Opinions on building!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

So I have my 89 gt 5.0.am putting it away to build it up already.its all stock except the piping its all straight! What do you guys recommend for me to do? Engine wise and transmission.right now am counting with about five g's to spend.am supercharging it.so if you know a good store or any good supercharger let me know please.thanks!!
89 Foxloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Check out cundnracing.com they have some pretty good prices and complete kits of Paxton and Vortech
93redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Opinions on building!!

If you are supercharging it, you might want to consider an aftermarket block and all forged internals to ensure its longevity.
Sad thing is 5K is probably not enough to do it properly.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

+1 on the aftermarket block and forged rotating assembly. The block is what will kill you, the aftermarket ones are ridiculous in price. The cheapest you can get is the ford Boss block for around 1500 but then you have to have to get everything machined and balanced and and and. It adds up quick. 500 rwhp is about the limit on a stock block and even then you never know when the block is going to split. If you are boosting an otherwise mild setup you will probably be fine as long as you don't boost the hell out of it.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93redfox
Check out cundnracing.com they have some pretty good prices and complete kits of Paxton and Vortech
Thanks for the website but am trying to supercharging it..not the procharge..

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
If you are supercharging it, you might want to consider an aftermarket block and all forged internals to ensure its longevity.
Sad thing is 5K is probably not enough to do it properly.
Thanks alot..thats helps me think different now..so what would you recommend me to do to build up my car with the same block..cuz I wasn't planning to change the block I just want to build the block that I have..
Old 12-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Procharger is a brand and vortech and Paxton are also brands the website I gave has good prices on entire supercharger kits. You can use any of the kits on the site with the block you have.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93redfox
Procharger is a brand and vortech and Paxton are also brands the website I gave has good prices on entire supercharger kits. You can use any of the kits on the site with the block you have.
By using those will their ever be a problems against my block like to crack it or anything??
Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
around 400 hp you would be fine on stock block with those superchargers, as you go higher the block has more chance to crack
351mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It's not the supercharger itself
That cracks it, it is the power the motor makes. If you run 10 pounds of boost or so on your stock motor and get it properly tuned you will probably make close to 400 +\- rwhp and be a pretty reliable setup. You won't have to worry about it cracking as much if you keep the power around there and it will be plenty fast for the street.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok awsome..if for any x reason it cracks..can I transfer everything that I have put into the block into a newer and better block??
Old 12-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco View Post
Thanks alot..thats helps me think different now..so what would you recommend me to do to build up my car with the same block..cuz I wasn't planning to change the block I just want to build the block that I have..
To utilize the stock block, if given a choice I would put a small Turbo on it and keep the boost at 6-8 lbs maximum. When building the engine you can add a main stud girdle and windage tray along with a Valley girdle pro to help strengthen and protect the block.

If you want to see what I am talking about look up the DSS Racing Main Girdle Kit and the Valley Girdle Pro.

A lot of times it is not the HP that kills the stock supercharged/turbocharged block, it is poor tuning and uneducated owners.
When the engine is treated to forced induction you have to keep it tuned properly at all times and never allow it to detonate, not even a little bit.

Hundreds if not thousands of engines that were built with forced induction have been destroyed by their owners just taking them for a little ride or taking them to a shop to be tuned and not being able to resist "getting on them" a little bit. That "little bit" cost them dearly.

Good common sense and proper tuning will keep your engine safe.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

To utilize the stock block, if given a choice I would put a small Turbo on it and keep the boost at 6-8 lbs maximum. When building the engine you can add a main stud girdle and windage tray along with a Valley girdle pro to help strengthen and protect the block.

If you want to see what I am talking about look up the DSS Racing Main Girdle Kit and the Valley Girdle Pro.

A lot of times it is not the HP that kills the stock supercharged/turbocharged block, it is poor tuning and uneducated owners.
When the engine is treated to forced induction you have to keep it tuned properly at all times and never allow it to detonate, not even a little bit.

Hundreds if not thousands of engines that were built with forced induction have been destroyed by their owners just taking them for a little ride or taking them to a shop to be tuned and not being able to resist "getting on them" a little bit. That "little bit" cost them dearly.

Good common sense and proper tuning will keep your engine safe.
Thank you!!! I really appreciate how you always go detailed or show websites links to read through it!!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco View Post
Thank you!!! I really appreciate how you always go detailed or show websites links to read through it!!
You're Welcome!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT