Question regards differential - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Question regards differential

i was reading back though the email traffic between myself and the guy i bought my car from and under things done to the car he stated this i guess i never saw the whole thing until today... can someone clear it up a little for me i know what 3.73 gears are but the" with 03-04 cobra differential clutches" is what i dont get or understand what they are...thanks

3.73 gears with 03-04 cobra differential clutches
Army_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
That's a new one for me. I had additional clutches added to my differential so it would lockup more. Maybe that's what he is talking about, or something like that.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Question regards differential

I wasn't aware that the differential clutches in the 03-04 Cobra were any different.
Maybe search for information on that and see if he is making sense or pulling your leg a bit. I suppose they could be made of a different material or maybe heavier duty than normal.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

this is so far the only thing i can find on it and this is from another forum a few years ago

99-02 got a 28-spline standard trak loc with normal clutches. However, the carrier is different than a normal 8.8.

03-04 got a 31-spline trak loc with the carbon/kevlar clutches. They grab a bit harder.

Also found this. its from a online store selling them from frpp

This traction-lok unit features carbon fiber clutch plates for increased durability on higher horsepower applications. A direct Ford Racing part, you can be sure of the quality and fitment. The traction lok optimizes traction by transferring power to both rear wheels for faster ETs and a more consistant launch. It is a perfect upgrade for street or strip use. Features heavy plate style clutches and this unit accepts anti-lock exciter ring for a true bolt in design.

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Now that im reading it more they fit 31 splines so now when i get home i have to found out if i have 28's or 31's im confused now...
Army_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Stang View Post
this is so far the only thing i can find on it and this is from another forum a few years ago

99-02 got a 28-spline standard trak loc with normal clutches. However, the carrier is different than a normal 8.8.

03-04 got a 31-spline trak loc with the carbon/kevlar clutches. They grab a bit harder.

Also found this. its from a online store selling them from frpp

This traction-lok unit features carbon fiber clutch plates for increased durability on higher horsepower applications. A direct Ford Racing part, you can be sure of the quality and fitment. The traction lok optimizes traction by transferring power to both rear wheels for faster ETs and a more consistant launch. It is a perfect upgrade for street or strip use. Features heavy plate style clutches and this unit accepts anti-lock exciter ring for a true bolt in design.

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Now that im reading it more they fit 31 splines so now when i get home i have to found out if i have 28's or 31's im confused now...
From what you are telling us I would gather that he used the carbon fiber clutches in rebuilding your rear end and that it probably does not include the 31 spline axles.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You may look into seeing if frpp even makes a 28 spline carbon clutch pack set. It may be that they only make it in 31. The only way I know of checking the number of splines is to take the diff cover off and look. You might get lucky and find a part number stamped into the axle flange but don't bank on it.
93redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93redfox View Post
You may look into seeing if frpp even makes a 28 spline carbon clutch pack set. It may be that they only make it in 31. The only way I know of checking the number of splines is to take the diff cover off and look. You might get lucky and find a part number stamped into the axle flange but don't bank on it.
The splines you are talking about are axle splines.
The axles fit into the axle gears, then the clutches fit over the axle gears on another set of splines, which I don't think are any different regardless of 28 or 31 splined axles.

Here are the clutches I believe were used in Army_Stangs differential.

8.8 Carbon Clutches
Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You are correct I was thinking about the axle splines and yes the clutch packs do not ride on the axles themselves. My thinking was all screwed up lol. I was recently working on a hydraulic motor at work which had a clutch pack set directly on a shaft very similar to an axle shaft and skewed my thinking I guess. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

And yes this kit will work in both 28 and 31 spline carriers with the correct s-spring. Sorry for adding confusion to the thread.
93redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93redfox View Post
You are correct I was thinking about the axle splines and yes the clutch packs do not ride on the axles themselves. My thinking was all screwed up lol. I was recently working on a hydraulic motor at work which had a clutch pack set directly on a shaft very similar to an axle shaft and skewed my thinking I guess. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

And yes this kit will work in both 28 and 31 spline carriers with the correct s-spring. Sorry for adding confusion to the thread.
No problem. I do stuff like that on occasion myself, so the guys in the forums keep a lookout for me and correct me when I do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT