fox body twin turbo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #1

fox body twin turbo

Ok guys i was into the import scene for a while. (had a dodge neon with a lot of work done to it) I have done some research i want to build a twin turbo fox body i know everything about my old car as fas as parts compression i want to get something sick low though close to like 8.1.8 ratio for compression.. im going to be running at least a t3/t4 garrett turbo setup probally something a little big bigger though 500hp capabale each. i am shooting for 800 Hp basically building the kit and the motor from the ground up i know there are plenty of kits but i would rather do it custom for what i am looking for. I have seen a few turbo mustangs but i cant seem to find to much information on them. I am looking to make the motor bullet proof this is not going to be a strictly drag car this is going to be a weekend warrior car. i am tired of the import scene and i want the huge power from the turbo but i want a v8. I plan on pushing 12 lbs of boost possibly a little more (depending on traction and if i have to run slicks or just sticky sticky tires) and i have some questions on transmissions as well. i was debating manual vs auto at that level of hp. if anyone has any suggestions i would be glad to hear theme

thank you in advance. i dont have the car yet but i was looking at a 88 5.0 i know this is going to be at least a 10k project for teh motor and other components..

scott
suis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow
Re: fox body twin turbo

Look for a Fox for the usable body because you wont be using the production 5.0 for that much power. Dart FTW.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #3

what motor can handle the hp then? so i can begin looking and that makes things a lot easier i know of a lot of non running mustangs 4 bangers if i can just put a motor in... that would be easier..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

The Turbo Forums.com has more information than you could ever want to know about turbo Windsors.

As for non-running four bangers, it may not be as easy as you think. The ECU, engine wiring harness, front suspension, brakes, rear end, transmission and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting is all different. Some of it you can get away without replacing (i.e. suspension and brakes if you have a death wish), but most of it... you can't.

If you know your way around these cars and have access to parts, it's not a big deal. If you don't or you don't, it can be easier to just spend the extra money on a V8 car.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you buy a 4 banger be ready to rip it down to the frame and rebuild EVERY thing up... to do it right its not cheap and its a lot of work... but when you are done you will have a nice car~ even if I had a v8 car I would still do this to ensure it was top quality.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #6

i want to do the twin turbo setup on a v8 is what i am saying. to get the 800hp range ( at least thats what we are shooting for.) so that everything is not a complete waste. but what i am saying is does anyone have any ideas? for me for teh motor shouls i use stock 5.0 v8 and build it or?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suis View Post
i want to do the twin turbo setup on a v8 is what i am saying. to get the 800hp range ( at least thats what we are shooting for.) so that everything is not a complete waste. but what i am saying is does anyone have any ideas? for me for teh motor shouls i use stock 5.0 v8 and build it or?
The weakness behind the production 5.0 is that it likes to split up the middle from the crank in the neighborhood of 500hp. This is subjective as not all blocks are 100% the same, but the usual neighborhood. A lot of big time 5.0 builders use Dart blocks.

You "might" be able to brace/girdle the block, to help it withstand some more, but I'm not sure on that one. Someone please correct this if not. In any case, it's probably not worth it to keep the original.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

why are you going twin instead of single? not that one is wrong but its best to ask yourself that question before you get into it full on.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #9

i would liek to go twin vs the single becasue the setup i want to go with is going to make it easier to be honest. and its a somewhat unique setup that i haev not seen to many of. the turbo setup i know what i want to do with it. someone i know said that the block doesnt like pure power of 500 or more but if i built it from the bottem up cams, pistons, rods, head, and everything i should be fine at 800hp. now i need help with trans and rear end questions.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by suis View Post
i would liek to go twin vs the single becasue the setup i want to go with is going to make it easier to be honest. and its a somewhat unique setup that i haev not seen to many of. the turbo setup i know what i want to do with it. someone i know said that the block doesnt like pure power of 500 or more but if i built it from the bottem up cams, pistons, rods, head, and everything i should be fine at 800hp. now i need help with trans and rear end questions.
It's not the internals or the top end that wont take the power, it's the block itself lol.

As for the list, upon a quick scan, it looks pretty good.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:52 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Upon second look, you'll want bigger injectors. Cobra's come stock with 39# and I think say, people like PureVenom have upgraded to I think 60's and he is somewhere above 500 whp.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:34 AM   #13

what motor is that so i can find it and look for the parts the dart motor. is it just a 351w motor? i know those are solid as a rock motors. but let me know.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:10 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Dart Small Block Ford Aluminum Race Blocks - summitracing.com

They have a few examples here.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:46 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

#1) Don't spend $340 on a OTS cam when you can have a custom grind for $325.
#2) Don't buy Bosch fuel injectors.
#3) You need to decide if you want the 500 hp or the 800 hp. It's going to have a huge impact on the parts you need. If you only want 500, just get a plain old 351. They hold around 650+ rwhp reliably.
#4) Here are some things you may want to add to your list:
Heads
Intake
Crank
Rods
Bearings
Gaskets
Throttle Body
MAF
Radiator
Fan (Preferably electric)
Transmission (Probably either a Viper spec T-56, G-Force T5 or a Tremec TKO if you want manual. I don't know what autos to recommend because I couldn't care less about them.)
Clutch
Shifter
31-spline rear end with axles to match
Tires that will make it worth while

I'm probably still missing a lot that you don't already have.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:23 AM   #16

Fully built Girdled production 351w FTW! The 351 will be plenty and will take u into the 600+rwhp with the right tuning. If your stuck on twins remember you need two wastegates so add another $200, and the garrett t3/t4's need to be .48 and .68 on the a/r.
boost addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

To build a turbo fox and do it right you are looking at some serious coin (you can of course cut corners and half *** stuff but... to do it right...)
Old 11-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

its my honest opinion that your getting way over your head if your asking these sorts of questions and preparing for what you claim to be planning..

im only trying to help you here, when I say plan a bit more realistically..
here I see you want to run dual turbo's with no meantion of an aftermarket block 800 CHP and in your list of cool **** to buy you have an OTS cam
you also had no meantion of a tuning solution either.

I'd run a supercharged stock 302 first and go from there.
all the money in the world wont help you without the knowledge.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
fox body