Dss or Chp? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Dss or Chp?

Has anyone heard about how good Dss or Chp really are? I was looking and a Dss short block but they are still two bolt mains. I'm not too keen on that one. I was just wondering if anyone knew if either company are reliable. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
DDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Dss or Chp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDubs View Post
Has anyone heard about how good Dss or Chp really are? I was looking and a Dss short block but they are still two bolt mains. I'm not too keen on that one. I was just wondering if anyone knew if either company are reliable. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
I have read good reviews on each in magazines and I have also seen posts by unhappy customers. Overall I think either company is probably ok.

Any of the lower priced engine shortblock assemblies are going to be 2-bolt mains. Going to a 4-bolt main is always going to cost considerably more because of the $1500 and up cost of the block alone.

DSS claims 600 HP or maybe a bit more with their 2-bolt main engines that are equipped with their main stud girdle and windage tray assembly. I don't know how true that is, but I plan to test it at some point in the future.

My shortblock was built by Keith Craft Racing and it has held up very well at around 405 HP at the crankshaft for the last 10 years or so.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well if and when I do go to a four bolt main block what do you think about the R-302? I know in this world you get what you pay for but I just don't think I can come up with the big $ for something like a dart block.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDubs
Well if and when I do go to a four bolt main block what do you think about the R-302? I know in this world you get what you pay for but I just don't think I can come up with the big $ for something like a dart block.
Well at least not with the small amount of patience that I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Well at least not with the small amount of patience that I have.
I don't think they make the R-302 anymore.
The least expensive ($1500-$1600) 4-bolt main block is the Boss 302 block.
It should work just fine for your purposes.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea that's The one that I meant to say. I originally wanted to build a thousand hp small block but realistically it will probably be around 7-800 hp. Limited street drag car.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Yea that's The one that I meant to say. I originally wanted to build a thousand hp small block but realistically it will probably be around 7-800 hp. Limited street drag car.
That's the same goal I'm shooting for eventually, but first I plan to test the limits of the stock factory block just to see how long I can make it live and how much HP I can get out of it.

The 1000 HP is easily doable nowadays.
A balanced twin TC system would be my choice of HP adder.
I favor the twin because you can mirror both sides of the engine without any flow reduction to either side which will ensure each cylinder is doing its part.
See the You Tube videos from Nelson Racing Engines and their new "
Mirror Image" systems. They are nothing short of awesome!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDubs
With a goal like that I'd look into a 351w stroker, 393ci, 408ci, and with the right block you can go to a 427ci SB
Old 12-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Actually I was gonna build a single turbo blow through 331 but didn't want to deal with the plumbing and such. Now the plan is looking like a procharged 408. I think either one would make a good car.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So do y'all think a boss 302 block can handle about 800 or should I just save up for a dart block?
Old 12-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
So do y'all think a boss 302 block can handle about 800 or should I just save up for a dart block?
The Boss 302 and Boss 351 blocks from FRPP can handle up to around 1500 HP, just make sure the internals you choose are up to the task as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT