Alt problem? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cm644rodrigues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 60
Alt problem?

As driving my 87 today in third and Roma dropped off to zero amp light and batt light came on so I pulled off and checked batt connections and alt connections. Everything was fine. Car started right up and I continued on til I got home. This came out of the blue. What's going on is my alt dying?
Cm644rodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Your local AutoZone will test it for you.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Alt problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm644rodrigues View Post
As driving my 87 today in third and Roma dropped off to zero amp light and batt light came on so I pulled off and checked batt connections and alt connections. Everything was fine. Car started right up and I continued on til I got home. This came out of the blue. What's going on is my alt dying?
Sounds like the alternator quit charging.
If you have a voltage tester and the car will still start, hook up the tester to the battery and start the engine. Make sure it is in park or neutral as required and the e-brake is set.

Right after startup your voltage should be around 14 -14.5 volts and after it has run a bit it may drop off to 12.5 - 13.5. That shows you the alternator is charging. If it doesn't, then the alt is not working or the voltage regulator has failed.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
jwhayne0001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Sounds like the alternator quit charging.
If you have a voltage tester and the car will still start, hook up the tester to the battery and start the engine. Make sure it is in park or neutral as required and the e-brake is set.

Right after startup your voltage should be around 14 -14.5 volts and after it has run a bit it may drop off to 12.5 - 13.5. That shows you the alternator is charging. If it doesn't, then the alt is not working or the voltage regulator has failed.
I've had decent random luck tapping the alt with a hammer while watching the volts and SOMETIMES will temporarily knock the brushes down but it isn't permanent
jwhayne0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Registered User
Newbie
 
86TBarHatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: New Hampshire
Posts: 18
I replaced the regulator in mine the other day and it fixed all my charging/voltage drop issues.
86TBarHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Cm644rodrigues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TBarHatch
I replaced the regulator in mine the other day and it fixed all my charging/voltage drop issues.
Regulator? Can you explain a little
Cm644rodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Alt problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm644rodrigues View Post
Regulator? Can you explain a little
The regulator, regulates the voltage coming out of the alternator.

If you have a 2G alternator it looks like this - 2G Alt
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
aegischief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Your local AutoZone will test it for you.
+1
Most likely
A failing alternator. Have it tested.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch problem 96 stang 1979-1995 Mustang GT 4 09-14-2011 11:38 PM
Fuel problem help! NateNasty 1979-1995 Mustang GT 51 09-13-2011 04:37 PM
Need Help Engine Problem! PonyBoyV6 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 6 08-30-2011 06:16 PM
Problem with OBD Code P0455 tonyjuan 1996-2004 Mustang GT 8 08-24-2011 10:51 PM
Please Help Transmission Problem znpzmustang Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 1 07-26-2011 01:52 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



11:05 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.