headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
headers

I just bought a set of headers from a guy thst bought new for a 94 5.0 and he said the headers wouldn't fit his heads. So I had a stock set and match them up and the bolt holes all lined up except mabye one or two bolt holes like a 1/16 from being centered. But it seems like to me it's close enough to work. But I was just wondering why the didn't line up on his 302. I thought all 302 headers were the same. Can anybody shine some light on this for me. Could the bolt patterned be misprint or a flaw in thr making of them
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt
I just bought a set of headers from a guy thst bought new for a 94 5.0 and he said the headers wouldn't fit his heads. So I had a stock set and match them up and the bolt holes all lined up except mabye one or two bolt holes like a 1/16 from being centered. But it seems like to me it's close enough to work. But I was just wondering why the didn't line up on his 302. I thought all 302 headers were the same. Can anybody shine some light on this for me. Could the bolt patterned be misprint or a flaw in thr making of them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2070885098.png
Views:	134
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	35439  
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
He may have gt40p heads. they would still bolt up though but there are just minor issues with headers like wires touchings headers etc.if it is that close you could probably drill out the holes with a little bit bigger drill bit or use a die grinder.oh and yes not are parts are made perfect.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to put them on this weekend.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Good luck.I hate putting on headers.lol.a few 4 letter words and a six pack usually works for me though.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Be ready for a chore. Those headers don't have bolt reliefs so they are going to be a bear to get on and torqued down correctly. Ive done it, just be patient.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Road Trip!

When I do a set of headers again I think I will by aftermarket header bolts.they have smaller heads so you can get a wrench on them easier.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I think thsts y thst guy couldn't get the bolts to line up cuz he was using the factory header bolts and like y'all know they have some big heads on them and those headers have some big runners on them so I think the big head of the bolt was hitting up against the runner and not letting it line up. I was just weary alittle buying them but I already has a small header bolt kit so I think it's gpinh to be all good
Old 12-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well I just got done trying to put the headers on my car and it wouldn't line up all the way. I got all the bolts to start On one side except for 2. I just don't understand y all of them don't line up. They even have the egr nipple on the passenger side header so it has to be for a 94-95. Or I would think so. Do y'all think I could mabye drill two of the holes out a little. Has any of ywll ever ran up on this problem b4
Old 12-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Are there any markings on them? Brand? I put Mac brand shorties on my 1st 95 lined up great!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well I had bbk on it but one of the flanges was messed up amd didn't know it untill I put it on and the flange wouldn't seal up. So I had the muffler shop weld it up around the flange. I just bought a new h pipe and didn't want to screw it up with the bad flange on the header but anyway they say amk project racing. I've never heard of thst brand. But thsts all it says. If I put one of them next to one of my bbk amd u can't even tell a difference untill u start matching the bolt holes up. There identical is size and length and everything except for the bolt pattern amd all I'm talkin bout is like a 1/8 difference in two holes so I guess I'm just goinh to try my luck amd drill them out. Wish me luck lol
Old 12-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well I called amk parts to c what was up to y the headers wasn't lineing up and I gave them the part number and they told me they was for a 86-93 mustangs. Well I always thought the fox body headers and sn-95 were the same. Or atleast the same bolt pattern. Does anybody know if they have the same bolt pattern. And will a 94 aftermarket hpipe work if they r fox body headers
Old 12-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Yes they are the same pattern, I believe the mid pipe should still work fine as well.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks that's what I thought to. I tried to argue with the guy that I called at amk. But he said they used a different bolt patteren. They must make a bad product. But really they look like sone really good headers And today I'm gping to try to drill them out just a little. If nobody knew anybetter that looked at my headers would say they would fit no problem but u have to reasly take a close look matching it up with my bbks to notice that 2 holes r off a little. But I say I should get it.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Also fox headers don't have thr egr on thr passenger side header does it ?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Ok thanks that's what I thought to. I tried to argue with the guy that I called at amk. But he said they used a different bolt patteren. They must make a bad product. But really they look like sone really good headers And today I'm gping to try to drill them out just a little. If nobody knew anybetter that looked at my headers would say they would fit no problem but u have to reasly take a close look matching it up with my bbks to notice that 2 holes r off a little. But I say I should get it.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

No they don't have the egr tube on the headers. Only the sn95 5.0.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt View Post

I went to their website.
Looks like they are a small company who cater mainly to foreign cars.
They DO NOT "use a different bolt pattern". The company evidently just can't build them properly.
The guy must be a wingnut who doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

If you can massage the bolt holes enough to get them bolted to the heads they should work, but don't be surprised if you have other fitment issues.

On the plus side, they are supposed to be SS so maybe they won't rust up and rot out anytime soon.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's what I was thinking I hate talkim to customer service amd when the try to argue with u about something. But yeah the r ss. And they look pretty good. I got them on finally lol. But there is one bolt on each side that I can't get the bolt started cuz the head of the bolt is hitting the side of the runner and it is cockin the bolt at a angle. I hate to attempt it but it looks like I'm gpinh to have to try to put a little dent somehow in the runner so I can get the bolt straight. U got any ideas
Old 12-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
Road Trip!

A lot of guys manipulate headers for clearancing certain things.i would just use a ball peen and carefully put a small dent where needed.also can you grind the bolt a little bit without messing it up?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I could possible grind the washer down a little that's made into the bolt I don't know if it would give me enough though. Have u ever seen the driverside flange on shorty headers to be barly touching the bellhousing. I think there might be a 1/4 inch gap in between it but I haven't got under it yet to confirm. I just stuck my hand down to the flange from standing at the driver side fender and noticed it
Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: headers

Use the small hex head or allen head header bolts.
They will give you a lot more clearance.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Man I wouldn't put those headers anywhere near my car. I can promise you that they are going to have issues with exhaust leaks and bolts backing out. Not worth the headache.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT