, but idles pretty rough, and the exhaust sounds higher pitched, then deeper pitched, constantly going up and down. As the sound of the exhaust goes up and down, the battery indicator behind the steering wheel is barely inside the red line, and going up and down with the sound of the exhaust. I started it up and gave it some gas, and the battery needle went straight up and stayed there, until i let off the gas and then it died on me. This is supposed to be my daily driver, so i need to get it up and running, would really appreciate some help. Thanks alot guys.
Bigblue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Re: Just came back from deployment, fuel system may be gummed up, not sure what else

the ethanol could have given you some problems. If it were me, ...to save headache's I would take it to a shop and just pay the 50 to have it diagnosed. then I would just go ahead and cut right to the chase and fix it myself. I could throw one out there and say it sounds like the voltage regulator and bad fuel system, but again just go get it cheched some ware
bryanbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #3

Yea i was thinking about taking it to pep boys, but i dont think i would make it there driving...i would have to tow it there, then either get it fixed or tow it back and fix it...just wanted to put out there as much info as i could and hopefully someone could say replace this or that, hoped it would be something relatively simple
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
The battery may be bad from sitting but most likely its charging irradicly from the idle.also your fuel may not be to good anymore from sitting for so long.also check your tps and iac.just some quick thoughts.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Just came back from deployment, fuel system may be gummed up, not sure what else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue85 View Post
I just got back from a deployment, and my 95 mustang GT wouldnt start. Found a broken battery terminal, replaced them both. Changed the oil, and found some tranny fluid on the ground under the car. Pulled the tranny dipstick, and there was next to nothing on it. Added a quart, which there was probably a little less than a quart on the ground under the car. Checked the gas tank, its about half full. Added some gumout to the tank. Sprayed inside the throttle body with some throttle body cleaner, car started up, but idles pretty rough, and the exhaust sounds higher pitched, then deeper pitched, constantly going up and down. As the sound of the exhaust goes up and down, the battery indicator behind the steering wheel is barely inside the red line, and going up and down with the sound of the exhaust. I started it up and gave it some gas, and the battery needle went straight up and stayed there, until i let off the gas and then it died on me. This is supposed to be my daily driver, so i need to get it up and running, would really appreciate some help. Thanks alot guys.
1. Fully charge the battery.
2. Put some fresh gasoline in the tank.
3. Drive the car 20-30 miles so the ECU can relearn the operating parameters.

If the battery was disconnected or dead, the ECU was reset and will need time to relearn.
How long did the car sit?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:19 AM   #6

I have been gone for 8 months. My wife said the last time she started it up was maybe june or july. I dont think i could get it to drive 2 or 3 miles let alone 20 or 30, it is idling rough and doesnt sound normal.

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

Will check the tps and iac
Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue85 View Post
I have been gone for 8 months. My wife said the last time she started it up was maybe june or july. I dont think i could get it to drive 2 or 3 miles let alone 20 or 30, it is idling rough and doesnt sound normal.

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

Will check the tps and iac

Pull your plugs and take a look at them.
It's possible that one or more of them fouled when trying to start the car.
Check your plug wires and inspect the distributor cap and rotor for corrosion too.

P.S. Inspect your air filter and intake tract to ensure a mouse or squirrel hasn't made themselves at home.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT