Something like BLOWBY? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #1

Region: Missouri
Something like BLOWBY?

I have an 88 fox with ac delete kit, CAI, Ported upper and lower intake...T5 swap..thats it...i stopped driving my fox about 3 years ago because of this..I had a kid and I really didn't have time to mess with my car..it's been in the garage for 3yrs collecting dust.. Well my sone is almost 4 now and I have a good job so I can get back to my car now. ...I have been driving my crown vic...but anyways, the problem I'm having is oil shooting out of the dipstick burning off the headers and smoke coming into into car.. i believe to what i think is blowby but alot of people are telling me it could be something else...when you hit it kinda hard oil shoots up out of the dipstick onto the headers..i have never heard of this before...can anyone tell me what this might be?? I haven't drivin it in yrs but it still starts .. Someone told me it could be the piston rings..I just got a brand new engine hoist from my grandfather so I think I might just pull it..rebuild..or drop in somethin else..u just wanted some advice..
Ponyboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Re: Something like BLOWBY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy66 View Post
I have an 88 fox with ac delete kit, CAI, Ported upper and lower intake...T5 swap..thats it...i stopped driving my fox about 3 years ago because of this..I had a kid and I really didn't have time to mess with my car..it's been in the garage for 3yrs collecting dust.. Well my sone is almost 4 now and I have a good job so I can get back to my car now. ...I have been driving my crown vic...but anyways, the problem I'm having is oil shooting out of the dipstick burning off the headers and smoke coming into into car.. i believe to what i think is blowby but alot of people are telling me it could be something else...when you hit it kinda hard oil shoots up out of the dipstick onto the headers..i have never heard of this before...can anyone tell me what this might be?? I haven't drivin it in yrs but it still starts .. Someone told me it could be the piston rings..I just got a brand new engine hoist from my grandfather so I think I might just pull it..rebuild..or drop in somethin else..u just wanted some advice..
It sounds like compression blow by caused by a bad case of stuck piston rings.
They may eventually break loose and reseal or you may have to re-ring it.

Maybe change the oil to a high detergent oil and run it for 500 miles or so and see if they unstick.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yea that is no good you are getting pressure in the crank case. Re-ring time
Jkgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Might be a good idea to check your pcv valve too....though thats ALOT of pressure where it doesn't belong to push oil out the dipstick!...but i do agree your getting excessive combustion into the crankcase most likely some kind of ring issue...
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

head gasket have been known to do this but i never seen it on a ford mainly hondas just a thought.
kid_kash_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I would definitely say its bad rings and could possibly be a burned up piston but more than likely a set of new rings would fix the problem
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Everyone seems to agree on rings.I am with Trojan though it would not hurt to try some high detergent oil and see if it frees up.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No doubt I would try all the preliminary stuff first before you dive in to a re-ring. But most cases that is what is going to have to be done. Also like someone said check that PCV valve that could be stuck
Old 12-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgravy View Post
No doubt I would try all the preliminary stuff first before you dive in to a re-ring. But most cases that is what is going to have to be done. Also like someone said check that PCV valve that could be stuck
The PCV valve could be stuck, but I don't think it would/could be the sole cause of the extreme symptoms you are experiencing.

Out of the dozens or maybe even hundreds of PCV valves I have inspected in my lifetime, I have never found one to be stuck. Even on the most sorely neglected vehicles I have seen.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you really want to find the root of the problem perform a cylinder leak down test I know I say this alot but it will let you know where and what the problem is if you put air into the cylinder and it comes out the dipstick you know your rings are bad or you got a burned piston I mean you can try the others but I don't think high detergent oil is gonna fix the problem
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC182 View Post
If you really want to find the root of the problem perform a cylinder leak down test I know I say this alot but it will let you know where and what the problem is if you put air into the cylinder and it comes out the dipstick you know your rings are bad or you got a burned piston I mean you can try the others but I don't think high detergent oil is gonna fix the problem
That would help him locate the cylinder(s) that have the stuck rings. It is already obvious from his posted symptoms that the rings are stuck.
In a leak down test there will always be a certain amount of air that gets past the rings and into the crankcase, so just hearing or feeling air coming from the dipstick tube is not always an indicator of bad rings.

Since he parked the car for 3 years and it was running ok when he did, I doubt he has a burnt piston.

High detergent oil may not "fix" the problem, but it is a very cheap option to try before tearing down the engine. It worked for me once on a 302 in a Ford pickup and I went on to drive that truck for the next 5 years with no further problems.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The PCV valve could be stuck, but I don't think it would/could be the sole cause of the extreme symptoms you are experiencing.

Out of the dozens or maybe even hundreds of PCV valves I have inspected in my lifetime, I have never found one to be stuck. Even on the most sorely neglected vehicles I have seen.
I have never see one stuck either bust still doesn't hurt to check.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgravy View Post
I have never see one stuck either bust still doesn't hurt to check.
No it doesn't. I still check them JIC it's the first.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #14

I thank you all for all your responses and im sorry I'm getting back so late...I know alot about cars but I can honestly say i don't know enuff to tear a motor down for the first time by myself and rering it..I probably could do it if I read about it..I'll probably pull the motor and drop something else in and just tear my old motor down just for kicks to see what the actual problem is because I'm very curious..I've changed pcv valve..took the screen out etc etc..still same problem..and the car wasn't sitting for 3 yrs and then I had the problem..I parked the car for 3yrs because of the problem
Ponyboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't know much about engine rebuilds on my first build but I took my time did the research and built what I wanted and did fine. It was a great learning experience and got a lot of info from it. Plus you have forums and great people on here to help you through it. It is very key that you are organized and know your torque specs. Good luck and have fun, I did.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy66 View Post
I thank you all for all your responses and im sorry I'm getting back so late...I know alot about cars but I can honestly say i don't know enuff to tear a motor down for the first time by myself and rering it..I probably could do it if I read about it..I'll probably pull the motor and drop something else in and just tear my old motor down just for kicks to see what the actual problem is because I'm very curious..I've changed pcv valve..took the screen out etc etc..still same problem..and the car wasn't sitting for 3 yrs and then I had the problem..I parked the car for 3yrs because of the problem
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
In that case you likely have broken rings, or cracked or burnt piston(s) and a rebuild or replacement is your only option.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT