Race shop rebuilt aode - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Race shop rebuilt aode

Ripped out my trans. Sent it to racer brown transmission. Highly recommended. Quoted me for 1200-1400$. Ended up costing1875$. 2500 stall converter, shift kit, chip, and as HD as he could get. Install after a good cooler flush and inline filter install. Everything went great. Primed all the gears, got fluid levels right. It shifts sporadically, and tends to pull out of gear when in a down shift. I've been babying as much as possible with 4.10 gears. Even set SCT eliminator chip back to stock thinking that the new stall converter was confusing my CPU. I'm spent and disgruntled by this. Please help. Ps all gears seem strong untill a shift point. Rpms go way up there. I let off then it kicks into gear. Or it jumps back and forth from 3/4th gears sporadically. Then it seems to shift fine.
Schlahty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Race shop rebuilt aode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlahty View Post
Ripped out my trans. Sent it to racer brown transmission. Highly recommended. Quoted me for 1200-1400$. Ended up costing1875$. 2500 stall converter, shift kit, chip, and as HD as he could get. Install after a good cooler flush and inline filter install. Everything went great. Primed all the gears, got fluid levels right. It shifts sporadically, and tends to pull out of gear when in a down shift. I've been babying as much as possible with 4.10 gears. Even set SCT eliminator chip back to stock thinking that the new stall converter was confusing my CPU. I'm spent and disgruntled by this. Please help. Ps all gears seem strong untill a shift point. Rpms go way up there. I let off then it kicks into gear. Or it jumps back and forth from 3/4th gears sporadically. Then it seems to shift fine.
Is that a "lock up" convertor?
I'd take it back to the builder, something is not right inside the transmission.
The dropping out of gear is an issue I had with the SN95 GT I had at one time. I forget the exact cause, but it is nothing you can fix with the transmission in the car.
In one of the links posted in the "Useful Mustang Info" thread I believe it tells about the issue and what needs to be done to fix it.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Would it be bad if I drove it 100 miles already. As far as warranty goes. That's how far I went to do the tranny. It drives ok if you ease it in OD. Soon as you slow then open it again it goes sporadic shifting. 3grand rpm at 80ish. 4.10g

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

I couldn't seem to find any useful info in your forum you recommended. Nothing about aode transmissions. I will find out if indeed its a lock up converter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Would it be bad if I drove it 100 miles already. As far as warranty goes. That's how far I went to do the tranny. It drives ok if you ease it in OD. Soon as you slow then open it again it goes sporadic shifting. 3grand rpm at 80ish. 4.10g

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

I couldn't seem to find any useful info in your forum you recommended. Nothing about aode transmissions. I will find out if indeed its a lock up converter.
It's buried in one of the sites there.
Here is a document on the AODE that might help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AODE MLP Sensor.pdf (246.9 KB, 187 views)
Old 11-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I dug deep. No link
Old 11-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I dug deep. No link
Did you check the PDF I posted?
Download the free Adobe Reader to view it.

You could have problems with the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor).
Also you might possibly have a problem with your TPS sensor.

Sometime the TPS can be subject to "carbon tracking". This sends a signal to your ECU that is basically the same as if you remove your foot from the gas pedal. That will cause the transmission to shift erratically or improperly because the TPS signal goes to 0 or no shift mode then an instant later you may move the sensor away from the carbon tracking spot and all of a sudden the TPS is sending a totally different signal which may call for an upshift or downshift.

You should have it scanned to see if it is presenting any codes.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Roger that, tps, I did find something in useful info bout tps. Was thinking same thing but I don't have the same cable as an aod. 94 is all electronic right. I'm also on my iPhone so I didn't see your link posted. Thanks for the help, I'm going to get it tested at trans shop. Then ultimately I will go to a dyno.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Roger that, tps, I did find something in useful info bout tps. Was thinking same thing but I don't have the same cable as an aod. 94 is all electronic right. I'm also on my iPhone so I didn't see your link posted. Thanks for the help, I'm going to get it tested at trans shop. Then ultimately I will go to a dyno.
No, you do not have a TV cable the AODE is all electronic in the 94 & 95 Mustangs.
Just so there is no confusion, nothing I posted has anything to do with a TV cable or AOD transmission.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Understood. I'm going to check tps tomorrow. Thanks for putting up with me and my a/t transmission. Errr. Shoulda bought me an eliminator aode. Woulda cost me about the same as the rebuild and less hassle.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Installed tps sensor. 80$ part. Swap during lunch break. 30 sex test drive and I was burning rubber by accident. Wowza difference. Chip tube by bama next. I'll be complete. Till my next upgrade anyway.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Good to hear you got it straightened out man.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Installed tps sensor. 80$ part. Swap during lunch break. 30 sex test drive and I was burning rubber by accident. Wowza difference. Chip tube by bama next. I'll be complete. Till my next upgrade anyway.
Glad to hear you got it fixed.

P.S. Be careful about mixing those "sex test drives" and "chip tubes" though.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Damn spell check. Lmao
Old 11-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Just wondering though, tranny sure shifts better, still shifts like its confused. When it drops to third, it's like there's no gear. I hope that's a chip issue. I'm just hoping my tranny is as bullet proof as the shop gaurenteed. He says not to shift hard into 4th cause it's weak in these aode's. What exactly does that mean. Let off before the shift or just don't take third to such an rpm. I really don't wanna blow this thing.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Just wondering though, tranny sure shifts better, still shifts like its confused. When it drops to third, it's like there's no gear. I hope that's a chip issue. I'm just hoping my tranny is as bullet proof as the shop gaurenteed. He says not to shift hard into 4th cause it's weak in these aode's. What exactly does that mean. Let off before the shift or just don't take third to such an rpm. I really don't wanna blow this thing.
You have some kind of problem, it should not do that.
Did you ever read the PDF I posted?

Fourth gear in the AODE is the overdrive gear and they are pretty weak.
I've always read that you should not let the transmission shift into 4th under full throttle or breakage will eventually occur. Let off for the shift and reapply power gently or if you have a manual valve body, just don't let it shift.

What it means is that the clutches and drive components in 4th OD gear are not designed to hold much power.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Rojer that thank you. It's just I know my **** ain't shifting right. Just got word from bama performance. He was 99% sure that 94 obd1 SCT chip has nothing to do with transmission. Hmm. TPS swap made a difference but not for 3-4 4-3. I have codes still popping up. Will get those checked. I feel like my 4.10 gears are messing things up. Doesn't like to stay in 4th. Wants to drop to third over and over. Finally get it to 4th and it won't shift to 3rd no matter how much throttle. 65-80mph-ish. Excuse me for being the impatient one. I just don't trust mechanic shops, and love to figure it out myself.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

MLPS got it. Had to use the desktop to find your link. Thanks Trojan.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT