Block question? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Block question?

Got this block cheap and upon disassemble saw this holethat goes through to the timing cover. Is this a crap block or can I still run it like that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1508874608.png
Views:	347
Size:	911.8 KB
ID:	33970
Cm644rodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Block question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm644rodrigues View Post
Got this block cheap and upon disassemble saw this holethat goes through to the timing cover. Is this a crap block or can I still run it like that?

Attachment 33970
Check around the hole carefully for any cracks radiating out from it.
If it looks ok you can clean it up good and patch it with some JB Weld or other good epoxy.
It is not in an area that would jeopardize the strength of the block, so if there are no cracks it should be ok.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island

that hole is completely normal... all, 5.0l blocks have it.
DoubleInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleInfinity View Post
that hole is completely normal... all, and I repeat ALL 5.0l blocks have it.
I researched and they do have holes there, but they are usually closer to the bottom of the lifter valley and more oval or round. They probably serve to drain off excess oil from the lifter valley back into the pan.

There must have been some core slip issues with this block for the hole to be as high and shaped like it is.
Check the freeze plugs on the sides of the block and see how close to centered they are in the bosses cast for them.

Sorry, but it's been over 10 years since I put mine together and I just wasn't thinking properly with my first answer. The hole in that block is located higher than it should be and triangular shaped, so at a glance it appeared to be a broken spot in the block.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm probably gonna get rid of it anyway. It's a e7te truck motor non roller. Picked it up for 50 bucks so I guess on to the next one. Thanks though
Old 11-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm644rodrigues
Well I'm probably gonna get rid of it anyway. It's a e7te truck motor non roller. Picked it up for 50 bucks so I guess on to the next one. Thanks though
You might maybe able to have it repaired at a machine shop for a reasonable fee.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #7

Region: Colorado
Quote:
You can convert a non roller block to a roller block really easy and cheap
mustangtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It is bored .040 over. Will I get same results as I would with a mustang block. I have twisted wedge heads intake and Anderson cam coming.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
It is bored .040 over. Will I get same results as I would with a mustang block. I have twisted wedge heads intake and Anderson cam coming.
.040 is a lot of bore for that block, it can lead to cooling issues. .030 generally where ppl stop.
I wouldn't want to use it for more then a stop gap until I found a block really worth building up. Just my opinion
Old 11-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

.040 wont cause any problems, MANY people successfully run XXX E7TE blocks at .060 overbore.

and like I said, that hole is normal. Its left behind from the casting process and will not cause any issues.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It just doesn't look right. I have the stock 302 in my 87 I may use that but I liked the idea of building a 308. I have all winter so I'll be pulling the stock engine soon.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm644rodrigues View Post
It just doesn't look right. I have the stock 302 in my 87 I may use that but I liked the idea of building a 308. I have all winter so I'll be pulling the stock engine soon.
when you get the old engine out, make sure you take the intake off and check for that hole. It will be there, and then you will feel silly for wasting your time.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleInfinity

when you get the old engine out, make sure you take the intake off and check for that hole. It will be there, and then you will feel silly for wasting your time.
Knowledge through experience, and piece of mind are never a waste of time.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleInfinity View Post
.040 wont cause any problems, MANY people successfully run XXX E7TE blocks at .060 overbore.

and like I said, that hole is normal. Its left behind from the casting process and will not cause any issues.
MANY do and MANY don't.

Once you get past the factory recommended overbore of .030 the strength and integrity of the block becomes suspect because it was never engineered or designed for larger than .030 overbores. My personal experience with a 302 block bored to .060 led to an ill running, constantly overheating waste of money.

If you are doing a high performance build, the block will be subjected to higher than normal cylinder pressures and stresses which the overbored block is even less likely to be able to handle. It just isn't worth taking a chance and risking your other engine parts on doing that when 5.0 blocks are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

IF you are hell bent on doing it anyways, you should at least sonic test the block to ensure you have enough cylinder wall thickness to work with.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
MANY do and MANY don't.

Once you get past the factory recommended overbore of .030 the strength and integrity of the block becomes suspect because it was never engineered or designed for larger than .030 overbores. My personal experience with a 302 block bored to .060 led to an ill running, constantly overheating waste of money.

If you are doing a high performance build, the block will be subjected to higher than normal cylinder pressures and stresses which the overbored block is even less likely to be able to handle. It just isn't worth taking a chance and risking your other engine parts on doing that when 5.0 blocks are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

IF you are hell bent on doing it anyways, you should at least sonic test the block to ensure you have enough cylinder wall thickness to work with.
Rofl @ hell bent... for some reason I found this hilarious. could of used any other choice of words and would have fit your signature "serious, I WILL HELP YOU" attitude. No disrespect intended or implied, just found it funny.

At the guy with the original question, I would listen to mr. trojan. Hasnt failed with advice he's gave me.

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post
Rofl @ hell bent... for some reason I found this hilarious. could of used any other choice of words and would have fit your signature "serious, I WILL HELP YOU" attitude. No disrespect intended or implied, just found it funny.

At the guy with the original question, I would listen to mr. trojan. Hasnt failed with advice he's gave me.
Hahaha! Glad you enjoyed that and Thank you, for your support.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT