helps and tips?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
helps and tips??

Hey guys Im wanting to build my car into a fun street car Wat r some good mods to start out with? It's a 95 GT aode car. I already have 4.10s and a b&m shift kit I just wanna get some opinions and ideas so I can kind of get my own idea. I want somthing streetable of course.
FLAT BLACK GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: helps and tips??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT BLACK GT View Post
Hey guys Im wanting to build my car into a fun street car Wat r some good mods to start out with? It's a 95 GT aode car. I already have 4.10s and a b&m shift kit I just wanna get some opinions and ideas so I can kind of get my own idea. I want somthing streetable of course.
See the "Mustang Modifications - In the Beginning" thread.
Has some updated information as of a few minutes ago.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks pretty good stuff on there can't wait for tax time so I can knock out most of the bolt ons. Also I've looked into an aluminum driveshaft but some ppl have told me not to get one. Wats ur opinion on tht?

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

I figured it would compliment the 4.10s along with a set of underdrive pullies which will be one of the next mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks pretty good stuff on there can't wait for tax time so I can knock out most of the bolt ons. Also I've looked into an aluminum driveshaft but some ppl have told me not to get one. Wats ur opinion on tht?

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

I figured it would compliment the 4.10s along with a set of underdrive pullies which will be one of the next mods.
I don't know why they don't think you should get one.
I have one, but it isn't installed yet. They are great for reducing your rotating mass and they dampen minute vibrations. I'd say get one if you want it.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I thought the same thing. Thanks for the advice tho
Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I got one one mine and let me tell you its great not only do you knock out a couple of lbs off your ride but eliminate a lot of vibration so I say get it
88fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok man Idk why my buddies told me otherwise.. smh they r Chevy boys tho guess they don't want yet another ford outrunning them. Lol but yeah I'm gonna look into getting one. Fast Ford has it listed at 264.99 I believe.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Throttle body, MAF housing, MAF sensor, intake, better ignition... The list can go on and on. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.
Jkgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I've already got the street fire coil msd cap 9mm Ford racing wires and Bosch platinum plugs. I've noticed a lot better throttle response with those upgrades I'm looking to get a msd distributor and the ignition box soon.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Good looking stang btw
Old 11-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

street firecoil is just a msd oem coil does no different than stock ones msd blaster coil is the one that gives you the better spark ive tried both this is from exprience on sn95

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

just trying to help but everybody has their own opinion
kid_kash_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

No worries man thts why I ask yall for input. I really didn't do the research on the coil I just grabbed one up when I did my tuneup it needed it bad the old one was burnt up which is prolly why I noticed the better throttle response and Wat not.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_kash_00 View Post
street firecoil is just a msd oem coil does no different than stock ones msd blaster coil is the one that gives you the better spark ive tried both this is from exprience on sn95

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

just trying to help but everybody has their own opinion
They are pretty close in voltage output with the Street Fire actually coming in higher at 48K volts and the Blaster at 44K volts. The Street Fire also has a slightly higher Peak Current with a slightly lower Spark Duration than the Blaster. What that means is that the Street Fire will deliver more power, but at slightly less duration than the Blaster.

What really matters is that either one will serve equally well in his case and they are both better than a stock coil.

Street Fire TFI Coil

Blaster TFI Coil
Old 12-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT BLACK GT

Go for tha driveshaft! I did, it its pretty good weight diff...
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Wow this is actually a good thread, im glad i found it im pretty much in the same boat as you, new to the 5.0s ..thanks for starting this..

How much was the 9mm wires you bought?

Also anyone have any thoughts on intake manifolds and heads...?
Army_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Stang View Post
Also anyone have any thoughts on intake manifolds and heads...?

The Trick Flow HCI kit will net you around 350 HP at the crankshaft.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

The wires were lil over 50 after taxes ordered them from the hotrod barn close to my house. And I've had my car for about 2 years but I'm just now in the modding stage so I understand how ya feel lol and how much would a trick flow h/c/i combo run me roughly??
Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

thanks man for the suggestion i was looking at that kit but its a little expensive for me right now, i was trying to figure out a possible used type build or cheaper built i could do, but now that i know it will put me over my original goal of 300rwhp i might just save up....self debating sucks
Old 12-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm waiting on tax time and pell grants ima buy a cheap truck and prolly use the rest for the trick flow combo if its not more than 2k. The gt40 set up is cheaper but from the info I've gathered u won't make as much power. But man u gotta Sharp looking car wat size cowl hood do u have?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

thanks man, honestly i couldnt tell ya i havent even seen/driven my car , i found it on craigslist and talked to the guy and my wife went and looked at it with couple army buddies and bought and drove it back to the house...i know its the stalker front bumper and hood is crivinis cobra r hood i think the guy said i honestly cant remember i have had this car since 18 nov for my birthday...i just know i want 300 hp min.

and the trick flow kit for everything the cheapest i can find the full kit is 2499 for the black kit the sliver kit is 100 cheaper
Old 12-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Very cool man and I guess ill have to save for a lil bit. I'm the same way I wanna reach at least 300 to the wheels but with tht combo full bolt ons and supporting mods should be a good bit more. But yeah I'm sure u can't wait to get in tht thing I kno bein away from mine more than a day I start missing it Haha
Old 12-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

yeah it sucks knowing i have it sitting in the driveway..its killing me but what sucks more is we get off the first 48hrs we are home but we cant not drive for the first 48hrs we are back which SUCKS....i think tax season or after my next duty station move ill used that money to buy the full kit plus a couple extra parts...but we'll see...

I do have a question though since i have shorty headers already, once i replace the heads and stuff will i need to buy a different set of headers ?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I understand tht man. And I kno with regular gt40s u don't have to but gt40p heads u do. Not sure with trickflows tho thts a good ? Id like to kno myself since I'm considering saving up for tht particular combo. I'm sure one of these guys would kno I wouldn't think u would have to but I'm not suree...
Old 12-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
U should have no problem reaching 300 hp and some with the trickflow kit.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

I have gt40 p heads and the problem is the spark plug angle.my wires plug wires touch the header.a good wire seperator job and some proctective high heat booties did the trick with my shorty headers.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Supporter

You can get the Trick Flow Top End Kit for $2449 minus forum discount at LRS.
The LRS Forum tells you how to get the discount.

I'm sure you could get it from American Muscle with a discount too, but for the life of me I couldn't find it on their website.
Here is their AM Forum on how to get their discount.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

not trying to argue just wanna know for my best but called msd and they said blaster is a more voltage coil and can not be used with regular plug wires it will melt theme so i would like to know from someone with exprience in this thats why i make suggestions thanks for all the answers
kid_kash_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Another great way to pick up some hp is to advance your timing. It is as easy as rotating your distributor and free but depending on how much you advance
It you will need to run mid grade or premium gas. Stock base timing advance is 10*. A good place to start is 12* it is not too much to cause detonation or pinging and you should feel a diff in power. 12* is on the mild side you should be able to run 14* or even as much as 16* and you will def be able to feel a seat of the pants difference. Remember that all cars are diff and some may be able to run more than others without detonation. Don't get greedy with it though as every car has its sweet spot. Remember that once you advance your timing you can't switch back to 87 octane unless you ****** your timing back to stock or near stock. Like I said if you advance the timing slightly you may be able to get away with running 87 but better safe than sorry as detonation is very bad for your engine. Make sure your harmonic balancer is in good shape as the outer ring with the timing marks on it can spin in relation to top dead center and throw your timing off when trying to set it. Sorry for the huge post. Anyone interested in how to do it in more detail just ask. It seriously takes five minutes or less to do. All you need is a timing light and a half inch wrench. Or you can probably google it.
93redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #27
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_kash_00 View Post
not trying to argue just wanna know for my best but called msd and they said blaster is a more voltage coil and can not be used with regular plug wires it will melt theme so i would like to know from someone with exprience in this thats why i make suggestions thanks for all the answers
Sorry if you misunderstood, but I'm not trying to argue with you. I just don't do that.
I just looked up the specs and posted them for info reference and accuracy.
We try to ensure that we give the best and most accurate information that we can here.

P.S. I don't know who you talked to, but the Blaster coil will not melt the plug wires. The Street Fire coil actually puts out more voltage than the Blaster. I have over 30 years of experience using MSD products and even the most powerful coil they make won't melt plug wires when it is used on a vehicle.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

It shouldn't melt the wires they just won't be able to transfer the spark to the plugs like they should. They will probably arc to ground through the insulation. Moroso makes a much better wire for around 60 bucks from summit summithttp://m.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-73675. Only 40 ohms of resistance per foot and look great. Ford racing wires have 800+ ohms per foot or something crazy like that
Old 12-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I'm gonna go get a timing light today to advance the timing on my car. Could u tell me the steps on advancing it?? I've got an idea but id rather hear it from yall.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #30
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I'm gonna go get a timing light today to advance the timing on my car. Could u tell me the steps on advancing it?? I've got an idea but id rather hear it from yall.
Pick up a Chilton or Haynes manual while you are there.

AT ALL TIMES KEEP YOUR FINGERS, LOOSE CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT OR TOOL CORDS/CABLES AWAY FROM ROTATING ENGINE COMPONENTS!

1. Clean off and mark your harmonic balancer at 10, 12, & 14 degrees BTDC. Clean off the timing tab while you are at it to ensure good visibility.

2. Take the car for a drive and get it up to normal operating temperature.

3. Loosen the distributor hold down bolt and make sure the distributor is movable, but keep it in the same position it started out in.

4. Connect your timing light, making sure the cords are kept away from any rotating engine components.

5. Remove the gray spout connector. On 87-93 Mustangs it is near the distributor, on 94-95 Mustangs it is near the passenger side strut tower.

5. Start your engine. (Go ahead and rev it a couple of times. You know you want to. )

6. Point your timing light at the timing tab and note where your timing is initially set. Moving the distributor counter clockwise will advance the timing.

7. Advance your timing 1-2 degrees at a time, snug up the distributor hold down bolt, reinstall the spout connector, then take a test drive and listen for pinging or rattling. If no pinging or rattling is heard you can try advancing another 1-2 degrees or so at a time. Once you hear pinging or rattling, back the timing up 1-2 degrees and leave it there.

Note: Advancing the timing will usually require that you use premium fuel to prevent detonation.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet thanks for the info also...i have a small question regards this though whats the most i can advance and still use 87 oct. or is it once i advance i have to up the octane
Old 12-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Stang View Post
Sweet thanks for the info also...i have a small question regards this though whats the most i can advance and still use 87 oct. or is it once i advance i have to up the octane
Pretty much any amount of advance is going to require higher octane fuel.
The factory timing of 10 degrees is optimial for the lower octane fuels.
BUT, each vehicle is different. You can try yours at 1-2 degrees more advance and see what happens.

Note: Temperature and humidity levels will also have an effect, so don't be surprised if the advance you set one day that does not ping, does ping on some other day. In that case to be safe and prevent engine damage you should back it down another degree or two. The small increase in performance is not worth possible engine damage.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Very good description on how to do it. Remember that older harmonic balancers are prone to the outer ring moving in relation to top dead center and this can affect your timing marks rwhen you are trying to adjust it. Be sure that your balancer is in good shape and follow Trojan Horse's directions or get the Haynes or Chilton manual at your local parts store
Old 12-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Ok we did it we set it at 13 degrees 14 it would ping around 4500 thanks for yalls help.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #35
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ok we did it we set it at 13 degrees 14 it would ping around 4500 thanks for yalls help.
Glad that worked out for you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT