Starting my t5 swap thread - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Starting my t5 swap thread

Hey what's up ladies and gents I am gonna be swapping a t5 into my car very soon doing the pedal assembly this Friday trans next weekend putting a lightened fly wheel king cobra clutch world class t5. I will
Hopefully be posting some pics. I am hoping the end result is a better 1/4 mile time
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue
Hey what's up ladies and gents I am gonna be swapping a t5 into my car very soon doing the pedal assembly this Friday trans next weekend putting a lightened fly wheel king cobra clutch world class t5. I will
Hopefully be posting some pics. I am hoping the end result is a better 1/4 mile time
Gl with the swap.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Re: Starting my t5 swap thread

I swapped mine a couple of years ago. It was great for the Thunderbird. I also installed an aluminum driveshaft (cut down and balanced Crown Vic cop car piece). Sweetness.
1988 Thunderbird Sport...GT-40P engine, ported heads,Crane Gold 1.7 roller rockers, TFS-1 cam,Cobra intake,24# injectors,Mass Air, 8.8 with 3.55's, BBK headers, Pypes X-Pipe,40 series Flowmasters,3 row radiator,Taurus fan,17x9 and 17x10 10th ann. Cobra wheels,and more.....
Vinnietbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnietbird
I swapped mine a couple of years ago. It was great for the Thunderbird. I also installed an aluminum driveshaft (cut down and balanced Crown Vic cop car piece). Sweetness.
Yea I did the pedals yesterday that was the part I was concerned about I got it done In like 2 hours out and in wasn't that bad I am doing the trans next
Week at my friends tranny shop, so that way I can use the lift.
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

aren't you finished yet Joe ???
Don't for get to put a pilot bearing in !!!!!!
I've done that before ,got the flywheel on and realized i forgot the bearing , go over everything twice ,take your time, don't rush , GET 'ER DONE !!!
Old 11-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
I've done that before ,got the flywheel on and realized i forgot the bearing , go over everything twice ,take your time, don't rush , GET 'ER DONE !!!
No not yet I am doing the trans next week can't wait to be hammering the gas and dropping gears going down the road
Old 11-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Double check that you have the list of parts ready to go. Pilot bearing,the two replacement bolts at the top of the bell housing (the other aod bolts will swap,clutch cable,quadrant,and depending on the tranny (if it's used), swap the rear seal now and be done, block plate, The AOD tranny mount will swap over,lower shift boot (you need that), tranny fluid, and then sell the AOD and TV cable to get some funds back.

It took my friend and I about two hours to swap the trannys out. The AOD removal took more time than installing the T-5. It weighs nothing compared to the AOD.LOL.
1988 Thunderbird Sport...GT-40P engine, ported heads,Crane Gold 1.7 roller rockers, TFS-1 cam,Cobra intake,24# injectors,Mass Air, 8.8 with 3.55's, BBK headers, Pypes X-Pipe,40 series Flowmasters,3 row radiator,Taurus fan,17x9 and 17x10 10th ann. Cobra wheels,and more.....
Old 11-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I am getting all parts of a donor car I already swapped my pedals has the quadrant and I can use all the bolts from aod bellhousing I am ordering all
New flywheel bolts pilot bearing and pressure plate bolts
Old 11-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue View Post
I am getting all parts of a donor car I already swapped my pedals has the quadrant and I can use all the bolts from aod bellhousing I am ordering all
New flywheel bolts pilot bearing and pressure plate bolts
That's a very good idea.
New bolts are very inexpensive compared to the damage that could be caused by old ones failng. I had an old 73' Maverick that was converted to a manual trans and they had used cheap grade 2 bolts to secure the pressure plate. When they broke it pretty much scrapped the clutch assembly, flywheel and bellhousing. Thankfully nothing came through the floor boards.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I rather do it right the first time u know but I am stoked to get this in I hope it benefits me and my 1/4 mile times
Old 11-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I rather do it right the first time u know but I am stoked to get this in I hope it benefits me and my 1/4 mile times
It's a pretty good bet that it will benefit your 1/4 mile times.
Less weight and less power loss than the auto almost guarantees it.
PLUS, they are a blast to drive!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I also got the trans brace from the donor car is there anything else u think I will need I know I am getting the backing plate, bellhousing, flywheel, got a clutch, cable adjuster, billit quadrant, I am getting new flywheel and pressure plate bolts,
Thing I can reuse from the auto are the bellhousing bolts, driveshaft, and that should be all I need
Old 11-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yea I also got the trans brace from the donor car is there anything else u think I will need I know I am getting the backing plate, bellhousing, flywheel, got a clutch, cable adjuster, billit quadrant, I am getting new flywheel and pressure plate bolts,
Thing I can reuse from the auto are the bellhousing bolts, driveshaft, and that should be all I need
What about the crossmember?
I think (If I remember correctly.) that you can cut the welds loose and reposition it as needed then reweld.
Probably a good idea to change out the fluid too.
Pedal pads in good shape?
I had a clutch pedal with a missing pad smack me in the shinbone once when sidestepping the clutch. Made me almost wet the seat from the pain.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I got a crossmember from a 5speed car and I got the pedals in already
Old 11-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I got a crossmember from a 5speed car and I got the pedals in already
You should be good to go. I can't think of anything you might have left out.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

The top two bell housing bolts for the 5 speed are a different length than the top two from the AOD.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The top two bell housing bolts for the 5 speed are a different length than the top two from the AOD.
So what are u saying they won't fit? Too short to
Long?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

what kind of shift knob are you thinking of?
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk 1
what kind of shift knob are you thinking of?
Stock one is fine
Old 11-15-2011, 05:32 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

IIRC, they were too short. It's been three years, and my memory kind of faded there. I do remember having to run to the parts store for a couple to finish up.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
IIRC, they were too short. It's been three years, and my memory kind of faded there. I do remember having to run to the parts store for a couple to finish up.
Okay then I can just take two from the donor car
Old 11-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I will also be jumping the neutral saftey switch I never parked my other car in gear so it shouldn't be a problem
Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #23
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I will also be jumping the neutral saftey switch I never parked my other car in gear so it shouldn't be a problem
Older cars never had them and for the most part they were not needed.
It's one of those safety things that were implemented to protect people from making stupid mistakes, as we all do from time to time. As long as you can remain constantly aware that the car you are about to start has a manual transmission and follow safe starting practices you will be good to go. Always setting the parking brake should protect you as long as it is in good working condition.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it works great lol u thin k u can brief me on wiring the switch it's just finding the two wires and splicing the right there are four on the trans and find which two are the safety switch
Old 11-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Also the trans is coming out of an 87 mustang would that require and extra parts
Old 11-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Also the trans is coming out of an 87 mustang would that require and extra parts
Shouldnt require any extra parts.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #27
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
Yeah I forgot to use the alignment tool the first go around...derp!..
And I had a hell of a time gettin the old pilot bearing out!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yea it works great lol u thin k u can brief me on wiring the switch it's just finding the two wires and splicing the right there are four on the trans and find which two are the safety switch
I'm not 100% sure on yours, but I always made a jumper wire with ends on it that plugged into the switch plug of the switch on the clutch pedal arm.
If yours is on the transmission you could do the same and just tape it up good to keep out water. That way if you wanted to put it back you could.

The wires on the transmission are likely to be for your back up lights too.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

The safety is on the trans it self it's an automatic there should be 4 wires

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Isn't the safety switch on the automatic transmissions like in the trans it's self atleast that's the impression.i am under
Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #30
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Yeah I forgot to use the alignment tool the first go around...derp!..
And I had a hell of a time gettin the old pilot bearing out!..
For future reference:

You can install a clutch disk without an alignment tool if you don't have one handy. Just lightly tighten the pressure plate bolts until the clutch is held into position, but you can still move it with your hands. Then feel all the way around the pressure plate for the clutch and move it until it is roughly the same distance from the edge all the way around. Tighten the pressure plate and you should have it pretty well centered. It's worked for me dozens of times.

To easily remove a pilot bearing, find a punch or cut the threads off of a suitable sized bolt with a long shoulder with a diameter close to the inside diameter of the pilot bearing. Fill the cavity behind the pilot bearing and out to the edge of the pilot bearing with grease. Insert the punch or bolt and give it a few whacks with a large hammer. The pilot bearing should pop right out from the hydraulic force generated.
Might not be a bad idea to hold a rag around the punch or bolt to keep from getting splattered too. If your bolt or punch is too small you can wrap a rag or some tape around it for a better seal.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #31
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
The safety is on the trans it self it's an automatic there should be 4 wires

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Isn't the safety switch on the automatic transmissions like in the trans it's self atleast that's the impression.i am under
Yes it is I forgot you were doing a swap.
Let me see if I can find some wiring diagrams so we can be sure to get the right wires.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #32
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

For future reference:

You can install a clutch disk without an alignment tool if you don't have one handy. Just lightly tighten the pressure plate bolts until the clutch is held into position, but you can still move it with your hands. Then feel all the way around the pressure plate for the clutch and move it until it is roughly the same distance from the edge all the way around. Tighten the pressure plate and you should have it pretty well centered. It's worked for me dozens of times.

To easily remove a pilot bearing, find a punch or cut the threads off of a suitable sized bolt with a long shoulder with a diameter close to the inside diameter of the pilot bearing. Fill the cavity behind the pilot bearing and out to the edge of the pilot bearing with grease. Insert the punch or bolt and give it a few whacks with a large hammer. The pilot bearing should pop right out from the hydraulic force generated.
Might not be a bad idea to hold a rag around the punch or bolt to keep from getting splattered too. If your bolt or punch is too small you can wrap a rag or some tape around it for a better seal.
the grease route was what I did..my prob was finding a punch to fit..i ended up jamin lots of grease soaked paper towel pieces in there so it did the same job just cut down on the grease blowing by..
And I could've gotten away with not using the alignment tool but I already had it and its just that much easier!...well for me atleast!..

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Have you any pics of this process yet?..id love to see some!..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #33
Road Trip!
Supporter

Here's some info and pics that will help.

AOD to T5 Swap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.0 Mustang Ign Diagram.jpg
Views:	1481
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	34516   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.0 Mustang Manual Trans Neutral_Circuit.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	34517  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.0 Mustang Neutral Saftey & Back up Diagram.JPG
Views:	3441
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	34518   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.0 Mustang Neutral Safety Jumper.jpg
Views:	2773
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	34519  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf AOD_Trans_Schematic_2011.pdf (373.7 KB, 873 views)
Old 11-18-2011, 02:06 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Okay so what wires got to get jumped for this to work I need colors to colors lol I've bin looking online but no
One has a clear cut way to do it
Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #35
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Okay so what wires got to get jumped for this to work I need colors to colors lol I've bin looking online but no
One has a clear cut way to do it
The picture I posted shows red wires in the dash to the left of the steering column (see the enlarged view to the right of the pic). Just doublecheck to be sure you have the correct wires.
Or you can jumper the wires at the sensor on the transmission I suppose.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT