Need help with speedometer - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Need help with speedometer

I guys, I have an 85 Mustang GT.
I was driving down the road today, and the speedometer randomly just stopped working. Also, now the odometer and the cruise control are not working because of this as well. Is there a certain specific part that may have gone out to cause all three to quit working? I don't knowing when it comes to speedo's and odometers. Any help to get this thing going would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Klinton
Klinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Check your speedo cable.it plugs into the trans on the drivers side towards the back.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, so do I just see if it's still connected? Or what do I look for? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinton
Ok, so do I just see if it's still connected? Or what do I look for? Thanks
Yes, you should be able to see if it is still connected from underneath. There is a one bolt clamp that holds it in nothing fancy, and in my experience that bolt can be fragile.
Even if it's still connected it can still be broken. The things you've listed as far as speedo and odometer are mechanical and drive off that cable so if they are not working there is likely an issue with it somewhere.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Yes.see if it came loose.also I believe you have a sensor that its plugged into for the cruise control.make sure that's tight also.if u don't see anything obvious then pull the sensor out and check it out.should only take 1 bolt to take it out.there should be a gear in there,make sure that looks ok.also follow the cable back up and make sure its not damaged.if all that checks out u will have to pull out the cluster.make sure the cable is plugged in there.there might not be a lot of slack so when unscrew it just pull it back a little and look in there.then if u still don't find anything then your cluster is probably bad.hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Need help with speedometer

Probably one or more of the following three things.

1. Broken cable.
2. Broken odometer.
3. Speedo cable gear in transmission is stripped.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Probably one or more of the following three things.

1. Broken cable.
2. Broken odometer.
3. Speedo cable gear in transmission is stripped.
Lol, TH you do great at summing it up, especially something so easy to over complicate
Old 11-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Lol, TH you do great at summing it up, especially something so easy to over complicate
I try.
My mentor/teacher who passed away a few years ago spent a lot of time pounding the simplicity idea into my thick head. He always told me to "Start with the simple things first", because I always used to start with the most complicated and ended up costing myself unnecessary grief and funds hundreds of times.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Lol
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, it was raining and really cold all day yesterday, and I have gravel driveway, so I didn't get a chance to check it out yesterday, but I will check today and keep you updated. Lol, and thanks for simplifying it, I have rebuilt my engine, and done engine/ axle swaps on my old jeep, but have never really took a dash apart and seen how the speedometer and stuff work so it's still all foreign for me. Lol
Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinton View Post
Thanks guys, it was raining and really cold all day yesterday, and I have gravel driveway, so I didn't get a chance to check it out yesterday, but I will check today and keep you updated. Lol, and thanks for simplifying it, I have rebuilt my engine, and done engine/ axle swaps on my old jeep, but have never really took a dash apart and seen how the speedometer and stuff work so it's still all foreign for me. Lol
Klinton,
Removing the speedo cable from the back of the dash can really be a PITA. There is a plastic clip that fastens into a groove on the back of the speedo itself. To remove it you have to grip the clip in exactly the correct way to be able to squeeze and release it. I would suggest you take a look at some pictures of a replacement cable assembly online at American Muscle or LRS to get a better idea of how it works.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I know it's been a while, but yesterday I finally got around to looking in to it somewhat. The plastic gear in the transmission seems to be fine, and I'm assuming the cable looks normal. Have not gone to the dash yet though. Also, thanks Trojan horse, I'll get on the websites and check it out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT