Intake options? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
All4sho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
Intake options?

I have an 88 gt. Vortech s-trim pushing 8psi, 70mm throttle body, gt-40p heads, 1.70 roller rockers with shorter push rods, bbk shorty headers, mass air conversion, stock cam. I have a couple choices for intakes. Was looking for some help on what I should pick up. (1) GT-40P upper and lower, (2) Comp Polymer or a Trick Flow (street heat) upper and lower. I am looking for the best one for what I have done to this point. Any goods and or bads that anyone has come across with any of them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
All4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Out of those 3 I would go with the trick flow. It looks great and has a great flow rate as well.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4sho
I have an 88 gt. Vortech s-trim pushing 8psi, 70mm throttle body, gt-40p heads, 1.70 roller rockers with shorter push rods, bbk shorty headers, mass air conversion, stock cam. I have a couple choices for intakes. Was looking for some help on what I should pick up. (1) GT-40P upper and lower, (2) Comp Polymer or a Trick Flow (street heat) upper and lower. I am looking for the best one for what I have done to this point. Any goods and or bads that anyone has come across with any of them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You also can check out Edelbrock performer RPM II intake
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Gster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 173
I had the GT40 intake on my 95 GT and loved it. I didn't have a supercharger, but I had the MAF and throttle body with magna flow exhaust from headers to hi pipe to muffler.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gster
I had the GT40 intake on my 95 GT and loved it. I didn't have a supercharger, but I had the MAF and throttle body with magna flow exhaust from headers to hi pipe to muffler.
Sorry. H-pipe. No cats
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
All4sho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
I have the gt-40p intake. A friend has the trick flow and another friend has the comp intake. I am trying to figure out if it would b worth picking up one of the other intakes instead of using the gt. would be worth it to me to port and polish the gt intake and say the hell with the other 2? I hope to figure it out soon first weekend of the new year I am tearing the car apart.
All4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
You should be fine with the gt40 intake. Porting it wouldn't hurt a bit, and may flow more than the track heat intake after a port job.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
All4sho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
That's good to know. Thanks.
All4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
88fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94

You also can check out Edelbrock performer RPM II intake
I agree in my opinion I would run with the RPM II
88fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
04machazblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 672
Don't forget holly system max they did a study on mmff and the holly, trick flow, and edelbrock all showed to be pretty equal my friends runs a holly system max system and he puts 590hp to the wheels o and it's turbo'd
__________________
2004 mach 1(totaled=() 93 mustang lx white
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
All4sho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
I was asking about the 3 I have listed for the fact that that I either have them or can get them for a great price. I have the gt-40p intake. But 2 friends have the other two intakes for cheap. From the feedback I am getting I might just stay with the gt intake port, polish and gasket match it and give it a shot. I know there are alot of intakes out there that are as good or better but I would have to drop some big $$$, more than I would if I picked up one of the other ones.
All4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4sho
I was asking about the 3 I have listed for the fact that that I either have them or can get them for a great price. I have the gt-40p intake. But 2 friends have the other two intakes for cheap. From the feedback I am getting I might just stay with the gt intake port, polish and gasket match it and give it a shot. I know there are alot of intakes out there that are as good or better but I would have to drop some big $$$, more than I would if I picked up one of the other ones.
Will your buddy's ship? I'm looking for an intake now....
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:55 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Intake options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4sho View Post
I have the gt-40p intake. A friend has the trick flow and another friend has the comp intake. I am trying to figure out if it would b worth picking up one of the other intakes instead of using the gt. would be worth it to me to port and polish the gt intake and say the hell with the other 2? I hope to figure it out soon first weekend of the new year I am tearing the car apart.

I have the Comp Polymer upper to fit my Cobra lower, but I'm concerned about a plastic intake being able to stay sealed up under boosted conditions.
Why don't you try that one and let me know how it works out?

Out of the three, I'd get the Trick Flow.
If you have the money for another choice, I'd go with the Systemax recommendation.
From what I have read it works really well with boosted engines.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
All4sho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
I don't think they will ship them, sorry. The comp intake does hold up to boost. The guy who has the comp bought it for his supercharged 5.0 but wrecked it before he got it on. His friend has one on a car with 10psi from a vortech and has yet to split it. Like I said I don't know what to get. They all have their pros and cons just trying to get the one with more pros. I do appreciate the input, thank you.
All4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Intake options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4sho View Post
I don't think they will ship them, sorry. The comp intake does hold up to boost. The guy who has the comp bought it for his supercharged 5.0 but wrecked it before he got it on. His friend has one on a car with 10psi from a vortech and has yet to split it. Like I said I don't know what to get. They all have their pros and cons just trying to get the one with more pros. I do appreciate the input, thank you.

That's good to know that they will hold up to boost.
But if it ever backfires very hard I bet it would be toast.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
All4sho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
That is true. I guess we will find out how tough they really are. They say they work really good on boosted motors but at high rpm. Don't get me wrong, I will run it up now and then. I am looking for an intake that works well throughout the entire rpm range. Out of the 3 I have to chose from.
All4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Intake options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4sho View Post
That is true. I guess we will find out how tough they really are. They say they work really good on boosted motors but at high rpm. Don't get me wrong, I will run it up now and then. I am looking for an intake that works well throughout the entire rpm range. Out of the 3 I have to chose from.
The "very" short runners on the box intakes work well on boosted engines too. If you have pressure to the intake you don't really need all that much intake runner length for low end torque.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
All4sho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
That's what I have been told. But I want power throughout the band. I am leaning towards the comp because I know it will run like a raped ape when I lean into it. You know how it is when you are just driving along and the "kid" pulls up next to you and thinks his ricer is the cats ***.
All4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #18
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Intake options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4sho View Post
That's what I have been told. But I want power throughout the band. I am leaning towards the comp because I know it will run like a raped ape when I lean into it. You know how it is when you are just driving along and the "kid" pulls up next to you and thinks his ricer is the cats ***.

What does the Comp upper fit?
Make sure it fits your lower, or do you get the Comp and lower together?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
All4sho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
The comp bolts to the the factory lower. If I get it I am going massage it a little bit. Gasket match it and a little more to let it flow smoother.
All4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Intake options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4sho View Post
The comp bolts to the the factory lower. If I get it I am going massage it a little bit. Gasket match it and a little more to let it flow smoother.
Gasket matching and a little polishing and smoothing of the intake runners will definitely help.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
All4sho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
Yeah, it is still up in the air right now. Next week the motor goes under the knife, so I have to make my mind up very soon. I just want the most punch for the money I am going to spend. Next year will be different story. I have a bear block that is getting built to hold 10-12psi. Look the hell out!
All4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Intake options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4sho View Post
Yeah, it is still up in the air right now. Next week the motor goes under the knife, so I have to make my mind up very soon. I just want the most punch for the money I am going to spend. Next year will be different story. I have a bear block that is getting built to hold 10-12psi. Look the hell out!
Are you using a stock block?
If you are I would offer some advice if you wish?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
All4sho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
Yeah stock block. Going to drop the compression to around 7:1 all new internals. Starting fresh and going from there. My goal is to have it done by next winter so when the snow is flying I am wrenching in a nice warm garage. Merry Christmas to me!
All4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4sho
Yeah stock block. Going to drop the compression to around 7:1 all new internals. Starting fresh and going from there. My goal is to have it done by next winter so when the snow is flying I am wrenching in a nice warm garage. Merry Christmas to me!
That's reaaaally low... 8:1 should be low enough.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #25
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Intake options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4sho View Post
Yeah stock block. Going to drop the compression to around 7:1 all new internals. Starting fresh and going from there. My goal is to have it done by next winter so when the snow is flying I am wrenching in a nice warm garage. Merry Christmas to me!
7:1 compression is quite low.
For internals make sure you choose good quality forged crank, rods and pistons. They are going to be subjected to some pretty extreme stresses.

For the boost pressures you are looking at and the HP you are likely to develop, I would definitely consider installing the DSS Main Support System and the Valley Girdle Pro to help strengthen the block and maybe prevent it from splitting down the middle as they are prone to do.

To seal up your heads to the block and hold in the extra cylinder pressure may require a specific grade finish to the block deck. Check with your head gasket of choice's manufacturer to see what is required. I know the Cometic MLS gaskets require a 50 RA or finer finish.

CamQuest can help you choose the proper camshaft for your build.

Better lubrication flow can be obtained by thoroughly cleaning, polishing (with a die grinder or Dremel) and rounding off any sharp edges of the oiling passages. If possible, slightly enlarging the passage from the oil filter to the oiling system passages helps the flow considerably.
(I did all of this on a 429 Ford engine. The results were excellent. When starting the engine, it had oil pressure immediately and the oil was able to get to the far end of the system much quicker.)

The block can be further strengthened by tapping the side freeze plug holes and plugging them with cast iron threaded plugs. I believe it takes 1 1/4" iron pipe plugs.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
All4sho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
I will definitely have to print that out. But that is alot of info I will have to keep in mind. Thank you very much!
All4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #27
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Intake options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4sho View Post
I will definitely have to print that out. But that is alot of info I will have to keep in mind. Thank you very much!
You're Welcome & Merry Christmas!
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
All4sho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26
Yes sir thank you and Merry Christmas to you.
All4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Does anyone know if the have a air flow chart for different intake manifolds to compare ?
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #30
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Intake options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
Does anyone know if the have a air flow chart for different intake manifolds to compare ?
They are out there, but finding them can sometimes be a chore.
Do some Google searches on the brands you are looking for using various search terms like, intake, air flow, comparison, charts, CFM, etc.etc..
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Here's a chart I found on stangnet of different intake air flows

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru.../#post-6462793
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2301775774.png
Views:	103
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	37178  
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5.4 modular swap HPS intake ?? victory181 1996-2004 Mustang GT 0 10-27-2011 07:12 PM
Cracked Intake manifold... bobsurvives 1996-2004 Mustang GT 7 10-16-2011 01:03 AM
Intake Manifold vs Intake Man-child jbanks 1996-2004 Mustang GT 17 08-02-2011 05:55 AM
5.0 Intake cover RED! wnt2gofst Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 2 07-05-2011 12:11 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



02:57 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.