TPS adjstment? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
TPS adjstment?

One article says .90 to .95 volts.. Another says .98 to .99 volts Does anyone know for sure which one of these is correct?
Tj88mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: TPS adjstment?

You need to see around .95-.99 volts in the throttle closed position and around 5.0 volts in the WOT position.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

With just the ignition on right? I put it at .98 .99 closed with the ignition on.. is testing it at wot necessary if it is I'll do it .. Should I reset the idle also? Or do you think I might have a hidden vacuum leak. It's running ok it still searches for idle intermittently. Btw already replaced iac,TPS, and cleaned throttle body..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj88mustang View Post
With just the ignition on right? I put it at .98 .99 closed with the ignition on.. is testing it at wot necessary if it is I'll do it .. Should I reset the idle also? Or do you think I might have a hidden vacuum leak. It's running ok it still searches for idle intermittently. Btw already replaced iac,TPS, and cleaned throttle body..
Yes, with the ignition key turned on.
It is a simple matter to check it at WOT.
Just open the throttle to WOT by hand while you are reading the voltmeter.

Here is what my Mustang Performance book says.

Quote:
Once you have your voltmeter connected, loosen the two screws securing the TPS and turn the ignition switch to the "RUN" position.
Carefully rotate rotate the TPS (This is assuming that you have an adjustable TPS or you have modified the stock one.) until the desired voltage reading is achieved. (Usually between .98V to 1.5V.), then tighten the screws.
Sometimes you will have to loosen the screws and try again as the TPS will often shift when tightening the screws throwing off the setting.

The exact voltage you adjust your TPS to will require experimentation.
Fuel pressure, injector size, camshaft overlap and virtually every other engine modification has a considerable effect on the TPS setting.
It is best to start out with a setting of .998 volts, then experiment.
Small adjustments go a long ways, so test in small increments, generally .05 volts at a time.
Remember to readjust the setting every time you make a significant engine modification.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks you have been a God send I truly appreciate all your help...
Old 11-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks you have been a God send I truly appreciate all your help...
No problem, I enjoy being able to help fellow Mustang owners.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
You need to see around .95-.99 volts in the throttle closed position and around 5.0 volts in the WOT position.
WOT does not need to see 5.0 volts. In my experience, setting the TPS close to 1v has caused idle surge and stalling issues. The ACTUAL range is 0.7v-1.0. When I tune cars, I prefer to split the difference and set them between .8v and .9v. This leaves some "wiggle room" for voltage fluctuation, which can cause a car to actually register a TPS voltage that is too high for "base voltage".
DoubleInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleInfinity

WOT does not need to see 5.0 volts. In my experience, setting the TPS close to 1v has caused idle surge and stalling issues. The ACTUAL range is 0.7v-1.0. When I tune cars, I prefer to split the difference and set them between .8v and .9v. This leaves some "wiggle room" for voltage fluctuation, which can cause a car to actually register a TPS voltage that is too high for "base voltage".
You want it under 1.00 but specs call for as close to .97-.98 as possible. Go any lower than .9 and you start affecting wot voltage which isn't good. Btw wot voltage should be in the neighborhood of 4.5-4.6 volts. You should never see 5v unless you're hitting the 5v source wire.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleInfinity View Post
I understand that.
Go back and read my entire post.
It says "around 5.0 volts" and another parts says "The exact voltage you adjust your TPS to will require experimentation."

What works for you on your car may not necessarily work on everyone's car, hence "in your experience" that is what works for you.

The trick is to find what works best with your individual combination.
There are no set values that work perfectly for every car.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Right now I have it at .98 .99v. And it still has a little surge I am adjusting in .2 volt increments... How many miles if any should I get in between adjustments to let the ECM learn
Old 11-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Right now I have it at .98 .99v. And it still has a little surge I am adjusting in .2 volt increments... How many miles if any should I get in between adjustments to let the ECM learn
Well that may be debatable.
Previously everything I had read said 20-30 miles for the ECU/ECM to relearn, but I read recently in my Mustang Performance book that the ECU/ECM learns and adapts very quickly (a few minutes or even less).
So with that in mind it may only take minutes to see a change.

Until I find more or better information and/or experience it myself, I kind of agree with the ECU being able to learn very quickly. It would have to, to be able to adjust for the frequent changes in day to day operating conditions and scenarios.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Have any of you actually seen the code in the CBAZA strategy? WOT is not designated by a certain voltage. The ecm reads the TPS voltage at the time the key is turned on, that value is then stored in the memory. WOT is then triggered when the TPS voltage is increased by a value of 3.13v (j4j1). This value is adjustable and can be set by tuning the ecm.

To the writer with the surge. Set your TPS back near .9v and perform a full and proper base idle reset. I'd bank on the surge going away.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Base idle reset steps?
Old 11-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Posting from my phone ATM... Google: joel5.0 base idle
Old 11-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Here's the steps to reset: http://mustang.blogsome.com/2005/10/...le-adjustment/

Old 11-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

the only problem with that "article" is that setting your base idle to anything other than factory spec, which is around 575-600 RPM, can cause idle hang, stalling, and surge.

ESPECIALLY in the SN-95 cars (like mine)
Old 11-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I still have to do the resistor configuration to bypass the EGR tonight/tomorrow once that is done I'll try these to see if it cleans up the idle. I'll repost on here to let you guys know how it goes.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
the only problem with that "article" is that setting your base idle to anything other than factory spec, which is around 575-600 RPM, can cause idle hang, stalling, and surge.

You can set it wherever you prefer, I've seen them both high and low rpms mentioned from reputable sources.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
You can set it wherever you prefer, I've seen them both high and low rpms mentioned from reputable sources.
setting the RPM higher than factory spec will cause the car to learn that at idle, it uses zero IAC duty cycle. When taking your foot off the gas at higher RPM's, this can cause the car to stall out.

Stop reading magazines, and listen to the people who do this for real.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Have any of you actually seen the code in the CBAZA strategy? WOT is not designated by a certain voltage. The ecm reads the TPS voltage at the time the key is turned on, that value is then stored in the memory. WOT is then triggered when the TPS voltage is increased by a value of 3.13v (j4j1). This value is adjustable and can be set by tuning the ecm.

To the writer with the surge. Set your TPS back near .9v and perform a full and proper base idle reset. I'd bank on the surge going away.
Quote:

I've never seen the code. Is it available somewhere and can you make sense of it without some type of decoder?

What you are saying makes sense, but I have a hard time understanding why this info is just now coming to light.
I have literally read hundreds of articles, bought numerous books and researched high and low for information and I have never ran across any explanations similar to yours.

I also can't understand why the EEC-IV would have so much trouble adapting to a difference of a few hundred RPM, when it is so adaptable in other ways.

If you have further information, I would love to see it.

Thanks,
TH
Old 11-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
setting the RPM higher than factory spec will cause the car to learn that at idle, it uses zero IAC duty cycle. When taking your foot off the gas at higher RPM's, this can cause the car to stall out.

That's a silly thing to say. The books and mags I read are mostly by people who do just that or were instrumental in designing the systems to begin with.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

I do this for real and up until I moved had the ford manual for my car to reference unlike you. Also not once did I say go out of specs, I personally have my car idling at 850-900 rpms and have my tps voltage set to .95 and my car does fine. Magazines pass time for me and i don't use a magazine for my rep source.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
In the real world reality 94-95 tps are NON ADJUSTABLE and should be left alone if you are looking to adjust it that's means you have other issues it's either good or bad. Now every time you turn off your key it's resets itself anyway back to zero. That's how the sn95 it's made I'm a ford tech not a kid reading books. That's my 2cents I learned while getting asc certifided
Furious35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious35
In the real world reality 94-95 tps are NON ADJUSTABLE and should be left alone if you are looking to adjust it that's means you have other issues it's either good or bad. Now every time you turn off your key it's resets itself anyway back to zero. That's how the sn95 it's made I'm a ford tech not a kid reading books. That's my 2cents I learned while getting asc certifided
Most people on here trying to help aren't just kids reading books and have plenty experience. Besides the OP was asking for a fox not a sn95.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Wasn't trying to offend you just stating that I have working exp. In that area. Also that's why I stated that the 94-95 SN95s where differant in that they are not adjustable
Old 11-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #26
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious35 View Post
I'm not a kid, but I do read books.
Does that just make me 1/2 right?

My Mustang Performance book tells me that the TPS is non-adjustable like you say, but then it goes on to say that you can modify the factory TPS to be adjustable or replace it with one from an SVO that is adjustable. Why would the SVO engineers make an adjustable unit, if it were not an adjustable parameter in the first place?

It also says that the proper adjustment of the TPS is vital to optimizing the fuel mixture at low speeds, especially when the engine has been modified. If the initial adjustment is not performed correctly the engine can develop an off-idle hesitation. It also states to re-adjust it every time a significant engine modification is made.

That's what my book says and I'm sticking to it.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Well stick to your book I'm only trying to help you as I am a certified for tech and have built a whole lot of mustangs not saying I know it all but I do know about this issue. If you have a tweecer or some type of after market program sure that function could be adjustable but for the 94-95 GT stock ECM IT IS NOT! you have other issues going on and trying to Jerry rig your tps only mask the real problem. SN95 ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS resets at 0 100% garuteed EVERY TIME KEY is turned off. You will need to pull the codes. It's down right STUPID to go guessing what's wrong and bying unneeded parts to try to fix a problem that is unknown. that being said pull your codes reset your base idle and ECM you should be good to go. Before beliving what you read go get a ford service Manuel not an auto parts version a REAL FORD BOOK read it also check out veryuseful.com it goes indepth on our computers and is a great read for any self mechanic. BTW I wasn't calling anyone a kid sorry if you took offence
Old 11-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well stick to your book I'm only trying to help you as I am a certified for tech and have built a whole lot of mustangs not saying I know it all but I do know about this issue. If you have a tweecer or some type of after market program sure that function could be adjustable but for the 94-95 GT stock ECM IT IS NOT! you have other issues going on and trying to Jerry rig your tps only mask the real problem. SN95 ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS resets at 0 100% garuteed EVERY TIME KEY is turned off. You will need to pull the codes. It's down right STUPID to go guessing what's wrong and bying unneeded parts to try to fix a problem that is unknown. that being said pull your codes reset your base idle and ECM you should be good to go. Before beliving what you read go get a ford service Manuel not an auto parts version a REAL FORD BOOK read it also check out veryuseful.com it goes indepth on our computers and is a great read for any self mechanic. BTW I wasn't calling anyone a kid sorry if you took offence
Chill out dude, don't shout.
I probably own the largest collection of "REAL" Ford manuals of anyone in my area and I have been using the Very Useful and Ford Fuel Injection websites for years. I know what they say. The problem is in the interpretation. Evidently we see things differently. Doesn't mean either one of us are wrong necessarily, just that we interpret what we read differently.
I enjoy reading about how other people solve problems and I appreciate your input.
Peace?

My post was mainly in jest, trying to diffuse any arguments.
I have over 30+ years of experience with Mustangs myself.
The TPS uses the initial setting when first starting whether or not it resets each time, which I know it does reset. The initial setting is just used to get it into the range most desirable for your particular combo. That's why I adjust my TPS and check it on occasion to make sure it is operating in an acceptable range for my engine combination.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Wasn't meaning to shout I do know fox bodys are differant and do allow for some adjustment but the most important is the smooth transition in the volts on the sn95 ofcoarse it needs to be in specs but long as it is smooth from o- it's good. Every car is differant but I think where the confusion starts is from SN95 to the fox body totaly differant ECMs they are night and day. Just test it your self set your tps the way you like then turn of your key get your DVM turn your key back on and it will be 0volts closed every time. There made that way as long as your max volts at WOT is not way over the limit and the sensor is smooth as far as volt out put it's good.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #30
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Wasn't meaning to shout I do know fox bodys are different and do allow for some adjustment but the most important is the smooth transition in the volts on the sn95 of coarse it needs to be in specs but long as it is smooth from o- it's good. Every car is different but I think where the confusion starts is from SN95 to the fox body totally different ECMs they are night and day. Just test it your self set your tps the way you like then turn of your key get your DVM turn your key back on and it will be 0volts closed every time. There made that way as long as your max volts at WOT is not way over the limit and the sensor is smooth as far as volt out put it's good.
I don't own a SN95 anymore. Sold it several years ago.
I hated the ECU and its idiosyncrasies though and I was on the verge of converting it to the older model ECU and a Baumannator to control the auto transmission right when I sold it.

My 86 GT has the A9L MAF conversion and when I check the TPS on it, it stays approximately where I set it through numerous on/off cycles.

Do you know why they did that different with the SN95 TPS?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I couldn't begain to understand there maddness LOL. realy IMO they new they would be changing over to the 4.6 in 1996 so I belive they de tuned the 5.0s 94-95 so when they brought out the new motors they would have a spike in sales. Everybody would trade there sluggs in being that most were still under warrenty and new mods were not as abundent. So I think they just dropped hp by detuning for two years. When in reality they chose a bigger throttle body and MAF and went to bent mandrel headers alot of good stuff gone to waste I think. You can get much more hp out of the box with the sn95 if you can get past the ECM but then you still have the weight to consider it's much more than the fox. Realy those cars are not that bad if you have some free time to tinker with them and a friend that has a dyno and tuning exp sure helps to. Lol. Those computors are vastly differant. In timming to bin file the whole nine yards. Two main things are the way it figures timing off load instead of RPM and your fuel maps. It just sucks. But they are very fast and advanced for it's time. SCT makes a good mail order tune plus you can get tweecer if your bold enough to dive into it.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #32
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I couldn't begain to understand there maddness LOL. realy IMO they new they would be changing over to the 4.6 in 1996 so I belive they de tuned the 5.0s 94-95 so when they brought out the new motors they would have a spike in sales. Everybody would trade there sluggs in being that most were still under warrenty and new mods were not as abundent. So I think they just dropped hp by detuning for two years. When in reality they chose a bigger throttle body and MAF and went to bent mandrel headers alot of good stuff gone to waste I think. You can get much more hp out of the box with the sn95 if you can get past the ECM but then you still have the weight to consider it's much more than the fox. Realy those cars are not that bad if you have some free time to tinker with them and a friend that has a dyno and tuning exp sure helps to. Lol. Those computors are vastly differant. In timming to bin file the whole nine yards. Two main things are the way it figures timing off load instead of RPM and your fuel maps. It just sucks. But they are very fast and advanced for it's time. SCT makes a good mail order tune plus you can get tweecer if your bold enough to dive into it.
Their decision (out of necessity from weak transmissions) to pull timing out during shifts hurts them quite a bit in the performance arena. I haven't studied up on them since I had mine, but there were some valid arguments on changing the ECU out for an older model I do remember.
I bought an AFM PMS to tune my 86'. It appears to be easier to use and provides more tuning options than others I researched.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:30 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Yea there programing is very very terriable I have heard of a piggy back type of harness where you can use an A9P or A9L but have never seen one. But I have studdied over both pinouts until I got a head ache. Lol. But from what I can tell it's very possabile to repin the harness to use the old ECM not 100% but looks like it can be done just time consuming not sure if if would be worth it you would loose your electric fans and rewiring the power for the fuel pump would suck. And you might still need a tune to compensate for the larger maf and throttle body seems like alot of work to me for the small amount of gain. I'd just save up to take it to a reputible tuner lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT