Cut out - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
LX5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to LX5011
Cut out

My first problem is after long use periods the car will die and not restart for anywhere up to an hour (its different every time). Problem 2 is at high rpms (5000-6000) and low rpms (idle up to 1500) I have a cut out that somewhat sounds like a misfire. Problem 3 is a jumpy idle, a bit rough but not horrible however at a cold start its almost impossible to stay running. Help?
LX5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Kinda sounds like your fuel pump is going out.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
LX5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to LX5011
I've changed the egr pressure sensor and that seemed to stop the no starts and timing was WAY off but the rest still goes on. I'm changing the fuel filter and pulling the plugs and wires next. The fuel pump seems to be working ok but ill look into that too
LX5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX5011
I've changed the egr pressure sensor and that seemed to stop the no starts and timing was WAY off but the rest still goes on. I'm changing the fuel filter and pulling the plugs and wires next. The fuel pump seems to be working ok but ill look into that too
Mine used to do pretty much what you described as a whole. After the second time my car cut out in traffic I changed it that night and haven't had that problem again.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
LX5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to LX5011
Really? I was hopin for a bad plug or somethin fairly small. I would prolly need to change it anyway if I'm lookin for any real performance right?
LX5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX5011
Really? I was hopin for a bad plug or somethin fairly small. I would prolly need to change it anyway if I'm lookin for any real performance right?
I went through the small things too till that was my last option. If you change it now would be the time to upgrade it. At least you know you would have the fuel supply to support future mods.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
LX5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to LX5011
I really hate to be a parts changer so that's great to know. Did you upgrade or go OEM?
LX5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
wc3john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 692
Re: Cut out

Problem 2 sounds like a distibutor... I'd replace plugs, then wires first. Then cap, if problem STILL persists, change distributor and make sure the gear you pull out of the old one is the same metal type as the one you put in.
__________________


I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
LX5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to LX5011
Good to know but like I said I hate to be a parts changer even if it is only small parts
LX5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
shawnpbigelow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 46
Mine did that and I changed the ignition module and it fixed it.

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

The dieing and not restarting for a while that is.
shawnpbigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
You could use a fuel pressure tester and find out if the fuel pump is cutting off.and in you Haynes or Chilton there should be a procedure for checking the ignition module.also check the coil.and if haven't changed the cap and rotor in a while on the distributor it is a good idea anyways.never hurts to change the fuel filter either.when I am troublshooting something and suspect parts that are cheap and need to be replaced for maintenence reasons anyway I go ahead and start with those.if those parts aren't the problem u could always say you were tuning up not parts changing (;
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
You could use a fuel pressure tester and find out if the fuel pump is cutting off.and in you Haynes or Chilton there should be a procedure for checking the ignition module.also check the coil.and if haven't changed the cap and rotor in a while on the distributor it is a good idea anyways.never hurts to change the fuel filter either.when I am troublshooting something and suspect parts that are cheap and need to be replaced for maintenence reasons anyway I go ahead and start with those.if those parts aren't the problem u could always say you were tuning up not parts changing (;
+1 Haynes and Chiltons both should have procedures for testing most if not all of these suspect parts. I'm don't like changing stuff no reason either, I'd much rather spend my time testing and replacing the bad part. That said 93slowstang knows his stuff and it's likely he is correct. You can change the fuel pump with out dropping the tank by enlarging the hole in the trunk/hatch area to gain access. If you do end up changing the pump I agree with slow stang I would go with an upgrade as it will be good with your current set up and if you do more mods.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

+1 Haynes and Chiltons both should have procedures for testing most if not all of these suspect parts. I'm don't like changing stuff no reason either, I'd much rather spend my time testing and replacing the bad part. That said 93slowstang knows his stuff and it's likely he is correct. You can change the fuel pump with out dropping the tank by enlarging the hole in the trunk/hatch area to gain access. If you do end up changing the pump I agree with slow stang I would go with an upgrade as it will be good with your current set up and if you do more mods.
Yes slowstang does he is most likely right.any testing u can do to help prove that is good though.but hey who wants to drop the gas tank on a guess.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Here's a quick idea. Get a fuel pressure gauge and test it when it starts acting up. With the gauge hooked up and car in park jump the solenoid and take your reading.

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Also check your pressure while it is running as well if you can get a pressure gauge.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
94 Mustang GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX5011
Good to know but like I said I hate to be a parts changer even if it is only small parts
Not a parts changer if: 1) You know it needs it anyway ex plugs, wires, fuel filter etc etc and 2) You plan on keeping it a long time!
__________________
1994 Mustang GT
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
LX5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to LX5011
I like the way you guys think. Thanks, great suggestions your givin me a good weekend project.
LX5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX5011
I like the way you guys think. Thanks, great suggestions your givin me a good weekend project.
Be sure to keep us posted and take pics if you get a chance!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
LX5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to LX5011
Oh for sure
LX5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Also if you have any questions or get stumped you know we will be more than happy to try and help you best we can.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #20
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Good luck man!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
LX5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to LX5011
Thanks. I appreciate it
LX5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
LX5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to LX5011
Good news, I fixed the problems. Problem one was egr pressure sensor, two was spark plugs and wires and 3 was timing
LX5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX5011
Good news, I fixed the problems. Problem one was egr pressure sensor, two was spark plugs and wires and 3 was timing
Always good to hear man! What did you set the timing to?
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
LX5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to LX5011
14
LX5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upholstery Curiosity SleepingStang 1979-1995 Mustang GT 18 11-09-2011 05:22 AM
Mustang lowering Jesse Bach General Car Discussion 4 08-01-2011 01:09 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:11 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.