maf - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 172
maf

Hey guys I was just wandering something my first mustang was a 95 gt auto and I just remembered it didn't have a maf on it nowhere and it had a hypertech chip in it. I always though it had to have a maf. But thst was 4 years ago and at the time I didn't know a whole lot about them. But I know for a fact it didn't have one it just had a kn filter on it connected to the factory soft air duct to the tb. The plastic box that holds the maf wasn't even there. But how did it even run right and idle good with out it.
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: maf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt View Post
Hey guys I was just wandering something my first mustang was a 95 gt auto and I just remembered it didn't have a maf on it nowhere and it had a hypertech chip in it. I always though it had to have a maf. But thst was 4 years ago and at the time I didn't know a whole lot about them. But I know for a fact it didn't have one it just had a kn filter on it connected to the factory soft air duct to the tb. The plastic box that holds the maf wasn't even there. But how did it even run right and idle good with out it.

If it was EFI it had to have had one somewhere in the intake tube or else it would not run right.
Here are pics of location and what the factory MAF looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95 Mustang MAF.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	36055  
Attached Images
 
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 172
Ok thanks. I just don't remember seeing it on there. I know that the k and n filter went directly on the soft rubber duct tube going to the tb. And I remember one day I was driving it and it started missing real bad and pop the hood and the filter came off half way and it was sucking In air. Put the filter back on and the missing was gone. That has me puzzled. Can on my 94 now. I can take the filter all the way off for a min and it doesn't even make a difference. Do u think that hypertech chip could had bypassed thr maf somehow?
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: maf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt View Post
Ok thanks. I just don't remember seeing it on there. I know that the k and n filter went directly on the soft rubber duct tube going to the tb. And I remember one day I was driving it and it started missing real bad and pop the hood and the filter came off half way and it was sucking In air. Put the filter back on and the missing was gone. That has me puzzled. Can on my 94 now. I can take the filter all the way off for a min and it doesn't even make a difference. Do u think that hypertech chip could had bypassed thr maf somehow?
I don't see how a chip could bypass the MAF.
The MAF senses how much air is flowing through the tube and sends a signal to the computer which uses that signal several other sensor signals to determine how much fuel to use.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otlaw80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 504
Re: maf

Maybe someone had put a SD engine in it for some reason? Could explain why there wasn't a MAF.
__________________
1986 GT T-Top. Driving Project
Otlaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80
Maybe someone had put a SD engine in it for some reason? Could explain why there wasn't a MAF.
Hmm.. Indeed.. Why go through that though.. Not saying they didn't cause if there was no MAF then that would be the only logical reasoning!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otlaw80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 504
Re: maf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Hmm.. Indeed.. Why go through that though.. Not saying they didn't cause if there was no MAF then that would be the only logical reasoning!
I agree it doesn't make the most sense to do it, but...

ps. I love the final line in your sig, thats usually my plan B as well.
__________________
1986 GT T-Top. Driving Project
Otlaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80

I agree it doesn't make the most sense to do it, but...

ps. I love the final line in your sig, thats usually my plan B as well.
Cool thanks man!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Injectors not pulsing? Otlaw80 1979-1995 Mustang GT 21 07-27-2014 04:12 PM
MAF not needed?!? MustangGT02 1996-2004 Mustang GT 2 11-26-2011 10:04 AM
maf shawnpbigelow 1979-1995 Mustang GT 17 10-26-2011 04:37 PM
Bad MAF? MustangGT02 1996-2004 Mustang GT 22 08-28-2011 09:53 AM
MAF t0t4lbl4ck0ut 1996-2004 Mustang GT 4 07-20-2011 01:53 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:19 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.