fuel issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
fuel issue

Hey guys I'm new to this amd my 94 gt is having fuel issues I believe. It runs smooth amd good but I believe it lacks power. It has 410 gears in it. But I hooked up a fp tester amd it was like 28 at idle amd 34 with the vacuum unhooked. Do y'all think I should start with the regualtor or the pump. And also my spark plugs are really clean and real white in color. So I'm guess it's running lean. If it's running lean is that a power robber?

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

I don't know if I'm doing this right but I would appreciate if somebody posted some thing back so I know I'm doing all this right. Like I said I'm new to this forum thanks
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: fuel issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt View Post
Hey guys I'm new to this amd my 94 gt is having fuel issues I believe. It runs smooth amd good but I believe it lacks power. It has 410 gears in it. But I hooked up a fp tester amd it was like 28 at idle amd 34 with the vacuum unhooked. Do y'all think I should start with the regualtor or the pump. And also my spark plugs are really clean and real white in color. So I'm guess it's running lean. If it's running lean is that a power robber?
Your FP should be at 38-39 PSI with the vacuum unhooked.
Running lean will make power up to a point, running a bit rich is more desirable to protect your engine.
Run it to lean and you will burn a piston.
If your regulator is not adjustable, I'd replace that first.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Your FP should be at 38-39 PSI with the vacuum unhooked.
Running lean will make power up to a point, running a bit rich is more desirable to protect your engine.
Run it to lean and you will burn a piston.
If your regulator is not adjustable, I'd replace that first.
Ok thanks. I'll do that. So would 5 psi make that much of a differnence. Another thing is I've been reading amd y'all say to bump the timing up to about 14 or right b4 it starts pinging. Well I tried mine amd it was at 10 I bumped it up to 11 and it starting pinging so I put it backat 10. would the fuel issue make it start pinging at 11 where it's starving for fuel ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
I wouldn't bump up timing until you resolve the fuel issue. Start with your regulator first and work from there.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: fuel issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt View Post
Ok thanks. I'll do that. So would 5 psi make that much of a differnence. Another thing is I've been reading amd y'all say to bump the timing up to about 14 or right b4 it starts pinging. Well I tried mine amd it was at 10 I bumped it up to 11 and it starting pinging so I put it backat 10. would the fuel issue make it start pinging at 11 where it's starving for fuel ?
It might under full acceleration.

The pinging is from pre-ignition, the plug fires too soon before TDC.
You may have some bad gas in the tank if it pings just one degree over stock setting.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks guys I did change my filter and in the very bottom of it. Black stuff came out of it. But yeah I'm goinh to put a afr on it amd c what it does. But y'all think the white spark plugs r normal or cu it's running lean
Old 11-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If ur plugs are white you are running lean. For whatever reason you are not getting enough fuel. Could be as simple as clogged fuel filter or a failing regulator. Or something more like the fuel pump. You need to be seeing around 39 psi with vacuum removed. DO NOT touch the timing till you figure out the fuel issue. It does not take much to fey a piston, even with a stock motor.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief
If ur plugs are white you are running lean. For whatever reason you are not getting enough fuel. Could be as simple as clogged fuel filter or a failing regulator. Or something more like the fuel pump. You need to be seeing around 39 psi with vacuum removed. DO NOT touch the timing till you figure out the fuel issue. It does not take much to fey a piston, even with a stock motor.
Ok thanks for your reply. I'll keep it posted after I put the afpr on it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT