Rear end a little funny - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Rear end a little funny

I noticed just by chance yesterday that when I look at the rear of my 95 gt the driver side rear wheel sticks out farther than the pass side. It almost looks like the drivers side has a spacer on the wheel. If I had to guess I would say it's a 1-2 inch difference between the 2. What could cause this? I looked at the diff & it is centered on the car. I checked the rims thinking maybe they had different offsets but they are the same & no wheel spacer. It almost looks like the axle is shifted to 1 side but it's not. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.
BigRed1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Could the car have been hit on one side and not the other? Also try swapping the wheels from side to side. Thinking one side has been hit though. Try tapping lightly with a ring. Bondo or filler will sound dull sheet metal will not. *interested*
Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I will check that out. But to look at the car it doesn't look like it, how could that throw it off that much & if thats the case how can I correct it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Yeah so it my wife's and it's filled with alot of filler
tbonestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I don't even know if this is.possible but could someone have used the wrong axle on one side? You could find center of rear end and then measure to the tires .

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Also if you take the tires off does the hub stick out the same?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
I don't even know if this is.possible but could someone have used the wrong axle on one side? You could find center of rear end and then measure to the tires .

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Also if you take the tires off does the hub stick out the same?
This plus swapping the rims from side to side will help you figure out if the body or the axle or rim is the issue. If the body is the issue I have no idea how to correct it.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

This plus swapping the rims from side to side will help you figure out if the body or the axle or rim is the issue. If the body is the issue I have no idea how to correct it.
Agreed.if all the body lines line up the adjusting fenders or what not will only complicate things.this is a tuff one!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #8

Region: Michigan
Maybe someone replaced a body panel and it sticks out farther or not as mutch
smilymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Rear end a little funny

Just measure the backspacing on each wheel and you won't have to remove them to see if one is deeper than the other.

Also check to be sure your C-Clip hasn't came off of that axle and it's slowly coming out of the rear end.
Just lift that side of the car, make sure it us safely supported and then pull outward on the wheel to see if the axle/wheel comes out any farther.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So I finally took the time to really check things out. I looked in the trunk behind the carpeting & can see that there was damage to the quarter panel. On the outside there is bondo on the outside so I'm thinking that when it was fixed the quarter wasn't pulled out far enough. So now my next question is how am I gonna fix it? I'm not sure if I will be able to pull it out out go to the junk yard & cut a quarter section out & weld it in. I'll be sure to keep you all updated & any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed1781
So I finally took the time to really check things out. I looked in the trunk behind the carpeting & can see that there was damage to the quarter panel. On the outside there is bondo on the outside so I'm thinking that when it was fixed the quarter wasn't pulled out far enough. So now my next question is how am I gonna fix it? I'm not sure if I will be able to pull it out out go to the junk yard & cut a quarter section out & weld it in. I'll be sure to keep you all updated & any suggestions would be appreciated.
I would go to the local junk yard and try to find a new panel.if there is that much Bondo in it its probably not worth messing with.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I would go to the local junk yard and try to find a new panel.if there is that much Bondo in it its probably not worth messing with.

+1 Too much bondo and you will never get it to stop cracking and causing problems.
I don't know where you are located, but my younger brother has a DS 1/4 panel for a 95 Mustang in MO. I can put you in touch with him if you are interested, just PM me.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So I'm gonna start looking for a quarter panel, where should I cut back by the door or just where its dented. should I replace the while panel or just the section thats damaged.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed1781 View Post
So I'm gonna start looking for a quarter panel, where should I cut back by the door or just where its dented. should I replace the while panel or just the section thats damaged.
That really depends upon the amount of damage you have, but from what it sounds like you may need the whole panel to get everything relocated back to its proper place.

You should remove it from exactly where the factory fastened it on.
A spotweld cutter (drill bit) and a chisel should serve to remove it.
You only drill through the old quarter panel, leaving the car's attaching points intact. Then you just grind down the leftover bits and your replacement panel attaches back onto the car in all the proper places with minimal panel warpage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT